Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #691
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
I was seeing it as well. No where near DLFL.
Yes, I think it's been verified in at least 3 different systems, although it's tough to separate out the normal random attacks of pixelation from what SCSIRAID and others are seeing. It's definitely a very real compatibility problem that needs attention.

But if the root cause is as simple as SCSIRAID's explanation, it should be seen everywhere just as badly as he sees it and that's not the case. What he describes seems to be a basic failing on the TiVo's part that should affect every SDV system out there equally. But there are a whole lot of SDV'd TiVos, and the reports seem to be only from a few locations. Perhaps those locations are the only ones with a heavily loaded SDV system so that they need to add and remove streams from a QAM, but that seems unlikely. I'm not convinced we have the whole story yet.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #692
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Yes, I think it's been verified in at least 3 different systems, although it's tough to separate out the normal random attacks of pixelation from what SCSIRAID and others are seeing. It's definitely a very real compatibility problem that needs attention.

But if the root cause is as simple as SCSIRAID's explanation, it should be seen everywhere just as badly as he sees it and that's not the case. What he describes seems to be a basic failing on the TiVo's part that should affect every SDV system out there equally. But there are a whole lot of SDV'd TiVos, and the reports seem to be only from a few locations. Perhaps those locations are the only ones with a heavily loaded SDV system so that they need to add and remove streams from a QAM, but that seems unlikely. I'm not convinced we have the whole story yet.
I have no "normal random attacks of pixelation" on my non-SDV channels -- where pixelation is extremely rare.

There are two factors that could lead to a mistaken impression that the "SCSIRAID" effect is localized to only a few TWC locations:

1. SCSIRAID's investigations, which are somewhat unique, have been reported mainly in the TWC Carolinas thread, where it is not likely to be noticed by Cox, Charter, ComCast, etc. subscribers, and less likely to be noticed by TWC subscribers in other regions. Seeing his posts prompts people having the same problem to post, and vice-versa.

2. You may not be noticing SDV pixelation posts as much as some of us who have the problem and thus tend to search out such posts. For example, **this thread**, which includes complaints from other cable systems and places.

We may never know the "whole story". TiVo may know it but probably wouldn't tell us if they did. SCSIRAID has at least given us a major piece of the story.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #693
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
2. You may not be noticing SDV pixelation posts as much as some of us who have the problem and thus tend to search out such posts. For example, **this thread**, which includes complaints from other cable systems and places.

We may never know the "whole story". TiVo may know it but probably wouldn't tell us if they did. SCSIRAID has at least given us a major piece of the story.
I'm not trying to diminish the importance of SCSIRAID's investigation. It's excellent work and indicates a problem for both TiVo and TW to look into.

But there are many potential causes of pixelation, and even of pixelation on just SDV channels, and even of pixelation with 0 RSS errors (which I see often, with no SDV). A good number of the reports in the thread you cite (which I follow) and other threads are not the same problem. People reporting pixelation starting and intermittently continuing for 45 minutes are probably not the same problem, as I understand the issue. People reporting constant pixelation on only one channel are almost certainly not the same problem. Some of the reports have symptoms matching much better, and are potentially the same issue. Nyijedi is almost certainly the same problem, though Time-Warner in the NYC area has lots of other issues also!

Given that perhaps 20% of cable users have SDV, and therefore I assume 20% of the members here, we are not getting the number of complaints I would expect from a problem that SCSIRAID describes as "Be glad you arent seeing it. It would drive you nuts if you were." I also am not seeing reports of the timing correlation that SCSIRAID observes and is good evidence of the conjecture that stream addition is causing his problems. Unless we understand why we aren't getting those reports, I'm reluctant to conclude that SCSIRAID's explanation (which would affect TiVos on every SDV system out there) is the complete answer.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #694
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I'm not trying to diminish the importance of SCSIRAID's investigation. It's excellent work and indicates a problem for both TiVo and TW to look into..................... .
That's good --- I was confused by your earlier response to my post where you seemed to toss off his work with: "A TW employee blaming TiVo and you completely accept it?"

What would you expect TWC to "look into" if the mpeg2 analyzer says their signal meets standards?.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 03-07-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Correct grammar
Old 03-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #695
SCSIRAID

Crispy asks some reasonable questions... It surely seems that many more folks should be seeing this. The only explanations that I can offer are 1) People are not recognizing that the issue is limited to SDV or that the SDV breakups are somehow 'different' from 'run of the mill' random pixelations that are seen on both TiVo and Cisco equipment, 2) They arent seeing them because the usage habits of folks in their service groups arent causing TS updates 3) Their systems simply dont have much interesting stuff on SDV. Here in the Carolina's, virtually ALL of the non-premium HD content is SDV. That pretty much assures good probability of seeing the issue if you are watching HD. The issue has been reported in not just TWC but also Cablevision areas. It has been reported on both Cisco and BigBand equipment. I would expect to hear more complaints about it and I cant explain why that isnt happening. However, there is not a grain of doubt in my mind as to what the issue is and where the problem lies.

I did discuss with TWC whether it would be possible to implement an SDV system with preallocated programs which would yield a static PAT. This wouldnt excite the issue... but TWC Engineering stated that it didnt meet MPEG specs and that wasnt the way Cisco or BigBand worked. From my reading of the spec, I agree with them as if the PAT didnt change version numbers, the receiver of a stream would not be aware of any content changes. It probably wouldnt matter to a TiVo like implementation but the spec has to cover ALL usages. Even if such a system DID exist, it doesnt change the fact that the current TiVo implementation cannot handle an MPEG standard transport stream and that TiVo needs to get in line with the MPEG standard.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:02 AM   #696
kevin120

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Crispy asks some reasonable questions... It surely seems that many more folks should be seeing this. The only explanations that I can offer are 1) People are not recognizing that the issue is limited to SDV or that the SDV breakups are somehow 'different' from 'run of the mill' random pixelations that are seen on both TiVo and Cisco equipment, 2) They arent seeing them because the usage habits of folks in their service groups arent causing TS updates 3) Their systems simply dont have much interesting stuff on SDV. Here in the Carolina's, virtually ALL of the non-premium HD content is SDV. That pretty much assures good probability of seeing the issue if you are watching HD. The issue has been reported in not just TWC but also Cablevision areas. It has been reported on both Cisco and BigBand equipment. I would expect to hear more complaints about it and I cant explain why that isnt happening. However, there is not a grain of doubt in my mind as to what the issue is and where the problem lies.

I did discuss with TWC whether it would be possible to implement an SDV system with preallocated programs which would yield a static PAT. This wouldnt excite the issue... but TWC Engineering stated that it didnt meet MPEG specs and that wasnt the way Cisco or BigBand worked. From my reading of the spec, I agree with them as if the PAT didnt change version numbers, the receiver of a stream would not be aware of any content changes. It probably wouldnt matter to a TiVo like implementation but the spec has to cover ALL usages. Even if such a system DID exist, it doesnt change the fact that the current TiVo implementation cannot handle an MPEG standard transport stream and that TiVo needs to get in line with the MPEG standard.
that wont work as the SDV protocol calls for the x-xxxx channel designation this is not a TWC decision it is industry standard whether you use Motorola, Cisco, or bigband SDV servers they all do this it is probrably a SCTE standard.

Also there has not been a problem with motorola tuning adapter pixelating on SDV channels using bigband SDV servers. so this is a cisco problem with the Conditional Access and tuning adapter.

Did you know that the color bars test pattern is a SCTE standard so they have standards due to euipment compatibility requirements.

Twc Dallas gets to try out SDV starting on april 5th only the HD expanded channels are going except for the popular HBO HD,SHO, and HDPPV now has replays going so they dont want it to kick you off of your program and you loose your money due to system issues such as timeout.

They have 30 and 40 dollar events on HDPPV everyday even if it is replays and the adult programs late at night.
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:18 AM   #697
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post
that wont work as the SDV protocol calls for the x-xxxx channel designation this is not a TWC decision it is industry standard whether you use Motorola, Cisco, or bigband SDV servers they all do this it is probrably a SCTE standard.

Also there has not been a problem with motorola tuning adapter pixelating on SDV channels using bigband SDV servers. so this is a cisco problem with the Conditional Access and tuning adapter.

Did you know that the color bars test pattern is a SCTE standard so they have standards due to euipment compatibility requirements.

Twc Dallas gets to try out SDV starting on april 5th only the HD expanded channels are going except for the popular HBO HD,SHO, and HDPPV now has replays going so they dont want it to kick you off of your program and you loose your money due to system issues such as timeout.

They have 30 and 40 dollar events on HDPPV everyday even if it is replays and the adult programs late at night.
The 'channel number' is not what I suggested be static. The suggestion was that the 'program number' in the mpeg stream be static.... and as I said in my post, I agree that its not in compliance with the standard. I believe it 'would' work for TiVo but its not going to get the chance because its non standard.

The tuning adapter in this case has nothing to do with the pixelation. The issue is TiVo dumping the CP encrypton nexus when it sees the PAT version increase.

TWC Austin is a Cisco plant using BigBand SDV and it shows the problem as reported by several folks there....
Old 03-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #698
kevin120

Quote:
The 'channel number' is not what I suggested be static. The suggestion was that the 'program number' in the mpeg stream be static.... and as I said in my post, I agree that its not in compliance with the standard. I believe it 'would' work for TiVo but its not going to get the chance because its non standard.

The tuning adapter in this case has nothing to do with the pixelation. The issue is TiVo dumping the CP encrypton nexus when it sees the PAT version increase.

TWC Austin is a Cisco plant using BigBand SDV and it shows the problem as reported by several folks there....
you total ignored that I said the motorola tuning adapter using the bigband solution does not have any pixelation with SDV channels, because TWC maines motorola areas deployed the bigband solution and the MTR700 had no problems and no pixelation on SDV channels.

I already knew that austin uses bigband with SA boxes so the problems is not the tivo it is cisco.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #699
denispelletier

Quote:
There certainly IS proof that TiVo is not following MPEG standards. The MPEG spec allows programs to added to or removed from a transport stream. When that happens, the PAT changes and its 'version number' increments. If you put an MPEG real time analyzer on the QAM TiVo is tuned to (which we did), every time the PAT version increments, TiVo macroblocks. The Hewlett Packard MPEG analyzer found absolutely nothing non compliant in the transport stream. TiVo appears to have made an assumption (probably to simplify their sw) that the transport stream will always be 'static'. That is absolutely true for linear QAM and OTA television... however... its not true when you introduce SDV into the mix.

Whether a user see it depends totally on whether the QAM they are watching gets a stream added or removed. This depends on the 'load' on the SDV system and whether folks are 'surfing' or watching statically. If you tune to a 'full' QAM and the others watching that QAM stay put, there will be no macroblocking.

Be glad you arent seeing it. It would drive you nuts if you were.
I'm a Time Warner costumer in Cary, NC and I have this macroblock/pixelisation problem big time with SDV channels. At this point, would it make a difference if I get in touch with TiVo to complain about this?
denispelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #700
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by denispelletier View Post
I'm a Time Warner costumer in Cary, NC and I have this macroblock/pixelisation problem big time with SDV channels. At this point, would it make a difference if I get in touch with TiVo to complain about this?
They already know. Someone posted that they called TiVo and was told that a fix was in progress. I have no conformation of that though. Never hurts to add your voice though.

Im in Apex so Im in the same boat.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #701
SCSIRAID

Quote:
you total ignored that I said the motorola tuning adapter using the bigband solution does not have any pixelation with SDV channels, because TWC maines motorola areas deployed the bigband solution and the MTR700 had no problems and no pixelation on SDV channels.

I already knew that austin uses bigband with SA boxes so the problems is not the tivo it is cisco.
With all due respect, we have proven that the problem lies with TiVo. We monitored the MPEG TS with a Tektronix real time analyzer and found that every time the PAT version number changed indicating a program addition or deletion to the transport stream, TiVo macroblocked. The analyzer did not flag any MPEG protocol violations in the stream. As you pointed out previously... there is only one MPEG spec and everybody, including TiVo, Cisco and Motorola have to follow it.

The brand of tuning adapter should have no bearing on the situation as its not involved in the mpeg transport stream decoding. I doubt that BigBand does anything different in its SDV server or edge QAM between a motorola plant or a cisco plant relative to TS generation.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #702
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:

I've seen macroblocking happen quite a bit, but generally it's only a second or two and it goes away. One or two times the macroblocking has been so bad the show was unwatchable. The issues seemed to be a hit and miss and by the time I was watching the recorded show the issues weren't happening on the effected channels.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #703
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
I've seen macroblocking happen quite a bit, but generally it's only a second or two and it goes away. One or two times the macroblocking has been so bad the show was unwatchable. The issues seemed to be a hit and miss and by the time I was watching the recorded show the issues weren't happening on the effected channels.
I havent seen anything where it goes on 'constantly' but even one hit a minute can be very annoying. The hits did take about a second to resolve. About the only way to reasonabally 'prove' that its the same issue is to also record the show on an 8300 and check TiVo's RS Uncorrected error count before the show finishes recording. If its this issue, you will find no uncorrected errors on TiVo... A perfect recording on the 8300... and glitches on the TiVo recording. I even did multiple TiVo's and the glitches repeated exactly between the two.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #704
kevin120

Question

Quote:
With all due respect, we have proven that the problem lies with TiVo. We monitored the MPEG TS with a Tektronix real time analyzer and found that every time the PAT version number changed indicating a program addition or deletion to the transport stream, TiVo macroblocked. The analyzer did not flag any MPEG protocol violations in the stream. As you pointed out previously... there is only one MPEG spec and everybody, including TiVo, Cisco and Motorola have to follow it.

The brand of tuning adapter should have no bearing on the situation as its not involved in the mpeg transport stream decoding. I doubt that BigBand does anything different in its SDV server or edge QAM between a motorola plant or a cisco plant relative to TS generation.
could the tivo process mediacypher and power key differently it is possible and this could explain the differences.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #705
SCSIRAID

Quote:
could the tivo process mediacypher and power key differently it is possible and this could explain the differences.
The TiVo doesnt process 'CA Encryption' (Conditional Availability aka Mediacypher and Powerkey). That is all done in the cablecard and hidden from us 'outsiders'. The issue is around 'CP Encryption'. TiVo is likely killing the existing CP encryption nexus when the PAT changes. CP (Copy Protection) is the encryption used between the cablecard and the UDCP.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #706
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Whoa... Eureka?.!... One difference could be that Motorola Cable cards may have chosen to not enable CP encryption when CA Encryption is enabled and CCI = 00. The early versions of the Cablecard Copy Protection spec says no CP encryption in that case but later versions made it optional. Cisco Cablecards DO turn on CP encryption in this case. So... if you are on a Motorola plant that uses CCI=00 for SDV channels AND Motorola cablecards do not force CP encryption for CCI=00 then the TiVo issue wont be excited and you wont see any issue..... If CCI= non00 then the spec requires CP encryption which should see the issue.

This could be an explanation of why many dont see it.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #707
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Whoa... Eureka?.!... One difference could be that Motorola Cable cards may have chosen to not enable CP encryption when CA Encryption is enabled and CCI = 00. The early versions of the Cablecard Copy Protection spec says no CP encryption in that case but later versions made it optional. Cisco Cablecards DO turn on CP encryption in this case. So... if you are on a Motorola plant that uses CCI=00 for SDV channels AND Motorola cablecards do not force CP encryption for CCI=00 then the TiVo issue wont be excited and you wont see any issue..... If CCI= non00 then the spec requires CP encryption which should see the issue.

This could be an explanation of why many dont see it.
I think that could be a very reasonable explanation (you know much more about the technical details than I do). Congratulations!

One quick question: what is being bundled together when we're talking about the PAT version being incremented? Is it all SDV streams being bundled into one stream, or is it only those at one QAM frequency, or a group of QAM frequencies? I've been looking, but since the official ISO docs are off-line, I haven't been able to find anything on the web that describes this process.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #708
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I think that could be a very reasonable explanation (you know much more about the technical details than I do). Congratulations!

One quick question: what is being bundled together when we're talking about the PAT version being incremented? Is it all SDV streams being bundled into one stream, or is it only those at one QAM frequency, or a group of QAM frequencies? I've been looking, but since the official ISO docs are off-line, I haven't been able to find anything on the web that describes this process.
The PAT is only concerned with the programs on that specific Transport Stream on that specific QAM. There is only one Transport stream per QAM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #709
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
The PAT is only concerned with the programs on that specific Transport Stream on that specific QAM. There is only one Transport stream per QAM.
Thanks. One of the theories I have about why we aren't seeing more pixelation is that the cable companies that are still ramping up their SDV may be limiting their channels per QAM for the time being. Thus a channel addition will affect fewer other streams in those locations as compared to a fully loaded implementation like you apparently have.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #710
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Thanks. One of the theories I have about why we aren't seeing more pixelation is that the cable companies that are still ramping up their SDV may be limiting their channels per QAM for the time being. Thus a channel addition will affect fewer other streams in those locations as compared to a fully loaded implementation like you apparently have.
True. Here, I believe they allow 2 HD and 2 SD per QAM. If a system is 3 HD per QAM you have less chance of being hit (2 other slots which a program could be added or deleted as opposed to 3)
Old 03-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #711
Pilot20

I'm on TWC in South Texas.

I've had my Tivo HD for over two years.

Until about two months ago, I was just on the expanded basic package, and had a few HD channels from QAM.

I then decided to upgrade to the Digital Tier with a cable card as most of the QAM channels had disappeared. Installing the cable card was a real pain, as none of the techs here knew anything about them.

After many truck rolls and phone calls, we finally got the cable card (Scientific Atlanta “M” card in slot 1) working. It had not been configured properly on their end.

Last week, TWC moved to SDV. Now, I need a tuning adapter to get most of the channels that I want.

I thought the cable card installation was a pain, but this has been ridiculous.

I went to the retail center to pick up the tuning adapter (Cisco). I'm pretty knowledgeable about such stuff, so I had no trouble connecting it to my Tivo.

However, I couldn't get a steady green light no matter what I did.

Now the fun begins. TWC sent out 4 techs at the same time. They said that it was a training trip as I was the only one here that needed the adapter. They had no idea what they were doing. They checked my signal, called the Nat'l Service Desk, and determined that the tuning adapter was defective. I went back to the Retail Center to get another. Brought it home and again, no steady green light. I called the Nat'l Service Desk and after numerous reboots etc., was told that I had a bad box. So, I went back to the Retail Center and got a third box.

Got it home...no steady green light.

Called the local TWC number and was told that a tech was on the way. I said if he didn't have another box with him, that he was wasting his time. A few hours later, the tech called and said that the tuning adapter was not configured properly on their end, and that it should now work. It didn’t'.

TWC is scheduled again for this PM. I don't have much faith that they will get it working anytime soon. They seem to be out of tuning adapters.

I have made so many phone calls and have had to go through the same song and dance on each call, and I am really getting discouraged.

Could I possibly have 3 bad boxes? The Retail Center said that that is all that they have as there is little demand for them.

It is my understanding from the Service Desk that the box should boot up with a series of green light blinks, and then a steady green, even if the box is not connected to anything but power.

I am getting power to the box as I can get the non SDV channels with the cable routed through the box.

Tivo can see the adapter, but doing a channel test indicates "no channels available" and I never get the “acquiring channels” screen.

I have rebooted the Tivo and tuning adapter numerous times, and tried with and without the USB cable. Nothing I try gets a steady green light.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.
Pilot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #712
jmbissell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot20 View Post
I'm on TWC in South Texas.

I've had my Tivo HD for over two years.

Until about two months ago, I was just on the expanded basic package, and had a few HD channels from QAM.

I then decided to upgrade to the Digital Tier with a cable card as most of the QAM channels had disappeared. Installing the cable card was a real pain, as none of the techs here knew anything about them.

After many truck rolls and phone calls, we finally got the cable card (Scientific Atlanta “M” card in slot 1) working. It had not been configured properly on their end.

Last week, TWC moved to SDV. Now, I need a tuning adapter to get most of the channels that I want.

I thought the cable card installation was a pain, but this has been ridiculous.

I went to the retail center to pick up the tuning adapter (Cisco). I'm pretty knowledgeable about such stuff, so I had no trouble connecting it to my Tivo.

However, I couldn't get a steady green light no matter what I did.

Now the fun begins. TWC sent out 4 techs at the same time. They said that it was a training trip as I was the only one here that needed the adapter. They had no idea what they were doing. They checked my signal, called the Nat'l Service Desk, and determined that the tuning adapter was defective. I went back to the Retail Center to get another. Brought it home and again, no steady green light. I called the Nat'l Service Desk and after numerous reboots etc., was told that I had a bad box. So, I went back to the Retail Center and got a third box.

Got it home...no steady green light.

Called the local TWC number and was told that a tech was on the way. I said if he didn't have another box with him, that he was wasting his time. A few hours later, the tech called and said that the tuning adapter was not configured properly on their end, and that it should now work. It didn’t'.

TWC is scheduled again for this PM. I don't have much faith that they will get it working anytime soon. They seem to be out of tuning adapters.

I have made so many phone calls and have had to go through the same song and dance on each call, and I am really getting discouraged.

Could I possibly have 3 bad boxes? The Retail Center said that that is all that they have as there is little demand for them.

It is my understanding from the Service Desk that the box should boot up with a series of green light blinks, and then a steady green, even if the box is not connected to anything but power.

I am getting power to the box as I can get the non SDV channels with the cable routed through the box.

Tivo can see the adapter, but doing a channel test indicates "no channels available" and I never get the “acquiring channels” screen.

I have rebooted the Tivo and tuning adapter numerous times, and tried with and without the USB cable. Nothing I try gets a steady green light.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.
I had similar problems (though I didn't swap out boxes) when first trying to hook up my TA. The light just kept blinking. TWC wanted to roll a truck but I figured that would be worthless. I asked for the National Cable Card Support Center but the tech had no knowledge of such a group. On a tip from this forum, I contacted TiVo and the tech there had the number and connected me. She even stayed on the line while the NCCC tech looked at the problem. It turned out that my account was not flagged properly for the TA (I'm not sure excatly what they set on your account to enable the TA) so that no amount of effort on my part was going to fix it. He fiddled w/ the account info and almost immediately everything worked.

Lately I've been having a lot of trouble w/ THD freezing. t did it twice yesterday - no response to the remote, black screen. Rebooting solved the problem but this has now been happening so frequently that it must be similar to the other TA problems reported here. THD never froze when I was just on analog cable.
jmbissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #713
Pilot20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbissell View Post
I had similar problems (though I didn't swap out boxes) when first trying to hook up my TA. The light just kept blinking. TWC wanted to roll a truck but I figured that would be worthless. I asked for the National Cable Card Support Center but the tech had no knowledge of such a group. On a tip from this forum, I contacted TiVo and the tech there had the number and connected me. She even stayed on the line while the NCCC tech looked at the problem. It turned out that my account was not flagged properly for the TA (I'm not sure excatly what they set on your account to enable the TA) so that no amount of effort on my part was going to fix it. He fiddled w/ the account info and almost immediately everything worked.

Lately I've been having a lot of trouble w/ THD freezing. t did it twice yesterday - no response to the remote, black screen. Rebooting solved the problem but this has now been happening so frequently that it must be similar to the other TA problems reported here. THD never froze when I was just on analog cable.
Thanks for the tip on calling TIVO. I considered that, but assumed that they wouldn't be much help. I will give them a call.
Pilot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #714
Thess
Drive-By Poster

Quote:
They already know. Someone posted that they called TiVo and was told that a fix was in progress. I have no conformation of that though. Never hurts to add your voice though.

Im in Apex so Im in the same boat.
Over in Durham. For what little it's worth, a friend and I (the friend lives about 2 miles away) have identical TiVoHD/TWC/TA setups and we both see major macroblocking issues on our SDV channels, particularly DSC and Syfy. My recording of Caprica from the SyfyHD airing two Fridays ago was all but unwatchable, and I had to re-record another (middle of the night) airing. My husband and the friend both complain about it ruining a lot of Mythbusters episodes. (I realize it's not show-specific, but if I'm following some of the theories correctly, it would make sense that we see it much worse during shows that air at primetime?)

Anyway--I just wanted to get a small amount of whining in, and also thank the folks who are trying so hard to track this problem down.
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #715
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Another 8-blink war story.....

Roughly once a month I get the 8-blinks. A few times it has been fixed quickly by local (Southwest Ohio) support, but usually I end up talking to the National Cable Card Support (NCCS) desk.

A new wrinkle this time: The local CSR said he was transferring me to "Level 3 Support". When I asked he said that was local. Well he transferred me to the national support desk for internet services. They of course could do nothing and transferred me back to local support -- where I was starting all over again. They sent some signals (which they could not describe in any understandable terms) but after 20 minutes still no joy.

So I finallly ended up at NCCS and they sent signals that finally fixed it, after some reboots, etc. Another 1:15 hrs wasted.

The NCCS guy made some interesting comments:
1. There is a time-out of 30 days on TA's. They are supposed to get a refresh signal automatically ("Balancing" hit I think) before the 30 days expires, but he suspects this isn't working. This would be consistent with my experience.
2. He has heard there is another TA software update in the works that will address a number of problems -- but no specifics available yet.

and
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #716
cdeckert219
technogeek

Thumbs down Flaky technology

I just gotta say it... the tuning adapter solution is the most flaky, frustrating piece of electronics I've ever had. I have to unplug and reinsert the USB adapter 5-6 times a week when it loses connectivity with the TiVo. It reboots at least once a week... and won't reconnect with the TiVo unless I reboot the TiVo, also. I'd love to toss it out!

TWC in San Diego...
Series 2 TCD540040 refurb w/300gb
cdeckert219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #717
bongoherbert
not very special

Quote:
I should probably also mention this too..... I can't say absolutely that it is due to the TA but the evidence does seem to be pointing to it.

When I installed TA on my S3... Suggestions stopped recording. About 2 weeks later I got a TA for my wife's THD... shortly thereafter she complained that her TiVo wasnt recording suggestions anymore. Ive had 2 suggestions record in about 2 weeks. Same for her.

Anybody else seeing this? There is another thread on this subject where it seems that all the people exhibiting it had TA's....
Yep. Me too. Ever since the TA.

I called in to TiVo (actually did their on-line chat). We did a little dance and rebooted, eventually I started receiving suggestions again. Then, a few days ago, I was getting alerts that my guide data was running out (even though I had two weeks worth). I called in again, they told me to do a reboot, and had me force a connection right after it came back up. Another reboot and that fixed the guide-data issue, but now, you guessed it, no more suggestion recording. I've always been a fan of the suggestions, so I'm sort of sad to not have 'em.

But- on the plus side, magically, the HD streaming of netflix is working pretty well. Give a little, get a little.
bongoherbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #718
Effinay

Anyone know if the new TiVo Premier boxes will need a tuning adapter, as well? Are they just a revamped TiVo HD?
Effinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #719
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effinay View Post
Anyone know if the new TiVo Premier boxes will need a tuning adapter, as well? Are they just a revamped TiVo HD?
As far as I can tell, they still need a TA. It's pretty much just a refresh of the TiVo HD with new user interface software on a faster processor. There might be some juicy new hardware hiding inside but nothing has been announced that I know of. I'd expect it can do transfers from the PC faster. I actually don't like what little I've seen of the new UI so I'll be sticking with my S3.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #720
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
As far as I can tell, they still need a TA. It's pretty much just a refresh of the TiVo HD with new user interface software on a faster processor. There might be some juicy new hardware hiding inside but nothing has been announced that I know of. I'd expect it can do transfers from the PC faster. I actually don't like what little I've seen of the new UI so I'll be sticking with my S3.
Yes TA's are still required. Transfer speeds are MUCH improved.

See bkdtv's excellent FAQ sticky thread, which includes transfer benchmarks.

He says the new UI is too slow and this is being worked on. The old "classic" interface is selectable and runs faster than previous models.

and