TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #931
FrustratedInGP

Big Grin Yipee going on two weeks ...

K ... so a third techie showed up from TWC ... he's been @ the prem before ... nice enough dude ... but the poor guy after being here almost 20mins felt like a deer in the headlights ... so let me back up a min ... I can't remember were I left of on my previous post, so let's just say, that prior to this techie showing up, I was still down, no HD & with everything disconnected, I at least was able to watch SD channels. The previous techie had pulled out the two Cable Cards, swapped the external adapter, tried to re-initialize one of the cable cards, but could still not get anything working as far as high & low channels, he couldn't swap the cable card out (again) because he didn't have any on his truck, he did tell me that he was going to come back the next day with a card ... well ... three days past, he didn't call & he didn't come back, so I called TWC again & requested a tech to come on-site & replace the cable card, since at this point, I had nothing to loose. Hence, this techie showed up, with another cable card, initialized the card, the tuning adapter & for at least a solid 20mins, it was the same, no lower channels (1 to 100) & some spotting HD channels, he started testing with his meter the signal coming out of the wall & everything looked like is should be screaming at a 100mph, but alas, nothing. Then the weirdest thing happened, he disconnected the cable @ the TIVO, the RF in-put lead, waited I'd say about 30seconds & then all of a sudden, the all the channels came back. I have all my lower channels now, all my upper channels now & it's been working perfectly for two weeks now ... I can't explain it ... all I know it took no less then 4 tuning cards & three external Motorola adapter modems to get it all back together were it was before this nightmare started. I don't have anything definitive to point at ... nothing in the "aha" sense, as mentioned, the tech did swap the cable card & the tech before him swapped out the modem adapter & I swapped out all the old coax, the barrel connector at the old wall plate. But, as mentioned ... it's all working ... perfectly ... two weeks ... good luck to anyone else whom maybe going through this ... but ... all I can say I guess is have TWC keep swapping cablecards & modems till I guess a cablecard & modem agree to finally work together & the last step, disconnect the input @ the TIVO for at least 30sec's & let the TIVO reset what ever it resets internally when the RF input is connected cause that what it seems like was the missing puzzle piece in my case. Night ya'll ...
FrustratedInGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #932
cwoody222

I still don't think all these CC's and TA's are really bad hardware. I think more likely it's that the techs don't know HOW to install them and their first thought is "Well, I did everything right so the hardware MUST be bad".
Old 10-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #933
Beernutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedInGP View Post
K ... so a third techie showed up from TWC ... he's been @ the prem before ... nice enough dude ... but the poor guy after being here almost 20mins felt like a deer in the headlights ... so let me back up a min ... I can't remember were I left of on my previous post, so let's just say, that prior to this techie showing up, I was still down, no HD & with everything disconnected, I at least was able to watch SD channels. The previous techie had pulled out the two Cable Cards, swapped the external adapter, tried to re-initialize one of the cable cards, but could still not get anything working as far as high & low channels, he couldn't swap the cable card out (again) because he didn't have any on his truck, he did tell me that he was going to come back the next day with a card ... well ... three days past, he didn't call & he didn't come back, so I called TWC again & requested a tech to come on-site & replace the cable card, since at this point, I had nothing to loose. Hence, this techie showed up, with another cable card, initialized the card, the tuning adapter & for at least a solid 20mins, it was the same, no lower channels (1 to 100) & some spotting HD channels, he started testing with his meter the signal coming out of the wall & everything looked like is should be screaming at a 100mph, but alas, nothing. Then the weirdest thing happened, he disconnected the cable @ the TIVO, the RF in-put lead, waited I'd say about 30seconds & then all of a sudden, the all the channels came back. I have all my lower channels now, all my upper channels now & it's been working perfectly for two weeks now ... I can't explain it ... all I know it took no less then 4 tuning cards & three external Motorola adapter modems to get it all back together were it was before this nightmare started. I don't have anything definitive to point at ... nothing in the "aha" sense, as mentioned, the tech did swap the cable card & the tech before him swapped out the modem adapter & I swapped out all the old coax, the barrel connector at the old wall plate. But, as mentioned ... it's all working ... perfectly ... two weeks ... good luck to anyone else whom maybe going through this ... but ... all I can say I guess is have TWC keep swapping cablecards & modems till I guess a cablecard & modem agree to finally work together & the last step, disconnect the input @ the TIVO for at least 30sec's & let the TIVO reset what ever it resets internally when the RF input is connected cause that what it seems like was the missing puzzle piece in my case. Night ya'll ...
Be wary of this type of achievement. It sounds to me like there my be a loose connection inside your TiVo, and when he disconnected the RF or re-connected it, he "jiggled" it back to working. Everything you pointed at in your previous posts said bad signal. Well, the signal is fine getting to your TiVo, so, there must have been something not quite working right when the signal gets routed once inside TiVo.

That's my suspicion.
Beernutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #934
Velvetme

I just got my tuning adapter after 7* appointments (6 missed, one without the hardware)

Suggestion for future. Try it yourself/ unplug/replug/reboot until menus indicate it might be functional.
Card status locked
Authenticated with packets
Etc.

Pressed live tv twice and channel up, then down, and poof.

This came over the support line for brighthouse which is a TWC franchise, and it did work on the first card and the first TA
Velvetme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #935
SCSIRAID

All three of my TA's rebooted this evening. They are still on .1202 SW so Im not sure what may be up... They didnt do it all at once though... about an hour apart. Good news is that everything came back up cleanly.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #936
Klankster

Seriously, I'm just biding my time until DirecTV releases their new Tivo. The whole tuning adapter technology is one of the biggest kludges I've ever seen. The number of recordings I've missed because of this craptastic TA technology is unbelievable. For something like five straight months on the 28th day of each month, my TA went into the 8-blink mode while we weren't around and the machine missed a bunch of recordings. Apparently something caused the Time Warner system to not extend the TA's authorization. Finally I was able to streamline the process of getting a TW tech to reset the TA, but I'm sick of missed recordings and the headaches of having to call Tier 3 support and talk their techs through the process of resetting their hardware. If it wasn't the authorization extension, it was bad signal levels that prevented the TA from tuning, and the techs had to come out and futz with the signal. This never happened with our HR10-250; the only reason we tried the S3 was because DirecTV had no Tivo option after the HR10-250 was obsolete.

(Rant mode off)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Klankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #937
Tim N.

I searched through this thread and do not see answers to why my TA will not "lock". If this is already discussed, I apologize.
I am in TW, Yorba Linda. We went SDV on Nov 17, 2010. My Motorola TA blinks yellow. This is supposed to indicate it has not sync'd with the local office. I have tried to call TW. They say the TA is working fine. TW has never hit my CC during the TA calls. I am missing a few channels. When I ask TA diagnostics to come up it has no network address. Is the TA supposed to have a non-zero address? The code level is 1.35.
The TA channel check says "NO CHANNELS AVAILABLE".

Anyone have any ideas how to get this working correctly? Thank you.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #938
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I want the Direct TV HD Tivo too. I hope they come out with it soon.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #939
Klankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
I want the Direct TV HD Tivo too. I hope they come out with it soon.
I keep hearing from people not to hold my breath on the DirecTV unit. But the instant it comes out, I'm getting one and leaving Time Warner behind forever. About 30 minutes after posting my earlier message (above), my TA decided not to decode about half my premium channels, putting up the lame "this channel is temporarily not available" message. Rebooting the Tivo did nothing. I had to spend about 30 minutes on the phone talking to two different people to get the thing back up.

Get this: I call and get a regular support person (this was about 11:30 PM) and tell her I have a tuning adapter problem and need to speak to a Tier 3 support tech. She puts me on hold for a couple minutes then comes back and tells me that Tier 3 closes at 3PM!!! WTF?! I said that is not possible and that this always happens around midnight, it's happened probably a dozen times and every time I have spoken to a Tier 3 tech. Please connect me. She goes away again and a few minutes later another guy comes on and after a bunch of stuff finally has me unplug the TA, reboot it and he sends out a signal to the TA and it starts receiving the channels a few minutes later.

What a bunch. Incompetent with a Capital I. Well, everybody but the Tier 3 technician. And their hardware is crap. Unable to recover from whatever glitch happened to stop it from decoding channels. If our air traffic control system was this reliable, we'd have dozens of planes falling out of the sky every day.

Sheesh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #940
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Tom, your experience is typical. TWC keeps telling the FCC that their TA customers are generally happy. You can easily help correct this impression in just a few minutes of time -- see this.

You need to understand that the only incentive TWC has to satisfy TA and CableCARD customers (mostly TiVo owners) is the stick provided by the FCC.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #941
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

When you get the channel not available message, the Tivo usually says press select to re-tune the channel. If you change channels up and then back down it will tune in the "not available" channel.

Just try this for now. Unplug the tuning adapter and your Tivo. Wait 30 seconds. Plug in only the TA. Wait for the light to stop flashing (solid green) - this might take a few minutes. When the light is solid, then plug in your Tivo and let it boot up completely. When it's done, go to watch live TV and try to change a channel. It will say it is loading channel maps. When that is done your system will be working as good as it's going to.

Still hoping for a decent Direct TV Tivo-HD. I'm debating just doing over the air, but what will I do for ESPN and Fox News?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #942
Beernutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim N. View Post
I searched through this thread and do not see answers to why my TA will not "lock". If this is already discussed, I apologize.
I am in TW, Yorba Linda. We went SDV on Nov 17, 2010. My Motorola TA blinks yellow. This is supposed to indicate it has not sync'd with the local office. I have tried to call TW. They say the TA is working fine. TW has never hit my CC during the TA calls. I am missing a few channels. When I ask TA diagnostics to come up it has no network address. Is the TA supposed to have a non-zero address? The code level is 1.35.
The TA channel check says "NO CHANNELS AVAILABLE".

Anyone have any ideas how to get this working correctly? Thank you.
Tim,

The Moto TA's Network address doesn't really matter, but you should have an IP address (checked in the TA's "INTERACTIVE INFO" screen). Also, check the status of the SDV in the "SWITCHED DIGITAL VIDEO STATUS" screen.

If there's no IP address, have the TWC rep hit your TA.
Beernutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #943
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankster View Post
About 30 minutes after posting my earlier message (above), my TA decided not to decode about half my premium channels, putting up the lame "this channel is temporarily not available" message.
Actually, it probably wasn't half your premiums. It was probably all your SDV channels - which hyappens to be about half your premiums.

Quote:
Rebooting the Tivo did nothing.
That was your first mistake. Rebooting the TiVo is usually only necessary if you can't receive any channels, at all. Generally, it shoudl be your next-to-last resort.

Quote:
I had to spend about 30 minutes on the phone talking to two different people to get the thing back up.
That was your second mistake. Calling TWC should be your last resort.

If all you were missing was SDV channels, then probably unplugging the USB port for a few seconds and plugging it back in would have restored your channels. It sometimes takes a minute or two, but if your get the "TA Disconencted" message when you pull the USB plug and then get the "TA Connected" message when you plug it back in, you shoud be on your way to gettihg your channels back.

If that doesn't work, then unplug both the power to the TA (not the TiVo) and the USB cable. After 30 seconds, plug the power to the TA back in and wait about 3 minutes. Then plug in the USB cable. IF you still don't get the "TA Connected" message, then unplug the power to the TiVo and the USB cable. After 30 seconds, plug back in the TiVo and let it boot fully. Then plug in the USB cable.

Quote:
What a bunch. Incompetent with a Capital I. Well, everybody but the Tier 3 technician. And their hardware is crap. Unable to recover from whatever glitch happened to stop it from decoding channels. If our air traffic control system was this reliable, we'd have dozens of planes falling out of the sky every day.
Actually, the scary truth is the Air Traffic software and hardware is even less reliable than the TA. The main thing preventing planes from falling out of the air are the people in the towers and the cockpits. Fortunately, they are much, much better than TWC's CSRs.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #944
Klankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
If all you were missing was SDV channels, then probably unplugging the USB port for a few seconds and plugging it back in would have restored your channels. It sometimes takes a minute or two, but if your get the "TA Disconencted" message when you pull the USB plug and then get the "TA Connected" message when you plug it back in, you shoud be on your way to gettihg your channels back.
Well, this whole thing is kind of like working with superstitions -- Maybe if I unplug the TA, throw some chicken bones and dance clockwise around the room then plug it in it'll start working. (Top USB port? Bottom? Usually the Tier3 guys make sure I'm plugged into the bottom one (I am), and I wonder if that's superstition as well!)

I mostly restarted the Tivo because I've had Tier3 techs ask me to do so in the past and the restart takes so painfully long that I decided to do it first to save some time.

All I know is, despite Tivo saying to press SELECT again to try tuning, that pretty much never works.

I've tried various approaches in the past, including some of the things you mention, but almost without fail, getting the Tier3 guys to re-send whatever authorization it is gets the thing working again. I believe that's the only fix when you have the 8-blink thing happening -- Correct?

Speaking of which, it makes me think that perhaps someone (if they haven't done it already) should put a TA troubleshooting guide up somewhere, that lists specific failure modes and how they can be resolved. That would be really nice and perhaps save people some frustration and time.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #945
lrhorer

Quote:
Well, this whole thing is kind of like working with superstitions -- Maybe if I unplug the TA, throw some chicken bones and dance clockwise around the room then plug it in it'll start working.
No, it's based upon my personal experience and testing. I've had a bit more experience than most with TAs. San Antonio was the second city in the nation to roll out the TA, and I got mine the very first day they were made available to the public. I've had three of them, ever since they were introduced almost 21 months ago. That's something like 5 TA-years.

Quote:
(Top USB port? Bottom? Usually the Tier3 guys make sure I'm plugged into the bottom one (I am), and I wonder if that's superstition as well!)
It is. Unless I am quite mistaken, both are on the same root hub.

Quote:
I mostly restarted the Tivo because I've had Tier3 techs ask me to do so in the past and the restart takes so painfully long that I decided to do it first to save some time.
Ahem. You wanted to save time so you first tried the thing that takes the longest? I'm afraid that's poorly considered on the face of it. The fact the TiVo is the most stable device in the mix only makes it moreso. I can tell you despite a modestly significant amount of testing, I have never come across an issue where rebooting the TiVo alone ever cleared the problem.

In addition, a liittle understanding of how the TiVo and the TA work alows one to infer if the TA itself goes away, all that won't work is the SDV channels. If the CableCard goes away, then clear QAM channels will work, but not premium channels. If none of the channels work, then the TiVo has slipped into a coma, and no amount of fiddling with the TA will help.

Quote:
All I know is, despite Tivo saying to press SELECT again to try tuning, that pretty much never works.
It always works if the issue is merely the SDV feed has timed out. Any time you are not actively recording something and are "tuned" to an SDV channel, then the SDV server may allocate the stream to someone else. At that point, you will see the SELECT message. It's frequently there when I turn on one of my TVs.

Quote:
I've tried various approaches in the past, including some of the things you mention, but almost without fail, getting the Tier3 guys to re-send whatever authorization it is gets the thing working again. I believe that's the only fix when you have the 8-blink thing happening -- Correct?
No, but a corrupt customer profile can certainly cause it. Many times I have been able to recover from 8 blinks just by re-booting the TA. I don't recall ever being abe to fix 8 blinks by merely pulling the USB cable.

Quote:
Speaking of which, it makes me think that perhaps someone (if they haven't done it already) should put a TA troubleshooting guide up somewhere, that lists specific failure modes and how they can be resolved. That would be really nice and perhaps save people some frustration and time.
'Not a bad idea.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:32 AM   #946
Klankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Ahem. You wanted to save time so you first tried the thing that takes the longest? I'm afraid that's poorly considered on the face of it. The fact the TiVo is the most stable device in the mix only makes it moreso. I can tell you despite a modestly significant amount of testing, I have never come across an issue where rebooting the TiVo alone ever cleared the problem.
hehe -- Well, I meant save time on the tech call. I have had "missing channel" problems in the past that were cleared up by a Tivo reboot, and figured it was worth a shot because if it worked, I wouldn't have to spend even more time working my way through the gauntlet of Time Warner personnel to get to a Tier 3 tech, only to have him ask me to do a restart and sitting there with him waiting for it to finish the restart process. "It is still restarting?" "Yeah, it says 'just a few more moments'..."

And yeah, there was a potential net time savings because while it was restarting on my own terms, I went and did some stuff that needed doing elsewhere in the house, instead of sitting there during the call with the tech watching the "please wait" prompt spin.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #947
lrhorer

Quote:
hehe -- Well, I meant save time on the tech call.
Ah, yes. I definitely recommend going through the entire routine before calling TWC, or at least start the TiVo reboot while you are on hold waiting for a CSR to come online. Given that hold times are often double-digits, dailing the phone a bit early is not a bad idea. One can always hang up.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #948
Tim N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernutts View Post
Tim,

The Moto TA's Network address doesn't really matter, but you should have an IP address (checked in the TA's "INTERACTIVE INFO" screen). Also, check the status of the SDV in the "SWITCHED DIGITAL VIDEO STATUS" screen.

If there's no IP address, have the TWC rep hit your TA.
I called TW and requested a hit. Before that I removed power and USB from the TA; waited over 3 minutes between Power UP and reconnecting the USB; then called TW. I experienced the usual transfers before a tech understood what a TA was, but after CC 'hit' the TA status light finally went to solid yellow and the stations tuned correctly.
Then I went to the TW office. Picked up the second TA and went through the procedure again. The results were also positive.

Thank you for the advice and thank you for this Forum. Without it the world would remain "dark."
Old 12-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #949
dougdingle
HD Tech

I'm on TW in Southern California, Eagle Rock to be specific.

After filling out the web form, a couple of Motorola units arrived a month later with no email or notice.

Hooked them up, one had a dead power supply which I replaced from my shop, steady flashing yellow light on both.

Checked firmware version, it was 1.27. I had read here (or somewhere?) that 1.35 was required to have them work.

Called TW. They tried hitting them a couple of times, no joy, the CSR kept saying I had to reboot the TiVo. I said that was like computer tech support insisting I reinstall Windows, and I wouldn't reboot the TiVo until I had a solid yellow light.

Finally, he said they would roll a truck. Despite my asking the tech have two TA's with him, he shows up with one, says the guy at the factory would not give him two. Also admits he knows NOTHING about TA's, they're not due for training until the following week although TW's been shipping them for a month in this area. So I ask him if he's interested, and when he says yes, take about 10 minutes and school him. He pays attention, makes some notes, gets the concept.

We hook up the one he's brought with him, it's at firmware 1.35, he calls in, they hit it from Mom, and the TiVo spontaneously reboots. While it's rebooting, the yellow light turns solid. When it's done rebooting, it's all working. He's remarkably impressed that I knew which firmware version was required, knew where to look on the diagnostics screen, and that the damn thing actually works now.

He calls back in and insists another tech be sent to his next call because he's not done, drives all the way back to the factory to get me another TA. Shows up about 45 minutes later, we install the second one, it's also at 1.35, he calls in, they hit it, it begins working immediately. The second S3 did not reboot.

No problems so far, it's been about a week.
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #950
MustHaveTivo

OK, They sent version 1.27 TAs. If I understand correctly, they *might* automatically update once connected to cable, but if not I have to call and request an refresh and if that does not work, I need a truck roll for a new TA with 1.35.

How long would it take to get the update automatically if it were going to? An hour? A day?
MustHaveTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #951
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustHaveTivo View Post
OK, They sent version 1.27 TAs. If I understand correctly, they *might* automatically update once connected to cable, but if not I have to call and request an refresh and if that does not work, I need a truck roll for a new TA with 1.35.

How long would it take to get the update automatically if it were going to? An hour? A day?
Sorry, no idea. Mine with 1.27 were both hit repeatedly, and never got the 1.35 update. It took a couple of days between when they were hit, and when the tech showed up with the new TA, and in that time they never updated.
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #952
Grumock

Quote:

Yes it needs to have 1.35 & yes in a perfect world it should update when connected to the cable. Reality is, that sending hits to the Tuning adapter, MAY actually get it to update. More then likely though, if the update hasn't taken in an hour it's not going to take, & a truck roll will need to be scheduled for the tuning adapter to be swapped out.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #953
MustHaveTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Reality is, that sending hits to the Tuning adapter, MAY actually get it to update.
Freak out - the refresh hit did cause them to update to 1.35! Still blinking yellow, though. Do I keep waiting?

Edit - I have no IP address. So I guess I need more hits to the TA.

Last edited by MustHaveTivo : 12-19-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Read some more
Old 12-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #954
Grumock

Quote:
Freak out - the refresh hit did cause them to update to 1.35! Still blinking yellow, though. Do I keep waiting?

Edit - I have no IP address. So I guess I need more hits to the TA.
Well no IP indicates that it's not locking into a 2way mode which could be related to a signal issue. Have you tried a reboot on it since the FW updated?

Last edited by Grumock : 12-19-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #955
MustHaveTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Well no IP indicates that it's not locking into a 2way mode which could be related to a signal issue. Have you tried a reboot on it since the FW updated?
Yes, and I got another refresh hit for good measure, then rebooted again...

There's a truck roll scheduled for tomorrow, so hopefully the tech can sort it out.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #956
MustHaveTivo

Good to go

OK, we got a tech who owns a TiVo (!) but was new to TAs. He called the NCCS, who said they could "see" our TAs, but they were somehow not right, and told him to call his dispatch because they could see more info. So he did, and they said our account was messed up in several ways - 1) the ticket generated when we ordered the TAs had not been closed, 2) our TAs were not linked to our cablecards (?) and 3) our cablecards were not linked to "outlets" (?). They fixed stuff in our account and now it works.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #957
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Why do they do this?

Yesterday, a large fraction of my SDV channels would not tune. The problem was erratic, i.e., a given channel might tune now but ten minutes later it would not.

I finally noticed in TA diagnostics that the TA had rebooted at 5:30am that morning. I assume it was done by TWC. It's on a UPS. Rebooting it again seems to have solved the problem.

For several months it had been stable with just my "usual" problems of having to watch the Sub Expires date, which sometimes doesn't get updated, and missing 1 to 3 recordings per week due to the SDV tuning failure issue.

Why does TWC reboot my TA? It wasn't done as part of a Sub Expires update because that date hadn't changed after the reboot, and it usually gets updated every week or two without a reboot.

Oh I know what to do! I'll just call TWC support and ask about this!

And I'll also ask them why they haven't updated our TA firmware from 0.1001 to 0.1202. BTW does anyone know any specific advantage of the 0.1202 ?

and

Last edited by dlfl : 01-13-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #958
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Why does TWC reboot my TA? It wasn't done as part of a Sub Expires update because that date hadn't changed after the reboot, and it usually gets updated every week or two without a reboot.

And I'll also ask them why they haven't updated our TA firmware from 0.1001 to 0.1202. BTW does anyone know any specific advantage of the 0.1202 ?
I would have guessed a firmware update, but if it didn't change rev then I dunno :-(
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #959
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Yesterday, a large fraction of my SDV channels would not tune. The problem was erratic, i.e., a given channel might tune now but ten minutes later it would not.

I finally noticed in TA diagnostics that the TA had rebooted at 5:30am that morning. I assume it was done by TWC. It's on a UPS. Rebooting it again seems to have solved the problem.

For several months it had been stable with just my "usual" problems of having to watch the Sub Expires date, which sometimes doesn't get updated, and missing 1 to 3 recordings per week due to the SDV tuning failure issue.

Oh I know what to do! I'll just call TWC support and ask about this!

It could be that you had a 'hang' situation in TA firmware and a deadman timer triggered a reboot without any involvement from TWC.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #960
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
I would have guessed a firmware update, but if it didn't change rev then I dunno :-(
I hadn't thought to check for a firmware update. I checked. It didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
It could be that you had a 'hang' situation in TA firmware and a deadman timer triggered a reboot without any involvement from TWC.
It happens every 2 or 3 months. Once it happened in mid-afternoon, which seems unlikely if TWC were doing it (I would hope). I probably should just reboot it every month.

and