TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #811
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
When this happens, does it affect all of your Tivos simultaneously or just one at a time?

Thanks
Ted
which one? on the second one, only one at a time. other records fine.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #812
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
which one? on the second one, only one at a time. other records fine.
Yeah, if I get 2 (or 3) Tivos when I move to my new house, I will setup season passes to record on more than one DVR when possible in case there is a problem with one DVR and not the other. I am coming from Dish with 3 tuners per DVR, which I sometimes need more than 4, so 3 Tivos should fit the bill. If I occasionally lose a recording on one or another DVR, I can just watch what I missed on one of the others in most cases. I just wanted to make sure the phenomenon didn't happen simultaneously on all DVRs each time.

Also, is there anything special TWC will need to do for me to have 3 Tivos, plus my RoadRunner modem? I am moving into a newly constructed house with RG6 throughout.

Thanks,
Ted
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #813
favo1984

TA issues continued

Hi All

Sorry if I'm posting a similar issue that has already been posted but I'm so frustrated and I'm getting desperate for help as the people who are supposed to be able fix this are completely senile and don't have clue as to how to fix their own equipment. This has been going on for over 2 months now.

Hardware:
Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter - Firmware Version:STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1001

TiVo Series 3 HD

Issue:
All channels requiring the TA do not display.

Troubleshooting:

Cable card has been replaced twice and this is my third TA. Splitters have been changed as well as cables and wall sockets.

So far I have spoken to TWC and TiVo. TiVo say it is possibly the software version of the TA but it has worked in the past and as far as I'm aware the software version has been the same since I originally got the TA.

TWC have no clue and I can't get any where with their front-line support. At the moment I'm waiting for a callback from a tech foreman.

TiVo have been great but they can't help me any further they say but they will keep the case open.

Anyone have any additional ideas on what could be done or has had a similar issue??

Thanks
favo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #814
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by favo1984 View Post
Hi All

Sorry if I'm posting a similar issue that has already been posted but I'm so frustrated and I'm getting desperate for help as the people who are supposed to be able fix this are completely senile and don't have clue as to how to fix their own equipment. This has been going on for over 2 months now.

Hardware:
Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter - Firmware Version:STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1001

TiVo Series 3 HD

Issue:
All channels requiring the TA do not display.

Troubleshooting:

Cable card has been replaced twice and this is my third TA. Splitters have been changed as well as cables and wall sockets.

So far I have spoken to TWC and TiVo. TiVo say it is possibly the software version of the TA but it has worked in the past and as far as I'm aware the software version has been the same since I originally got the TA.

TWC have no clue and I can't get any where with their front-line support. At the moment I'm waiting for a callback from a tech foreman.

TiVo have been great but they can't help me any further they say but they will keep the case open.

Anyone have any additional ideas on what could be done or has had a similar issue??

Thanks
Maybe TWC's National Cable Card Support group can help:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...78#post7722378

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #815
cwoody222

What's the green light on your TA doing? How is your TA connected to your TiVo? Can you see non-TA CableCARD channels? Are you SURE you KNOW which channels need a TA and which don't?

I'd try re-cyling the power on both. In this order. Unplug both power cords and the USB connector.

Then plug in the TA. Wait for a solid green light. Then connect the USB. Then plug in the TiVo. You should eventually get an "acquiring channel map" screen. After that, you SHOULD be able to see TA channels. If not, do you get an on-screen message?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #816
cwoody222

Also try TWC NCCS (National Cable Card Support) desk at 866.532.2598 and twitter.com/TWCableHelp

Their twitter support is excellent but not 24/7.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #817
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post

Is the message when SDV reclaims a frequency the same as when you try to tune to a channel that you simply don't subscribe to, i.e., something like the tuning adapter doesn't provide this channel, contact your cable provider? BTW, I would assume these time limits are not the same over all TWC systems (that would be too organized!)
This is what the message looks like for me:

t-w-i-t-p-i-c .com/2i1sbx

PS Why does TC block bit-ly and twit-pic?!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #818
kaseyjohns

Here's an odd one I haven't seen before. I've got a Tivo HD and a Premiere. Both are setup with TA's and both can tune SDV channels without a hitch. (This is on Time Warner-Austin, and I'm up near 183/Anderson Mill.)

All of a sudden, I can't tune FX HD (1688). It brings up the "this channel is temporarily unavailable". I hit select for it to try and re-tune, no luck. I go away for a few minutes and come back, it still won't work. I reboot the TA and the Tivo, wait for it all to come back up, check other SDV channels to make sure it's working, and still can't tune 1688. It's not a new channel or anything, because it was working fine a week ago.

This is on both DVRs. All of the other SDV channels work just fine... even if I get the odd "temporarily unavailable" message, hitting select usually locks it in.

Any ideas?
kaseyjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #819
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
This is what the message looks like for me:
t-w-i-t-p-i-c .com/2i1sbx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyjohns View Post
All of a sudden, I can't tune FX HD (1688). It brings up the "this channel is temporarily unavailable". ..........
Yeah that's the same message I've seen. However I've never seen it pop up on a channel that was already tuned and then dropped out (apparently because the SDV system reclaimed the channel slot). For me it only shows when I first try to tune a channel that isn't provided by the SDV/TA system but which I should get. I get a different message if I try to tune a channel that I am not paying for.

cwoody, I've had that behavior and spent a lot of time calling TWC getting them to send hits. Only after a few hours did the channels show up again, so I don't know if the TWC hits even made the difference -- but nothing else had changed.

and
Old 08-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #820
favo1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
What's the green light on your TA doing? How is your TA connected to your TiVo? Can you see non-TA CableCARD channels? Are you SURE you KNOW which channels need a TA and which don't?

I'd try re-cyling the power on both. In this order. Unplug both power cords and the USB connector.

Then plug in the TA. Wait for a solid green light. Then connect the USB. Then plug in the TiVo. You should eventually get an "acquiring channel map" screen. After that, you SHOULD be able to see TA channels. If not, do you get an on-screen message?
Hi Thanks for the suggestions

The power light on the TA is solid green. I have followed your instructions which were posted on another site. At the moment some of the channels that rely on the TA are coming through. Only the channels from my sports pack and a couple others do not. I actually have a couple of the tech guys here now working on it. They say the frequency that the sports pack channels run in on is different to the frequency that the channels that are working rely on the TA.

Will update at the end of their visit. They are changing the tuner again for the 4th time : )
favo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #821
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by favo1984 View Post
Hi Thanks for the suggestions

The power light on the TA is solid green. I have followed your instructions which were posted on another site. At the moment some of the channels that rely on the TA are coming through. Only the channels from my sports pack and a couple others do not. I actually have a couple of the tech guys here now working on it. They say the frequency that the sports pack channels run in on is different to the frequency that the channels that are working rely on the TA.

Will update at the end of their visit. They are changing the tuner again for the 4th time : )
When you try and tune those channels, what do you see onscreen? Just black? What does DVR Diags indicate for signal strength / SNR on the missing channel? At the bottom of DVR Diags, what does the TA info say? It should be 'operational', 'ready' and 'yes'. Now jump to TA Diags, On the first page under 'INITIALIZATION' with the next line Status... is it 'ready'.

If that all looks good then the problem is likely with the cablecard provisioning. Your account may need 'balancing' to get all your entitlements set up correctly.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #822
Max Camber

I finally gave up. It's been 9 months of finger pointing between TWC and Tivo and nothing seems to have changed so I signed up for satellite service. I'm not happy about it and miss a lot of the Tivo features, but I no longer need to worry about missed recordings, missing channels, and screwing around with a tuning adapter. I figure the 24 month contract will give them time to sort it out.

As an added bonus, when I called Tivo to cancel service the rep tried to sell me a Premier which he assured me would "fix all those problems" and "doesn't require a tuning adapter" to receive SDV.
Max Camber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #823
pmiranda

Max: How often was your TA crapping out? Just curious if different places in Austin get worse performance or if your threshold of pain is just lower than others. Right now I lose an occasional recording but that happened when I had a TW DVR, too, so I'm just living with it. I'm also curious to hear how the transition to satellite goes... do you use wishlists and season passes alot? Ever watch the suggestions? Not sure what other features will be noticeably different. What are you using for internet?
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #824
cwoody222

On Sunday I had a problem that I get RARELY where it seems I "lose" the SDV channel and TiVo stops recording. I can get it back by going up and down a channel.

I tweeted about it and @replied their cust service just to bitch

They wrote me back and offered to help.

They gave me the usual a) your signal is too high then b) try contacting TiVo.

Not to bitch here and it's great that they answered me, all they ever want to do it send a truck to 'check your signal levels' or point at TiVo.

This all said, my problems are now limited to ONE channel that sometimes "freezes". Every other other channel and recording are rock-solid.

I guess I'm lucky.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #825
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Well, I ordered the service from TWC today. Installation won't happen until late September when we move into the new house. Hopefully there will still be a deal on refurbs when I order the Tivos. Wish me luck!

Ted
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #826
Max Camber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Max: How often was your TA crapping out? Just curious if different places in Austin get worse performance or if your threshold of pain is just lower than others. Right now I lose an occasional recording but that happened when I had a TW DVR, too, so I'm just living with it. I'm also curious to hear how the transition to satellite goes... do you use wishlists and season passes alot? Ever watch the suggestions? Not sure what other features will be noticeably different. What are you using for internet?
It was fully locking up at least once per week requiring a reboot. I still had to do the channel up/down every day to get SDV tuned. I was also having regular issues with macroblocking that Tivo blamed on signal strength being too high and TWC blamed on faulty decoders on the Tivo. No amount of pointing TWC techs at the info from SCSIRAID or even having them call TWC in NC made any difference.

I signed up with DirecTV because they were running a great promo and in hopes that they eventually get the DirecTivo launched. I'm only a few weeks into my new service but haven't had any issues so far.

What I miss from my Tivo:
- Playing back media files from my server using pyTivo (MediaShare on DirecTV is almost useless, almost no format options, no ff/rew)
- Netflix instant streaming
- The way dual tuner controls work on the Tivo
- Tivo remote
- Interface/sounds

What I like on the DirecTV setup:
- Blazing fast interface (I got the brand new HR24 and H24 boxes)
- Standard RF remote for the DVR
- It uses coax for networking (not a big deal for me as I have ethernet drops at each TV, but still cool)
- Vastly better picture quality on most channels, TWC compresses the crap out of everything

Most of my recordings are handled by season passes with a couple of others as wishlists. So far they all seem to be working as expected but I haven't had it long enough to be a useful data point as far as missed recordings go.

My internet is still through TWC. I rewired my house with a media distribution hub in the garage and dual coax and ethernet feeds to each wall jack. That allows me to have both DirecTV and TWC feeds and split them off on a per-port basis to each room. Most people are stuck with the single feed from outside and have to choose between cable or dish + DSL.
Max Camber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #827
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Haven't seen any new complaints about missed SDV recordings lately and I haven't had any in a while - probably since the 11h update. Does the list of fixes for this version mention SDV tuning issues? I'm pretty sure it's fixed. I don't have anything to complain about. Anyone else still missing recordings on SDV channels in Austin?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #828
m_jonis

Nope, unfortunately on my 11.0h software it did this again last week. The channel was "tuned" but when you switched to it, all you saw was a gray screen and when I cancelled the recording, it showed 0 minutes (even though it had supposedly recorded 15 minutes of it).
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #829
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Could Time-Warner in Austin be doing something different than in Albany? I think we determined that the error was on the Tivo software end. I was hoping 11h fixed it.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #830
dlfl
Cranky old novice

11.0h did not fix the sdv tuning failure problem. It did fix a problem of pixelation on SDV channels that occured on many Time Warner systems.

and
Old 09-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #831
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Can we get Tivo to fix it? This serious bug has been out there too long. It undercuts the primary appeal of the Tivo service - reliability. How can I get Tivo off their hump on this? I feel like if I email or call it will be fruitless. Do they know about this already? They must, right?

In all fairness, I haven't had a problem in a long time.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #832
m_jonis

Although I will say since 11.0h my Tivo has NOT rebooted itself once (whereas I was getting weekly reboots with 11.0g)
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #833
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Can we get Tivo to fix it? This serious bug has been out there too long. It undercuts the primary appeal of the Tivo service - reliability. How can I get Tivo off their hump on this? I feel like if I email or call it will be fruitless. Do they know about this already? They must, right?

There really isnt enough evidence on the table to tell whose problem it is.... Cisco or TiVo....

Fortunately for me... I havent seen it happen in some time.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #834
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post

I've had contact with TiVo on various levels -- they know about it. I think their position is it's not the TiVo's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
There really isnt enough evidence on the table to tell whose problem it is.... Cisco or TiVo....
True, but as I believe you yourself have said: It seems it would be easy for TiVo to fix it with software tuning retries.

I still have 1 to 3 missed recordings per week due to this problem.

and
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #835
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I've had contact with TiVo on various levels -- they know about it. I think their position is it's not the TiVo's fault.

True, but as I believe you yourself have said: It seems it would be easy for TiVo to fix it with software tuning retries.

I still have 1 to 3 missed recordings per week due to this problem.
Yup... TiVo should be able to work around it easily. They have heard about it from me too.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #836
usofa

OK here is a simillar problem. In San Antonio, TX with TWC

I have S3 with TA.

Been using this setup at this address for the last year. No problems other than an occassional need for a rehit on the cable cards.

Now last week, I suddenly lost all of the SDV channels. Called TWC and got them transfer me to NCCC. They did a bunch of checking the diagnostics and on the TA Diagnostics, the Switched Digital Video shows PENDING.

they have replaced the TA and still getting the same message. Their only answer is signal strength is a little low. Scheduled me for a truckroll on Thursday... No show!

Called Friday and got a truck roll for today 12-4. Showed up at 3:50 and just left. still no SDV channels. Tech said he could not do anything and gave me the number for NCCC and said to call them. He scheduled me for an all day appointment Friday for someone to rewire my whole apt.

Any smart people out here have any solutions? to me it sounds like a problem on the Head End.
usofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #837
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

In Austin it looks like we've got a Tuning Adapter update that others may not have. The firmware on mine is 1202 something and I think everyone else is at version 1001. I've been operating my Tivo as I always have but it's not missing any recordings as it used to.

It's possible the problem has been fixed on the Tuning Adapter firmware side. There was a cable outage during the last storm and the TA locked up and had to be rebooted. Strangely, the green light stayed solid green during the outage and after the box did not operate after service was restored. But unplugging it and re plugging it in was all it took to fix it.

I think users with problems should make a demand of their cable operator to get the latest firmware sent to the tuning adapters.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #838
FrustratedInGP

Angry Please forgive me if I sound a little strange ...

Hey folks ... I'm done ... stick a fork & roll me over ... I have a Tivo Series 3, with TWC ... which was working great for over a year ... TWC decided to goto a tuner adapter which in my case is a Motorola Unit ... since then instead of 180+ channels I get about 6 ... I'm NOT kidding ... I get maybe 2 channels in the 10 to 100 range, 3 channels of HBO & maybe Comedy Central & TBS ... all my local channels are gone, I've swapped the wall plate, I've swapped the coax cables, I've gone from HDMI to comp video cables ... same crap ... TWC tech support is hopeless, three truck rollls so far ... TWC blames Tivo ... Tivo says the Tivo is fine ... I have a forth truck roll this weekend ... suggestions ? ... the tivo + a cablecard worked perfectly for over a year ... since the tuning adapter by Motorola was introduced ... it's been crap ... the tivo connects to tivo just fine ... by internet connection is fine ... I use a Cisco/Linksys router + a Netgear modem supplied by TWC ... the Moto modem is connected directly to the wall plate ... no splitters ... I'm in a apt complex were TWC is part of my rent ... the main coax in is in the main living space, so, I'm going to presume it's the primary feed out from what ever spliter, were ever it happens to be ... there's a coax outlet in our bedroom were I've run a Monster brand coax cable to my cable modem ... so again the Moto modem should have a clean coax feed ... I'm so freaking frustrated I'm ready to pitch the tivo & just bend over & grab my ankles & get a TWC DVR, which i HATE todo cause TWC will charge me $19.00 a month ... it's not fair since the tivo was working before the damn Moto modem was introduced into this freaking nightmare ...
FrustratedInGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #839
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedInGP View Post
Hey folks ... I'm done ... stick a fork & roll me over ... I have a Tivo Series 3, with TWC ... which was working great for over a year ... TWC decided to goto a tuner adapter which in my case is a Motorola Unit ... since then instead of 180+ channels I get about 6 ... I'm NOT kidding ... I get maybe 2 channels in the 10 to 100 range, 3 channels of HBO & maybe Comedy Central & TBS ... all my local channels are gone, I've swapped the wall plate, I've swapped the coax cables, I've gone from HDMI to comp video cables ... same crap ... TWC tech support is hopeless, three truck rollls so far ... TWC blames Tivo ... Tivo says the Tivo is fine ... I have a forth truck roll this weekend ... suggestions ? ... the tivo + a cablecard worked perfectly for over a year ... since the tuning adapter by Motorola was introduced ... it's been crap ... the tivo connects to tivo just fine ... by internet connection is fine ... I use a Cisco/Linksys router + a Netgear modem supplied by TWC ... the Moto modem is connected directly to the wall plate ... no splitters ... I'm in a apt complex were TWC is part of my rent ... the main coax in is in the main living space, so, I'm going to presume it's the primary feed out from what ever spliter, were ever it happens to be ... there's a coax outlet in our bedroom were I've run a Monster brand coax cable to my cable modem ... so again the Moto modem should have a clean coax feed ... I'm so freaking frustrated I'm ready to pitch the tivo & just bend over & grab my ankles & get a TWC DVR, which i HATE todo cause TWC will charge me $19.00 a month ... it's not fair since the tivo was working before the damn Moto modem was introduced into this freaking nightmare ...
I suggest that you try unplugging the USB cable between the TA and the TiVo and then restart the TiVo. Do the non-SDV channels return? If not, you more than likely have a signal problem probably due to the insertion loss of the TA. What are the Signal and SNR levels in DVR Diags?
Old 09-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #840
FrustratedInGP

Thank you for the suggestion ...

Well ... did the unplug ... nadda ... no SDV channels ... without the tunning adapter connected I still had the same 6 channels ... when I went into the DVR Diag's without the TA connected ... for Signal strength there was just a dash - / for SNR there was just a dash as well - ... I'd run the diags now but I'm just doing a re-tune ... hope springs eternal ... maybe this time it'll be different ... the TWC tech is supposed to be here this afternoon ... I'm going to ask him to run a signal test from the faceplate back to the distribution point ... not sure if I mentioned this ... if I plug the cable straight out of the wall into the tivo ... all my SDV channels are good ... cause I have zip upper channels beyond 100 ... & to beat a dead horse, if I plug the TA back in ... the tivo finds the TA but alas, I loose the SDV channels, gain the few upper channels & life then returns back to chaos ...
FrustratedInGP is offline   Reply With Quote