TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Time Warner Cable Tuning Adapter (ALL LOCATIONS) / Bugs & Issues

Please list any issues you are having here. If this is not helpful or there is a thread that I did not notice, ignore this!

I am going to assume that we all have the same unit? The Cisco STA 1520?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Issue 1 / Stutter When Accessing Guide/Changing Channels

When accessing the guide I notice a brief stutter after a second or two when changing channels.

Time Warner Location: Cincinnati

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360

Last edited by dolfer : 02-28-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Issue 2 / Tuning Adapter Detected Screen Keeps Coming Up

Instead of seeing live TV or Tivo Central, I have now twice seen a message from my Tivo saying that Tivo has detected a Tuning Adapter. This is of course after I have already successfully installed adapter. I am assuming we should only see this message once.

Time Warner Location: Cincinnati

{UPDATE} This is a MAJOR ISSUE because besides ruining a recording, it can also pop up while you are watching a prerecorded show. This happened to me. It's massively annoying! Besides interrupting your show, you will need to obviously restart it, and even worse Tivo forgets where you were. So you have to FF to that point all over again. And apparently a single "reboot event" causes two such interruptions. {Update}

Last edited by dolfer : 02-28-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
dave13077

I have 2 Tivo HD units with cablecards and a TA. One unit is fine but with the second unit every once in a while I get a "channel is temperarily unavaliable please press select to try to tune the channel again". If you mess with the menus in Tivo Central for awhile the channel comes back. If happens on The Fox Business Channel witch is a SDV in our area. Called Tivo support but they were unable to find a fix.

I only get the tuning adapter is dected screen upon a hard reboot.

Last edited by dave13077 : 02-26-2009 at 10:47 AM.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
jpd31

I have a Tivo HD with a TA and I get 1 - 2 second pixellation or video pauses only on the SDV channels. Non-SDV HD and SD channels, I have no problems. I replaced all cables in the house yesterday. No splitters except for a 4-way splitter at the cable entrance to the house. I get 100 signal on the Tivo HD Diagnostic, with 37 db. I even did the signal test on the Tivo HD and watched a SDV channel. It pixellated one time and the signal remained at 100. I think it is a TA issue. I have a TWC cable box and watch the same channel in another room, no issues, and signal is at 37 db on that box. The only cable I have not replaced is the one from the TA to the Tivo. I might replace that tonight.
jpd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Xunaka

I'd be interested to hear about any issues still happening with

Either the TiVo or the Cisco STA1520 Rebooting on a regular basis

Issues with SDV channels missing upon any lineup additions

Or any other general issues

If anyone has any issues, or specific information regarding them
Xunaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer View Post
Issue 2 / Tuning Adapter Detected Screen Keeps Coming Up

Instead of seeing live TV or Tivo Central, I have now twice seen a message from my Tivo saying that Tivo has detected a Tuning Adapter. This is of course after I have already successfully installed adapter. I am assuming we should only see this message once.
I see this one on both my TiVo's with TA's. The source is the TA rebooting. The second page of the TA Diags (go to TA diags and hit select twice) (at the bottom of that page) will show you when the TA last rebooted. You will find that it corrosponds closely to when you see the TA Detected screen. I caught it redhanded once... watching a playback which was interrupted. TA light goes to constant flash... then goes solid on and another TA Detected screen occurs (if you cleared the first one). I found that this issue repeated regularly every 3 days +/- 1 hour. That shifted right after I got the second TA (they touched my account?) and is now at a different time and occuring every 2 days.

The bad thing about this issue is that if you have recordings in progress when it occurs... they are stopped and not restarted and reguardless of their source (OTA, SDV, Linear).

I see this as both a TA issue and a TiVo issue... The TA shouldnt be rebooting every 2 to 3 days... and TiVo shouldnt be overreacting and killing recordings... at least not recordings from non-SDV and OTA channels.

Other than this issue... My TA's are working great!
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
I see this one on both my TiVo's with TA's. The source is the TA rebooting. The second page of the TA Diags (go to TA diags and hit select twice) (at the bottom of that page) will show you when the TA last rebooted. You will find that it corrosponds closely to when you see the TA Detected screen. I caught it redhanded once... watching a playback which was interrupted. TA light goes to constant flash... then goes solid on and another TA Detected screen occurs (if you cleared the first one). I found that this issue repeated regularly every 3 days +/- 1 hour. That shifted right after I got the second TA (they touched my account?) and is now at a different time and occuring every 2 days.

The bad thing about this issue is that if you have recordings in progress when it occurs... they are stopped and not restarted and reguardless of their source (OTA, SDV, Linear).

I see this as both a TA issue and a TiVo issue... The TA shouldnt be rebooting every 2 to 3 days... and TiVo shouldnt be overreacting and killing recordings... at least not recordings from non-SDV and OTA channels.

Other than this issue... My TA's are working great!
{UPDATE} This is a MAJOR ISSUE because besides ruining a recording, it can also pop up while you are watching a prerecorded show. This happened to me. It's massively annoying! Besides interrupting your show, you will need to obviously restart it, and even worse Tivo forgets where you were. So you have to FF to that point all over again. And apparently a single "reboot event" causes two such interruptions. {Update}

This seems like a MAJOR ISSUE to me... I guess I wasn't affected yet because the reboots happened when I wasn't recording anything...

I guess we always have the option of disconnecting the TA until they have the kinks ironed out. The channels that I lose to SDV and that I gain by using the TA are not worth the hassle right now if I start losing recordings.

Hopefully this will get fixed quickly! A bit worried though since it seems to be a two party problem with both TW and Tivo...

Last edited by dolfer : 02-28-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
SCSIRAID

Quote:
This seems like a MAJOR issue to me... I guess I wasn't affected yet because the reboots happened when I wasn't recording anything...

I guess we always have the option of disconnecting the TA until they have the kinks ironed out. The channels that I lose to SDV and that I gain by using the TA are not worth the hassle right now if I start losing recordings.

Hopefully this will get fixed quickly! A bit worried though since it seems to be a two party problem with both TW and Tivo...
Well... from my viewpoint its not major... Ive only lost recordings once... But I understand your perspective may not be the same as mine. I couldnt give up the SDV channels though.... Im hooked!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
SCSIRAID

Suggestions Not Recording - Possible link to TA

I should probably also mention this too..... I can't say absolutely that it is due to the TA but the evidence does seem to be pointing to it.

When I installed TA on my S3... Suggestions stopped recording. About 2 weeks later I got a TA for my wife's THD... shortly thereafter she complained that her TiVo wasnt recording suggestions anymore. Ive had 2 suggestions record in about 2 weeks. Same for her.

Anybody else seeing this? There is another thread on this subject where it seems that all the people exhibiting it had TA's....
Old 02-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
jpd31

I can't say if my TA is rebooting, but I have noticed that the TA is very warm. I wonder if the TA has a overheating issue that is causing the reboot?
jpd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd31 View Post
I can't say if my TA is rebooting, but I have noticed that the TA is very warm. I wonder if the TA has a overheating issue that is causing the reboot?
Its too 'regular' to be something like that IMHO. My two boxes in two different rooms rebooted within 30 mins of each other yesterday.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Not sure if this is TA related but here goes...

After the initial pain of installing the TA I am receiving all of the channels that I expected to receive. However, I have lost about 12 SD channels. When I tune any of these channels I get "Searching for signal...." message. After checking the DVR Diagnostics page I have discovered that all of these channels are at frequency 687000khz. I have passed that info on to the TWC tech I have been working with.

I have also experienced the reboot problem, I noticed the message being displayed on the TiVo twice now. I didn't know if was a reboot issue until reading it here.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr

Last edited by crazywater : 02-26-2009 at 07:52 PM.
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Just turned on the tele and was *again*greeted to the "A Tuning Adapter Has Been Detected" screen... ;( Lovely...

Old 02-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Just turned on the tele and was *again*greeted to the "A Tuning Adapter Has Been Detected" screen... ;( Lovely...
Perhaps you could check for what time it rebooted and keep a little log.... You will probably find a pattern to the times.

TA Diags... hit select twice... bottom of the page 'BOOTED" with time and date below.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #16
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Perhaps you could check for what time it rebooted and keep a little log.... You will probably find a pattern to the times.

TA Diags... hit select twice... bottom of the page 'BOOTED" with time and date below.
Great tip... Thanks. Hopefully they will occur in the daytime when I am NOT recording anything. And hopefully, the issue gets fixed soon so I can stop worrying about it...

Old 02-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #17
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Where are you located? What channels?
Raleigh/Durham (actually in Wake Forest). These are the channels;

Channels that will not tune;

8 – WUVC 687khz QAM256
23 – WGN America 687khz QAM256
32 - ESPN 2 687khz QAM 256
49 – Sci Fi 687khz QAM256
54 – TV Land 687khz QAM 256
58 – Fox News 687khz QAM 256
59 – HGTV 687khz QAM 256
60 – Food Network 687khz QAM 256
67 – TCM 687khz QAM 256
74 – Noggin 687khz QAM 256
98 – TV Guide no frequency at all...
359 – HGTV 687khz QAM 256
360 – Food Network 687khz QAM 256

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #18
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater View Post
Raleigh/Durham (actually in Wake Forest). These are the channels;

Channels that will not tune;

8 – WUVC 687khz QAM256
23 – WGN America 687khz QAM256
32 - ESPN 2 687khz QAM 256
49 – Sci Fi 687khz QAM256
54 – TV Land 687khz QAM 256
58 – Fox News 687khz QAM 256
59 – HGTV 687khz QAM 256
60 – Food Network 687khz QAM 256
67 – TCM 687khz QAM 256
74 – Noggin 687khz QAM 256
98 – TV Guide no frequency at all...
359 – HGTV 687khz QAM 256
360 – Food Network 687khz QAM 256
When you try to tune one of these... what does 'Signal Lock', 'Program Lock' and 'Tune Complete' indicate in DVR Diagnostics? All 'Yes'?

Both my tuners are tied up now or I would check it here but I know my wife has recorded stuff from WGNAmerica successfully with TA.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #19
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
When you try to tune one of these... what does 'Signal Lock', 'Program Lock' and 'Tune Complete' indicate in DVR Diagnostics? All 'Yes'?

Both my tuners are tied up now or I would check it here but I know my wife has recorded stuff from WGNAmerica successfully with TA.
Signal Lock and Program Lock are NO...I do not have Tune Complete, Search Complete is Yes.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #20
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

BIG GLITCH! While watching ER the "Tuning Adapter Found" screen popped up twice. I had to select "continue". Then had to restart program and FF back to appropriate spot. Each time the interruption happened I had to go back and restart the program from the beginning. Tivo seemed to have lost where I had last left off.

It seems like the TA is not ready for prime time. Sorry for the bad pun! But it's very appropriate...

I think I am going to go ahead and disconnect the TA for now before it messes up an important recording...

Old 02-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #21
Xunaka

The firmware for the issue correction exist, however it's not released and is still being tested

(Rebooting problem)
Xunaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #22
realityboy

Is the reboot problem only sporadic? I checked the date on mine, and it hasn't booted since it was first hooked up two weeks ago. I have other problems though.

I've had no auto-recording suggestions for about a week, and my suggestion page is completely empty. It has the standard "as you give more thumb ratings suggestions will appear" message as it has when it's new. The series 3 is about a year old, and I've given lots of thumbs and triple thumbs even. There is always something it should be suggesting. This started about a week after adding the tuning adapter. Possibly it recorded what it had already scheduled, and then it stopped?

Every time that I reboot the Tivo or if it loses power and reboots on its own, it doesn't recognize the Tuning Adapter unless I unplug the USB from the Tivo and plug it back in. Then I get the Tuning Adapter is installed screen This hasn't been a problem yet, but if I am away when the power goes out it could be. The only good thing is that since it doesn't even know there is a Tuning Adapter present, the only channels I lose are SDV which right now in my area are still relatively few. Anyone else see this behavior? I'd hate to swap the TA since the rebooting problem seems a lot worse.
realityboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:19 AM   #23
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater View Post
... When I tune any of these channels I get "Searching for signal...." message. After checking the DVR Diagnostics page I have discovered that all of these channels are at frequency 687000khz. I have passed that info on to the TWC tech I have been working with.
I have 4 frequencies that give me flaky SDV channels... they'll almost always tune in, but recordings have audio dropouts and heavy macroblocking. The same channels aren't always affected but HD ones are far worse and far more frequently affected than SD ones. I've complained about it to TW but never got a response. I'd chuck the TA and TiVo but there are only a couple SDV channels I watch so now I just double up on recordings and hope one will work.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #24
KeithB

Question low-level diagnostic information?

I'd be interested seeing two different things from a intermittent TA configuration:
1) a USB sniffer log of communications between the TA and the TiVo
2) a console/serial/diagnostic port output from the TA (if possible)

Does anyone have any photos / internals information on the Cisco TA?
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #25
SCSIRAID

Quote:
BIG GLITCH! While watching ER the "Tuning Adapter Found" screen popped up twice. I had to select "continue". Then had to restart program and FF back to appropriate spot. Each time the interruption happened I had to go back and restart the program from the beginning. Tivo seemed to have lost where I had last left off.

It seems like the TA is not ready for prime time. Sorry for the bad pun! But it's very appropriate...

I think I am going to go ahead and disconnect the TA for now before it messes up an important recording...
The screen will pop up twice per reboot event... If you clear it when you first see it... it will return in a couple minutes once the TA is ready to rock and roll.

The first screen should happen when the led goes to constant flash. The second screen happens when the led goes solid again.

Did you happen to check the BOOTED time?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #26
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xunaka View Post
The firmware for the issue correction exist, however it's not released and is still being tested

(Rebooting problem)
Source? Tested by who?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #27
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Hmmm... what is the signal level and SNR? All those channels are on the same QAM so there may be just too much noise or not enough signal to recover the channel. If you tune to a good channel what is the signal level and SNR?

Its very likely that the TA has nothing to do with this... with the possible exception of the RF passthru.
Here ya go...

DVR Diag #1.jpg
DVR Diag #2.jpg

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
Old 02-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #28
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

And a good channel...

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Good DVR Diag #1.jpeg (37.3 KB, 3544 views)
File Type: jpeg Good DVR Diag #2.jpeg (39.8 KB, 3537 views)

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
Old 02-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #29
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

I went ahead and disconnected the TA for the time being. For now SDV doesn't take away any of my main channels and the TA doesn't grant me access to any that I care about. Yet...

I would like to know about the firmware fix that XUNAKA mentions... XUNAKA how did you hear about this???

Sorta seems like we are beta testers once again...

Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #30
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Well... the signal level doesnt look too bad... SNR is 34 which should be fine. Did you use the coax that came with the TA or a better quality piece?

The acid test is pulling the usb cable and retrying tuning 68... but I dont think Sling can do that remotely assuming you are currently remote.
Different Coax. I am remote but I have already tried that, when I pull the USB it does not tune in. It seems to be all of the 687000khz channels, or at least the ones that don't tune are all that frequency.

Even when the tech runs a cable from the tap outside through the front door to the back of the TA I still have the same issue...so I personally think its an issue on the street. I can tune all of these channels bypassing the TA but perhaps the signal was borderline before the TA and now with it its too weak.

If I leave the channel on for a long period of time, occasionally it tunes in but only for brief amounts of time. I had it on the TiVo signal strength meter one time and when it tuned in it went from 0 signal to 70 for a minute and then back to 0.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr