TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2010, 05:59 AM   #871
cwoody222

You're going to drive yourself crazy trying to fix this by rebooting and pulling cards, etc. The problem is at their end. Stop trying

However, if you REALLY want to keep trying (since waiting till Sunday can be frustrating) keep in mind that when you just CH Up and DH Down you have no control over what tuner or CableCARD is being used. That could be why you're getting different results sometimes. Maybe only 1 card is bad.

Instead, go into the CableCARD settings menu to find the Test options. It'll let you test each card independently.

But I'd still just let the tech on Sunday give you 2 new cards, and a new TA. And remember what I said - do not let the tech leave until it's fixed 100%! They CAN do this!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #872
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedInGP View Post

So I had some time before I had to goto work this morning & called TWC's NCCC ... got a fantastic tech & we walked through a couple of tests & in the end we pulled the TA & it looked like things were going to be semi normal, I thanked the tech whom is going to amend the work order I have out for this coming Sunday - new TA & cable cards + the tech is going to be advised to call the NCCC first prior to going the normal routes. With the TA pulled & the multistream cards in, the tivo was displaying the lower channels & a couple of unswitched HD channels, I did notice some pixelation on the lower channels but just chalked it up to tech glitch. Went to work, came home & low & behold half of my lower channels are gone. Power cycled the tivo, got some of the lower channels back, but, the ones which came back were so badly suffering from pixelation they can't be watched. Flipped through a couple of more channels & now all the ones which I lost prior to the power cycle are gone again - ya'll keep in mind that at this point the cablecards are still in the tivo Pulled the cable cards & did a full retune on the tivo ... all my lower channels are back & appear to be stable & no pixelation on the locals. So ? ... not enough signal ? ... goofy tivo ? I'm so confused at this point ... to re-cap with the cablecards in the tivo ... lower channels come & go & pixelation is rampant ... pull the cards ... lower channels are there, stable & no pixelation Sunday should be interesting ... I'm going to leave this alone for now ... no cable cards, no TA & see what happens in the next 24 to 48 hours ... sigh ... I really like HD !!!
Have you gone into DVR Diags and checked the signal strength and SNR on the macroblocking channels?

With the cablecards removed, you are getting analog for channels below 100. If your cableco does 'digital simulcast' (which most do) then with cablecards in you will be getting the the digital copies of channels below 100 (which will be subject to macroblocking if the signal is crap).
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:15 AM   #873
kevin120

Quote:

So I had some time before I had to goto work this morning & called TWC's NCCC ... got a fantastic tech & we walked through a couple of tests & in the end we pulled the TA & it looked like things were going to be semi normal, I thanked the tech whom is going to amend the work order I have out for this coming Sunday - new TA & cable cards + the tech is going to be advised to call the NCCC first prior to going the normal routes. With the TA pulled & the multistream cards in, the tivo was displaying the lower channels & a couple of unswitched HD channels, I did notice some pixelation on the lower channels but just chalked it up to tech glitch. Went to work, came home & low & behold half of my lower channels are gone. Power cycled the tivo, got some of the lower channels back, but, the ones which came back were so badly suffering from pixelation they can't be watched. Flipped through a couple of more channels & now all the ones which I lost prior to the power cycle are gone again - ya'll keep in mind that at this point the cablecards are still in the tivo Pulled the cable cards & did a full retune on the tivo ... all my lower channels are back & appear to be stable & no pixelation on the locals. So ? ... not enough signal ? ... goofy tivo ? I'm so confused at this point ... to re-cap with the cablecards in the tivo ... lower channels come & go & pixelation is rampant ... pull the cards ... lower channels are there, stable & no pixelation Sunday should be interesting ... I'm going to leave this alone for now ... no cable cards, no TA & see what happens in the next 24 to 48 hours ... sigh ... I really like HD !!!
Frustrated in GP you are having SNR problems it looks like your not getting enough signal to your tivo hence the missing channels.

FYI these are the SDV channels in north texas

199 Fox Soccer Plus SD
725 TV ONE HD
726 GALAVISION HD
727 OUTDOOR HD
728 INESTIGATION DISCOVERY HD
729 G4 HD
730 HSN HD
731 WE HD
732 HISTORY INTERNATIONAL HD
733 COOKING CHANNEL HD
734 DIY HD
735 CMT HD
736 CARTOON NETWORK HD
737 NICK HD
738 WEATHER CHANNEL HD
739 HLN HD
740 CNN HD
741 FNC HD
742 FBN HD
743 TruTV HD
744 TBS HD
745 HISTORY HD
746 COMEDY CENTRAL HD
747 MTV HD
748 PALLADIA
749 BET HD
750 VH1 HD
751 LMN HD
752 FOOD NET HD
753 HGTV HD
754 A&E HD
755 HD THEATER
756 DISCOVERY HD
757 ANIMAL PLANET HD
758 TLC HD
759 TRAVEL CHANNEL HD
760 PLANET GREEN HD
761 SCIENCE CHANNEL HD
762 SyFy HD
763 BRAVO HD
764 BIO HD
765 CNBC HD
766 MSNBC HD
767 SPIKE HD
768 FX HD
769 USA HD
771 NAT GEO HD
772 NAT GEO WILD HD
773 AMC HD
774 HALLMARK MOVIES HD
775 DISNEY HD
776 DISNEY XD HD
777 HALLMARK HD
778 ABC FAMILY HD
779 TCM HD
781 MLB NETWORK HD
782 NBA TV HD
783 ESPN NEWS HD
784 ESPNU HD
786 VS HD
787 FSN HD
788 SPEED HD
789 GOLF CH HD
790 CBS COLLEGE SPORTS HD
791 FOX SOCCER HD
792 FOX SOCCER PLUS HD
793 GOL TV HD
794 BIG TEN HD
795 TENNIS HD
796 ENCORE HD
797 MGM HD
798 ESPN GOAL LINE HD
805 UHD
806 SMITHSONIAN HD
807 MAV TV HD
816 HBO 2 HD
817 HBO COMEDY HD
818 HBO LATINO HD
819 HBO FAMILY HD
820 HBO SIGNATURE HD
821 HBO ZONE HD
825 CINEMAX HD
826 ACTION MAX HD
831 SHOWTIME 2 HD
832 SHOWTIME SHOWCASE HD
835 STARZ HD
839 STARZ EDGE HD
840 STARZ KIDS AND FAMILY HD
848 THE MOVIE CHANNEL HD
944 GAME HD
957 TEAM HD
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #874
kevin120

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Have you gone into DVR Diags and checked the signal strength and SNR on the macroblocking channels?

With the cablecards removed, you are getting analog for channels below 100. If your cableco does 'digital simulcast' (which most do) then with cablecards in you will be getting the the digital copies of channels below 100 (which will be subject to macroblocking if the signal is crap).
TWC Dallas has digital simulcast implemented. FYI we are a 860MHz system with, 73 analogs, 107 HD, Docsis 3.0
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 AM   #875
pmiranda

My money is on Frustrated getting bad signal on some or many SDV frequencies.
What's really tough to debug (without the tools the techs have) is that if it's just a small group of frequencies, some recordings will be pixelated or outright broken while others are fine at random from day to day, even on the same channel. If you want to do more debug, keep track of the RF frequency in use and signal strength on pixelated vs non-pixelated tunings...you might be able to narrow down which frequencies are bad. Or you can just shotgun it and replace all the cables and splitters. Or you can wait for the truck roll and make them do it. Be sure they test multiple frequencies. They should be able to sweep signal strength on all your frequencies. Don't let them get away with spot checking one or two.
If your TA is ever working, and you reliably can get status from it even when you're having trouble tuning, it's not your USB ports.
One trick to improve signal to noise ratio that TiVo gets is to put a splitter somewhere upstream of the TA and use that to feed the cable input of TiVo instead of the repeater in the TA. But that's just a stopgap...you should have enough signal quality into the TA that it can have something left over to feed TiVo.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #876
apsarkis

Quote:
... to re-cap with the cablecards in the tivo ... lower channels come & go & pixelation is rampant ... pull the cards ... lower channels are there, stable & no pixelation
One possible explanation is that without the cablecards, the tivo is picking up the analog lower channels, which wouldn't show typical digital pixelization. With cablecards in Tivo, it would map to the digital SD feeds for these channels, which would be a a different, probably much higher frequency. On my TWC (Hudson Valley - NY) feed, they have separate digital SD feeds of all the NY broadcast channels compressed into channel 92.x . Do you have any splitters (particularly older, non- 1GHz splitters) in your cable path?
apsarkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #877
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I agree with pmiranda's post. The channel frequency is on the same DVR Diagnostics page as Signal Strength and SNR. For SDV channels this frequency may change each time you re-tune the channel. I would suggest keeping a log of:

Channel Frequency Sig. Strength SNR RS Uncorrected

Of course you can only log channels you can actually tune. But you may notice a pattern of Signal Strength (and also SNR, RS Uncorrrected) with different frequencies, particularly on the SDV channels. If you get enough diffferent frequencies logged, a plot of Sig. Strength vs. frequency might be very informative. The RS Uncorrected error counts, especially ones that are growing as you watch them, should correspond to the amount of pixelation you see on a channel.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #878
Beernutts

Quote:
I did notice some pixelation on the lower channels but just chalked it up to tech glitch.
That's a signal level problem.

Quote:
Power cycled the tivo, got some of the lower channels back, but, the ones which came back were so badly suffering from pixelation they can't be watched.
That too is a signal level problem

Quote:
So ? ... not enough signal
Yep. Have your TWC tech check your signal going into TiVo, and I bet it's too low. He can also check the signal coming into your house, which, if it's OK, then you have a connection problem in your house, and TWC might put the onus on you to correct it, or they'll charge you to correct it.

If the signal is too low coming into your house, then the onus is on them to fix it free, and, honestly, I'd be embarrassed they didn't check this before.

As you stated before, you saw signal level of 42 on one of your channels (using TiVo's diagnostics), which is WAY TOO LOW.
Beernutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #879
Beernutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I agree with pmiranda's post. The channel frequency is on the same DVR Diagnostics page as Signal Strength and SNR. For SDV channels this frequency may change each time you re-tune the channel. I would suggest keeping a log of:

Channel Frequency Sig. Strength SNR RS Uncorrected

Of course you can only log channels you can actually tune. But you may notice a pattern of Signal Strength (and also SNR, RS Uncorrrected) with different frequencies, particularly on the SDV channels. If you get enough diffferent frequencies logged, a plot of Sig. Strength vs. frequency might be very informative. The RS Uncorrected error counts, especially ones that are growing as you watch them, should correspond to the amount of pixelation you see on a channel.
His problems no longer have anything to do with SDV, it's happening on any channel, he was just confused what SDV meant.
Beernutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #880
cwoody222

I agree now... sounds like a signal problem coupled with confusion with digital simulcast taking over when the Cards are inserted (confusion the posters end, this is what SHOULD happen).

Depending on how many outlets, splitters, etc. are in place, FrustratedinGP could, if he wanted, re-wire with new cables and see if that fixes it before waiting for Sunday.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #881
Static

Bad TA's?

ok, got the tivo premier in May... after days of back and forth with TW it was up and running. All was fine for a few weeks... then the TA stopped working. I had to call and they reset it and it was working again. This became a monthly occurrence. SO finally, i got fed up.. called them, and the person said I could just go swap the Tuning adapter. I did... came home hooked it up, called them got it working

after about 4 days, it started randomly just stopping working.. it would say trying the channel again.. then it would work. only sometimes.
fed up i called AGAIN. They said they would send a guy out. The tech came checked all the lines, replaced a connector, and tested signals. He said I have a PERFECT signal.. better than most any other he has seen. Great....

well the problem STILL HAPPENS! I am currently waiting for my 3RD TA.. but.. they are out of the...of course. Its driving me nuts! it will work fine.. the most recent thing is this:

tune to a channel.. it works for 3 seconds, then its gone and says press select to try again. I hit select.. it works.. for 3 SECONDS. this repeats over and over. Occasionally I can change a few channels back and forth and it will work again. But most of the time, i have to unplug and restart the TA

I have the Cable split.. one cable going to the TA, the other to the Tivo and then the USB connecting them. My signals on channels are never below 90.

Please help.. I am ready to dump tivo and go back to the crappy TW DVR because it has NO issues like this. My son can watch any channel just fine.
Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #882
Stone1555
./1337

Is this the only usb device? When it's not working what does it say under the diagnostic page UDCP?
Stone1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #883
Static

Yes, its the only USB. I have the Tivo hard wired (plugged) into the router.
and UDCP for which... the TA or the Tivo?

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #884
Stone1555
./1337

The TA
Old 09-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #885
Static

ok, TYPICAL TW...

I have been waiting for the new TA... and today.. on the porch, there is a box. it says SAMSUNG! I was so excited! I thought only Cisco and Moto made them... I tear open the box.. and inside... is a cisco 1520... oh. thanks.. theres no power cord.. but they did give me a network cord!! yay? WTH do I need that for! lol
Old 09-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #886
Static

ok it says:

UDCP Connected
Init Time: 9/23@22:46:23
Authorized: yes
OUI/HwVer: 0x0011d9/0x00746
SwVer: 14.5-01-3-746
Hostid: 08C0BC1A74
SESSION INFO LTS0
RequestTime: 9/24@15:59:58
Chan/Src/CA: 1013/1613/yes
LastErr: ChanNotAvail

then repeats the error for chan 1019/0/Yes
Old 09-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #887
Stone1555
./1337

Okay can u provide the Dbmv values

RDC
TUNER
FDC

off the status and summary page
Old 09-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #888
cwoody222

Well, I can join the party with a problem now. I mysteriously lost ONE channel (AMC HD) which was SDV and supposedly still is. It won't tune. It's the only problem channel I found. It used to work just fine.

I've done the required reboots; nothing.

My gut tells me it's what happened last time which is they moved channels OFF of SDV but didn't update their map which controls where TiVo looks for channels.

Of course the phone operator at the CableCARD desk could do nothing other than suggest a reboot and send a tech. *sigh*

Guess I'll be breaking out my contact list of managers and raising some hell again. There's no way I'm wasting my time having some idiot tech come out here. It makes NO sense that a hardware fail or issue at my residence would affect ONE channel. Much more likely the problem is on their end. Just like last time.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #889
Static

Hey Stone.. I hooked up the new box shortly after posting that info... I havent had a single issue since last friday. Knock on wood and keep fingers crossed. third box is a charm?

lol
Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #890
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
Well, I can join the party with a problem now. I mysteriously lost ONE channel (AMC HD) which was SDV and supposedly still is. It won't tune. It's the only problem channel I found. It used to work just fine.

My gut tells me it's what happened last time which is they moved channels OFF of SDV but didn't update their map which controls where TiVo looks for channels.

Of course the phone operator at the CableCARD desk could do nothing other than suggest a reboot and send a tech. *sigh*

Guess I'll be breaking out my contact list of managers and raising some hell again. There's no way I'm wasting my time having some idiot tech come out here. It makes NO sense that a hardware fail or issue at my residence would affect ONE channel. Much more likely the problem is on their end. Just like last time.
quick question:

1) when u turn to it & go into the UDCP screen on the TA are you showing in the LTS0 or LTS1 the Chan/SRC/CA showing one of them on that channel, & if so are you showing it having a src?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #891
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
quick question:

1) when u turn to it & go into the UDCP screen on the TA are you showing in the LTS0 or LTS1 the Chan/SRC/CA showing one of them on that channel, & if so are you showing it having a src?
Interesting you should ask. Last night I was showing 0 for SRC and was getting the on-screen message when I tried to tune to the channel that said "This channel is temporarily unavailable" which is what it said during my last round of problems.

For a short time today, after a full reboot of everything I was NOT getting that message but instead just getting a black screen. During that time I WAS showing a SRC for that channel.

Shortly after, the message returned as did the 0 SRC value.

Also, when the SRC is 0 if I try to tune to that channel in the CableCARD Testing menus I cannot even type that number - it automatically jumps me to the next number.

When I was getting a value in the SRC I was able to attempt to tune to the channel in the CableCARD Testing but the channel was just a black screen.

Both CableCARDs work fine for every other channel. Hence why I disagree with them needing to bring me out new CableCARDs tomorrow.

I really hate who their ONLY solution after a reboot doesn't work is, "Well, I'll send a tech with new hardware!"
Old 09-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #892
Grumock

I don't recall. Was this the same channel you had an issue with before?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #893
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
I don't recall. Was this the same channel you had an issue with before?
No, this is not the same channel.

Previously I got the "This channel is temporarily unavailable" message on 11 channels. They deteremined that those 11 channels were recently moved off SDV. Something on their end and boom, it was fixed.

The tech last night told me this channel is still on SDV but if it were moved recently, he wouldn't know.

I'm going to ask them to force a refresh of the channel map tonight in case the TA reboot didn't - for some reason - get a fresh one. But that still won't help if it's wrong on their end (which was the case last time).
Old 09-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #894
cwoody222

Grumock - so what does a SRC value of 0 tell you?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #895
Grumock

Quote:
Grumock - so what does a SRC value of 0 tell you?
not getting the source for the channel. Normally I would think that means it has been moved from the SDV map or mini carousel. The black screen makes me think that the channel is not there as well.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #896
cwoody222

Quote:

They fixed this today by "doing something" (their quote LOL) on their end and it did NOT require a truck roll as they suspected last night.

Another win! (I guess)
Old 09-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #897
Grumock

Quote:
They fixed this today by "doing something" (their quote LOL) on their end and it did NOT require a truck roll as they suspected last night.

Another win! (I guess)
Probably just had to refresh something on the Head End (DNCS) side i would imagine.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #898
FrustratedInGP

Well ... who the heck knows ...

Update ... I canceled my Sunday apt & re-scheduled it for tonight ... tech came in, explained to me it's never going to work, removed both cablecards, connected his JDSU meter, says signal comming into the prem is fine, which actually just makes me realize he never tested with the TA in-line, anyway, made a call to whom ever the techs call, they advised is should be working, I should note at this point that when the tech & I were first chatting, I told him, that I was told by TWC NCCC to have the tech call them first, since the tech couldn't seem to get the answer he need from the first call, he then called the NCCC, they told him there was some sort of provisioning error & that they couldn't fix it ... thanks for calling, tech then had to call back into his normal resource center they call, he called back in, explained what he was told by the NCCC about the provisioning error, which they couldn't see. Tech at this point was somewhat frustrated & figured he need to speak to his manager, stepped outside ... I then decided to call the NCCC myself, explained there was a twc tech on-site, they told me they couldn't talk to me (???) & that the tech had to call them ... I asked for some slack since this was a on-going issue for 2& half months now ... they said "sorry" ... have the tech call back ... I was polite & said ok ... then me being braininess ... decided todo a full re-tune ... tech stepped back in ... tivo is re-tuning ... explained to the tech about the re-tune ... tech then asked i was going to be back in tomorrow night ... I said sure ... so the tech + manager are supposed to be in tomorrow night ... meanwhile ... the tivo is re-tuning ... this is with one of the cablecards, the same TA, someone asked about if I have splitters etc ... the only splitter which I can think of would be somewhere in the attic of the apt I'm in ... I'm renting & TWC are the bulk supplier to this apt complex & the cable is part of my rent ... the feed for the TA is coming out of the wall into the TA via a new "monster" coax cable, out of the TA via another new "monster" coax cable & into the tivo ... no splitters ... the only other cable outlet in the apt is in our bedroom which I've run another "monster" coax cable (25ft) back into our 2nd bedroom & into a NetGear Cable modem which is our broadband connection to the world ... of the NetGear modem/router I've connected via Cat5 a Cisco Firewall/Router which my PC, my wife's iMac & my PowerBook all plug up for internet access ... which in "theory" has nothing to do with anything ... so the tivo has re-tuned & surprise, surprise ... I got's nothen ... no lower channels ... no mid channels ... what the !!! ... ah the joy of technology ... just to let ya'll know ... for two weeks now, been watching tv sans cablecards & TA ... so I know the tivo can tune the normal 2 to 100 channel range ...
FrustratedInGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #899
cwoody222

So you had ANOTHER tech out and you let him leave AGAIN without getting it working?!

DO NOT LET THEM LEAVE UNTIL THEY GET IT WORKING! IT IS POSSIBLE!

And stop doing things like a "retune" when they're outside. LET THEM DO WHAT THEY WANT TO DO. But INSIST they GET IT WORKING.

You are being your own worst enemy here. Sorry.

Have you spoke to any management locally? That can go a LONG way. CALMLY explain to them your experiences and frustration.

I didn't put up with ONE botched install. I don't understand why you're putting up with two and a half months of it!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #900
cwoody222

Your cable is part of your rent. Do you know what channels you're SUPPOSED to get? Are you SURE it includes digital cable, HD, etc?

Is your account set up to properly bill you for things like CableCARDs which I'm sure are not covered by the apt subscription.