TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #601
bobrt6676

TA 3 Blinks

Same here. 3 Blinks since I got up for work @ 6AM. Got home @5PM and still blinking. Called CS before checking the forum. Guess what, you got it! Truck Roll!! Scheduled for Saturday. They have no clue it is an expanded issue or that a firmware upgrade was being pushed.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #602
Effinay

I've got the 3 blinks, too. Can TW get anything right in SW Ohio?
Effinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #603
henderpa

I'm getting the 3 blinks as well. At least I'm not alone. . .
henderpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #604
dlfl
Cranky old novice

While all you SW Ohio guys are here, how many of you get the the sporadic pixelation on SDV channels like I do?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #605
bobrt6676

630AM. TA solid green. all stations back. Had to channel up/down on a couple to get them to tune. "VS" was the worst, but working. firmware is now .1001
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #606
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Yep my light went solid sometime between midnight and 1:50am, and I confirm Ver. .1001. I got a follow-up call from NCCS just now. I asked what improvements .1001 is supposed to have. He said improved reliability, in particular fewer 8-blink issues. He stated this version has performed perfectly where it was already deployed. (??)

and
Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #607
Shmooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Yep my light went solid sometime between midnight and 1:50am, and I confirm Ver. .1001. I got a follow-up call from NCCS just now. I asked what improvements .1001 is supposed to have. He said improved reliability, in particular fewer 8-blink issues. He stated this version has performed perfectly where it was already deployed. (??)
We have .1001 in Raleigh/Cary/Apex NC. We had a rash of 8-blink issues about what.. 6 weeks ago? And another one about a month before that.

Not sure when we got .1001, but I'm pretty sure it was before that.

We also lose SDV occasionally with no evidence from the TA (i.e., no blinking light). My wife tells me about it sometimes - she has to force the Tivo to change SDV channels a few times on both tuners and that clears it up. (I suspect this is a Tivo/TA communication issue more than a systemic SDV/TA problem, though.)
Shmooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #608
SCSIRAID

Quote:
.1001 was a mess when it rolled out here. I was seeing lots of hangs and black screens. I spoke with my contact about it who said they were making some adjustments at the head end to deal with it and just after that things got much much better. My S3 hasnt seen a TA issue since that conversation.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #609
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
.1001 was a mess when it rolled out here. I was seeing lots of hangs and black screens. I spoke with my contact about it who said they were making some adjustments at the head end to deal with it and just after that things got much much better. My S3 hasnt seen a TA issue since that conversation.
Your hangs and black screens were when trying to tune, correct? (not on channels already successfully tuned).

Looks like your area was the initial test-and-debug region for .1001 (thanks!). I learned yesterday that NCCS is in the Carolinas. I had guessed they were on the west coast due to their hours starting at 10am.

and
Old 01-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #610
comcastblows

Whew... So after a year of not getting all the channels I've been paying for, countless hours on the phone, at least 10 service calls with several different technicians, and I'm finally up and running with all the channels.

3 techs came out today, one who knew what he was doing, and 2 that just observed. First, we tried swapping the m card for another, but no luck. Then we swapped out the TA (third one thus far) that was stuck in "B'cast Only". The cable card desk folks determined that the entire first batch of TA's that came to Charlotte, NC for the surrounding areas were all still set-up for the Raleigh area (about 3 hours away). And therefore were not going to show up correctly in their system, or rather work at all, from the Charlotte area. It took a little over 2 hours in total on the phone, but they were able to somehow manually move the TA into the correct area on their network. Which then allowed the tuning adapter to go into it's 3 blink update phase and finally activate in two-way mode to give me all the damn channels. The amplifier was taken out of the picture for this to work, but I still get random pixelation on some of the HD channels. So it might go back in line, which I'm sure will probably mess up the TA again.

The moral is, NC tivo people, there is an end in sight, so hold out. If not for the lifetime sub on one of my boxes, this whole experience might have soured my tivo relationship. I was really close to telling TWC off, throwing in the towel and going to direct tv or something. I'm glad it was finally worked out, but wow was this whole experience a huge PITA.
comcastblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #611
scubajwd

I'm out here in sunny warm San Diego; received two Moto M700 TA's from
TW yesterday; initially the TA's would not sync; tried everything to no avail; finally I
called TWC tech support suspecting that they would not know a TA and/or a TIVO if
it were sitting on their desk but what a surprise! The guy was on it; he "refreshed"
my TA from his network side and lo & behold after a minute or so the TA blinking stopped and went solid..the trick: do not plug in the TA USB until you get the
solid amber lite; so far after about 18 hrs I'm still up with SDV and no pixelation issues
yet; config: MOTO M700 TA, TIVO Series3 @11.XX, M1 (multistream cable card)
scubajwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #612
scottc42

it seems that whenever my TA is not getting channels, my Time Warner cable box is also not receiving the same channels.
scottc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #613
ragweedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajwd View Post
I'm out here in sunny warm San Diego; . . . config: MOTO M700 TA, TIVO Series3 @11.XX, M1 (multistream cable card)
Wow, I didn't realize the M-card was an option here in SAN.

Just called TWC and scheduled a swap-out for my S-card on Monday. I've already received a TA from them but I was waiting for the dust to settle before attempting to set it up but will do so on Sunday. Wish me luck.
ragweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #614
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Just got the .1001 firmware update 4 days ago. So far it's been a step backwards. Had to reboot the TA 2 days ago to regain channels and this am had the 8-blinks and had to call TWC. Details in **this post** and the one following it.

My TA signal levels are:
Tuner 6 dBmV (yes, positive)
FDC -3 dBmV
RDC: 39 dBmV

The Tuner value is way above the normal range (-8 to 0). I wonder if that could be a problem?

and

Last edited by dlfl : 01-10-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #615
Grumock

Quote:
Just got the .1001 firmware update 4 days ago. So far it's been a step backwards. Had to reboot the TA 2 days ago to regain channels and this am had the 8-blinks and had to call TWC. Details in **this post** and the one following it.

My TA signal levels are:
Tuner 6 dBmV (yes, positive)
FDC -3 dBmV
RDC: 39 dBmV

The Tuner value is way above the normal range (-8 to 0). I wonder if that could be a problem?
I don't think it is an issue, normally the optimum range is between +7 to -7
Old 01-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #616
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
I don't think it is an issue, normally the optimum range is between +7 to -7
Thanks!

I'm curious where you got that from? My "normal range" (-8 to 0) came from a post by SCSIRAID in the SDV FAQ (**this**).

and
Old 01-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #617
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Thanks!

I'm curious where you got that from? My "normal range" (-8 to 0) came from a post by SCSIRAID in the SDV FAQ (**this**).
The Cisco tuners are quite good and are said to be able to deal with that high of a signal level... but its not optimal. TiVo does NOT like that kind of level and if you are feeding the TA +6 and driving TiVo from TA then you are feeding TiVo MORE than +6 since TA contains an amp.

What concerns me about your levels is the positive tilt... I would have expected FDC and Tuner to be much closer in level. Wouldnt you agree Grumock?
Old 01-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #618
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Hmmm.... The Tuner value is now +2 and I remember about a week ago it was +1. I'm suspecting this depends on what channel you last tuned or something like that(?). I noticed in RF PARAMETERS there is a Tuner: item which is obviously a frequency (e.g., 723.000 MHz) and this is the same frequency listed under CURRENT QAM Freqand this is one of the 2 frequencies tuned in DVR diagnostics, i.e., this is a channel frequency (rather than OOB).

Now this is weird. I jockeyed the channels tuned around to get two frequencies that were NOT 723 MHz (525 and 735) but the frequency given in the TA diagnostics is still 723 for both RF PARAMETERS tuner and in CURRENT QAM Freq (???). (And the two tuned frequencies are in the SDV SESSION INFO section.)

Aha! After some more tuning exercises, the TA Tuner freq is now 573 and the (TA tuner) strength is -2 dBmV. I don't know what sets the frequency used for this measurement but it clearly varies depending on recent tuning history.

I've always had some tilt (or at least variation) of signal across channel frequencies and a lot of my channels are pegged at 100. I experimented with attenuators but had to let some channels hit 100 (actually slightly above) in order to get most of the others into the 80+ range. The only PQ issue I've ever had is the sporadic pixelation of SDV channels consistent with the join-leave-TS theory being investigated by SCSIRAID. So I'm thinking having some channels a little above 100 isn't causing problems.

Bottom line: I think the TA tuner signal value varies from time to time because of tuning history and tilt across the band.

and
Old 01-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #619
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Hmmm.... The Tuner value is now +2 and I remember about a week ago it was +1. I'm suspecting this depends on what channel you last tuned or something like that(?). I noticed in RF PARAMETERS there is a Tuner: item which is obviously a frequency (e.g., 723.000 MHz) and this is the same frequency listed under CURRENT QAM Freqand this is one of the 2 frequencies tuned in DVR diagnostics, i.e., this is a channel frequency (rather than OOB).

Now this is weird. I jockeyed the channels tuned around to get two frequencies that were NOT 723 MHz (525 and 735) but the frequency given in the TA diagnostics is still 723 for both RF PARAMETERS tuner and in CURRENT QAM Freq (???). (And the two tuned frequencies are in the SDV SESSION INFO section.)

Aha! After some more tuning exercises, the TA Tuner freq is now 573 and the (TA tuner) strength is -2 dBmV. I don't know what sets the frequency used for this measurement but it clearly varies depending on recent tuning history.

I've always had some tilt (or at least variation) of signal across channel frequencies and a lot of my channels are pegged at 100. I experimented with attenuators but had to let some channels hit 100 (actually slightly above) in order to get most of the others into the 80+ range. The only PQ issue I've ever had is the sporadic pixelation of SDV channels consistent with the join-leave-TS theory being investigated by SCSIRAID. So I'm thinking having some channels a little above 100 isn't causing problems.

Bottom line: I think the TA tuner signal value varies from time to time because of tuning history and tilt across the band.
Right now I am setting at:

Tuner -3
FDC -4
RDC 46

All is well and TiVo is happy as a clam. Since I am splitting prior to TA to feed TiVo, TiVo should also be seeing -3.

No Tilt.. happy TiVo... what else could you want.. except the SDV pixelation issue fixed.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #620
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Right now I am setting at:

Tuner -3
FDC -4
RDC 46

All is well and TiVo is happy as a clam. Since I am splitting prior to TA to feed TiVo, TiVo should also be seeing -3.

No Tilt.. happy TiVo... what else could you want.. except the SDV pixelation issue fixed.
How about TA reliability? You got your .1001 firmware updates two months ago and said things were bad initially. Are you having no problems requiring reboots or calling TWC now?

and
Old 01-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #621
SCSIRAID

Quote:
How about TA reliability? You got your .1001 firmware updates two months ago and said things were bad initially. Are you having no problems requiring reboots or calling TWC now?
.1001 was initially problematic. My contact indicated some changes were being made at the head end to address it and all has been great since then. I do still see the random black screen / 'video signal not available' but no hangs requiring TA reboots.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #622
Shmooh

Quote:
.1001 was initially problematic. My contact indicated some changes were being made at the head end to address it and all has been great since then. I do still see the random black screen / 'video signal not available' but no hangs requiring TA reboots.
I've been meaning to ask... Do you remember/know the timeframe of the .1001 rollout in Raleigh/Cary/Apex, or when your contact said they were making changes?

I only ask because I don't want to unfairly judge the .1001 firmware because of the problems we had a couple months ago. If it and the back end system configuration have had the kinks worked out since then, then I can just look at it going forward and safely say the .1001 has been an improvement.
Shmooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #623
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmooh View Post
I've been meaning to ask... Do you remember/know the timeframe of the .1001 rollout in Raleigh/Cary/Apex, or when your contact said they were making changes?

I only ask because I don't want to unfairly judge the .1001 firmware because of the problems we had a couple months ago. If it and the back end system configuration have had the kinks worked out since then, then I can just look at it going forward and safely say the .1001 has been an improvement.
If I were at home I could tell you exactly when the changes were supposed to have been made. I believe it was around 12/15 if memory serves.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #624
Max Camber

Quote:
The only PQ issue I've ever had is the sporadic pixelation of SDV channels consistent with the join-leave-TS theory being investigated by SCSIRAID. So I'm thinking having some channels a little above 100 isn't causing problems.
I'm seeing exactly the same thing. It doesn't matter what the signal levels are on the SDV channels as you will always get pixelation, and the linear channels at or above 100 strength come in just fine.

Quote:
I also get the occasional "signal not available" message but so far hitting Select on the remote has worked most of the time and only once did I have to do the channel up/down shuffle. No TA crashes here since the .1001 deployment.
Max Camber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #625
jchas41

Just to follow-up with my situation...I was able to get my Refurb Tivo (was talked into RMAing my original unit) up and running after TWC came out and installed a new M-Card. As I suspected, no change whatsoever. In fact, I would say that the pixellation on my SDV channels seems worse than before (cry). What a waste of $50bucks, really frustrated. All non-SDV stations are perfectly fine. Signal strength is locked in at 93 (was 100, I used an attenuator which made no difference), and no RS errors. At this point, being that Fios is not available in CNY, I guess I will have to grin and bear it and hope this gets resolved...yeah right...sigh
jchas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #626
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas41 View Post
Just to follow-up with my situation...I was able to get my Refurb Tivo (was talked into RMAing my original unit) up and running after TWC came out and installed a new M-Card. As I suspected, no change whatsoever. In fact, I would say that the pixellation on my SDV channels seems worse than before (cry). What a waste of $50bucks, really frustrated. All non-SDV stations are perfectly fine. Signal strength is locked in at 93 (was 100, I used an attenuator which made no difference), and no RS errors. At this point, being that Fios is not available in CNY, I guess I will have to grin and bear it and hope this gets resolved...yeah right...sigh
Hang in there... I remain confident that it will get fixed. It is costing TiVo and TWC money with all the service calls and HW replacements. Im sure both will be motivated to get it fixed. Up till now, I dont believe they were convinced anything was wrong or pointing at each other. With the evidence on the table now.. it cant be denied.

Did I ask you already what cable system you are on?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #627
jchas41

Quote:
Did I ask you already what cable system you are on?
Thanks for the hopeful words, I am on the TWC system in Central NY.
jchas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #628
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Hang in there... I remain confident that it will get fixed. It is costing TiVo and TWC money with all the service calls and HW replacements. Im sure both will be motivated to get it fixed. Up till now, I dont believe they were convinced anything was wrong or pointing at each other. With the evidence on the table now.. it cant be denied.
Is there a possibility this might be fixed with TiVo software mods, or will it have to be TWC adjustments? (I'm assuming a TiVo hardware retrofit can be ruled out.)

and
Old 01-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #629
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Is there a possibility this might be fixed with TiVo software mods, or will it have to be TWC adjustments? (I'm assuming a TiVo hardware retrofit can be ruled out.)
Unknown at this point.... Ive seen nothing that makes me believe this is on TWC's side of the fence. We will have to wait and see.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #630
Jim7201

Tuner Adapter Reboots every 90 minutes

I live in Cumberland County, Maine and I recently had a tuner adapter installed for a Tivo Series 3 HD with cable cards. My TA reboots every 90 minutes. I've read all the posts concerning this problem that were dated last year but I haven't seen any recent posts on this subject. Does that mean there is a simple fix? I reported the problem and TWC came out and replaced the TA. But it has not solved the problem. I have the .801 firmware. When it is not rebooting, I get all my SDV channels. But it is darned annoying. Any suggestions?
Jim7201 is offline   Reply With Quote