TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #511
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Had TA problem this morning, details **here**.

Neither the local TWC CSR or the TiVo tech rep I called knew about the TWC National Cable Card help desk! (I finally got connected by insisting that it existed to the TiVo rep., and they fixed my problem in a minute as usual.)

Note: The NCC desk person never heard of having to leave the power disconnected from the TA for 2 minutes or more and in fact when she had me do this it was only disconnected for a few seconds. It's possible there is a difference depending on whether you're working alone or they have just sent signals to it. (?)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #512
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Had TA problem this morning, details **here**.

Neither the local TWC CSR or the TiVo tech rep I called knew about the TWC National Cable Card help desk! (I finally got connected by insisting that it existed to the TiVo rep., and they fixed my problem in a minute as usual.)

Note: The NCC desk person never heard of having to leave the power disconnected from the TA for 2 minutes or more and in fact when she had me do this it was only disconnected for a few seconds. It's possible there is a difference depending on whether you're working alone or they have just sent signals to it. (?)
Whenever I power cycle a TA, I only have it off for a couple seconds and that is all it seems to take.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #513
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Whenever I power cycle a TA, I only have it off for a couple seconds and that is all it seems to take.
Does that include cases where you were working alone, i.e., had not contacted TWC for a hit, etc. ? I'm wondering if the system polls TA's and if one doesn't respond for 2 minutes it goes into a different state (in which it will "hit" the TA the next time it sees it back on line)?

and
Old 12-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #514
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Any way to turn off SDV on analog locals? I have at least one local channel that has been remapped to SDV and the TiVo has on at least two occasions failed to tune to the station.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #515
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Does that include cases where you were working alone, i.e., had not contacted TWC for a hit, etc. ? I'm wondering if the system polls TA's and if one doesn't respond for 2 minutes it goes into a different state (in which it will "hit" the TA the next time it sees it back on line)?
Yes. Im usually able to get it working again without calling in. The .1001 firmware seem a lot more problematic than the previous version. Ive had to recycle TA's several times in the last couple weeks. I just unplug, count to 2 and plug it back in.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #516
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
.............The .1001 firmware seem a lot more problematic than the previous version. Ive had to recycle TA's several times in the last couple weeks......
Arrgghh! Any discussion with TWC about this?

and
Old 12-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #517
shanebowman

missing new HD channels

Will the cycling information with the TA unhooked from the Tivo solve the issue without calling for a hit? or do you call for the hit and then cycle?

I have this issue everytime we get new channels, last time it knocked out even my CBS, ABC, etc. It takes forever to get someone on the phone that even knows what you are talking about.
shanebowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #518
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanebowman View Post
Will the cycling information with the TA unhooked from the Tivo solve the issue without calling for a hit? or do you call for the hit and then cycle?

I have this issue everytime we get new channels, last time it knocked out even my CBS, ABC, etc. It takes forever to get someone on the phone that even knows what you are talking about.
It should be quite rare that you need a 'hit'. Ive had multiple TA's since Feburary and Ive only needed a hit once and that was the night of the 8 blinks where everybody got messed up (probably due to a glitch at TWC). Ive encountered quite a few TA 'hangs' though. All I have to do is unplug the TA USB, Unplug the TA power, Count to 2 or so, Plug in TA power... wait for TA light to go on solid, plug in TA USB and peace and harmony reigns...

Note that I dont use the RF output of TA. I use a 2 way splitter on the coax from the wall and drive the TA with one output and the TiVo with the other.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #519
shanebowman

thanks I will try the splitter too
Old 12-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #520
spassmeister

Who is not sick of this? I now reboot both TAs on a weekly basis (at least). You don't need to unplug them for two minutes, a few seconds should be enough. This past week here in San Diego, on an unrelated note, TWC changed their lineup...at least they moved Comedy Central to channel 60 from 68, but TiVo still thinks ch 60 is lifetime, and that channel seems to freeze. This is such a fiasco. I have a third HD machine in my office with an official TWC cable box...and IT reboots all the time too.
spassmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #521
scottc42

I suddenly have an opposite problem... My TiVO HD with tuning adapter is tuning SDV channels just fine, while my Time Warner HD stb (non-dvr) is getting "currently not available" on sdv channels.
scottc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #522
Conard

I've been following all of the TA threads here for a few weeks and wonder just how many of the problems mentioned are TWC induced.

I have been using TWC cable cards and a TA since March of this year. There have been 2 times in that period when the TA would lock up or lose connection and both of those times happened withing 24 hours of calls from TWC trying to get me to up grade my service. Each time unpluging the TA and starting it up again brought things back to "normal".

Yes, I do get pixelation on the SDV channels and the Tivo will pull up a blank screen from time to time but nothing compared to all the posts on this forum.

Me thinks that a lot of you are being played with by the cable co.
Conard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #523
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conard View Post
..........Me thinks that a lot of you are being played with by the cable co.
Yes, either intentionally or just by their ineptitude. I would guess the latter is more likely, but their financial incentive would be to discourage TiVo penetration in their market. They are also attacking TiVo by setting copy protection on all channels except local broadcasts, which prevents MRV and TTG. Frankly, if I were TWC, given my understanding of how the Tuning Adapter kluge came about, I would be tempted to do the same thing, or at least I wouldn't be jumping to make it work better.

and
Old 12-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #524
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Yes, either intentionally or just by their ineptitude. I would guess the latter is more likely, but their financial incentive would be to discourage TiVo penetration in their market. They are also attacking TiVo by setting copy protection on all channels except local broadcasts, which prevents MRV and TTG. Frankly, if I were TWC, given my understanding of how the Tuning Adapter kluge came about, I would be tempted to do the same thing, or at least I wouldn't be jumping to make it work better.
I dont see it to be in TWC's best interests to be doing anything purposely to frustrate cablecard customers such as causing their TA's or cablecards to go off line or into brick mode. Such actions would cost them money. Every call to Customer Care costs them money... a truck roll costs them even more money. Where I work, we do everything we can do to drive down service cost as it comes right off the bottom line. Now I DO think that they arent investing in training CSR's and Techs on cablecard as they likely view it as not having a good return on the investment.

As to marking everything 'copy 1 generation' (CCI 02).... I dont believe that has anything to do with wanting to restrain cablecards or UDCP's. I believe it is simply to put them in a position where they can never be accused by content owners of not using everything tool in their bag of tricks to protect content. I see that as in the best interests of the stockholders. Im sure not happy about it but I believe I understand where their head is at (Ill refrain to say what im thinking here... ) Im sure they have seen the lawsuit happy RIAA and dont want any part of that kind of mess.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #525
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I dont see it to be in TWC's best interests to be doing anything purposely to frustrate cablecard customers such as causing their TA's or cablecards to go off line or into brick mode. Such actions would cost them money. Every call to Customer Care costs them money... a truck roll costs them even more money. Where I work, we do everything we can do to drive down service cost as it comes right off the bottom line. Now I DO think that they arent investing in training CSR's and Techs on cablecard as they likely view it as not having a good return on the investment.
2 out of the 3 times I've called TWC about getting my TA reset (all in the last two months) they have not fixed it and wanted to roll a truck. (As I said in another recent post, they didn't even know about the TWC National Cable Card Desk - I had to go thru TiVo support to get there). It seems like it would be obvious to them that better training would be more cost effective......go figure!
Quote:
As to marking everything 'copy 1 generation' (CCI 02).... I dont believe that has anything to do with wanting to restrain cablecards or UDCP's. I believe it is simply to put them in a position where they can never be accused by content owners of not using everything tool in their bag of tricks to protect content. I see that as in the best interests of the stockholders. Im sure not happy about it but I believe I understand where their head is at (Ill refrain to say what im thinking here... ) Im sure they have seen the lawsuit happy RIAA and dont want any part of that kind of mess.
Yet this factor doesn't cause (all) Comcast, Cox and Verizon FIOS to set the same copy protection (?).

and
Old 12-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #526
Conard

The copy protection I'm seeing is caused by the TA.
If I disconnect the TA and tune to a local HD channel and do a recording I can see that recording on my S2 Tivo and transfer it, no problem.

Hook the TA back up and record another program on a local channel and the S2 can't see that program but still sees the one recorded with the TA out of the picture.
Conard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #527
SCSIRAID

Quote:
2 out of the 3 times I've called TWC about getting my TA reset (all in the last two months) they have not fixed it and wanted to roll a truck. (As I said in another recent post, they didn't even know about the TWC National Cable Card Desk - I had to go thru TiVo support to get there). It seems like it would be obvious to them that better training would be more cost effective......go figure!

Yet this factor doesn't cause (all) Comcast, Cox and Verizon FIOS to set the same copy protection (?).
Agree... A ineffective service organization costs them money. On one hand, creating a centralized cablecard support desk is a great idea... but not adding it to the script so customer issues can get fixed seems downright stupid.

On copy protection... I understand your arguement, but there really isnt always just one 'correct' answer. Consensus doesnt necessarily make it right either. Note that Im not saying they are 'right'... Im just suggesting a thought process other than them just wanting to 'screw cablecard users' that may have lead to their position. Id certainly rather have them unlock the stuff so I can use MRV.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #528
shanebowman

Recycling Adapter

Missing newest channels, Tivo says channels not provided by tuning adapter

So I put in a splitter so now I have line going to adapter and separate line going to Tivo. Then I unplugged adapter from wall and Tivo cycled up to steady green light before connecting to Tivo and same issue.

Restarted Tivo = same issue so ran through cycling again, same issue

Went on line and found that TWC has online chat (woo-hoo) and got tech to send refresher hit to adapter, no luck. Tech tells me I have to exchange box or schedule visit.

Any other advice?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #529
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Request connection to the TWC National Cable Card Support Desk. They will most likely fix it in a few minutes or less. The local TWC people frequently don't know what they are doing and can even make things worse. See **this**.

When you talk to the national help desk ask them to please inform the local TWC support people of their existence and phone number (again).

and
Old 12-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #530
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! God I hate this Tuning Adapter with all my heart and soul... Tried TW support chat (like last time, which was successful) but this time "refreshing" the signals as they call it didn't work. Nor did the unlug, power off, reattach procedure... So now I have to waste a good portion of my day messing with this cr*p again. Of course, the rep scheduled a truck roll for tuesday. I am now trying to connect to the NCCS. Awesome!!!!!!!!

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #531
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Request connection to the TWC National Cable Card Support Desk. They will most likely fix it in a few minutes or less. The local TWC people frequently don't know what they are doing and can even make things worse. See **this**.

When you talk to the national help desk ask them to please inform the local TWC support people of their existence and phone number (again).
What are you talking about?!!?!?!? There is no such thing as the TWC National Cable Card Support DEsk according to the very helpful, informative level 3 support tech I just talked to! So TW sends out a truck... And we all pay for it with their ridiculous rates!

TWC has taken at least a year off my life!!!!!!! I just wish I could find a lawyer who could prove it.

So I got to waste half my day and I still have a blinking TA. SUPER AWESOME!!!

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
Old 12-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #532
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer View Post
What are you talking about?!!?!?!? There is no such thing as the TWC National Cable Card Support DEsk according to the very helpful, informative level 3 support tech I just talked to! So TW sends out a truck... And we all pay for it with their ridiculous rates!

TWC has taken at least a year off my life!!!!!!! I just wish I could find a lawyer who could prove it.

I would just keep calling until you find intelligent life that knows about the cablecard support desk. It absolutely exists. Ive talked to folks there twice. All I had to do was ask to be transferred there.....
Old 12-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #533
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

I tried again... I asked to be transferred to NCCS and I've been on hold for over 20 minutes. ;(

Even their on-hold music system SUCKS! First, it plays ONE STUPID & ANNOYING song over and over again. It sounds like something from the Entertainment Tonight guy. Second, the volume of the song cuts in and out so for a second you think someone has actually picked up.

Since I have spent a good portion of my life on hold waiting for Time Warner Cable support, I had to mention this. I think it's their way of screwing with you even more... As much money as they make the least they could do is invest in a decent On Hold Music System!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #534
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
I would just keep calling until you find intelligent life that knows about the cablecard support desk. It absolutely exists. Ive talked to folks there twice. All I had to do was ask to be transferred there.....
I guess it would make to much sense to have a direct number. Instead I have to call repeatedly until I find someone who knows what it is. This is everything customer service shouldn't be. I will leave them the second there is an alternative that will work with my Tivo HD.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #535
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Hanging up... On hold for about 30 minutes with absolutely no information. Just stupid music. Thanks for wasting my Sunday Time Warner! You are the best!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #536
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer View Post

Gee Dolf, Did you read my post in the TWC Southwest Ohio thread, that was linked in my post you are just responding to?

I've had to go through **TiVo support** twice now to get to the TWC NCCS desk. Both TiVo and NCCS said they sent email to make all the TiVo and TWC CSR's aware of NCCS, not that I would count on that.

BTW, don't feel like the Lone Ranger with all the time you've wasted on this.

and
Old 12-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #537
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Spoke to a cable card rep the other day. Said that TiVo chose the wrong way to implement MRV and that the CCI byte was set so people wouldn't try to sell TV recordings.

Tech this morning said that in our area TWC STB's are due in the next 6 months that do MRV. Sounds like a preemptive strike against a vulnerabilty in TIVo's design to get something the TiVo box doesn't do.
180hr S2

Old 12-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #538
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
Spoke to a cable card rep the other day. Said that TiVo chose the wrong way to implement MRV and that the CCI byte was set so people wouldn't try to sell TV recordings.

Tech this morning said that in our area TWC STB's are due in the next 6 months that do MRV. Sounds like a preemptive strike against a vulnerabilty in TIVo's design to get something the TiVo box doesn't do.
I admit to being as guilty as anybody on this, but please let's not divert this thread from being about TA problems! TIA

and
Old 12-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #539
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
I admit to being as guilty as anybody on this, but please let's not divert this thread from being about TA problems! TIA
I'm sorry. I should have added. "While he was here working on a TA problem."

Better?
180hr S2

Old 12-14-2009, 12:57 AM   #540
aine

Quote:
Originally Posted by spassmeister View Post
This past week here in San Diego, on an unrelated note, TWC changed their lineup...at least they moved Comedy Central to channel 60 from 68, but TiVo still thinks ch 60 is lifetime, and that channel seems to freeze.
I am watching this thread to decide whether to endure the apparent pain of getting a Tuning Adapter here in San Diego.

Tonight when I flipped on Channel 68 (Comedy Central) it's black -- "searching for signal, etc." I went over to 60 after reading this post -- same thing. Did I just lose an analog channel? Do I need a tuning adapter to receive what I thought was an analog channel? I'm worried that the TA is going to screw up the relative reliability of my TiVo HD. But I gotta watch Jon Stewart!!
aine is offline   Reply With Quote