TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #961
rtfromnc

My day will come

I consider my lucky, but I had TWC (Cary, NC) come out and install my first M Card and TA. The tech had everything working with very little trouble in less than 30 minutes. SCSIRAID has the TWC tech's in this area trained very well.

However, with all that I have been reading my day will come and I will be reporting issues like most everyone else. I will enjoy it while it lasts.
rtfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #962
cwoody222

My TA got unplugged last night and I didn't notice until this morning. I nervously plugged it back in an - thankfully - everything started working again right away.

Sad that I'm so scared about this tech. That says a lot about how unreliable it can be in many cases. Luckily, not mine.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #963
TinKC

I have 3 Premieres with 3 TAs. 2 of them I have never had any problems with since initial installation, about 7 weeks ago. The problem child of the group has had the TA replaced once. Tonight, after a long day at work, I sink into the covers and plan on watching my favorite show, the season premiere of Big Love, only to find out my TA was down and didn't record! How sad I am! (and frustrated). I'm noticing that the only channels it seems to not be tuning into are any of my HBO channels, BBCAmerica HD, Biography HD, the Style HD channel, and about 3 others. I can get all of my network HD channels. I can get basic cable HD channels like E, HGTV, ComedyCentral. I've unplugged the USB, which gives me the TA disconnected notice on the screen and TiVo recognizes the TA has been connected when I plug the USB back in but the HBO channels & StyleHD are still not tuning. Any ideas what the problem could be or a possible solution?

*pardon any typos - typing on my iPad
TinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #964
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKC View Post
I have 3 Premieres with 3 TAs. 2 of them I have never had any problems with since initial installation, about 7 weeks ago. The problem child of the group has had the TA replaced once. Tonight, after a long day at work, I sink into the covers and plan on watching my favorite show, the season premiere of Big Love, only to find out my TA was down and didn't record! How sad I am! (and frustrated). I'm noticing that the only channels it seems to not be tuning into are any of my HBO channels, BBCAmerica HD, Biography HD, the Style HD channel, and about 3 others. I can get all of my network HD channels. I can get basic cable HD channels like E, HGTV, ComedyCentral. I've unplugged the USB, which gives me the TA disconnected notice on the screen and TiVo recognizes the TA has been connected when I plug the USB back in but the HBO channels & StyleHD are still not tuning. Any ideas what the problem could be or a possible solution?

When you disconnect the USB cord is the Light blinking? If so, this is what I would do. Leave the USB unplugged & pull the power on the tuning adapter. Give it about 10 seconds then plug the POWER only back in. Let it go through it's flash dance & when it finally goes back to full solid (about 5 minutes or so)plug the usb back in.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #965
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
When you disconnect the USB cord is the Light blinking? If so, this is what I would do. Leave the USB unplugged & pull the power on the tuning adapter. Give it about 10 seconds then plug the POWER only back in. Let it go through it's flash dance & when it finally goes back to full solid (about 5 minutes or so)plug the usb back in.
Some further thoughts on this based on my experience, assuming a Cisco STA1520 TA:
All you may need to do is reboot your TiVo to force it to go through the "Acquiring Channels" phase (rotating drill bit symbol).

If you perform Grumock's suggested procedure, there can be two variations from what he said:
1. After it finishes rebooting, the TA may flash 6-blinks-pause instead of a steady light. This is OK, it's just saying it's ready to go but doesn't see a USB connection to the TiVo.
2. After you power-cycle the TA it may just flash a few times then the light goes out permanently. In this case hit the button on the front of the TA to get it to continue booting up.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #966
notting

ESPN kills my cablecard/TA/Tivo???

My Tivo HD/cablecard/TA has been pretty solid for months now... until tonight. ESPN was very pixellated, and then the screen froze. I came back 20 minutes later, and I couldn't tune anything. I would get signal lock, but a black screen.

I attemped to go into the cable card diagnostics, but would only get errors like "'Could not load CableCard screen ''//apps/Card.html'". I tried bouncing the Tivo and the TA, but it didn't really improve - it would be tunable for a couple of minutes, and then freeze again.

Some searching mentioned possibly attenuating the signal. I disconnected the amp that I had, and it magically came back to life w/o any reboots. So, I figured it was fixed... until I tuned to ESPN, at which point it would pixellate for ~5 seconds, and then freeze.
Any subsequent tuning yields a black screen (whatever was tuned on the other tuner when I switched to ESPN would still work.), and on that channel, 'Tune State' would be 'Ending'. Neither TA diagnostics nor cable card diagnostics will load.

FWIW, without the amp, Signal strength 81-93, SNR 34-35 dB.

Tuner - 693Mhz, -12 dBmV
FDC - 74Mhz, -10 dBmV
RDC - 25Mhz, 41 dBmV.

I'm at a loss why watching a particular channel would essentialy hose the entire system.
notting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #967
notting

Quote:
Originally Posted by notting View Post

Tuner - 693Mhz, -12 dBmV
FDC - 74Mhz, -10 dBmV
RDC - 25Mhz, 41 dBmV.
So, some rejiggering of where the splitters live in the system (house -> splitter -> TA -> Tivo) magically wakes it up w/o a reboot, and yields:

Signal 80-100, SNR 33-34 dB.

Tuner - 717 MHz, -5 dBmV.
FDC - 74Mhz, -3 dBmV.
RDC - 25 MHz, 32 dBmV.

And ESPN HD still breaks the tuners.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #968
SCSIRAID

Quote:
So, some rejiggering of where the splitters live in the system (house -> splitter -> TA -> Tivo) magically wakes it up w/o a reboot, and yields:

FDC - 74Mhz, -3 dBmV.
RDC - 25 MHz, 32 dBmV.

Those numbers are pretty good. Id try it myself but I am on my way out of town as we speak.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #969
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

FDC - 74Mhz, -3 dBmV.
RDC - 25 MHz, 32 dBmV.

Are those signal and SNR values a range over a number of channels? Those values should be just fine. Sometimes they vary more than that if you look at a wide range of channels.

The RDC value seems lower than typical although I'm not sure if that means anything.

If your problem is really only one channel, it's hard to see how a signal level or splitter type problem would be the explanation. But that is such a heavily watched channel you would expect they would get numerous complaints from your neighbors if the delivered signal was defective. Puzzling!

Of course there is a known example of signals that were not defective but caused problems only on TiVos, and I'm referring to the "SDV Pixelation" problem that was diagnosed by none other than SCSIRAID and finally fixed by TiVo in a software update.

and
Old 01-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #970
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post

The RDC value seems lower than typical although I'm not sure if that means anything.
The RDC is vital for SDV since it is the return. Normally it should be between 35-55. Outside of that, issues do arise.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #971
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
The RDC is vital for SDV since it is the return. Normally it should be between 35-55. Outside of that, issues do arise.
But it's still hard to see how this could explain his ESPN problem, I think. Poor SDV return communications should cause problems tuning many channels I would think.

and
Old 01-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #972
Grumock

Quote:
But it's still hard to see how this could explain his ESPN problem, I think. Poor SDV return communications should cause problems tuning many channels I would think.
I would agree, but since it's not that far off it's possible. Thing is that normally most areas ESPN is not a SDV channel though too.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #973
Grumock

Quote:

I attemped to go into the cable card diagnostics, but would only get errors like "'Could not load CableCard screen ''//apps/Card.html'". I tried bouncing the Tivo and the TA, but it didn't really improve - it would be tunable for a couple of minutes, and then freeze again.

this would indicate more likely a faulty card though if you can only access the cable card diags from time to time.

Sorry I have not been following this issue but has the card been swapped out?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #974
RTPGiants

Quote:
My Tivo HD/cablecard/TA has been pretty solid for months now... until tonight. ESPN was very pixellated, and then the screen froze. I came back 20 minutes later, and I couldn't tune anything. I would get signal lock, but a black screen.

Some searching mentioned possibly attenuating the signal. I disconnected the amp that I had, and it magically came back to life w/o any reboots. So, I figured it was fixed... until I tuned to ESPN, at which point it would pixellate for ~5 seconds, and then freeze.
Any subsequent tuning yields a black screen (whatever was tuned on the other tuner when I switched to ESPN would still work.), and on that channel, 'Tune State' would be 'Ending'. Neither TA diagnostics nor cable card diagnostics will load.

Tuner - 693Mhz, -12 dBmV
FDC - 74Mhz, -10 dBmV
RDC - 25Mhz, 41 dBmV.

I'm at a loss why watching a particular channel would essentialy hose the entire system.
Holy crap, I wish I had read this thread earlier tonight. I'm having the EXACT same problem with ESPN tonight out of the blue. If I reboot, etc. things get back to normal, but tune ESPN and I get hosed.

My FDC is -9, RDC is 48. But after the ESPN stuff I get the same TA "not available" diagnostic issue.

Trying to tweet/email with TWC right now about it.

Edited to add:
Yesterday Tivo decided to tell me my cable lineup no longer exists and to "click here" to change it. When I do that, it tells me it's no longer configured to use cable. As a consequence, I'm trying a guided setup now. Which of course resulted in a locked up "Please Wait" while the TA was attached. So it's doing a guided setup w/o the TA for now. Will replug it in after.

Last edited by RTPGiants : 01-19-2011 at 10:20 PM.
RTPGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #975
notting

Quote:
Sorry I have not been following this issue but has the card been swapped out?
Not yet. Figured I'd troll for ideas before having to get the CS confusion.

WRT to the RDC value, was mainly posting it for reference. ESPNHD isn't SDV, unless they've switched it recently.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #976
RTPGiants

Got a call from the TWC CableCard support desk.

They said they've had 6 or 7 people with the same problem as notting and me. Specifically they said the common thread was that Tivo told each of us about our channel lineup being invalid. This is true, it happened to me yesterday. They blame Tivo for that.

He disliked my -9 FDC, saying it should be -7 or lower and insisted on a truck roll to address this. I'm not sure why this is really an issue because I'm pretty sure it's been there for months, but I scheduled a Friday roll anyway.

He also said that everyone seemed to have a similar experience with ESPN (1500). I told him this suggested a problem upstream, but he wouldn't give any ground on this instead insisting it's likely a Tivo or signal issue.

In any event, I've completed guided setup and now the TA is sharing channels with Tivo. Assuming this works, I'm just going to skip tuning 1500 for now.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 PM   #977
notting

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPGiants View Post

They said they've had 6 or 7 people with the same problem as notting and me. Specifically they said the common thread was that Tivo told each of us about our channel lineup being invalid. This is true, it happened to me yesterday. They blame Tivo for that.
I assumed that someone botched something when they added the new channels for today (just got the message.). Will re-do guided setup anyway.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #978
RTPGiants

Ugh, now Tivo and the TA are fighting. Tivo told me it couldn't get channels, but it won't stop trying.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #979
RTPGiants

Ok reboot solved. TA talked with Tivo. They're happy now. Not going to try ESPN for fear of being in this mess again.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #980
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

He disliked my -9 FDC, saying it should be -7 or lower and insisted on a truck roll to address this. I'm not sure why this is really an issue because I'm pretty sure it's been there for months, but I scheduled a Friday roll anyway.
You may not realize how lucky you are to be in one of the more "TiVo-enlightened" TWC regions -- Mine, TWC SW Ohio, is not one of those!

I can't picture my region even noticing they had 6 or 7 complaints on this, and it would be a rarity to find someone who knew what an FDC was (or cared).

If these 6 or 7 complaints were from TiVo users only, you can excuse them thinking it must be a TiVo problem.

and
Old 01-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #981
RTPGiants

Quote:
You may not realize how lucky you are to be in one of the more "TiVo-enlightened" TWC regions -- Mine, TWC SW Ohio, is not one of those!

I can't picture my region even noticing they had 6 or 7 complaints on this, and it would be a rarity to find someone who knew what an FDC was (or cared).

If these 6 or 7 complaints were from TiVo users only, you can excuse them thinking it must be a TiVo problem.
This isn't level 1 support. This was the CableCard help desk. Pretty sure this is a national support level, not regional.

I do forgive them for blaming Tivo, but when all your customers are telling you tuning a specific channel triggered the problem, maybe you should investigate that.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #982
cwoody222

That's a really weird problem; please let us know how it turns out. I tried my ESPN last night and it was fine.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #983
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
This isn't level 1 support. This was the CableCard help desk. Pretty sure this is a national support level, not regional.
Yes the NCCS is national, located in one of the Carolina's actually. The number has been posted here many times, and I have recommended them. How did you get them involved? The local support is supposed to bring them in rather than you calling them directly. Most of the time my local support people have never heard of NCCS, and some have insisted it didn't exist! I've had to give them the number (!) and pressure them to call it.

Unfortunately, the last time I dealt with NCCS the person I got did not seem all that knowledgable, although I know there are people there who are very good.

and
Old 01-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #984
RTPGiants

Quote:
Yes the NCCS is national, located in one of the Carolina's actually. The number has been posted here many times, and I have recommended them. How did you get them involved? The local support is supposed to bring them in rather than you calling them directly. Most of the time my local support people have never heard of NCCS, and some have insisted it didn't exist! I've had to give them the number (!) and pressure them to call it.

Unfortunately, the last time I dealt with NCCS the person I got did not seem all that knowledgable, although I know there are people there who are very good.
I tweeted at them to @TWCableHelp. We emailed from there and they sent my email details to NCCS who then called me about 1/2 an hour later.

I agree the guy I got was not the most knowledgeable in comparison to other NCCS people I've talked with in the past, but that could be due to time of day (late night).
Old 01-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #985
RTPGiants

Talked with NCCS again. They confirmed that it's Raleigh area only, all people with problem had the "lineup no longer available" message and all related to 1500. They're checking the head end, but still think the signal is fine and therefore are escalating it up the Tivo chain. Tivo claims no firmware/channel updates.

They still want to do truck rolls to swap cable cards, etc. I'm curious if anyone else here has an appointment with them?

ETA: I also logged a case with Tivo and asked them to keep a look out for similar cases and TWC cooperation. They claim they had an email case with the same problems, but that the user was a Comcast user in NC. Seeing as Comcast doesn't service NC, I'm assuming this was a typo and is probably another TWC user.

Last edited by RTPGiants : 01-20-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #986
cwoody222

Sigh... they ALWAYS want to do truck rolls? So suddenly multiple people all had their CableCARDs / signal all fail at the same time? Idiots.

What I would do is schedule the truck roll like a week in the future just to placate them, then continue them to fix it on their end. When they did (every time), cancel the truck roll.

And the twitter folks there are very good!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #987
notting

Quote:
They still want to do truck rolls to swap cable cards, etc. I'm curious if anyone else here has an appointment with them?
Yup, they're setting up a truck roll for me for Saturday... we'll see what comes of it.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #988
Stone1555
./1337

Has anyone tested with a twc box to see if the issue happens there. If not it sounds like the TiVo just isnt meshing with the ESPNHD Signal, same as the GSOD issue that was happening only on TiVo's.

Just throwing that out there

Last edited by Stone1555 : 01-20-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Stone1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #989
RTPGiants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1555 View Post
Has anyone tested with a twc box to see if the issue happens there. If not it sounds like the TiVo just isnt meshing with the ESPN3D Signal, same as the GSOD issue that was happening only on TiVo's.

Just throwing that out there
Have not tried the TWC box I have just sitting collecting dust, but I can. But to be clear, it's not ESPN3D, it's regular ESPNHD.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #990
Stone1555
./1337

Sorry about that, post edited
Stone1555 is offline   Reply With Quote