TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #841
Grumock
Registered User
 
Grumock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nowhere close to reality
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedInGP View Post
Well ... did the unplug ... nadda ... no SDV channels ... without the tunning adapter connected I still had the same 6 channels ... when I went into the DVR Diag's without the TA connected ... for Signal strength there was just a dash - / for SNR there was just a dash as well - ... I'd run the diags now but I'm just doing a re-tune ... hope springs eternal ... maybe this time it'll be different ... the TWC tech is supposed to be here this afternoon ... I'm going to ask him to run a signal test from the faceplate back to the distribution point ... not sure if I mentioned this ... if I plug the cable straight out of the wall into the tivo ... all my SDV channels are good ... cause I have zip upper channels beyond 100 ... & to beat a dead horse, if I plug the TA back in ... the tivo finds the TA but alas, I loose the SDV channels, gain the few upper channels & life then returns back to chaos ...
sounds like the RF on the Tuning adapter is gone out. Normally that is supposed to be a pass thru with a 2-3 DB gain but it sounds, from what you are describing, that it's not passing at all.
__________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #842
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 11,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedInGP View Post
if I plug the cable straight out of the wall into the tivo ... all my SDV channels are good
Whoa whoa. This is impossible UNLESS the channels really aren't SDV channels.

This happened to me with TWC... they moved some SDV channels OFF of SDV but didn't update their "channel map" so the TiVo was looking for them on SDV freq. that weren't there.

I figured this out, had TWC locally update this "map" and then did a reboot to force another "Acquiring Channel Information" screen and after that all was better.

If you use twitter @twcablehelp is extremely knowledgeable. They gave me a full list of SDV channels in my area... something I would NEVER expect a tech or, worse, a phone rep, to have. Although if your channels were recently moved, the lists may not be updated yet.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #843
Grumock
Registered User
 
Grumock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nowhere close to reality
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
If you use twitter @twcablehelp is extremely knowledgeable. They gave me a full list of SDV channels in my area... something I would NEVER expect a tech or, worse, a phone rep, to have. Although if your channels were recently moved, the lists may not be updated yet.
unfortunately that list changes on a weekly basis.
__________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #844
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 11,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
unfortunately that list changes on a weekly basis.
They have to notify users of additions to the SDV lineup since it would mean users without an adapter would lose those channels. We don't get additions very often.

And I don't think moving channels OFF of SDV is common either.

At least it'd be a starting point.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #845
Grumock
Registered User
 
Grumock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nowhere close to reality
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
They have to notify users of additions to the SDV lineup since it would mean users without an adapter would lose those channels. We don't get additions very often.

And I don't think moving channels OFF of SDV is common either.

At least it'd be a starting point.
easy way to tell is to go into the Tuning adapter Diag screens. On the UDCP option you will basically see toward the bottom, the two tuners. They should have a section that says: Session info LTSID0 & another that says Session info LTSID1. In essence these are your two tuners for the cards or card for an M card. under each there is a line that has Chan/SRC/CA they are the channel you are on/ source ID / conditional access allowed. If ever you see the first two as 0 then it is possibly a mapping issue. Where they have taken a channel off the SDV carousel or put it on there & have not updated the mapping information for the devices in question.
__________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #846
Grumock
Registered User
 
Grumock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nowhere close to reality
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
And I don't think moving channels OFF of SDV is common either.
I would like to agree with you but unfortunately it happens more often then any of us like, as an example i have posted the link below. Toward the bottom of that thread you can see that this very thing happened there. Well close to it LOL

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=416859
__________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #847
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by usofa View Post
OK here is a simillar problem. In San Antonio, TX with TWC

I have S3 with TA.

Been using this setup at this address for the last year. No problems other than an occassional need for a rehit on the cable cards.
If so, then you are lucky. I'm here in San Antoinio, as well. Although I am not having huge amounts of problems, I rarely go more than 6 weeks without one of my 3 TAs having a coronary. Both the symptoms and the solution vary a bit.

Sometimes only the SDV channels are missing. When this happens, I can usually get things to work by un-plugging the USB cable and plugging it back in. Sometimes all the digital channels are missing, including the locals. This always requires at a minimum rebooting the TA. The best results are obtained by:

1. Pull the USB cable
2. Kill power to the TA
3. Wait ten seconds
4. Plug back in the power to the TA
5. Wait two minutes for the TA to completely reboot
6. If necessary (no status LED), press the power button on the TA
7. Plug the USB cable back in

Sometimes no channels - not even analog - are being received. If unplugging the USB cable does not allow you to watch the locals and the non-SDV premium channels, then the TiVo needs to be rebooted. Let it fully reboot without the USB cable attached. While the TiVo is rebooting, you can also reboot the TA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usofa View Post
Now last week, I suddenly lost all of the SDV channels. Called TWC and got them transfer me to NCCC. They did a bunch of checking the diagnostics and on the TA Diagnostics, the Switched Digital Video shows PENDING.
Try rebooting both the TiVo and the TA exactly as I have described. Do not reboot either one with the USB cable attached. Be sure to leave plenty of time after re-applying power to the TA for it to have rebooted and settled down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usofa View Post
Any smart people out here have any solutions? to me it sounds like a problem on the Head End.
'Unlikely.

Last edited by lrhorer : 09-19-2010 at 02:27 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #848
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
Whoa whoa. This is impossible UNLESS the channels really aren't SDV channels.
Correct. The entire purpose for the TA is to enable reception of SDV channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
This happened to me with TWC... they moved some SDV channels OFF of SDV but didn't update their "channel map" so the TiVo was looking for them on SDV freq. that weren't there.
I don't recommend trying to figure out what the problem is until the previous poster gets his story straight. Trying to remotely troubleshoot an issue relying only upon printed reports is exceedingly difficult in the first place. When those reports are inaccurate, it becomes essentially impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
I figured this out, had TWC locally update this "map"
The channel map is updated dynamically every time you issue a tuning request. That is how SDV works. There is no static channel map. Instead, whenever your TiVo wants to tune to a channel, it sends a request via the TA to update the channel map. If the stream in question does not exist, then the headend assigns a channel to the stream and advises the Tivo of the new channel map.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #849
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedInGP View Post
... I'm going to ask him to run a signal test from the faceplate back to the distribution point ...
He's liable to not know what you are asking, since this request makes no sense. He can test the downstream levels at the input to the TA, or wherever, and he can test the loss between the TA and the headend on the upstream channel. Which are you asking him to test, and why? If you cannot articulate what, exactly, he is supposed to be testing and why, then your suggestion is not likely to be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedInGP View Post
not sure if I mentioned this ... if I plug the cable straight out of the wall into the tivo ... all my SDV channels are good
As cwoody222 already mentioned, this is impossible, unless you are using a splitter to feed both the TA and the TiVo, without passing the signal through the TA to feed the TiVo. The TA's one and only function is to provide the two-way communication with the headend required to resolve SDV channels. No TA, no SDV, period, but removing the TA won't lose you anything except SDV channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedInGP View Post
... cause I have zip upper channels beyond 100 ...
With the TA unplugged, I presume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedInGP View Post
& to beat a dead horse, if I plug the TA back in ... the tivo finds the TA but alas, I loose the SDV channels, gain the few upper channels & life then returns back to chaos ...
You definitely do not lose SDV channels when you plug in the TA. You need to be much more clear about what you are losing, and when. Try rebooting both the TA and the TiVo per my instructions above. Once done, and if you still are not receiving channels, you are going to have to look more closely what what channels you are missing. Attempt to tune each missing channel in turn and see what the diags say. If you are missing SDV channels, but not any encrypted linear channels, then it's a TA problem, to be sure. If you are missing only encrypted channels, including both SDV and linear, then it's probably a TA issue, but also could be the CableCards. If you are missing local digital channels, then it's probably a CableCard issue.

Last edited by lrhorer : 09-19-2010 at 02:26 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #850
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
I would like to agree with you but unfortunately it happens more often then any of us like
Why would you "not like" moving a channel from SDV to linear? With a working TA, the move would be completely transparent, but without a TA, it would mean you can now receive a channel you could not previously receive. What's the down side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
, as an example i have posted the link below. Toward the bottom of that thread you can see that this very thing happened there. Well close to it LOL

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=416859
It would be helpful if you linked to the actual post, rather than just to the thread. I skimmed the thread, but don't see to where you are referring.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #851
Grumock
Registered User
 
Grumock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nowhere close to reality
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Why would you "not like" moving a channel from SDV to linear? With a working TA, the move would be completely transparent, but without a TA, it would mean you can now receive a channel you could not previously receive. What's the down side?
Well it's simple. If the channel is moved to, but not mapped to the SDV mini Carousel, then you wont get it if the tuning adapter still thinks it's in the non SDV lineup. The reverse will happen if it's pulled to the linear & not taken out of the SDV mini carousel, & the tuning adapters do not get that updated map.

As for my link if you scan to the bottom there is someone in Albany that had this happen. Where channels were moved into the SDV lineup & the tuning adapter & cable card were still looking for it as a non SDV channel. WHICH MEANS THEY WONT COME IN. There is your down side

I personally got rid of my TIVOs because of all my frustration & problems with the tuning adapter. I only post in order to help if i can. IF I was to move to an area without SDV i would consider using a TIVo again but since i am not moving anytime soon...
__________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Last edited by Grumock : 09-19-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #852
m_jonis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 598
I had something similar happen a while ago. What would happen is that suddenly the Tivo would ONLY get local HD channels and NON-HD SDV channels. All other channels would fail to tune.

I can't remember what the fix was, but it was not signal related, in my case. It was either replace the TA (I'm on my third one now), or it was a TW firmware upgrade that resolved the problem. But every few weeks the stupid thing would skitz out. I could resolve it by rebooting everything (literally pulling the power on the Tivo HD and the Cisco TA). But then a week or two later it would happen again.

Quite frustrating.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #853
Grumock
Registered User
 
Grumock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nowhere close to reality
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
I had something similar happen a while ago. What would happen is that suddenly the Tivo would ONLY get local HD channels and NON-HD SDV channels. All other channels would fail to tune.

I can't remember what the fix was, but it was not signal related, in my case. It was either replace the TA (I'm on my third one now), or it was a TW firmware upgrade that resolved the problem. But every few weeks the stupid thing would skitz out. I could resolve it by rebooting everything (literally pulling the power on the Tivo HD and the Cisco TA). But then a week or two later it would happen again.

Quite frustrating.
agreed
__________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #854
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Well it's simple. If the channel is moved to, but not mapped to the SDV mini Carousel, then you wont get it if the tuning adapter still thinks it's in the non SDV lineup.
There is no "mini Carousel". The channel map is the channel map. Without the TA, it is maintained by regular updates on the OOB carrier (usually 75MHz). With the TA, it is maintained by real-time conversations between the headend and the TiVo via the TA. If the channel map does not match the actual mapping of streams to the QAMs, then the video will not come in, or at least won't be on the correct channel. Linear channels are mapped to fixed timeslots on linear QAMs. SDV channels are mapped as they are requested to non-unique timeslots on different QAMs depending on the extant traffic on the nodes from which the respective requests are made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
The reverse will happen if it's pulled to the linear & not taken out of the SDV mini carousel, & the tuning adapters do not get that updated map.
'Cute theory. Too bad it's completely wrong. If the program stream is available to the SDV modulators, then as long as there is an open timeslot on one of the SDV QAMs on the node, then the headend can pass that stream to the available timeslot and forward the assignment to the TiVo, whereupon the TiVo will tune to the specified QAM and decode the specified timeslot. Having the stream also on a linear QAM makes no difference. Indeed, many - if not all - Time Warner Cable CATV systems have their linear streams available to SDV timeslots. This is how they offer their "Start Over" service. The main program stream runs on the linear timeslot, but whenever a customer presses the "Start Over" button, the stream is re-broadcast from the beginning on an SDV timeslot, and the STB / DVR is ordered to switch its tuner to a new QAM and timeslot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
As for my link if you scan to the bottom there is someone in Albany that had this happen. Where channels were moved into the SDV lineup & the tuning adapter & cable card were still looking for it as a non SDV channel. WHICH MEANS THEY WONT COME IN. There is your down side
That is the opposite of what cwoody222 said. Moving an SDV channel to a linear QAM won't have any impact at all, other than perhaps a channel number change. A channel number change is in fact unnecessary with a timeslot change and conversely a channel number change can be done without changing the timeslot. Channel numbers on digital systems - linear or SDV - are completely arbitrary.

I also saw no hard evidence in the thread that the source of the problems in those instances were what you claim them to have been. OTOH, in fairness, I did not thoroughly scan all the posts, nor did I query for more information. That said, without a valid channel map, no digital video device will be able to correctly resolve the channels on a digital CATV lineup, whether it is SDV or linear. If the incorrectly resolved data stream is not encrypted, then the device will be able to decode and display the video, but it won't be the correct channel. If the video is encrypted, then it likely won't display at all.

If a channel is moved (or added to) a linear QAM, then the TA is not even needed to tune to it. Moving a channel previously on a linear QAM to an SDV QAM is a different matter altogether.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #855
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,297
Here is a clip from Cisco's SDV documentation where the Mini Carousel is mentioned. It is also mentioned in the TA Diags and in diag mode of Cisco STB's.

Description
The Model D9500 Switched Digital Video (SDV) Server is an integral component of the Scientific Atlanta SDV system. Based on a standard Linux platform, the SDV Server functions as a distributed Session and Resource Manager (SRM) for Switched Digital Video. This high-performance server processes SDV channel change requests, manages resource allocations in the edge modulators, binds multicast content to available resources, and maintains up-to-date information on all switched digital content being viewed. This visibility gives the operator the flexibility to optimize the SDV system for bandwidth efficiency and to improve targeted services. This information is also used to generate a Mini-Carousel file which provides tuning information to the set-tops over the in-band video channel. The SDV software has been designed for increased availability, providing N:1 redundancy with automated failover in the case of a failure or maintenance event. These servers may be centralized for operational efficiency or distributed for greater scalability. Each server is managed by the SDV Manager in the Scientific Atlanta Digital Network Control System (DNCS) which also acts as an application Independent Master SRM for resource sharing among multiple applications. Single-step provisioning in the DNCS allows the operator to easily manage the
entire SDV system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
There is no "mini Carousel". The channel map is the channel map. Without the TA, it is maintained by regular updates on the OOB carrier (usually 75MHz). With the TA, it is maintained by real-time conversations between the headend and the TiVo via the TA. If the channel map does not match the actual mapping of streams to the QAMs, then the video will not come in, or at least won't be on the correct channel. Linear channels are mapped to fixed timeslots on linear QAMs. SDV channels are mapped as they are requested to non-unique timeslots on different QAMs depending on the extant traffic on the nodes from which the respective requests are made.

SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #856
Grumock
Registered User
 
Grumock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nowhere close to reality
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
If a channel is moved (or added to) a linear QAM, then the TA is not even needed to tune to it. Moving a channel previously on a linear QAM to an SDV QAM is a different matter altogether.
I care to differ with you on many issues but since I don't feel a need to argue with you I will not.

What i will say is that if channels are moved from SDV to non SDV or vise versa & they are not mapped to the Tuning adapters map or the cable cards map in the Headend (DNCS) afterward, then they will continue to look for them where they believe they are. I hope this makes it clear for you.

Please if you don't have anything constructive to add then don't reply.
__________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Last edited by Grumock : 09-19-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #857
Grumock
Registered User
 
Grumock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nowhere close to reality
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I also saw no hard evidence in the thread that the source of the problems in those instances were what you claim them to have been. OTOH, in fairness, I did not thoroughly scan all the posts, nor did I query for more information. That said, without a valid channel map, no digital video device will be able to correctly resolve the channels on a digital CATV lineup, whether it is SDV or linear. If the incorrectly resolved data stream is not encrypted, then the device will be able to decode and display the video, but it won't be the correct channel. If the video is encrypted, then it likely won't display at all.
My point on that thread BTW, was that the person was having an issue where they had moved channels to the SDV Carousel, (which u say does not exist) but had not yet mapped them to the tuning adapter map. Once they mapped the channels then they started to come in. If you look in the Ta Diag screens BTW you can see there is a SDV Mini Carousel in there as well. I am however, just making this all up as I go along lol so don't believe me, it really doesn't matter.
__________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Last edited by Grumock : 09-19-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #858
erichcervantez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Thumbs down Hope this helps someone

My frustration with Time Warner began like this:

I bought two DVR's: a Series 3 HD TIVO and a Series 4 HD Premiere TIVO.

Time Warner came out to hook up both (apparently they need a "professional" to setup the CableCards). Supposedly both TIVO's needed a Tuning Adapter, but my cable guy only installed one (and even forgot to hook up the USB cable). He said the newer TIVO's didn't need one, which was completely false.

I had to drive to Time Warner to get a second Tuning Adapter and the missing USB cable for the first one. I came home, installed everything and discovered that I could not receive all of my HD channels on the new TIVO Premiere. The older Series 3 got all channels, including HD and was happy.

I called support. They rolled another truck to check the lines (they figured the signal was too weak), but of course the technician could find nothing wrong and chalked it up to a "problem" that the new TIVO's had with the Motorola CableCards. He left, blaming TIVO.

After he left, I switched the CableCard out of the working TIVO and installed it into the non-working TIVO Premiere and voila! It worked! This CableCard was blue. The non-working card was pink.

Tomorrow they are rolling out another truck to replace the pink CableCard with a blue one based on my observations.

It blows my mind that I have to troubleshoot something that a cast of Time Warner pro's could not figure out :-/
erichcervantez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #859
FrustratedInGP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
To TWC - It ain't working !!!

Update - TWC tech showed up - called I'm presuming here their second level support folks / the told him to add a second tuner card / the tivo of course said there was a multistream card in slot 1 & it wasn't going to bother using slot2 so you might as well remove it / TWC insisted to just leave it & do a full retune @ which point the TWC tech left / did a full re-tune / reboot / nada / same crap as before / & lo & behold the TWC tech also said there was a ongoing issue with tivo's & TWC ... sigh ... so I'm stuck between tivo saying it ain't there problem & TWC saying they haven't a clue why it's not working / oh / with the TA connected - DVR Diag's say there is no signal hitting it & no SNR reading - just dashes for both signal & SNR / sound to me like either the TA software isn't working right or ? ... could the tivo USB port not be working right ? / what is the tivo port anyway ? ... USB 1.1 or 2.0 & is the Moto modem USB 1.1 or 2.0 ? ... I have a certified USB 2.0 cable connect between the two ( which as mentioned in my previous post has been swapped three times now ... the wall plate's been swapped ... the coax cables between the wall & TA have been swapped ... the coax cable between the TA & tivo has been swapped ) with the TA connected ... the Cable Card 1 - the Multistream card has a signal strength of 42 & the SNR on it is 27 / & as mentioned the tivo isn't even bothering to acknowledge cable card 2 / it seems it / it shows it in the menus etc but there is no signal strength showing or SNR showing as well ... so before I break down & get stuck by TWC for their DVR solution ... any suggestions ? ... Ok to clear the air since it seems I started a small firestorm ... me bad ... I thought SDV stood for standard definition video ... meaning channels 1 to 100 ... so to re-capp ... take the cable ... plug it straight into the tivo channels 1 to 100 work just peachie - MultiStream Card1 was still in at this point / re-arrange the cables so that the cable comes out of the wall & into the back of the TA & then from the TA to the tivo - the tivo sees the TA - does its little channel acquiring spin & then channels 1 to 100 disappear & I get the 6 channels as before ... & as now mentioned ... my tivo has a blue card & a red card in it as well gonna do the power cycle less USB cable of both devices here in a min & see what miracle transpires ...

Last edited by FrustratedInGP : 09-19-2010 at 10:58 PM.
FrustratedInGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #860
erichcervantez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Make sure that you have the right CableCard. I was able to find out that there were two versions of the Time Warner CableCard (it was "pink" in color), and both my Series 3 and Series 4 HD TIVO's were incompatible with one of them. The other CableCard I had ("blue" in color) worked fine in both TIVO's.

I could even hot-swap them out between each other without having to "pair" them to the TIVO, which Time Warner swears you have to do (but alas didn't appear to be the case).
erichcervantez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 AM   #861
FrustratedInGP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
Plz call me a dolt ...

Update ... I'm going through all the posts & I'm trying all the suggestions ... correction from my previous post ... TWC installed two Blue Moto Cable Cards ... So far tonight I've unplugged the TA & power cycled the tivo ... no change ... still only two channels in the 1 to 100 range ... nothing from 100 to 743 ... first channel is 744 which I believe is TBS ... still have the TA USB unplugged & have pulled both cable cards & have power cycled the tivo ... did a full setup ... I know have all my channels from 1 to 100 ... this is with the TA in-line, but not connected via USB & both cable cards pulled ... I then plugged in one cable card ... the one goes into slot 1 ... the tivo popped up a message that there has been a Multistream card inserted into slot1 ... I then went to the channel test function & was given the message that there were no channels available ... power cycled the tivo ... after the power cycle ... the tivo again popped up a message saying it had found a cablecard ... went to test channels ... no channels ... went to watch live tv ... had the same few channels as before ... so at this point ... the TA is still not connected via USB ... one cablecard is inserted into slot1 & the coax goes from the wall plate to the TA - from the TA to the tivo ... next I inserted the second cablecard into slot 2 ... the tivo popped up the message there is already a multistream card inserted ... please remove ... I went to the test channel menu ... no channels available ... went to watch live tv ... no lower channels except a few ... power cycled the tivo same result ... next I pulled both cards out & inserted what was card 2 into slot1 ... tivo says it found a multistream cable card ... went to test channels ... no channels found ... went to watch live tv ... no lower channels ... next I power cycled the tivo ... still no lower channels (except the 2 or 3 I've been getting all along) ... leaving the cablecard in slot 1 I plugged back in the TA ... the tivo popped up a message it found a TA ... did the channel spin thing ... no lower channels ... power cycled the tivo ... no lower channels ... next I pulled the cablecard out - but left the TA attached ... naturally tivo wants a full guided setup ... did it ... nutthen ... which is understandable as the TA needs to work with a cablecard ... plugged in the original cablecard back into slot1 ... tivo pops up a message there is a multistream card in slot1 ... goto watch live tv ... spinning channel thingie ... needs another full setup ... oh joy oh bliss ... can't complete guide setup due to connection error to tivo central ... restarting tivo & on this note ... I'm done for now ... I'm eager to hear back anything I've missed or a suggestion I've missed ...
FrustratedInGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #862
Grumock
Registered User
 
Grumock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nowhere close to reality
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedInGP View Post
Update ... I'm going through all the posts & I'm trying all the suggestions ... correction from my previous post ... TWC installed two Blue Moto Cable Cards ... So far tonight I've unplugged the TA & power cycled the tivo ... no change ... still only two channels in the 1 to 100 range ... nothing from 100 to 743 ... first channel is 744 which I believe is TBS ... still have the TA USB unplugged & have pulled both cable cards & have power cycled the tivo ... did a full setup ... I know have all my channels from 1 to 100 ... this is with the TA in-line, but not connected via USB & both cable cards pulled ... I then plugged in one cable card ... the one goes into slot 1 ... the tivo popped up a message that there has been a Multistream card inserted into slot1 ... I then went to the channel test function & was given the message that there were no channels available ... power cycled the tivo ... after the power cycle ... the tivo again popped up a message saying it had found a cablecard ... went to test channels ... no channels ... went to watch live tv ... had the same few channels as before ... so at this point ... the TA is still not connected via USB ... one cablecard is inserted into slot1 & the coax goes from the wall plate to the TA - from the TA to the tivo ... next I inserted the second cablecard into slot 2 ... the tivo popped up the message there is already a multistream card inserted ... please remove ... I went to the test channel menu ... no channels available ... went to watch live tv ... no lower channels except a few ... power cycled the tivo same result ... next I pulled both cards out & inserted what was card 2 into slot1 ... tivo says it found a multistream cable card ... went to test channels ... no channels found ... went to watch live tv ... no lower channels ... next I power cycled the tivo ... still no lower channels (except the 2 or 3 I've been getting all along) ... leaving the cablecard in slot 1 I plugged back in the TA ... the tivo popped up a message it found a TA ... did the channel spin thing ... no lower channels ... power cycled the tivo ... no lower channels ... next I pulled the cablecard out - but left the TA attached ... naturally tivo wants a full guided setup ... did it ... nutthen ... which is understandable as the TA needs to work with a cablecard ... plugged in the original cablecard back into slot1 ... tivo pops up a message there is a multistream card in slot1 ... goto watch live tv ... spinning channel thingie ... needs another full setup ... oh joy oh bliss ... can't complete guide setup due to connection error to tivo central ... restarting tivo & on this note ... I'm done for now ... I'm eager to hear back anything I've missed or a suggestion I've missed ...
put the original card that was in slot one back in.
1) then take a look at the Conditional access screen in the cable card menu.
2) should see a few things in there. A line in there will have CON/EBCP/VAL & they should say something to the affect of CON: YES EBCP: YES VAL: V 0x0& a nunber or letter.If the Val status has a ? that is the real problem, & the card is not truly authorized. Also lower on the same page you will see where it says AUTH & it should have an S next to it.
3) When you do all this i would suggest trying it without the tuning adapter in place in the RF loop, just to try & make sure that it is not blocking RF. Which is what it sounds like from your description above.
__________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #863
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedInGP View Post
Update ... I'm going through all the posts & I'm trying all the suggestions ... ........... ... I'm done for now ... I'm eager to hear back anything I've missed or a suggestion I've missed ...
Have you posted your location and cable system? Sorry if I missed that. Experiences by folks in the same system can be very helpful sometimes. Motorola TA's came along later and most TWC systems use Cisco TA's. Two systems I know use Motorolas are in Maine and Dallas/Ft. Worth.

TWC experience and support even with the Cisco TA's, which they have been deploying for two years now, has been very "troublesome". TiVo's are so far out of the mainstream for them, and they have no financial incentive to support them. Eventually, your system will probably get problems such as yours solved -- but when? If 10% or more of their subscribers had TA's you can bet these problems would be given massive attention -- but the actual number is around 0.5%.

You are getting credits for lack of service, right?
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #864
Grumock
Registered User
 
Grumock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nowhere close to reality
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Have you posted your location and cable system? Sorry if I missed that. Experiences by folks in the same system can be very helpful sometimes. Motorola TA's came along later and most TWC systems use Cisco TA's. Two systems I know use Motorolas are in Maine and Dallas/Ft. Worth.
There are some areas in the Mid Ohio region that are also using motorola equipment. If I'm not mistaken, which is always possible, some of southern CA & NY have them as well.
__________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #865
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 11,002
Channels being moved off of SDV certainly CAN cause problems. Here's what happened with me.

One day I realized I didn't get a channel I did previously. I called to complain. They said they'd send a tech out to "check the signal levels". Not believe that would be any help I escalated the issue to people who knew what they were doing.

They had me write down every channel I was missing. Lo and behold they said, "Oh, we moved each and every one of those channels off of SDV 2 days ago." A few hours later they called me back and said, "We fixed it, please try the channels." and yep, it was fixed.

The TiVo was looking for channels in SDV and couldn't find them. Maybe "channel map" is the wrong term but TiVo does have some sort of "list" that says which type of channel each channel is. If that's wrong, TiVo can't tune.


To the poster with the problem my only advice is continue to harass them, complain to them and escalate the issue to people who know what they're doing. DO not accept the answer of "it's TiVo's fault". It is not. It is theirs. Do not accept No for an answer. Talk to a manager, write letters. (I got great response once I let it known that I wrote a letter to their CEO detailing the situation)

It took me a few weeks but now my unit works flawlessly and the installer who even came here said I taught him a thing or two about TiVo that he didn't learn in any of his TWC training
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #866
FrustratedInGP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
Another night ... not TV ...

K ... my Tivo is a series 3 HD with a "slight" tweak ... I put a 500hd into a couple of weeks ago when things were working like crap ... oh wait ... they still are !!! ... someone mentioned my location ... Grapevine Texas, Time Warner Cable of North Texas is the supplier to the apt complex we live in ... so the cable charge is built into our rent ... someone asked about the VAL & low & behold it's set to the "?" value, I wasted time calling TWC tech support when I should have called TWC's NCCC ... kinda hopped that if they sent a "hit" to the cable cards it would wake them up ... no such luck ... I'll call the NCCC before I leave for working in the mid morning ... one other item which has crossed my mind is that I'm starting to wonder if the USB ports on the tivo are toast ??? since the TA was working flawlessly for 3 days 2 months ago & then all these nightmarish problems started ... I'm going to look into seeing if I can get a new motherboard for the tivo ... since ... it's still cheaper then getting a referb series 3 from tivo or a series 4 ... thanks to everyone for their support ... appreciate ya'll
FrustratedInGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #867
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 11,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedInGP View Post
K ... my Tivo is a series 3 HD with a "slight" tweak ... I put a 500hd into a couple of weeks ago when things were working like crap ... oh wait ... they still are !!! ... someone mentioned my location ... Grapevine Texas, Time Warner Cable of North Texas is the supplier to the apt complex we live in ... so the cable charge is built into our rent ... someone asked about the VAL & low & behold it's set to the "?" value, I wasted time calling TWC tech support when I should have called TWC's NCCC ... kinda hopped that if they sent a "hit" to the cable cards it would wake them up ... no such luck ... I'll call the NCCC before I leave for working in the mid morning ... one other item which has crossed my mind is that I'm starting to wonder if the USB ports on the tivo are toast ??? since the TA was working flawlessly for 3 days 2 months ago & then all these nightmarish problems started ... I'm going to look into seeing if I can get a new motherboard for the tivo ... since ... it's still cheaper then getting a referb series 3 from tivo or a series 4 ... thanks to everyone for their support ... appreciate ya'll
I think you're REALLY jumping the gun to think about a new motherboard due to dead USBs on the TiVo.

Read Grumock's post, "If the Val status has a ? that is the real problem, & the card is not truly authorized."

There's your problem. It's all at their end. The CARD is not set up properly in their system.

While this is more complicated than sending a "hit" they SHOULD be able to do this with you over the phone (you'll have to read them some numbers) but if they insist on sending a tech demand that you get a TWC employee (not a contractor) and one who has experience and training in CableCARD installs WITH TiVo. And make sure he STAYS until the problem is fixed 100%. Do not let him leave
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #868
Beernutts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 22
To FrustratedInGP:

I still think it's a signal level problem. Has a TWC tech checked the signal strength coming out of the wall? I'd also check the signal level coming out of the TA. Signal strength of 42 is WAY LOW, and the TA adds 3.5 dB to make it even weaker, that could explain why you get only a few channels with the TA in the RF loop.

That would be my 1st thing to check.
Beernutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #869
Beernutts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
There is no "mini Carousel". The channel map is the channel map.
Quote:
'Cute theory. Too bad it's completely wrong.
You sound so sure of yourself, but you are 100% incorrect, and Grumock is correct. The mini carousel lists what channels are switched, and if a channel is in that list, the TA attempts to tune via SDV server, and, if that channel is not in the Mini Carousel, then it attempts to tune based on the static channel map, ie, the VCT (Virtual Channel Table) (which will have dummy values for the SDV channels).
Beernutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #870
FrustratedInGP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
Ah this is actually becoming fun again !


So I had some time before I had to goto work this morning & called TWC's NCCC ... got a fantastic tech & we walked through a couple of tests & in the end we pulled the TA & it looked like things were going to be semi normal, I thanked the tech whom is going to amend the work order I have out for this coming Sunday - new TA & cable cards + the tech is going to be advised to call the NCCC first prior to going the normal routes. With the TA pulled & the multistream cards in, the tivo was displaying the lower channels & a couple of unswitched HD channels, I did notice some pixelation on the lower channels but just chalked it up to tech glitch. Went to work, came home & low & behold half of my lower channels are gone. Power cycled the tivo, got some of the lower channels back, but, the ones which came back were so badly suffering from pixelation they can't be watched. Flipped through a couple of more channels & now all the ones which I lost prior to the power cycle are gone again - ya'll keep in mind that at this point the cablecards are still in the tivo Pulled the cable cards & did a full retune on the tivo ... all my lower channels are back & appear to be stable & no pixelation on the locals. So ? ... not enough signal ? ... goofy tivo ? I'm so confused at this point ... to re-cap with the cablecards in the tivo ... lower channels come & go & pixelation is rampant ... pull the cards ... lower channels are there, stable & no pixelation Sunday should be interesting ... I'm going to leave this alone for now ... no cable cards, no TA & see what happens in the next 24 to 48 hours ... sigh ... I really like HD !!!
FrustratedInGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |