TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #451
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Sweet.. it was working fine and I had to unplug my Moxi and move it and I guess that caused the TA to freak out. I kept noticing some things werent recording and when I looked, the channels werent even listed.
could be the disconnection to the cable spurred it, but i think you are feeling the left over affects of the update they are doing for the new software to be released. I think Sccraid & Biginjapan both have the new firmware (.1001)that is coming down the line. I am still showing the .0801 on the three I have now, but i am in the GSO market in NC.

BTW if all that "Balancing HIT" does not work right away, just ask to be transferred to the Cable Card Support desk.

Last edited by Grumock : 11-24-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #452
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
.......BTW if all that "Balancing HIT" does not work right away, just ask to be transferred to the Cable Card Support desk.
I think you have inside knowledge. I notice you call it a "Balancing HIT". I have two questions, if you know:
1. Why is it called a Balancing hit? (What is being balanced?).
2. Are there other kinds of "hits" they make to TA's?

Also, an earlier poster asked for definitions of what the TA blink sequences mean. Here is what I believe about that:

Continuous blinks -- total meltdown. Power cycle TA, cycle USB connector, reboot TiVo, call Cable Co. and/or TiVo support. But first wait 10 minutes at least. When first booting up you can have continuous blinks a long time.

Repeated 8-blink-then-pause sequences -- The TA has "lost provisioning", i.e., needs a [balancing ?] hit from the cable co.

Repeated 6-blink-then-pause sequences -- The TA has lost communication with the TiVo. Plug in or cycle the USB connector.

Steady -- Usually means all OK. However the TA can also stop working and still show a steady light in some cases.

General Tips when there's a problem:
1. First plug-cycle the USB
2. If not fixed, power-cycle the TA, leaving off at least 30 secs.
3. If not fixed, reboot the TiVo.
4. When you call either the Cable Co. or TiVo, after they do everything they can think of and it's still not fixed, ask them to connect you to the TWC National Cable Card Desk. There are plenty of cases posted where that was the only way a Tuning Adapter problem was fixed.

This info may be incomplete or incorrect. Corrections are welcomed!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #453
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I think you have inside knowledge. I notice you call it a "Balancing HIT". I have two questions, if you know:
1. Why is it called a Balancing hit? (What is being balanced?).
2. Are there other kinds of "hits" they make to TA's?

Also, an earlier poster asked for definitions of what the TA blink sequences mean. Here is what I believe about that:

Continuous blinks -- total meltdown. Power cycle TA, cycle USB connector, reboot TiVo, call Cable Co. and/or TiVo support. But first wait 10 minutes at least. When first booting up you can have continuous blinks a long time.

Repeated 8-blink-then-pause sequences -- The TA has "lost provisioning", i.e., needs a [balancing ?] hit from the cable co.

Repeated 6-blink-then-pause sequences -- The TA has lost communication with the TiVo. Plug in or cycle the USB connector.

Steady -- Usually means all OK. However the TA can also stop working and still show a steady light in some cases.

General Tips when there's a problem:
1. First plug-cycle the USB
2. If not fixed, power-cycle the TA, leaving off at least 30 secs.
3. If not fixed, reboot the TiVo.
4. When you call either the Cable Co. or TiVo, after they do everything they can think of and it's still not fixed, ask them to connect you to the TWC National Cable Card Desk. There are plenty of cases posted where that was the only way a Tuning Adapter problem was fixed.

This info may be incomplete or incorrect. Corrections are welcomed!
When you reboot the TA leave the USB cord unplugged until light stays solid.
(there are times when it will go to a 6 blink & pause mode meaning the USB is Disconnected &should go solid as soon as you connect USB)

Once solid you should see the Tuning adapter connected page when u reconnect the USB cord. If not then you need to try other USB port on the back of TIVO & remove the wireless adapter if you have one connected. If still no page comes up then reboot the Tivo. Leaving the USB disconnected until TIVO is back up all the way.

8 Blinks means that it has lost is authorization in the DNCS & normally from what i have gathered a "Balancing Hit" can get that to stop but not always.

Now as far as inside information goes. LOL I wish, I was just very curious when on the phone getting mine taken care of & asked a lot of questions.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #454
walt oswego

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I can add some unconnected pieces - wish I knew enough to put them together better.

The tech who did the work at my house called the 8 blink sequence "brick mode" I assumed that it meant that in that mode the TA was as useful as a brick - but I did not ask.

Balancing hits (whatever they are) did not bring it out of brick mode. Apparently balancing hits can be sent by level 1 support. What seemed to get it out of brick mode was a "provisioning hit"( also called a "staging hit") In order to get one of those, he needed to talk to someone at the head end.
walt oswego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #455
jmfirestone

I have a new issue, one that I haven't seen before and I am not sure what the deal is.

First, my Tuning adapter stopped getting all channels. TWC came and fixed my signal and replaced my adapter. Evrerything seemed find upon checking, but it really wasn't.

I have since rebooted it 3x, but I have an issue now where some channels tune in for 2 seconds and then gives me the message saying the channel is unavailable. Normally, if there was no room for the SDV channel I wanted, I would get the message right away. It would not come in at all. Now it comes in, then disappears.

Some channels work fine, some don't. I have not been able to get SyFyHD in for days with this issue. I find it hard to believe it has not been available in that long.

I see earlier in this thread that it's a TA issue. Ugggh...

Last edited by jmfirestone : 11-29-2009 at 02:43 PM.
jmfirestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #456
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfirestone View Post
I have a new issue, one that I haven't seen before and I am not sure what the deal is.

First, my Tuning adapter stopped getting all channels. TWC came and fixed my signal and replaced my adapter. Evrerything seemed find upon checking, but it really wasn't.

I have since rebooted it 3x, but I have an issue now where some channels tune in for 2 seconds and then gives me the message saying the channel is unavailable. Normally, if there was no room for the SDV channel I wanted, I would get the message right away. It would not come in at all. Now it comes in, then disappears.

Some channels work fine, some don't. I have not been able to get SyFyHD in for days with this issue. I find it hard to believe it has not been available in that long.

I would be inclined to think it is a possible return issue on the line. If you can bring up the Tuning Adapter Diagnostic screen you can check this.

Tivo Central /Messages & settings/ Account & system information / Tuning adapter / Tuning Adapter Diagnostics. From there choose Status Summary & then hit the select button then hit it again so that it takes you to second page in the Status summary screen. In there you will see 3 sets of Tuner, FDC & RDC. The middle set with DBMV are what you are looking at. Your return or RDC should be within no less then 36 & no higher then 55. Your FDC should also be as close to 0 as possible.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #457
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt oswego View Post
I can add some unconnected pieces - wish I knew enough to put them together better.

The tech who did the work at my house called the 8 blink sequence "brick mode" I assumed that it meant that in that mode the TA was as useful as a brick - but I did not ask.

Balancing hits (whatever they are) did not bring it out of brick mode. Apparently balancing hits can be sent by level 1 support. What seemed to get it out of brick mode was a "provisioning hit"( also called a "staging hit") In order to get one of those, he needed to talk to someone at the head end.
during initial installs you might see that Brick Mode or 8 blink mode not able to be changed with a "Balancing hit" & in those cases the head end should be contacted.

I guess from what i gathered though, there are a few markets in the TWC footprint that did some type of update for the new firmware that is to come that put many TAs into the brick mode. For those i was told that all that was needed was a balancing hit & in some rare occasions the USB had to be pulled & the TA rebooted after that hit was sent. This is of course knowledge obtained through the grapevine.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #458
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfirestone View Post

Do you have a regular TWC box in addition to the TiVo? Can you tune those channels on the TWC box? If you dont have one... perhaps borrow one from a neighbor?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #459
DrSnoCaps

Quote:
I would be inclined to think it is a possible return issue on the line. If you can bring up the Tuning Adapter Diagnostic screen you can check this.

Tivo Central /Messages & settings/ Account & system information / Tuning adapter / Tuning Adapter Diagnostics. From there choose Status Summary & then hit the select button then hit it again so that it takes you to second page in the Status summary screen. In there you will see 3 sets of Tuner, FDC & RDC. The middle set with DBMV are what you are looking at. Your return or RDC should be within no less then 36 & no higher then 55. Your FDC should also be as close to 0 as possible.
I have an RDC of 32 and FDC of 14 and those values are outside the range you cited. Is there anything as an end user I can do that might improve them (and thus my TA performance, which kind of sucks :-( )
DrSnoCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #460
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSnoCaps View Post
I have an RDC of 32 and FDC of 14 and those values are outside the range you cited. Is there anything as an end user I can do that might improve them (and thus my TA performance, which kind of sucks :-( )
well I would not recommend using attenuators just as a personal choice. You would or should get a tech out to try & get those levels straight. The problem is that lots of times you will get a tech out who is not willing to get is straight. I forget if you are a TWC user or not? If you are & you get a tech out that is looking at those signals & is telling you they are good you may want to get him to contact the Cable Card Support Desk before he leaves so that there is not a repeat trouble call for the same issue.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #461
SCSIRAID

Quote:
What is the 'Tuner' value? 14 for FDC is huge... I would imagine that the tuner value should be in the same range and is too high.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #462
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
What is the 'Tuner' value? 14 for FDC is huge... I would imagine that the tuner value should be in the same range and is too high.
I agree with you 100%
Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #463
DrMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Camber View Post
Just posting to let the TWC Austin people know that I'm still on the case. I've been exchanging email with a local tech supervisor and thanks to SCSIRAID he is now in touch with the group working on the tuning adapter issues. I'm still trying to create a streamlined process for reporting the TA issues but I'm not expecting to hear back until after Thanksgiving at this point.
I'm just checking to see if there has been any progress with TWC in Austin.

Thanks,

--mark
DrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #464
DrSnoCaps

Quote:
Tuner value is 12 dBmV. I'm right up the road from you near 55 & HighHouse so if you know a good TWC tech, please let me know!
DrSnoCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #465
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Tuner value is 12 dBmV. I'm right up the road from you near 55 & HighHouse so if you know a good TWC tech, please let me know!
Ive got some attenuators you could borrow and see if it fixes your issue.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #466
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Camber View Post
Just posting to let the TWC Austin people know that I'm still on the case. I've been exchanging email with a local tech supervisor and thanks to SCSIRAID he is now in touch with the group working on the tuning adapter issues. I'm still trying to create a streamlined process for reporting the TA issues but I'm not expecting to hear back until after Thanksgiving at this point.
One thing TWC in Austin could do is push out the latest firmware update for the TA. Mine is at .701 and people are posting that they have .1001 I don't know what others in Austin have. I have had the pixellation problems and the issue with having to channel up then down to see a channel and blank recordings on SDV channels and pretty much every bug mentioned here has shown up.

A firmware fix might be the solution but chances are Tivo will have to build some error checking into their end of it to be sure the Tivo is receiving the SDV channel. TWC will have to insure there is enough bandwidth on the requested SDV channel to overcome the pixellation problems.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #467
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
One thing TWC in Austin could do is push out the latest firmware update for the TA. Mine is at .701 and people are posting that they have .1001 I don't know what others in Austin have. I have had the pixellation problems and the issue with having to channel up then down to see a channel and blank recordings on SDV channels and pretty much every bug mentioned here has shown up.

A firmware fix might be the solution but chances are Tivo will have to build some error checking into their end of it to be sure the Tivo is receiving the SDV channel. TWC will have to insure there is enough bandwidth on the requested SDV channel to overcome the pixellation problems.
The "current" version of TA firmware has been .0801 for months now. The only place I'm aware of 0.1001 being deployed is in the Raleigh NC area presumbaly as part of the investigation being done by SCSIRAID there.

Also, I doubt that "sufficient bandwidth" can either be checked by the TiVo or is a primary factor in the pixelation problems. Last I heard, the problems in the Raleigh area are something to do with the way the binary transport stream is formulated in the TWC delivery system that causes problems only for TiVo's, not for TWC STB's or DVR's. Unfortunately one cannot assume the delivery systems in different TWC regions are identical, so we can only hope the solution for Raleigh is also the solution for Austin or other regions.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:28 AM   #468
comcastblows

Hey guys, I'm glad to have found this forum, misery loves company I guess. I'm about a month into no HD channels except for the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS & FOX). It's like I'm waiting for the tuning adapter to finally get to my house, all over again...

I've got a HD tivo with TWC near Charlotte, NC. A few weeks back I lost most of the HD programmimg. Since then I've been through two techs, two tuning adapters, and enough power cycles to make you crazy. But yet I'm still not getting receiving all the HD channels that I'm paying for (Disc, TLC, HISTHD, and other random channels like BBC, god I miss top gear).

I was happy to see the info posted about the 8 blinks. I kept suggesting to the techs that HAD to mean something as I didn't remember it happening in the past. So I guess I'll call tomorrow and request a "balancing hit", reboot, and see if that helps. Then I should call again and request a "provisioning hit"? Or will I just have to wait for another tech to come out and do that?

Thanks for the help. It's pretty horrible to have spent money on a nice TV, a higher end tivo, and then shell out over $110 a month to TWC only to not be able to watch my shows in HD.

Should I have posted this in the main TWC section as I don't really know if it's tuning adapter or the card?

(and yes "comcastblows" is my login, but I now have TWC. But I'm feeling similarly about them...)

Last edited by comcastblows : 12-03-2009 at 02:55 AM.
comcastblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #469
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcastblows View Post
Hey guys, I'm glad to have found this forum, misery loves company I guess. I'm about a month into no HD channels except for the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS & FOX). It's like I'm waiting for the tuning adapter to finally get to my house, all over again...

I've got a HD tivo with TWC near Charlotte, NC. A few weeks back I lost most of the HD programmimg. Since then I've been through two techs, two tuning adapters, and enough power cycles to make you crazy. But yet I'm still not getting receiving all the HD channels that I'm paying for (Disc, TLC, HISTHD, and other random channels like BBC, god I miss top gear).

I was happy to see the info posted about the 8 blinks. I kept suggesting to the techs that HAD to mean something as I didn't remember it happening in the past. So I guess I'll call tomorrow and request a "balancing hit", reboot, and see if that helps. Then I should call again and request a "provisioning hit"? Or will I just have to wait for another tech to come out and do that?

Thanks for the help. It's pretty horrible to have spent money on a nice TV, a higher end tivo, and then shell out over $110 a month to TWC only to not be able to watch my shows in HD.

Should I have posted this in the main TWC section as I don't really know if it's tuning adapter or the card?

(and yes "comcastblows" is my login, but I now have TWC. But I'm feeling similarly about them...)
If you are missing channels, they you likely need a 'balancing' hit. If you pull the TA USB cable, do you get the missing channels? I would expect not since the TA just provides tuning resolution, not entitlement. You dont need to reboot anything though. If you reboot before all the EMM's are received you may defeat the hit.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #470
bobrt6676

Quote:
If you are missing channels, they you likely need a 'balancing' hit. If you pull the TA USB cable, do you get the missing channels? I would expect not since the TA just provides tuning resolution, not entitlement. You dont need to reboot anything though. If you reboot before all the EMM's are received you may defeat the hit.
My recent experience with TW CC/TA hotline suggests it takes 3 HITS to get the EMM's up enough to receive all channels.
1 Hit- I received 2 EMM's no new channels
2nd Hit- 4 EMM's partial channels restored
3rd Hit- 6+EMM's all stations restored
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #471
comcastblows

Thanks for the help. Yes, I don't get the channels with T/A unplugged either.

I called today and got a "balancing hit" and absolutely nothing changed. I still don't get those channels and I still have the eight blink sequence going on. Is the balancing hit for the T/A or for the cable card? Should I bypass the T/A for the hit and plug the hd tivo/cable card in directly?
comcastblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #472
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Yes, I don't get the channels with T/A unplugged either.

I called today and got a "balancing hit" and absolutely nothing changed. I still don't get those channels and I still have the eight blink sequence going on. Is the balancing hit for the T/A or for the cable card? Should I bypass the T/A for the hit and plug the hd tivo/cable card in directly?
I would remove the TA and get the basic TiVo working first...

Missing channels typically means that your account isnt set up properly and your cablecard doesnt have the entitlements that it needs to decode the channels you subscribe to. They typically fix this by 'balancing' your account. This assumes you cablecard is authorized though... If you go into CC Menu... do you have CP AUTH RECVD?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #473
jmfirestone

Quote:

FDC = -1, RDC = 41. Sounds pretty good? TW is coming this morning to look at it.

Quote:
Do you have a regular TWC box in addition to the TiVo? Can you tune those channels on the TWC box? If you dont have one... perhaps borrow one from a neighbor?
The same channel will come in fine on a normal box. That was one of the first things I checked since there is an announcement on the TW phone line that they are having problems with a bunch of set top boxes. I thought it might just be an overall SDV issue. It wasn't.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #474
jmfirestone

The guy came and checked my signals. He said my main signal was way to high at a +15 or something and the max it should be is a +8. He adjusted that, but it still didn't help. He said it's a system wide issue that is going on all over. Raleigh, Charlotte, here in Greensboro. Apparently G'boro gets its feed from Raleigh.

He said it's an engineering issue with the servers, the only thing he can do is escalate it to his supervisor. He did, and his supervisor is apparently going to check all the QAMs from here to the office or something to make sure everything is good. That would take a few days, and once they verify everything is good they pass it on to engineering.

So, I wait...
Old 12-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #475
scottc42

I am TWC Milwaukee. I received my Tuning Adapter several months ago, and I installed it myself with no apparent problems. It pretty much worked right out of the box, and a couple days later I got a call from someone at Time Warner asking if I was happy with the Tuning Adapter and if I needed any support in installing. I said everything was great, and I was pretty pleased with getting the call. Until a few weeks ago, the only problem I had was the occasional "channel not available", but it never interfered with recordings.

Then Time Warner completely changed the channel lineup. This really threw me off, because my memory gets harder and harder to reprogram these days! At first it seemed like my guide really had a hard time adjusting to the new lineup, but this seemed to resolve itself after a few days. Then it seemed like there were a bunch of new channels (maybe they were there before, and I just did not know) in the channel list, but I could not tune to them. Then I noticed that channels I think I should get (FOXHD, SCIENCEHD) were no longer coming in. I never had any blinking lights, but I tried rebooting a few times with no success. I did not bother calling Time Warner. Then yesterday I noticed many of the "missing" channels were back (FOXHD & SCIENCEHD included). I went to the channel list and found more channels I did not know were available (The Weather Channel HD) and selected them. Then I went to watch some of these channels. I could tune to them, but when I tuned away, they dissapeared from the guide and they were unselected in the channel list.

Is this something that also will resolve itself over time?
scottc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #476
rover1

Tuning adapter missing channels in Hawaii

A couple of weeks ago TWC added 8 HD channels to the lineup....the next day they added 1 more and a couple of days later they added one more. The problem is that the original 8 adds will not tune for me at all. I get a plain gray screen. No Temp unavailable or any notices....just the gray screen. The channel added the next day works fine and the last add works just fine. I have called Oceanic and the very nice gentleman went through several steps (from the manual) about rebooting the Tivo and rebooting the TA---which I had already tried before I called. He checked a couple of things with the tech folks while I was on hold but nothing worked. I have a truck roll on 15DEC--the first available date since right after T-giving. I have sent email to TWC support and they have (slowly) been working on a fix. Today I get the notice that a new hit has been sent to both cable card and TA and for me to try the reboots again---still nothing. I told them that it is almost as if the TA is not aware that I am supposed to get those 8 channels. Any suggestions? I am off island for a week starting Sunday so that gives them a few days to maybe come up with a solution--short of the truck roll on the 15th. TIA for any help.
Bill
rover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #477
rover1

More info...I looked at the Tuner Summary and it's as follows... Tuner: -3dbmv FDC -16dbmv RDC 55dbmv... I also looked at a page the addressed EMMS..... they all read Zero. Am I stuck waiting for the tech to come next week?
TIA- Bill
rover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #478
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover1 View Post
More info...I looked at the Tuner Summary and it's as follows... Tuner: -3dbmv FDC -16dbmv RDC 55dbmv... I also looked at a page the addressed EMMS..... they all read Zero. Am I stuck waiting for the tech to come next week?
TIA- Bill
FDC and RDC are certainly out of whack.... The Tuner value is fine though... odd.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #479
woodburger

I am still having problems with lost switched digital channels, lost isp to computer - all on TW Austin. This despite the tech dropping my signal level (another splitter), replacing the cable run to street (300 feet) and putting some sort of noise trap somewhere. One thing I can't figure is when I reboot my router (to get internet back) I ALSO have to reboot TiVo. Does that make sense? I'd say - without looking at my records - I have to reboot something, TA/TiVo, router, at least once a week. I am on my 3rd router and second cable modem.
woodburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #480
PAClaxton
TiVo Since 2001

TA 8 blink - Charlotte

Quote:

I'm on TWC-Charlotte as well and had the same problem about a month ago, (the 8 blink and pause on the TA). I called support several times before I got it to work doing the following --

1. Unplug the USB cord connecting the Tivo to the TA.
2. Unplug the power to the TA
3. Wait 2 minutes or so - VERY IMPORTANT
4. Plug in TA and DO NOT connect the USB to the TIVO
5. Once you get a solid green light, you can then connect the USB to the TIVO.

(If you connect the USB to the TIVO to early, that will cause the 8 blink that wouldn't resolve itself.)

Hope this helps,
Phil

P.S. I used to have Comcast in Florida and they were awful. I have been very happy with TWC-Charlotte since I started with them over a year ago.
PAClaxton is offline   Reply With Quote