TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #481
Max Camber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
I'm just checking to see if there has been any progress with TWC in Austin.
None at all. I've been extremely polite and patient but am still getting minimal/no response to my email at this point. I'm contacting the VP of Customer Care today but have very low expectations.
Max Camber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:26 AM   #482
darkavich

SDV channels don't work after a few hours

Hello,
I have been working with Time Warner for the past 12 months to try and get a problem resolved. The configuration that I have is:

Tivo Series 3
-Dual Cable Cards
- Tuner Adapter .801 firmware

Tivo HD
- Multi-stream Cable Card

After a reboot of the Tuner adapter, which takes about 2-3 minutes before it is authorized to display SDV channels, everything works fine. I can tun in every channel. After a few hours (usually no more than 3) several channels stop working (not 100% of all channels). I can tune them in, and I get 1-2 seconds of the program and then I get the stock message that "This channel is temporarily unavailable".

The problem is resolved (temporarily) by power cycling the tuner adapter. It will then fail to work after a few more hours.

All the technicians at TWC want to do is test the signal of the cable. They tell me it's too high then another says too low. All the time, the problem is not resolved until I reboot. Then a few hours later it fails again.

Does anyone have any advise for trying to work with TWC to resolve this problem? I am in the process of escalating. At this point, I feel like we need a protocol expert from both Cisco and TWC to help me solve this problem.

At the moment, all my SDV channels are worthless to try and record, because I get a 90% failure rate because the tuner adapter will not tune in the channel.

Thanks in advance,
-Steve
darkavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #483
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkavich View Post
Hello,
I have been working with Time Warner for the past 12 months to try and get a problem resolved. The configuration that I have is:

Tivo Series 3
-Dual Cable Cards

Tivo HD

After a reboot of the Tuner adapter, which takes about 2-3 minutes before it is authorized to display SDV channels, everything works fine. I can tun in every channel. After a few hours (usually no more than 3) several channels stop working (not 100% of all channels). I can tune them in, and I get 1-2 seconds of the program and then I get the stock message that "This channel is temporarily unavailable".

The problem is resolved (temporarily) by power cycling the tuner adapter. It will then fail to work after a few more hours.

All the technicians at TWC want to do is test the signal of the cable. They tell me it's too high then another says too low. All the time, the problem is not resolved until I reboot. Then a few hours later it fails again.

Does anyone have any advise for trying to work with TWC to resolve this problem? I am in the process of escalating. At this point, I feel like we need a protocol expert from both Cisco and TWC to help me solve this problem.

At the moment, all my SDV channels are worthless to try and record, because I get a 90% failure rate because the tuner adapter will not tune in the channel.

Thanks in advance,
-Steve

Curious, have any of the techs tried to replace the power supply to the tuning adapter or the TA itself?

When you go to the status summary screen in the Tuning adapter Diag screens go to the second page & you will see three sets of tuner/ FDC / & RDC. What does the middle set that have DBMV next to them read?

Last edited by Grumock : 12-08-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #484
iggygirl6

Time Warner Tuning Adapter Issues in Maine?

Hi all,

After reading about all of the Time Warner tuning adapter issues in this thread, I did not see very many posts about issues in Maine. I was wondering if TWC customers in Maine are having the same issues with the tuning adapter?

I had purchased a TiVo HD recently, but later returned it after reading about all of the problems with cablecards and the tuning adapter. I switched to the the TWC DVR and I hate it. I really want the TiVo back! After some very helpful advice on here, I've decided to take a chance and have ordered another TiVo HD, which is on its way. As a TWC customer in Maine, once I have the cablecards and tuning adapter installed with the new TiVo, am I going to run into the same problems as others have posted on here (rebooting, losing channels, etc.)? Or has the tuner adapter rollout in Maine been better? Thanks in advance for your help.
iggygirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #485
darkavich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Curious, have any of the techs tried to replace the power supply to the tuning adapter or the TA itself?

When you go to the status summary screen in the Tuning adapter Diag screens go to the second page & you will see three sets of tuner/ FDC / & RDC. What does the middle set that have DBMV next to them read?

I have two separate units. So I don't think the power supply is a problem or the unit.

The value for the middle RDC is 41 dBmV.

Thanks,
-Steve
Old 12-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #486
Grumock

Quote:
I have two separate units. So I don't think the power supply is a problem or the unit.

The value for the middle RDC is 41 dBmV.

Thanks,
-Steve
well that RDC is fine. Both of your units are doing the same exact thing?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #487
darkavich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
well that RDC is fine. Both of your units are doing the same exact thing?
Yes, they both do the same thing, but not at the same time. The HD version seems to take longer to fail, while the S3 version does it in less than 3 hours.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #488
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Hello,

Tivo Series 3
-Dual Cable Cards

Tivo HD

Thanks in advance,
-Steve
Where are you located?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #489
darkavich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Where are you located?
San Diego, Ca
Old 12-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #490
darkavich

Quote:
Hello,

Tivo Series 3
-Dual Cable Cards

Tivo HD

Thanks in advance,
-Steve
I contacted Tivo today and they told me that there are two possible problems that would result in this behavior. The first is that my signal is too high. I do have an amplifier on my cable that is adding +8dB.

The second problem is there is a software problem with the Cisco devices that are causing corrupted packets.

I am going to see if the cable company has another brand of tuner adapter and remove the booster from this segment to see if that fixes it.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #491
darkavich

Quote:
I contacted Tivo today and they told me that there are two possible problems that would result in this behavior. The first is that my signal is too high. I do have an amplifier on my cable that is adding +8dB.

The second problem is there is a software problem with the Cisco devices that are causing corrupted packets.

I am going to see if the cable company has another brand of tuner adapter and remove the booster from this segment to see if that fixes it.
So Time Warner called me back (They are on their way out in the morning). The supervisor that will be coming out claims he knows the exact problem and how to fix it. The statement they made was that the cable cards were not bound correctly. <shrug> not sure why other things would be working fine if that was the case.

But, I am cautiously optimistic.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #492
Max Camber

TWC Austin users should be getting a tuning adapter firmware upgrade tonight.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #493
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Camber View Post
TWC Austin users should be getting a tuning adapter firmware upgrade tonight.
To what version number?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #494
Max Camber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
To what version number?
No idea. I'll post as soon as I find out.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #495
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Camber View Post
No idea. I'll post as soon as I find out.
10.01. I'm assuming Aaron gave you a call Max?
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #496
Max Camber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
10.01. I'm assuming Aaron gave you a call Max?
Oh good, TWC is stalking me.

Aaron didn't know which version they were going to push out tonight, just that the update was happening.

TiVo support is also going to follow up with me tomorrow to make sure the new firmware takes care of the problem.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #497
txporter
One sec, almost done

I guess I need to start watching this thread again. If the roll-out goes well, I might consider reconnecting my tuning adapters...
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #498
waldrondigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAClaxton View Post
I'm on TWC-Charlotte as well and had the same problem about a month ago, (the 8 blink and pause on the TA). I called support several times before I got it to work doing the following --

1. Unplug the USB cord connecting the Tivo to the TA.
2. Unplug the power to the TA
3. Wait 2 minutes or so - VERY IMPORTANT
4. Plug in TA and DO NOT connect the USB to the TIVO
5. Once you get a solid green light, you can then connect the USB to the TIVO.

(If you connect the USB to the TIVO to early, that will cause the 8 blink that wouldn't resolve itself.)

Hope this helps,
Phil

P.S. I used to have Comcast in Florida and they were awful. I have been very happy with TWC-Charlotte since I started with them over a year ago.
Your fix was genius. I've been missing a bunch of HD channels for ages and did the steps in order and my previous blinking light TA is now solid and I get my missing channels!! Thank you!
waldrondigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #499
Max Camber

The firmware update just finished around 1:10 AM.

STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1001
Old 12-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #500
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I woke up this morning to discover a "Tuning Adapter Connected" message on my Tivo. So, my box updated to .1001 overnight. Let's see if it corrects some of the bugs.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #501
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I've been able to tune in all the channels without having to do the channel up/channel down trick, so it looks like that bug is fixed. I have not noticed the pixellation problems on SDV channels so I think that has been addressed. It also seems to be able to tune in the SDV faster - sometimes. However, there are still times where there is a 3-5 second delay.

I have a question for the experts -- is the Cisco Tuning Adapter actually capable of tuning in two different SDV channels at once? I have a friend with a regular Time Warner HD DVR and it can record two different SDV channels at once. I have not been able to get my Tivo to do it. I think the rest of the bugs might have to be addressed in a Tivo software update.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #502
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
I've been able to tune in all the channels without having to do the channel up/channel down trick, so it looks like that bug is fixed. I have not noticed the pixellation problems on SDV channels so I think that has been addressed. It also seems to be able to tune in the SDV faster - sometimes. However, there are still times where there is a 3-5 second delay.
If .1001 gets rid of SDV pixelation, I hope we get it in SW Ohio soon!

Quote:
I have a question for the experts -- is the Cisco Tuning Adapter actually capable of tuning in two different SDV channels at once? I have a friend with a regular Time Warner HD DVR and it can record two different SDV channels at once. I have not been able to get my Tivo to do it. I think the rest of the bugs might have to be addressed in a Tivo software update.
Huh? A Series 3 TiVo should definitely tune two SDV channels at the same time.

and
Old 12-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #503
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Okay -- from the last post I take it that the Series 3 can tune in two different SDV channels at the same time, so, by proper inference, the Cisco Tuning Adapter is capable of providing two different SDV channels at the same time to the Series 3. Okay then the bug that occurs when you schedule two recordings at the same time on different SDV channels is something to be addressed by a Tivo software upgrade.

Or does the previous poster have it wrong or perhaps misunderstood the point?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #504
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Okay -- from the last post I take it that the Series 3 can tune in two different SDV channels at the same time, so, by proper inference, the Cisco Tuning Adapter is capable of providing two different SDV channels at the same time to the Series 3. Okay then the bug that occurs when you schedule two recordings at the same time on different SDV channels is something to be addressed by a Tivo software upgrade.

I didn't realize you meant schedule two SDV channel recordings at the same time. I may never have done that. However, I just created that situation to occur in a half hour and will let you know what happens. My TA is Cisco BTW.

and
Old 12-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #505
SCSIRAID

Quote:

The tuning adapter is capable of managing the two channels that TiVo is capable of handling. Note that the TiVo is actually doing the 'tuning' and extracting the program. The TA is only asking the node to provide the program and telling TiVo what frequency and program number the program is assigned to.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #506
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Well my experiement (scheduling 2 SDV channels to start recording at the same time) did show up a bug. It started recording both channels and I was able to switch between tuners one timie to verify it actually had tuned the two channels. However there was a lag of perhaps a minute in responding to the live TV button to switch tuners and then the remote control response was dead although the yellow light was responding. The guide info for the channel I just switched to was stuck on and live video kept playing. After another minute or so the TiVo rebooted.

Of course after rebooting it immediately started recording the same two channels again with about 5 seconds delay between starting one and the other. This went without problems.

Is this what you see? It smacks of some kind of glitch/bug in the interface between the TA and TiVo to me. It may be caused by trying to tune two SDV's at exactly the same moment. Thus a workaround would be to start one of the channels a minute early.

Edit: I did it again with the 1 minute workaround -- no problem.

Edit2: Hmmm.... Did it again with timed recordings starting exactly the same time. No problem. Apparently it's erratic, maybe sensitive to slight timing variations in the TA responses.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 12-10-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #507
Jiffylush

Blinking/Flashing Tuning Adapter after update to STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1001

Tried unplugging/replugging the tuning adapter, rebooting the tivo, disconnecting/reconnecting the usb cable between the two and still all I seem to get is flashing and no SDV channels.

Any advice that doesn't involve me calling a CSR who has never heard of a Tuning Adapter, who will at best send out a tech who has never seen one?
Jiffylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:11 AM   #508
Jiffylush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post

Tried unplugging/replugging the tuning adapter, rebooting the tivo, disconnecting/reconnecting the usb cable between the two and still all I seem to get is flashing and no SDV channels.

Any advice that doesn't involve me calling a CSR who has never heard of a Tuning Adapter, who will at best send out a tech who has never seen one?
Called this morning, call was picked up by regular CSR I told them I was having trouble with my Tuning Adapter and she immediately transferred me to the nation cable card line (which is good!). Unfortunately they don't open till 10am EST (which is bad), I left a VM with my work number but will probably try them around lunch if I don't hear back.

What are the chances I can get them to fix it without me being in front of the device?
Jiffylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #509
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Had a problem last night recording Bones on FOX. TiVo reported a failure to tune the station. can TWC fix this, or is it a TiVo issue?
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #510
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...nt#post7654428

Did you leave the TA unpowered for at least 2 minutes, as noted as IMPORTANT in that post? -- I had a CSR tell me it should be 3 to 5 minutes.

and