Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #781
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
.......I've found that when I have trouble tuning an SDV channel sometimes multiple tries (ch UP, ch DOWN) will get the channel to finally load.
This is a well known, and long-standing problem -- the SDV tuning failure problem (and the manual retune workaround you found). See this post and related posts in the TWC Cable Card thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...92#post7963092

Here is an example, caused by emergency message interrupts, where the SDV freq for the de-tuned channel was 0:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...59#post7991159

Normally, when SDV tuning failure occurs, the TA Diagnostics SDV Freq is not zero -- it just doesn't match what's given for the channel in DVR Diagnostics.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #782
cwoody222

Thank you! At least that pinpoints my problem.

TWC seems to think too strong of a single is causing it? They're coming out tomorrow presumably to "lower" my signal.

Should I even bother?

The sad part is for over 2 weeks the thing worked perfectly, only giving me "can't tune" errors in the AM when I left the TiVo tuned to a SDV station all night. But in those cases the channel ALWAYS came back after ONE try.

But as of this past Monday some channels can take DOZENS of tries (if even then).

Why would it suddenly get so much worse?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #783
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Thank you! At least that pinpoints my problem.

TWC seems to think too strong of a single is causing it? They're coming out tomorrow presumably to "lower" my signal.

Should I even bother?

The sad part is for over 2 weeks the thing worked perfectly, only giving me "can't tune" errors in the AM when I left the TiVo tuned to a SDV station all night. But in those cases the channel ALWAYS came back after ONE try.

But as of this past Monday some channels can take DOZENS of tries (if even then).

Why would it suddenly get so much worse?
I think you have to let them try whatever they will do.

More than 2 manual retune tries is very rare in my setup.

and
Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #784
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
But it does show at least one parameter that applies to the linear channel -- The SDV Freq., which matches what is shown in DVR Diagnostics -- So it doesn't seem completely divorced from linear info.

All (cable) tuning requests do get funneled through the TA, correct?
The SDV frequency is the QAM from the SDV pool that the requested stream is allocated to. It isnt a 'linear' channel per se... it is a switched channel. The distinction is that linear channels are static (program contents dont change) while switched channels are dynamic in what content they carry. 'Sessions' are only relative to SDV channels.

All tuning requests are 'resolved' by the TA. A TiVo request for a linear channel should just result in TiVo being told by TA what frequency the requested program is on. A TiVo request for a Switched channel should result in a Session being established with the SDV server so the TA can declare itself an active user and then the TiVo is informed of the frequency (just like a linear tune). TiVo really shouldnt know or care if the channel it is tuning to is Linear or Switched.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #785
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
The SDV frequency is the QAM from the SDV pool that the requested stream is allocated to. It isnt a 'linear' channel per se... it is a switched channel. The distinction is that linear channels are static (program contents dont change) while switched channels are dynamic in what content they carry. 'Sessions' are only relative to SDV channels.

All tuning requests are 'resolved' by the TA. A TiVo request for a linear channel should just result in TiVo being told by TA what frequency the requested program is on. A TiVo request for a Switched channel should result in a Session being established with the SDV server so the TA can declare itself an active user and then the TiVo is informed of the frequency (just like a linear tune). TiVo really shouldnt know or care if the channel it is tuning to is Linear or Switched.
All well and good - thanks!

Slightly confusing though is that the TA Diagnostics still presents a Session Info page even for a channel that is not SDV and thus doesn't actually have a "session" established for it (per your description). For linear channels this page is mostly "n/a" parameters but it does contain at least two parameters that apply to the tuned channel: QAM frequency and the fact that it is a linear ("broadcast" type) channel. I suppose whether this is truly a session (or just a display quirk) isn't important, as long as we know what's going on.

and
Old 07-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #786
SCSIRAID

Quote:
All well and good - thanks!

Slightly confusing though is that the TA Diagnostics still presents a Session Info page even for a channel that is not SDV and thus doesn't actually have a "session" established for it (per your description). For linear channels this page is mostly "n/a" parameters but it does contain at least two parameters that apply to the tuned channel: QAM frequency and the fact that it is a linear ("broadcast" type) channel. I suppose whether this is truly a session (or just a display quirk) isn't important, as long as we know what's going on.
The linear channel frequency does show up in one of the sessions but the session remains 'idle' with a SamSvcld of 'Broadcast' and Act Time of n/a. The session only goes 'ready' with SamSvcld of 'Switched' for an SDV tune.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #787
cwoody222

TW called me today telling me that they thought my problem was due to an "area wide" problem that they think they fixed.

I got home and - so far, about 2-3 hours later - no tuning issues.

So maybe the problem was on their end.

That'll be good news if true!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #788
SCSIRAID

Quote:
TW called me today telling me that they thought my problem was due to an "area wide" problem that they think they fixed.

I got home and - so far, about 2-3 hours later - no tuning issues.

So maybe the problem was on their end.

That'll be good news if true!
What are your signal strengths now?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #789
cwoody222

Now they're:

Tuner: 597.000MHZ (was 543.000 MHZ)
FDC: 73.500 MHZ <-- same as before
RDC: 22.500 MHZ <-- same as before

Current FDC
Level: -7dBmV <-- same as before
S/N: 35dB (was 34dB)

Current QAM
Level: -2 dBmV (was 1dBmV)
S/N: 36 dB (was 37dB)

Current RDC, Power: 43dBmV <-- same as before

One channel that was giving me persistent problems was FXHD. A friend of mine that lives nearby (I think within the same "system" I have) with one of their HD STB's couldn't tune that channel the other night but he could tune analog FX-SD. So I don't know what their problem was but it could have been on their end.

This morning everything seems stable too.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #790
SugarBowl

Quote:
What are your signal strengths now?
My signal strength is 0. Is anyone else having time warner problems this morning, in the Raleigh, NC area?
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #791
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
The linear channel frequency does show up in one of the sessions but the session remains 'idle' with a SamSvcld of 'Broadcast' and Act Time of n/a. The session only goes 'ready' with SamSvcld of 'Switched' for an SDV tune.
On a related note, I was surprised to learn from forum user nrc that "linear" channel does not mean non-switched or non-SDV channel, see **this post** and the one following it. I searched a couple of randomly selected FCC documents and found that indeed their usage is consistent with their definition:
Quote:
The term "linear programming" is generally understood to refer to video programming that is prescheduled by the programming provider.
Of course the use of "Broadcast" in the TA Diagnostics SamSvcld Type parameter doesn't seem correct either.

and
Old 07-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #792
SCSIRAID

Quote:
On a related note, I was surprised to learn from forum user nrc that "linear" channel does not mean non-switched or non-SDV channel, see **this post** and the one following it. I searched a couple of randomly selected FCC documents and found that indeed their usage is consistent with their definition:

Of course the use of "Broadcast" in the TA Diagnostics SamSvcld Type parameter doesn't seem correct either.
Ive always heard folks use the term 'linear' as the opposite of 'switched'. Perhaps it is improperly used... but I think most know what is meant.

You could take the 'definition' of linear as prescheduled and look at it on a QAM basis... a (my usage) linear channel always contains the same scheduled programming while a switched / SDV channel is not scheduled and its contents are based on the demands of the customers. The usage of the term 'linear' could be changed to 'static' if it is viewed as confusing. .
Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #793
cwoody222

I'm having a problem with FXHD (using SDV) but only FXHD. It's the only channel that does this.

Before and after every commercial break and/or when the show starts the picture and sound "freezes" for a second or two.

USUALLY the pic/sound kicks back in but sometimes it does not and my recording just freezes for the rest of the show.

Could be when the channel switches from dolby to non-dolby or SD to HD or something.

Does anyone else have this problem on this channel or any other?

It's really annoying since I watch a lot of shows I really like on FX and having the picture possibly freeze and not recording is really annoying.

HBO, Showtime, other basic HD channels, local HDs, are all fine and *knock on wood* my SDV is actually pretty reliable so far.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #794
cwoody222

Well, this problem happened again last night. But oddly I could only replicate the problem on ONE channel (I didn't go thru every one though).

And I don't think it was one of the channels that had the issue before.

Last time the problem was on lots of higher-numbered HD channels. Last night it was on an analog cable channel (but one that they verified for me IS SDV).

My SDV adapter was currently tuned to another SDV channel just fine and I could navigate to other ones with the 2nd tuner. So the tuner is working; just this one channel is not.

They tried to tell me that maybe this channel had "too many requests" in my area... but of course the problem persisted 8 hours later in the AM so I don't think that's the case (unless lots of people were watching infomercials on TV Land).

The 2 numbers I called last night were no help. Supposedly a manager is going to call me today. I hope the problem is on their end because I really don't want another service call. And I hope it's not the manager who called me last time who suggested I take my 2-CableCard TiVo into one of their offices and "swap it out" for a single-Card model *sigh*

I did weasel a $50 credit out of them, though.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #795
pmiranda

I was having a similar problem the other day but re-pairing the cablecards and rebooting TiVo solved it.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #796
cwoody222

I found out that my area moved 11 channels OFF OF SDV the other night.

Guess which 11 channels are the only 11 not working?

Of course they don't know how to proceed. Is there some sort of routing table or something that they need to update on their end?

I sholdn't NEED to do anything on my end usually for this, should I? I've already did a reboot. I really don't WANT to do another re-pairing.

I have a tech coming out on Sat. but that's just to "check my signal levels" because they still insist that may be the issue (even the tech who's coming thinks it's a waste of time).

Has this moving of channels happened to anyone else?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #797
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

Of course they don't know how to proceed. Is there some sort of routing table or something that they need to update on their end?

I sholdn't NEED to do anything on my end usually for this, should I? I've already did a reboot. I really don't WANT to do another re-pairing.

I have a tech coming out on Sat. but that's just to "check my signal levels" because they still insist that may be the issue (even the tech who's coming thinks it's a waste of time).

I would try the TWC NCCS (National Cable Card Support) desk at 866.532.2598. They should be able to diagnose this and tell your local TWC people what to do. They have late evening hours and start at 10 am Eastern time.

and
Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #798
SCSIRAID

Quote:

I would suggest that you power off TiVo and TA and reboot. That way you insure a reload of the current channel map.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #799
cwoody222

Quote:
I would try the TWC NCCS (National Cable Card Support) desk at 866.532.2598. They should be able to diagnose this and tell your local TWC people what to do. They have late evening hours and start at 10 am Eastern time.
Funny... the last tech who was here gave me that number. I called it for the first time last night.

The guy who answered (I was told they were in N. Carolina, BTW) told me that customers were not supposed to call it, only techs and techs are not supposed to give it out to customers.

He rudely said he'd help me "this time" but that I shouldn't call again.

He wasn't much help because he said he couldn't "see" my area hub's status or anything on my hardware.

(which I didn't quite understand since if he couldn't see that stuff what the hell would he help a tech with that called)

Oh, and they close at 11pm EST. Found that out after I called my local help desk shortly after 11pm and the NCCS line had "locked" my account (probably just by not exiting properly) so my local desk was limited it what she could go. Idiots.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #800
cwoody222

Quote:
I would suggest that you power off TiVo and TA and reboot. That way you insure a reload of the current channel map.
I rebooted the TiVo last night. No change.

I just tried rebooting the TA and the TiVo. Again, no change.

Oh well, I'll wait to see what they say tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 AM   #801
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Funny... the last tech who was here gave me that number. I called it for the first time last night.

The guy who answered (I was told they were in N. Carolina, BTW) told me that customers were not supposed to call it, only techs and techs are not supposed to give it out to customers.

He rudely said he'd help me "this time" but that I shouldn't call again.

He wasn't much help because he said he couldn't "see" my area hub's status or anything on my hardware.

(which I didn't quite understand since if he couldn't see that stuff what the hell would he help a tech with that called)

Oh, and they close at 11pm EST. Found that out after I called my local help desk shortly after 11pm and the NCCS line had "locked" my account (probably just by not exiting properly) so my local desk was limited it what she could go. Idiots.
Maybe it depends on which NCCS person you get. I've never heard of them being rude before. There have been several forum users who posted they called NCCS directly and were given a good reception, and I have done so myself.

The intended NCCS usage is for a local support rep to refer your case to NCCS. But in the past many of us have had locals who didn't know about NCCS.

It looks like you would be better off initiating a support call with the local rep then asking them to bring in the NCCS, giving them the phone number if they don't know it. I've had it work that way too. Apparently the local rep needs to be involved in order to give NCCS the info they can't see directly.

The poor integration of the NCCS into the TWC support organization never ceases to amaze me -- but many users have posted that NCCS solved their problems in seconds when the local support was helpless.

and
Old 07-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #802
cwoody222

I'm letting my local office handle it. The full story is this...

Ever since May when I made the decision to order I've been keeping their local PR guy in the loop as to my PISS POOR service I've been getting. Usually his response is to jump in and get me some resolution with some managers.

It's ridiculous that I need to do that in order to get simple things like an SDV adapter (when I tried to get one via a phone rep they were out of stock... 15 mins later a manager can get me one by the next day).

I sent their CEO a 5 page snail mail letter detailing the horrible, horrible situation I've endured for the past 6 weeks trying to get this set up working.

After the last round of problems this week I let the cat out of the bag and shared that letter with a few of their corporate twitter accounts and the local PR guy.

I got the impression that that set off a minor **** storm (which was it's intent) and yesterday I started getting more direct service from more managers.

(as an aside I think they think I'm some sort of local blogger or something so they're trying to keep me happy so I don't publicly embarrass them)

The tech was came out last time got involved (since some idiot floated the idea my "signal levels" were off) and he's semi-pissed that he's even being remotely blamed for the problem. (I agree with him, it's not his fault, the levels are not to blame)

He does NOT want to be involved in what he called "all these emails going around today" (internally at TWC). So he's scheduled to come out Sat morning just to eliminate the "signal levels" as problems. It's a waste of both of our time and we both know it.

That is also the tech who gave me the NCCS number and I think I got him in minor trouble when I tweeted that he gave it to me but that I was told it's not a public number.

Meanwhile a manager told me about the 11 channels moved OFF of SDV and I was able to verify those 11 were a problem. I gave him that info late yesterday and he's supposed to get back to me today with a resolution. Basically that's the "DING DING DING - YOU guys f'ed up! Not the install tech!" clue.

So I'm going to sit back and let THEM do their job for a change. If they can't figure it out nor figure out to call NCCS then so be it.

As I tweeted the PR guy yesterday... "As much fun as helping you troubleshoot is, I'd rather just watch TV." I'm done doing their job.

Why did I need to report a problem with those 11 channels? Shouldn't THEY know the ramifications to devices out in the field when they make the changes they did?

Of course they should... which is exactly what the basis of my 2nd follow-up letter to their CEO will be.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #803
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I'm letting my local office handle it. The full story is this...

Ever since May when I made the decision to order I've been keeping their local PR guy in the loop as to my PISS POOR service I've been getting. Usually his response is to jump in and get me some resolution with some managers.

It's ridiculous that I need to do that in order to get simple things like an SDV adapter (when I tried to get one via a phone rep they were out of stock... 15 mins later a manager can get me one by the next day).

I sent their CEO a 5 page snail mail letter detailing the horrible, horrible situation I've endured for the past 6 weeks trying to get this set up working.
Why did I need to report a problem with those 11 channels? Shouldn't THEY know the ramifications to devices out in the field when they make the changes they did?

Of course they should... which is exactly what the basis of my 2nd follow-up letter to their CEO will be.
Yeah it's sad that only people who "know someone" or are willing to become "squeaky wheels" can get attention from TWC on TiVo-related problems. And sad that even when you get their attention their problem solving efforts are disorganized and ineffective. But not really surprising given that less than 0.5% of their customers use TiVo's and TWC wishes they would just go away -- never wanted them in the first place.

I know that you have also filed a comment with the FCC to set the record straight regarding TWC's rosy statements about how well TA's are working out and I encourage others to do so **here**.

and
Old 07-18-2010, 12:12 AM   #804
cwoody222

Turns out after moving those 11 channels TWC didn't update their "channel map". They did that Friday and without even a reboot, everything fixed itself.

But if I wouldn't have reported the problem, I doubt they would have even known.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #805
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Here's a puzzler

My TiVo HD had the viewing tuner set on a particular SDV channel for over 8 hours today and when I turned on the TV there was just a blank screen. All the TA and DVR diagnostics looked perfect (including Tuning Lock, Program lock and PID's) and both TA and Tuner said the tuned frequency was 585 MHz -- so this wasn't the usual tuning failure mode where the TA and Tuner say different frequencies. I had to retune the channel (twice actually) to get it back. And after retuning the frequency (TA and Tuner) changed to 627 MHz.

One theory might be the SDV system decided to reclaim my frequency because of some time limit. But there was no message on the screen. Do those messages just time out and disappear after a while?

and
Old 08-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #806
cwoody222

Quote:
My TiVo HD had the viewing tuner set on a particular SDV channel for over 8 hours today and when I turned on the TV there was just a blank screen. All the TA and DVR diagnostics looked perfect (including Tuning Lock, Program lock and PID's) and both TA and Tuner said the tuned frequency was 585 MHz -- so this wasn't the usual tuning failure mode where the TA and Tuner say different frequencies. I had to retune the channel (twice actually) to get it back. And after retuning the frequency (TA and Tuner) changed to 627 MHz.

One theory might be the SDV system decided to reclaim my frequency because of some time limit. But there was no message on the screen. Do those messages just time out and disappear after a while?
You should have had a message, yes. Not sure why you didn't. But I'm sure that's all that happened, your channel tuned out after the time limit. Happens to me every night/morning.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #807
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
You should have had a message, yes. Not sure why you didn't. But I'm sure that's all that happened, your channel tuned out after the time limit. Happens to me every night/morning.
I know this happens frequently for some users (e.g., you) but for me it has been very rare, in fact I don't believe I've ever even seen the message. I'm sure I've had channels left tuned overnight many times so you would think I would have encountered this before now. On the other hand, initial tuning failures (where the TA diagnostics and DVR Diagnostics show different tuned frequencies) are fairly common for me.

Is the message when SDV reclaims a frequency the same as when you try to tune to a channel that you simply don't subscribe to, i.e., something like the tuning adapter doesn't provide this channel, contact your cable provider? BTW, I would assume these time limits are not the same over all TWC systems (that would be too organized!)

and
Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #808
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I know this happens frequently for some users (e.g., you) but for me it has been very rare, in fact I don't believe I've ever even seen the message. I'm sure I've had channels left tuned overnight many times so you would think I would have encountered this before now. On the other hand, initial tuning failures (where the TA diagnostics and DVR Diagnostics show different tuned frequencies) are fairly common for me.

Is the message when SDV reclaims a frequency the same as when you try to tune to a channel that you simply don't subscribe to, i.e., something like the tuning adapter doesn't provide this channel, contact your cable provider? BTW, I would assume these time limits are not the same over all TWC systems (that would be too organized!)
Ive seen the situation you describe... blank screen after inactivity... but Ive never seen a message about the channel being reclaimed. When I look at DVR Diags, I see the channel 'tuned' fine but no pic.

Sounds like you are still seeing the tuning failures where TA and TiVo frequency dont match and you get the message about 'signal not available' in the recording log. I dont see that much anymore... about once a month at worst.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #809
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
.........Sounds like you are still seeing the tuning failures where TA and TiVo frequency dont match and you get the message about 'signal not available' in the recording log. I dont see that much anymore... about once a month at worst.
Yes, typically 1 to 3 missed recordings per week. Sure would be nice to get at least a hint from TiVo as to whether they might ever address this with an automatic retune. Actually, it seems like they could sense the other problem that I just posted on and do retunes too.

and
Old 08-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #810
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Ive seen the situation you describe... blank screen after inactivity... but Ive never seen a message about the channel being reclaimed. When I look at DVR Diags, I see the channel 'tuned' fine but no pic.

Sounds like you are still seeing the tuning failures where TA and TiVo frequency dont match and you get the message about 'signal not available' in the recording log. I dont see that much anymore... about once a month at worst.
When this happens, does it affect all of your Tivos simultaneously or just one at a time?

Thanks
Ted
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote