TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
thepopeis1

Tivo hd stuck in reboot cycle.

So nearly a week ago now I thought it would be a good idea to run kickstart 58 on my tivo hd even though it was working fine. I thought it would be good for it. I started it before work one morning and walked away right after entering the code. When I come back from work I turn on the tv and it's stuck in this reboot cycle.

It says powering up, than almost there, than a green screen pops up saying "The DVR has detected a serious problem and is now attempting to fix it." than after guessing 20 seconds it restarts it self and starts all over.

About a year and a half ago I put in 1tb drive that I got new on ebay all ready formatted. (I no longer have the old HD)

I got the ultimate boot disk and ran wdidle3 and checked to see if intellipark was disabled and it was. I also ran a full diagnostic on Data Lifeguard Diagnostic vr 5.22 (from western digital) and it found no errors.

I have tried all the other kick start codes and get no change. other than one time after kickstart 52 it said installing a service update for 20 seconds than restarted. I tried 52 again and it went to green screen error and restarts.

I have tried removing my cable card (only accessory) I have also tied with out the hdmi cable plugged in. It still does it.

I have also visually looked the the capacitors / circuit boards and see no obvious issues.

So I come to you all out of ideas. Thank you for your help.
thepopeis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
shwru980r

Look for a cheap tivo hd on craigslist. Verify it boots up and then swap the hard drive and or power supply with yours, until yours will boot and verify the craigslist tivo fails in the same manner.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:32 AM   #3
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

This is headed in the wrong direction.

Once the drive gets into that bootloop, it takes a hex editor, a TCF expert, connecting the drive to a PC, and luck to even hope that drive will ever boot again. I speak from experience.

Sure, the power supply might have some aging caps that lived their lifetime, and are now no longer providing clean power. But, even if you put a perfectly good power supply in, the drive would still GSOD boot-loop.

KS 57 & 58 are notorious for causing this on pefectly good TiVos, with perfectly good power supplies, and perfectly good drives.

There are threads for this. Unitron should know them. He's been participating in the threads about the magic superheader with "EBBAFEED" being what you want put back into a certain place with a hex editor. That string will be missing.

Running KS 57 or 58 "just because it seems like a good idea" is the worst idea, and the odds of this exact problem happening are more in favor of this result, than tossing a coin.

Sorry. I had to learn this the hard way too (multiple time, even). I never was able to recover from it. I only recently spotted that somebody had found the fix, and it isn't easy, or guaranteed.

So, unitron and friends, please guide this poor soul to the many threads it will take to fix the data corruption on the drive, or to re-image it, then worry about the power supply, once the drive is ready to go in (or back in).
Old 09-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopeis1 View Post
So nearly a week ago now I thought it would be a good idea to run kickstart 58 on my tivo hd even though it was working fine. I thought it would be good for it. I started it before work one morning and walked away right after entering the code. When I come back from work I turn on the tv and it's stuck in this reboot cycle.

It says powering up, than almost there, than a green screen pops up saying "The DVR has detected a serious problem and is now attempting to fix it." than after guessing 20 seconds it restarts it self and starts all over.

About a year and a half ago I put in 1tb drive that I got new on ebay all ready formatted. (I no longer have the old HD)

I got the ultimate boot disk and ran wdidle3 and checked to see if intellipark was disabled and it was. I also ran a full diagnostic on Data Lifeguard Diagnostic vr 5.22 (from western digital) and it found no errors.

I have tried all the other kick start codes and get no change. other than one time after kickstart 52 it said installing a service update for 20 seconds than restarted. I tried 52 again and it went to green screen error and restarts.

I have tried removing my cable card (only accessory) I have also tied with out the hdmi cable plugged in. It still does it.

I have also visually looked the the capacitors / circuit boards and see no obvious issues.

So I come to you all out of ideas. Thank you for your help.

If you made yourself a UBCD, you can make an MFS Live cd v1.4

http://mfslive.org/forums/download/file.php?id=89

(it's an .iso file to be burned as an image, resulting in a cd that's handy to have on hand)

and while you're downloading, grab

winmfs.exe

as well

http://www.mfslive.org/forums/download/file.php?id=86

(it's a .zip of an .exe than run under Windows XP SP3 or newer--run with admin privileges in order for it to be able to access hard drives)

Do you have any Linux command line experience?

If the boot drive shows up as

/dev/sda

instead of

C:\

does it throw you?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
joe.masters

Anybody have an image for a TCD648?
joe.masters is offline   Reply With Quote