TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #121
Dan203
Super Moderator

What about integrating an MP4 muxer into pyTiVo so that any file with the proper audio and video type is remuxed into a proper MP4 container and that stream is push through to the TiVo?

What does pyTiVo do now if it finds a properly encoded MPEG-2 file in the wrong container? For example an MPEG-2 transport stream? Does it have to transcode? Or does it simply repackage the stream into a program stream and pass it over to the TiVo?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #122
tchescat2000

Well I just downloaded the newest pytivo and tried to import one of my mkv files 1080p w/DTS and the debug log says: pyTivo.video.transcode: (False, 'TRANSCODE=YES, vCodec h264 not compatible.'), m:\movies\movie1080pDTS.mkv

Why vCodec h264 not compatible?
tchescat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #123
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchescat2000 View Post
Well I just downloaded the newest pytivo and tried to import one of my mkv files 1080p w/DTS and the debug log says: pyTivo.video.transcode: (False, 'TRANSCODE=YES, vCodec h264 not compatible.'), m:\movies\movie1080pDTS.mkv

Why vCodec h264 not compatible?
If you pull it down to the Tivo the usual way, it'll still get transcoded to mpeg2. You have to "push" it from your computer, using the web interface, to get the native mp4.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #124
tchescat2000

I tried the push way of doing it and the debug log says the same thing, but it doesn't transfer at all that way. It shows up on the Tivo list as transfering, but nothing is really transfering.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #125
moyekj

Quote:
I tried the push way of doing it and the debug log says the same thing, but it doesn't transfer at all that way. It shows up on the Tivo list as transfering, but nothing is really transfering.
When you say you pulled down the latest version, did you get wmcbrine's latest zip file from here?
http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine....75324de;sf=zip
i.e. You should get it from latest zip file here:
http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine.git

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #126
tchescat2000

That is where I got it and that is what version I am running. Also:

I tried a mkv that is not using DTS and pushed it and got the following:

2009-02-24 18:27:42,707 DEBUG pyTivo.video.transcode: (True, 'TRANSCODE=NO, passing through mp4.'), m:\movies\\movie2.mkv
2009-02-24 18:27:42,707 DEBUG pyTivo.video.transcode: m:\movies\\movie2.mkv is tivo compatible
2009-02-24 18:27:42,707 DEBUG pyTivo.video.qt-faststart: ftyp atom not found, is this a valid MOV/MP4 file?

And nothing transfers. Doesn't even show up in the now playing.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #127
kearygriffin

MKV & qtfaststart patch

I just did some testing with MKV files, and could not get a push to work with any MKV's. The only pushes that worked were MKV files that were not h264 (so they transcoded).

I did make a mistake in the qtfaststart stuff that made testing this a little harder (it was throwing an exception when mkv files where put thru qtfaststart, I think moyekj pointed this out earlier) It was supposed to copy the file raw if it had problems parsing it. I am attaching a patch to fix this.

All of the MKV's I tried where h264/ac3 so someone else may want to try h264/aac, but I really have my doubts that TiVo is supporting MKV files natively at the moment.
Attached Files
File Type: txt patch.txt (727 Bytes, 7 views)

Last edited by kearygriffin : 02-24-2009 at 05:53 PM.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #128
moyekj

Quote:
That is where I got it and that is what version I am running. Also:

I tried a mkv that is not using DTS and pushed it and got the following:

2009-02-24 18:27:42,707 DEBUG pyTivo.video.transcode: (True, 'TRANSCODE=NO, passing through mp4.'), m:\movies\\movie2.mkv
2009-02-24 18:27:42,707 DEBUG pyTivo.video.transcode: m:\movies\\movie2.mkv is tivo compatible
2009-02-24 18:27:42,707 DEBUG pyTivo.video.qt-faststart: ftyp atom not found, is this a valid MOV/MP4 file?

And nothing transfers. Doesn't even show up in the now playing.
That make sense now. With only DTS audio the mp4 compatible check fails and hence transcode to mpeg2 is enabled. With the other sample with non-DTS audio the mp4 compatible check passes but then qtfaststart code is trying to parse an mkv container which fails and throws exception.
I'm pretty convinced at this point that mkv container is NOT supported natively anyway so there is not much point trying to patch things to allow mkv containers to go through (bypassing qtfaststart).

EDIT: I see Keary beat me in posting but I'll leave my message anyway...
To clarify now with Keary's patch qtfaststart will be effectively bypassed so now pyTivo will pass the mkv file along to Tivo, but I'm pretty sure you will find the transfer will fail with an exception like "connection closed by peer "- peer being Tivo rejecting the stream in this case).

Old 02-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #129
moyekj

Keary, did you ever experiment native streaming of mkv files with streambaby? From what I recall I believe streambaby currently transcodes mkv to mpeg2 right? I think I may have tried a long while ago with tivostream and found mkv didn't stream natively but I think I was trying to use video/mp4 mime and never tried other mime types such as video/mkv. I'm pretty sure it won't work but just curious if you experimented much at all...

Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #130
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Keary, did you ever experiment native streaming of mkv files with streambaby? From what I recall I believe streambaby currently transcodes mkv to mpeg2 right? I think I may have tried a long while ago with tivostream and found mkv didn't stream natively but I think I was trying to use video/mp4 mime and never tried other mime types such as video/mkv. I'm pretty sure it won't work but just curious if you experimented much at all...
I don't think so, but I just gave it a shot with
video/x-matroska
And got an unsupported stream type error from the Tivo.

It's pretty easy to test out new formats with streambaby.
If you copy (or rename) the file to "filename.raw", and then create a text file called "filename.raw.fmt" with the first line the mimeType, and the second line the contentType: to send to the TiVo, streambaby will give it a whirl. I just tried an MKV with both mime and contentype set to video/x-matroska.

Edit: I am assuming video/x-matroska is correct, as it's what I see referenced most often on the web.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #131
moyekj

OK thanks. So I think the bottom line is AFAWK mkv container is NOT supported. Dan's suggestion earlier on seems to be the next best plausible way of doing it:
use ffmpeg to change container to mp4 if h.264 video & compatible audio stream is detected. That would handle mkv and other non mp4 containers.

One potential complication with that approach however is that one can't just pipe the output of ffmpeg to qtfaststart since with ffmpeg remux I think the moov atom always goes at the end of the file. So one would have to wait until the ffmpeg remux finishes, then send it to qtfaststart and then initiate the push... not too pretty.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #132
kearygriffin

Quote:
OK thanks. So I think the bottom line is AFAWK mkv container is NOT supported. Dan's suggestion earlier on seems to be the next best plausible way of doing it:
use ffmpeg to change container to mp4 if h.264 video & compatible audio stream is detected. That would handle mkv and other non mp4 containers.

One potential complication with that approach however is that one can't just pipe the output of ffmpeg to qtfaststart since with ffmpeg remux I think the moov atom always goes at the end of the file. So one would have to wait until the ffmpeg remux finishes, then send it to qtfaststart and then initiate the push... not too pretty.
The other complicating issue, and maybe it's just me, but I inevitably have audio/video sync issues when I try to do a straight demux/remux to another container format.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #133
moyekj

True, so probably restricting native h.264 push to mp4 container only is the easiest way to go right now short of a reliable alternative. Everything else gets pushed as mpeg2. That's still a big leg up on Tivo Desktop Plus push which doesn't support AC3 audio with h.264.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #134
euckersw

Quote:
Ugh - I've been duped and I'm sorry. I thought I was able to stream mkv files without transcoding and in my excitement I never checked the log. Sure enough, the files were being transcoded. I'm sorry if I got anybody's hopes up. I'll go curl up under a rock again...
euckersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #135
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
The other complicating issue, and maybe it's just me, but I inevitably have audio/video sync issues when I try to do a straight demux/remux to another container format.
Are you using ffmepg to remux? If so try adding the -copyts flag to preserve the timestamps. This is what fixed the sync issues for transcoding mkv to vob in the pyTivo code.

I've been trying to use ffmpeg to remux some of my mkvs to mp4s, but something with my ffmpeg build isn't quite working. It keeps complaining about a failure to set frame size for the ac3 audio stream. Have to try a newer ffmpeg SVN to see if that fixes it.

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #136
Rdian06

Quote:

So I've been meaning to ask, exactly how does streambaby handle the moov atom issue? Can any of that work be leveraged to precompute the moov atom and send it before finishing the remux to mp4?

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #137
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
So I've been meaning to ask, exactly how does streambaby handle the moov atom issue? Can any of that work be leveraged to precompute the moov atom and send it before finishing the remux to mp4?
Keary should answer that question, but remember for streambaby case you are starting from a pre-existing mp4 so the moov atom is readily available to be extracted and sent at the head of the stream. In this case the moov atom is not available until the ffmpeg remux completes. (streambaby currently will transcode to mpeg any mkv file).

Good tip on the -copyts option. I wasn't aware of such a thing.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:34 AM   #138
moyekj

I just confirmed that surprisingly Tivo rejects mp2 and mp3 audio with combination of h.264 video in mp4 container. So basically looks like AC3 & AAC audio only.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #139
euckersw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
I just did some testing with MKV files, and could not get a push to work with any MKV's. The only pushes that worked were MKV files that were not h264 (so they transcoded).

I did make a mistake in the qtfaststart stuff that made testing this a little harder (it was throwing an exception when mkv files where put thru qtfaststart, I think moyekj pointed this out earlier) It was supposed to copy the file raw if it had problems parsing it. I am attaching a patch to fix this.

All of the MKV's I tried where h264/ac3 so someone else may want to try h264/aac, but I really have my doubts that TiVo is supporting MKV files natively at the moment.
How do we apply this patch (not sure where to cut and paste the attached code)? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #140
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Don't bother, just get it from my fork.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #141
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Don't bother, just get it from my fork.
Sorry to be dense, but I have only installed pytivo from the windows installers. Do I just need to download your tar.gz or zip file and dump those files into the pytivo directory and restart the service?

Jason
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #142
euckersw

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Sorry to be dense, but I have only installed pytivo from the windows installers. Do I just need to download your tar.gz or zip file and dump those files into the pytivo directory and restart the service?

Jason
Yes, that's what I do. Just allow the tar.gz or zip file to overwrite everything as you dump it into your pyTivo directory. Obviously if you've made any changes to the files being overwritten, they will be eliminated, so make sure to backup anything you need to before dumping the new files.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #143
burnside

Quick question. I have some mp4s on my HD and I have no idea what audio codec they're running. What do you guys use to see the properties of your mp4 files?
burnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #144
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnside View Post
Quick question. I have some mp4s on my HD and I have no idea what audio codec they're running. What do you guys use to see the properties of your mp4 files?
MediaInfo is pretty nice. You can also use the ffmpeg that comes with pyTivo: "ffmpeg_mp2 -i fileName" to get information in same way pyTivo is doing it.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #145
burnside

Excellent. Thanks moyekj!
burnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #146
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
Nothing in the current code would really help with this issue, but it is an issue I have given some thought to (mostly in the context of transcoding to MP4 instead of mpeg2).

The trick is that moov atom needs to contain offsets to the individual samples (set of frames) in the MP4. So, given the following it might be possible. (This is all theoretical, and I'm not advocating that any of this a good idea...)
1. If the original container format contains the needed offsets, a demuxing/remuxing program would need understand both containers, and read the offsets from the original container and translate it to an MP4 container format.
2. If we were talking about transcoding to MP4 on the fly, if we could use a true CBR audio/video we could precompute where each sample would begin/end and generate a moov atom based on that. (It doesn't have to be exact, because we could "pad" chunks that are not the correct size, but should be close and no sample could ever be longer than our pre-computed sample size)

I'm of the opinion that neither of the above options is worth the considerable effort of implementing.

What I hoping is that some future version of TiVo software (or possibly even the current software, I haven't had a chance to fool around as much as I would like to with it) supports h264 inside of a WMV container. From my limited knowledge WMV (asf) does not require a full fledged index (although it may contain one), so muxing into an WMV container on the fly is a much more reasonable project.

I've never actually gotten a succesfull WMV file to transfer to the TiVo however, mostly because my main OS is linux and creating such a TiVo compatible WMV is not easy (not possible?) on linux. And my limited efforts on windows were also unsuccessful (probably due to lack of persistence. I tried moyekj's instruction on the tivostream page, but didn't have the exact versions of the software he mentioned, and my guesses as to how to translate the instructions where probably wrong)

Old 02-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #147
NA9D

Hey guys,

I'm trying to push a show and I get the following error:

Quote:
No option 'tivo_username' in section: 'Server'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/mnt/disk1/Media/pyTivo/plugins/video/video.py", line 324, in Push
m = mind.getMind()
File "/mnt/disk1/Media/pyTivo/mind.py", line 272, in getMind
username = config.getTivoUsername()
File "/mnt/disk1/Media/pyTivo/config.py", line 42, in getTivoUsername
return config.get('Server', 'tivo_username')
File "/opt/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 520, in get
raise NoOptionError(option, section)
NoOptionError: No option 'tivo_username' in section: 'Server'
Trying to set up a "Server" section gives me weird behavior on the part of the pyTivo webserver...

Edit: OK. Looking at the pyTivo.conf file, I see the "Server" section is the default general settings section. But now, what's this "TivoUsername" thing? My MAK is properly saved and all so I'm not sure what I need to have here...

Last edited by NA9D : 02-25-2009 at 02:41 PM.
NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #148
euckersw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
Hey guys,

I'm trying to push a show and I get the following error:

Trying to set up a "Server" section gives me weird behavior on the part of the pyTivo webserver...

Edit: OK. Looking at the pyTivo.conf file, I see the "Server" section is the default general settings section. But now, what's this "TivoUsername" thing? My MAK is properly saved and all so I'm not sure what I need to have here...
You need to add the following lines to your "Server" section:

tivo_username = <your user name>
'tivo_password' <your password>

where the user name and password are the ones you use on tivo.com to access your account.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #149
NA9D

Thanks for the user name thing. That worked.

Now, I am not sure why but it seems like FFMPEG is trying to transcode from a push. Here's my console log:

Quote:
192.168.1.1 - - [25/Feb/2009 15:23:33] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Push&Container=LSL-MPEG4&File=%2FBarbie+Fairytopia.mp4&tsn=JOLivingRoom HTTP/1.1" 302 -
192.168.1.1 - - [25/Feb/2009 15:23:36] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=LSL-MPEG4 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.1.1 - - [25/Feb/2009 15:23:42] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=XSL&amp;Container=LSL-MPEG4 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.1.58 - - [25/Feb/2009 15:23:47] "GET /LSL-MPEG4/Barbie%20Fairytopia.mp4 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
FFmpeg version UNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
configuration: --enable-cross-compile --cross-prefix=/home/slug/optware/cs05q3armel/toolchain/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/gcc-2005q3-glibc-2.3.6/bin/arm-none-l
Yes, I know it's a "Barbie" movie but when you have two little girls in the house who love fairies and princesses, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

So I see the Tivo making the request to pull the show but then the transcoding starts. Is my MP4 not correct then?
NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #150
euckersw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
Thanks for the user name thing. That worked.

Now, I am not sure why but it seems like FFMPEG is trying to transcode from a push. Here's my console log:

Yes, I know it's a "Barbie" movie but when you have two little girls in the house who love fairies and princesses, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

So I see the Tivo making the request to pull the show but then the transcoding starts. Is my MP4 not correct then?
Hrm - I'm certainly no expert at this point, but check the log for text similar to this to see if the file is being transcoded or not: