TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #271
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
OK, I found a tivoapp 11.0b binary and interestingly enough "strings" command does find avcL41MP4 among other strings containing mp4.
Can you open the binary in a hex editor and see if you can find any other strings around the vc1ApL3 and avcL41MP4 strings which might be of interest? Maybe they support some other format that we don't know about yet

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #272
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Can you open the binary in a hex editor and see if you can find any other strings around the vc1ApL3 and avcL41MP4 strings which might be of interest? Maybe they support some other format that we don't know about yet

Dan
The full list appears to be:
tivo, windowsMedia, mpeg2ProgramStream, mpeg2TransportStream, avcL41MP4, vc1ApL3

hmm. auto pushes of mpeg2 transport streams would be interesting...

P.S. Around that vicinity there are also some copy protection (CCI byte) related strings like:
copyFreely, copyNever, copyNoMore, copyOnce, none
Maybe there is hope to turn off copy protection when these are auto-pushed to Tivos...

wmcbrine's idea of searching through tivoapp binary looks like has opened up a bunch of mini-projects to explore new capabilities. Good stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 03-04-2009 at 06:17 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #273
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The full list appears to be:
tivo, windowsMedia, mpeg2ProgramStream, mpeg2TransportStream, avcL41MP4, vc1ApL3
There are two lists -- the first one, just after "supportedEncodingType", has only avcL41MP4, vc1ApL3 and mpeg2ProgramStream. I think those are the only valid ones... at least, "windowsMedia" doesn't work.

Quote:
P.S. Around that vicinity there are also some copy protection (CCI byte) related strings like: copyFreely, copyNever, copyNoMore, copyOnce
Yeah, those look like the right values, but what's the key name? I figured it was "cgms", but that gets rejected, and I don't see any other likely candidates around there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
Perhaps the dual request has something to do with DRM.
I don't think that's it. The last time I tried, it actually took three requests. And one time, it went on the first try (just after I'd switched to video/bif, which is why I'd thought that was the fix). All with the same test file.

Quote:
Could the MIME type also be why pull mode doesn't work with these new formats?
I'm pretty sure I tested that unsuccessfully already, but that might've been before I realized that no MIME type was being sent at the start of a file, so I'll check again.

Edit: Yeah, reconfirming that it doesn't work.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 03-04-2009 at 09:29 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #274
moyekj

I confirmed last night that Tivo can't decode 5.1/7.1 channel WMA3 audio. So looks like still only VC-1 AP (<= L3) video and 2 channel CBR WMA2 audio is supported as documented in the Wiki page.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #275
Rdian06

moyekj, can you try this clip?

http://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1872213/wvc1%20+%205.1ac3.asf

It's converted from one of Apple's Dark Knight trailers. VC-1 video and AC3 5.1 audio in an ASF container. VLC seems to handle it fine on Windows.

Found it in this thread:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archi...d-t354346.html

If that works, I might be able to rip a bunch of my old HD DVDs and just toss them at the Tivo. Would have to transcode the audio from EAC3 to AC3, but that shouldn't be too bad. Albeit they'd be rather huge files...

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Last edited by Rdian06 : 03-05-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #276
moyekj

I can try it but I doubt it will work. I already tried asf container with VC-1 video and AC3 audio (and AAC audio) and it didnt' work. If you convert to wma2 CBR 2 channel audio then it probably would work...

Old 03-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #277
Rdian06

Ah, nevermind then.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #278
moyekj

Confirmed. With AC3 audio the Tivo won't actually reject it for either streaming or pushing, but when you go play it will actually buffer on the Tivo but you get no video and super fast playback. WMA2 CBR 2 channel audio is required by the looks of it for now...

NOTE: After converting that clip's audio to WMA2 with ffmpeg it then did work:
ffmpeg.exe -i wvc1_51ac3.wmv -vcodec copy -acodec wmav2 -ac 2 -f asf test.wmv

Last edited by moyekj : 03-05-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #279
Rdian06

Just a quick note to say I finally updated the Windows installer for wmcbrine's pyTivo fork over the weekend.

New version pyTivo-wmcbrine-2009.03.19-RC1 uses his near latest code with MP4 & WMV non-transcode Push, better Push metadata, and fixed web config browser compatibility.

On my side of things this new installer should play nicer on Vista (it avoids writing anything to the pyTivo program folder during runtime) and the Python detection issues for 64 bit OSes should be fixed.

NOTE: Because we moved a lot of things around, you should UNINSTALL past versions AND start over with the installer's freshly generated conf file (in the new conf location) and re-customize rather than reusing your old conf.

Download from:

http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/updated-w...3-21-t512.html

Old 03-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #280
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
New version pyTivo-wmcbrine-2009.03.19-RC1 uses his near latest code
You probably should update again.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #281
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
You probably should update again.
Hey, I said "near" didn't I

I need to figure out how to script a few things on my end to make updating easier. The NSI builder script is somewhat painful to update when files are added or removed (like with the mutagen and eyeD3 stuff.) Synching changes to existing stuff isn't so bad. But you change stuff like hourly

Old 03-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #282
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
OK, this isn't directly TiVo related, but it seems relevant: Is there a way to transcode only the audio portion of a MP4 file, leaving the video unmodified? I have an MP4 that was transcoded by Handbrake that has AC3 audio. I'd like it to have AAC audio instead; is there a way with Handbrake (or anything else, for that matter) to do this conversion?

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #283
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
OK, this isn't directly TiVo related, but it seems relevant: Is there a way to transcode only the audio portion of a MP4 file, leaving the video unmodified? I have an MP4 that was transcoded by Handbrake that has AC3 audio. I'd like it to have AAC audio instead; is there a way with Handbrake (or anything else, for that matter) to do this conversion?

Brad
Something like this with ffmpeg may work:
ffmpeg -i INPUT.mp4 -vcodec copy -copyts -acodec libfaac -f mp4 OUTPUT.mp4
(This will only re-encode audio)

With the handbrake GUI you could do it by using your MP4 as source, but that will re-encode both video and audio thus losing quality and taking a long time.
Not sure if there is a way to do it with handbrakeCLI (the command line executable that handbrake calls).

Old 03-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #284
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thank you very much, moyekj! The conversion took only a few minutes and I'm ten minutes into watching it and there are no sync issues or anything else funky as yet.

Awesome!

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #285
DrewS3

How can I tell if a Tivo recording is in Mp4? All my HD recordings are about 6GB/hr. Does this mean they are all mpeg2?
DrewS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #286
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The TiVo doesn't (yet) make MP4 recordings. Only material transferred over the network can be in MP4; and, so far, all of it is marked as copy prohibited on the TiVo, so you can't extract it back to a .TiVo file. There doesn't seem to be any indication on the info screens, either.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #287
DrewS3

OK, thanks. I misunderstood which direction these transfers were going.
Are all TivoHD recordings in MPEG2? Do cable companies have plans to broadcast other codecs?
DrewS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #288
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewS3 View Post
Are all TivoHD recordings in MPEG2? Do cable companies have plans to broadcast other codecs?
The TiVoHD records the videos stream as sent by the cable company. All cable companies currently use MPEG2. Many do have plans for MPEG4 at some point in the future, but nothing that's been formally announced.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #289
fyodor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewS3 View Post
It's going to be a while-you need the whole pipeline to be upgraded (new set top boxes, switches, etc). Also, for reasons that would take a while to explain, the benefits of H.264 encoding are not as great for transmitted cable signals as they are for "local" video, so the benefits are going to only be moderate.

For now, you'll mostly see H.264 for satellite systems, where the simpler infrastructure (satellite to dish) makes it easier to upgrade.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #290
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
Also, for reasons that would take a while to explain, the benefits of H.264 encoding are not as great for transmitted cable signals as they are for "local" video, so the benefits are going to only be moderate.
I'd like to hear the explanation as to why this would be if you have time. I'm in the video industry (see sig) and have a good understanding of local TS streams so feel free to get technical. Is this a QAM issue? Or maybe since the cable companies would have to encode to H.264 on the fly they can't use some of the more advanced features of the codec that make it so efficient?

Just curious

Dan
Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #291
fyodor

Well, I should clarify-a "locally" stored TS file streamed from the cable system would still have the same compression characteristics.

My basic understanding is that one of the main benefits of h.264 over mpeg-2 for say, a blu-ray disc is the lower number of keyframes. However, because of greater potential for lost packets and/or the need to keep channel change delay lower, h.264 transport streams used for satellite and cable have a higher number of keyframes and accordingly don't quite get as much extra benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'd like to hear the explanation as to why this would be if you have time. I'm in the video industry (see sig) and have a good understanding of local TS streams so feel free to get technical. Is this a QAM issue? Or maybe since the cable companies would have to encode to H.264 on the fly they can't use some of the more advanced features of the codec that make it so efficient?

Just curious

Dan

Old 04-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #292
morac
Cat God

Quote:
My basic understanding is that one of the main benefits of h.264 over mpeg-2 for say, a blu-ray disc is the lower number of keyframes. However, because of greater potential for lost packets and/or the need to keep channel change delay lower, h.264 transport streams used for satellite and cable have a higher number of keyframes and accordingly don't quite get as much extra benefit.
I'm not sure that's correct. It really doesn't make any sense since packet loss is more of an issue when streaming programming from the Internet, yet h.264 works very well there and the file sizes are significantly smaller than MPEG-2.

Also some channels are being distributed natively in h.264, HBO for example. HBO currently broadcasts using h.264 encoding at 8 mbps. Satellite providers just pass this on as is to their customers. Cable companies must convert the HBO channels to MPEG-2 which results in a loss of quality.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #293
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I'm not sure that's correct. It really doesn't make any sense since packet loss is more of an issue when streaming programming from the Internet, yet h.264 works very well there and the file sizes are significantly smaller than MPEG-2.
All internet streaming I've seen buffers a significant portion of the video before starting playback, so that there's time to re-fetch any dropped packets. With cable and even more for satellite, there's not enough time (and the infrastructure isn't there) to replace any dropped packets.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #294
fyodor

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
My understanding of this is imperfect, but I believe that Internet streams can be buffered to re-request missing packets, etc, whereas for cable/satellite transmissions, it's basically a single broadcasted stream that goes to everyone. The cable company is basically sending the same flow of packets to everyone simultaneously.

Re HBO broadcasting in H.264, it doesn't really matter whether HBO is doing it or the satellite provider-they know that it's being provided for broadcast, so they encode the stream with more keyframes. It's not that there's anything structurally different about the encoding, but at the encoding stage they know that it will be used for transmission, so they build it with more redundancy/less efficiency.

All that being said, this is far from my area of expertise, so if someone has a more informed understanding, I'll defer to them.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #295
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
All internet streaming I've seen buffers a significant portion of the video before starting playback, so that there's time to re-fetch any dropped packets. With cable and even more for satellite, there's not enough time (and the infrastructure isn't there) to replace any dropped packets.
Well that's where error correction kicks in.

Realistically though, there shouldn't be any packet loss on a cable system. Dropped packets would show up as macro-blocking on the TV since I'm pretty sure digital cable does not use TCP/IP, so there wouldn't be any way to re-fetch dropped packets.

Even if more key frames were needed, h.264 has some significant advantages over MPEG-2 which would still allow smaller bitrates without loss in quality.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #296
Dan203
Super Moderator

Most consumer H.264 encoders cap the GOP length at 50 frames. If cable companies used the same specs it would require up to 1.66 seconds to sync the stream and start decoding a channel change. That is a bit long, so I could see cable companies capping the GOP length at 25-30 frames to get it down to about 1 second.

However long GOPs are only part of the reason MPEG-4/H.264 is so efficient. Other things, such as the ability of B frames to reference multiple frames, variable macroblock sizes, multiple motion vectors and quarter pixel motion compensation can all still be used to lower the bitrate while retaining equivalent quality.

Like someone else pointed out above HBO uses an 8Mbps H.264 stream for transmission to providers. By contrast the major networks all use 15-18Mbps for the MPEG-2 HD streams. So by switching to H.264 cable companies could, at the very least, cram twice as many HD channels into their lineup.

I think the biggest problem is hardware. Most cable providers would have to upgrade a whole sloth of STBs and DVRs to support H.264, which would cost them some serious cash. There might also be some regulations due to the whole CableCARD thing. I don't H.264 decoding was ever part of CableCARD certification, so if the cable companies switched they'd limiting, or disabling, a lot of CableCARD enabled devices. Although they're still deploying SDV even though it breaks CableCARD, so maybe not.

Dan
Old 04-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #297
TheAmigo

Quote:
Is it possible to configure Pytivo to check for MP4 files and push in response to a pull request for one of those files?
I think this would be a very slick feature. Ideally, I'd like to see it as a special item when browsing a pyTivo share. For any folder that you browse into, pyTivo adds a special item as the first "file" called "[download this entire folder]". Selecting to transfer that item to the TiVo would trigger pyTivo to push all the individual files in there (while returning some dummy file to fulfill the pull request).

I'd love this for e.g. when returning from vacation and I put 10 short video clips from my digicam into a folder that pyTivo is sharing... then I wouldn't have to select to transfer each one, I could just click the [push all] option and wait a bit... then I'd get a folder called "My Vacation" (or whatever) on the TiVo that I could click Play on to see all and only those videos.