TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #991
RTPGiants

So couple of interesting followups.

I came home and had a message waiting from TWC (I wish they'd actually use my cell) stating that there was an area problem that has been resolved.

I checked Tivo, and ESPN is still pixelated. I can quickly change off of it before it completely hoses up the TA/CC though.

I then tried my ancient HD box from TWC (non-DVR). This does not show pixelation, but instead flashes to a black screen about once every 2 seconds and then resyncs. This would seem to indicate that it too is having some sort of signal problem, but that it handles it differently.

Of interest is that 1501 (ESPN2) seems to be partially bad. I see no issues on Tivo, but on the HD box, it exhibits the same screen-to-black behavior, but much less frequently, maybe about once per 20-30 seconds.

For reference, my TA diag screens are reporting FDC of -8, RDC of 54. Both seem to vary a few db from time to time, but are pretty much in that range. I forget how to check signal strength on this box. I know there used to be a channel that had it.
RTPGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #992
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPGiants View Post

I came home and had a message waiting from TWC (I wish they'd actually use my cell) stating that there was an area problem that has been resolved.

I checked Tivo, and ESPN is still pixelated. I can quickly change off of it before it completely hoses up the TA/CC though.

I then tried my ancient HD box from TWC (non-DVR). This does not show pixelation, but instead flashes to a black screen about once every 2 seconds and then resyncs. This would seem to indicate that it too is having some sort of signal problem, but that it handles it differently.

Of interest is that 1501 (ESPN2) seems to be partially bad. I see no issues on Tivo, but on the HD box, it exhibits the same screen-to-black behavior, but much less frequently, maybe about once per 20-30 seconds.

For reference, my TA diag screens are reporting FDC of -8, RDC of 54. Both seem to vary a few db from time to time, but are pretty much in that range. I forget how to check signal strength on this box. I know there used to be a channel that had it.
Signal problems should never be able to hose your TiVo like happened here -- but unfortunately they can. (Just as network problems should never be able to lock up your TiVo when using Netflix -- but they can.)

Your FDC/RDC values both suggest too much signal loss between your TiVo and the cable plant. The RDC adjusts itself to a higher than average value in order to overcome the loss (as I understand it anyway). Having the cable co check your signal probably is a good thing.

DVR Diagnostics will give you signal strength, SNR and RS Error counts for the two tuned channels. Interesting to see if the low strength (less than 70), low SNR (less than 33) or growing RS error counts correlate with your video problems.

Each of your channel signals is sharing a 6 MHz QAM modulation channel with several other signals. I suspect the QAM channel that carries ESPN also carries ESPN2 and there is something wrong with that QAM modulator. At least that's one theory that could explain it. Doesn't matter -- your cable co has to figure it out (hopefully).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #993
clcbmason

Same Issue in Chapel Hill

Quote:

I was having the same issues, the screen going black following attempts to go to ESPN. I was convinced my Tivo died until I came here, thinking that the video card had crapped out. Just tried it again and the same thing happened. I have a truck in route and will let you know what happens with a new card.

The bummer is that I bought a Premier and was just going to have him install the card in that, again thinking that it was a dead Tivo HD.

Keep you posted. Hopefully the new card works, although I am not hopeful.
clcbmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #994
RTPGiants

I'm really skeptical of anyone telling me my FDC/RDC are out of range. First off, they vary. RDC bounces between the 40s and 50s. Second, they've been in this range for more than a year with very few problems since SCSIRaid's pixelation fixes. This combined with all the other people having problems really makes me think this is way beyond "my" signal strength.

And good luck to the guy above me with the truck roll. Please try to give him as much info as you can on the issue. If a new CC fixes it, great, but I really have my doubts. It's possible a Premier will handle the issue differently though, so you might get lucky. Another reason I'm reluctant to deal with TWC is that the last time they touched my CC it took them hours to get the stupid thing authorized. Popping in a new one combined with 20 minute Tivo reboots (due to acquiring channels) has potential to waste a LOT of time.

Some other info. ESPN2 (1501) reports QAM 256, 87 signal strength, SNR of 35dB, 0 RS Uncorrected, 26 RS Corrected (not rising). I'm not going to change it over to 1500 as I don't want to lock Tivo at the moment. But on 1105, it's also QAM 256, 100 signal strength, 36 SNR, 0 for both RS. Noteable difference is that 1105 is in a much lower frequency.

Last edited by RTPGiants : 01-20-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #995
clcbmason

Quote:
I'm really skeptical of anyone telling me my FDC/RDC are out of range. First off, they vary. RDC bounces between the 40s and 50s. Second, they've been in this range for more than a year with very few problems since SCSIRaid's pixelation fixes. This combined with all the other people having problems really makes me think this is way beyond "my" signal strength.

And good luck to the guy above me with the truck roll. Please try to give him as much info as you can on the issue. If a new CC fixes it, great, but I really have my doubts. It's possible a Premier will handle the issue differently though, so you might get lucky. Another reason I'm reluctant to deal with TWC is that the last time they touched my CC it took them hours to get the stupid thing authorized. Popping in a new one combined with 20 minute Tivo reboots (due to acquiring channels) has potential to waste a LOT of time.

Some other info. ESPN2 (1501) reports QAM 256, 87 signal strength, SNR of 35dB, 0 RS Uncorrected, 26 RS Corrected (not rising). I'm not going to change it over to 1500 as I don't want to lock Tivo at the moment. But on 1105, it's also QAM 256, 100 signal strength, 36 SNR, 0 for both RS. Noteable difference is that 1105 is in a much lower frequency.

Truck roll and new CC appear to be a waste of time. The Premier did not ever recognize the card. Not sure what I am going to do now, but I think I have a new Premier AND a perfectly functioning HD.

Is a wait and see approach the best at this point?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #996
RTPGiants

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcbmason View Post
Truck roll and new CC appear to be a waste of time. The Premier did not ever recognize the card. Not sure what I am going to do now, but I think I have a new Premier AND a perfectly functioning HD.

Is a wait and see approach the best at this point?
I think I might approach it from the non-Tivo angle. Since TWC's own equipment also has problems, I'm probably going to see if they can fix that. If so, I suspect Tivo problems will resolve. I'll let them do a roll for that.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #997
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I agree -- RDC/FDC issues are probably not your problem. I just noticed they seem a little high/low compared to typical values. The large variation you are seeing does seem unusual to me. Mine are steady for weeks at a time and only vary a few dB even over many months.
Quote:
All these numbers look good. QAM256 is just the type of modulation.

and
Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #998
clcbmason

Who Knows Anything?

Just called Tivo and they said they have not heard anything. Called TWC and they said the have called Tivo and they are working on it. Is anyone working to resolve this?

In the meantime, I have what I think is a perfectly functioning Series 3 and a replacement Premier. Which one do I have the CC put into today? The premier to see if it works, or the Series 3 to confirm that the ESPN crash is legit?

How much is DirecTV again?

Talked to a CC guy at TW and he said they are working on it, but they are confused as to what caused it and why it happened in such a confined radius.

Last edited by clcbmason : 01-21-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: New Info
Old 01-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #999
notting

Quote:
J
In the meantime, I have what I think is a perfectly functioning Series 3 and a replacement Premier. Which one do I have the CC put into today? The premier to see if it works, or the Series 3 to confirm that the ESPN crash is legit?
The troubleshooter in me says put it in both just to get more data - to confirm the issue on Series 3, and see if it persists on Premiere. Whether the tech has the patience for that is another matter, and it's not worth opening up the Premiere if it's still in the box just for that.
notting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #1000
stevesdigi

New Tivo Premier/CC/TA install in Clearwater (TampaBay)

Got new HD TIVO and called TW for cablecard and TA. Installed on Thurs, guy came back on Fri and said it would take 24hrs to start working. Sat morning TIVO said it had updated cablecard and I rebooted - still no SDV but all else was good. Got a tech to come out on Thurs and he called in to get the TA authorized and all works good now. Only took a week!

Now if the internet only worked as it is supposed to ... I sure miss my VERIZON FIOS, it's not available here - sigh!
stevesdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #1001
RTPGiants

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesdigi View Post
Got new HD TIVO and called TW for cablecard and TA. Installed on Thurs, guy came back on Fri and said it would take 24hrs to start working. Sat morning TIVO said it had updated cablecard and I rebooted - still no SDV but all else was good. Got a tech to come out on Thurs and he called in to get the TA authorized and all works good now. Only took a week!

Now if the internet only worked as it is supposed to ... I sure miss my VERIZON FIOS, it's not available here - sigh!
Congrats. Typically if the TA is unauthorized, it'll flash in sequence (I think it's 8 flashes). If you happen to end up in that state again, call level 1 support and have them transfer you to the national cablecard helpdesk. They can send a "hit" that will get it going immediately w/o waiting and w/o a tech.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #1002
dlfl
Cranky old novice

8-blinks-pause is the TA's signal it has lost authorization. You can see the date/time at which this will occur (at least for Cisco TA's) in TA diagnostics, under "PowerKEY Information", 3rd page in. It's called "Sub Expires".

Although I used to have to go to NCCS for this, more recently several of us have been able to get this fixed by local support by just asking them to go to "Screen 07" or the "Customer Balancing Screen" and just hit enter. They may have no idea why this works, but it does.

and
Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #1003
notting

Quote:
Talked to a CC guy at TW and he said they are working on it, but they are confused as to what caused it and why it happened in such a confined radius.
We got an automated phone call this morning saying that a problem in our area was fixed; didn't have a chance to check it then. But I tried tonight and ESPN HD is working fine. So perhaps they figured it out.
notting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #1004
karlthepagan

I got a multi-card from TW today. I had a horrible customer service experience and they sent a guy to service my existing DVR when I wanted it replaced by a cable card for my HD TiVO.

The tech (who was very helpful) told me that TW wasn't issuing cable cards anymore! I guess I was lucky he had one in his truck... :/

Also the tech got it working in 30 minutes... speedy!
karlthepagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #1005
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by notting View Post
We got an automated phone call this morning saying that a problem in our area was fixed; didn't have a chance to check it then. But I tried tonight and ESPN HD is working fine. So perhaps they figured it out.
Wow - without a truck roll?!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #1006
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlthepagan View Post
The tech (who was very helpful) told me that TW wasn't issuing cable cards anymore! I guess I was lucky he had one in his truck... :/
Yes they are. According to the FCC they have to. As a matter of fact, very soon - if not already - they have to allow self-installs too.

Your tech was either lying or didn't have all the facts straight.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #1007
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesdigi View Post
Got new HD TIVO and called TW for cablecard and TA. Installed on Thurs, guy came back on Fri and said it would take 24hrs to start working.
I love that 24-hour thing. Not true. If they get it working properly it works instantly.

They say that so they have an excuse to leave with it not working. Or because they actually believe it.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #1008
RTPGiants

Quote:
Originally Posted by notting View Post
I got that call yesterday and it was still broken. Just tried now and all looks good!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #1009
clcbmason

I went to reinstall my Series 3, having returned the Premier, and now it does not even recognize that I have put the CC in. Did I lose the card reader in the process of taking it out and putting it back in? Or, is this the third bad card in a row?

Does a bad card elicit an error message, or does it just not register in the Tivo?

Last edited by clcbmason : 01-22-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: New Question
Old 01-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #1010
RTPGiants

Quote:
I went to reinstall my Series 3, having returned the Premier, and now it does not even recognize that I have put the CC in. Did I lose the card reader in the process of taking it out and putting it back in? Or, is this the third bad card in a row?

Does a bad card elicit an error message, or does it just not register in the Tivo?
Reboot Tivo after it's in?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #1011
PedjaR

My Tivo Premiere complained about invalid channel lineup three days ago. I allowed it to pick up new lineup (seems to be a fairly common problem at the time in Raleigh area). After that, the guide displays proper shows for non-HD channels, broadcast HD channels and EncoreHD; the rest of HD channels display "to be announced" in the guide (but work properly when watched live). I thought it is just a temporary thing, but it's been almost three days now, no improvements. Any thoughts? I forced a couple of connections, rebooted both Tivo and Tuning Adapter, to no avail. I am thinking about re-running Guided Setup, but I am afraid of losing stuff (series/wishlists, maybe even recordings).
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #1012
cwoody222

You won't lose recordings, SP's, etc by rerunning Guided Setup.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #1013
PedjaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
You won't lose recordings, SP's, etc by rerunning Guided Setup.
Thanks. What about cable card pairing and whatever info needed for tuning adapter?
Old 01-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #1014
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
Thanks. What about cable card pairing and whatever info needed for tuning adapter?
I'm not positive but I think you should be fine. The CARD is tied to your cable co account, the TiVo hardware and the CARD's serial number... none of which should change with a Guided Setup. I think.

TA should also be fine, that's just hardware, there's really no setup needed on the cable co end. Those are pretty easily swappable.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #1015
RTPGiants

No pairings or anything else is lost during a guided setup. Don't be concerned if Tivo reboots during the last step of the first one and makes you go through it all again. It takes forever, but it's ok.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #1016
PedjaR

Re-run Guided Setup, everything's fine now. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #1017
JavaJoe_2

On my truck roll (01/22/11) the tech spent about 8 hours trying to get the CC and the TA "married" and still no luck....what a joke! I also have the full digital tier. The tech only has the hardware, it's the one's that send the signal to the box that don't seem to know what's up. IMO
I guess they will be back on Wednesday to "try" again......
BTW: this is TWC in Milwaukee, WI.
This is frustrating and "Hopefully" worth it.
JavaJoe_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #1018
Grumock

Quote:
Congrats. If you happen to end up in that state again, call level 1 support and have them transfer you to the national cablecard helpdesk. They can send a "hit" that will get it going immediately w/o waiting and w/o a tech.
your right about 8 blinks but anyone can go to the "07 screen" or "customer balancing screen" and hit enter. It's not something magical that the NCCSD does.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #1019
Grumock

Quote:
Yes they are. According to the FCC they have to. As a matter of fact, very soon - if not already - they have to allow self-installs too.
Yep I think they have 7 more months before the dead line for self installs, maybe 6. LOL
Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #1020
Grumock

Quote:
I love that 24-hour thing. Not true. If they get it working properly it works instantly.

They say that so they have an excuse to leave with it not working. Or because they actually believe it.
Absolutely right!