TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
jmaditto

Time Warner Cable Tuning Adapter - The Carolinas

Since it seems South and North Carolina are somewhat tied together with TWC, I thought it might be appropriate to have our own thread as the TA’s are starting to roll out in our two states. I think we have similar TWC networks so there should be a lot in common. Let’s use this thread to post the following about TWC TA’s in South Carolina and North Carolina
  • TA install schedule – you have an estimated install date? Post it here.
  • TA Installed – lucky enough to have the TA installed? Post it here and tell us how it went.
  • TA Install Issues/Resolution – had an install problem that was resolved, post it here and tell us how…this might help the next guy.
  • Any other relevant info or insider info on TA’s in the Carolinas please post it here.

Maybe this will work maybe not...worth a try.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
jmaditto

I'll kick things off. Received an email communication from TWC stating TA's are in testing and most areas will receive the TA's in Feb 09. The previous letter stated the same thing except the target date was Jan 09 (

Heard from a TW engineer confirming TA testing in Columbia and that is was “going well” Still working to get additional details.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

I have one TiVo HD now but it is just doing analog and OTA.

I have a second Tivo HD that is supposed to be shipping to me but it is lost in limbo (long story). Once that comes in I will go cable card and of course get the TA for it.

I had done a preliminary call and the CSR knew about cable cards and that seemed fairly smooth but she had not heard of Tuning adapters. Once My TiVo HD arrives and I start asking for real I will report back.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
macd2

Is there a list somewhere of which channels are through SVC and which are not? I had a CableCard installed this week and I'm missing some channels I think I should get. I think it's because of SVC. The tech told me I was not supposed to get those channels.
(I'm in the Raleigh market.)
macd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
szurlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaditto View Post
I'll kick things off. Received an email communication from TWC stating TA's are in testing and most areas will receive the TA's in Feb 09. The previous letter stated the same thing except the target date was Jan 09 (
Right, and one before that said "December". I'd be willing to bet that this letter is not being manually updated. It's simply showing the current month +1 for the ETA. It's almost as bad as that sign you see in bars that says "Free Beer Tomorrow!".
Old 02-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
szurlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd2 View Post
Is there a list somewhere of which channels are through SVC and which are not? I had a CableCard installed this week and I'm missing some channels I think I should get. I think it's because of SVC. The tech told me I was not supposed to get those channels.
Not that I have ever been able to find, and other posters have indicated that TWC actually refuses to provide this information. If you still have a TWC DVR, you may be able to figure out which channels are SDV by viewing a specific diagnostic screen on the TWC DVR. However, even that information is suspect, since some of us appear to be getting some channels on our Tivos that the diag screen says are SDV even though we don't have TAs yet.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
SCSIRAID

G2 says Raleigh should be starting the process today or tomorrow. Look for a letter in your mailbox. Head End code is installed and ready to rock and roll.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
SCSIRAID

Quote:
What are you missing? I can tell you if its SDV. All of the new stuff is SDV.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
KeithB

Charlotte - An M-card worked well until the new TiVo HD died after five weeks. The replacement TiVo HD wouldn't pair successfully with M-cards because it came with 8.x firmware. 11.x firmware finally downloaded a few days later, but I haven't called TWC to bring an M-card back out yet, since they don't also have Tuning Adapters available yet.

I applied for a Tuning Adapter through TWC's webpage after the first TiVo HD was working well with the M-card. At that time, they said TAs were expected before the end of the year 2008. Then they e-mailed a few weeks later and said before the end of January 2009. It's February now, and the local TWC office is clueless. I called last week, they wouldn't provide any estimated date for TA availability, and they neglected to call me back in 48 hours as promised. I called again Wednesday and received the same non-story and the same commitment for a return call. Then I walked into the Arrowwood Drive office and asked directly for information. The front-desk agents didn't know any more than anyone else, but at least they were polite. The one tiny bit of information I gained yesterday afternoon was the Greensboro, NC office is managing the cable-card and tuning adapter effort.

I filed an online complaint with the FCC yesterday. I'm sick and tired of hearing "Free HD" in all of their advertisements, because I don't plan on paying TWC monthly fees for their set-top-box. That means I must pay monthly fees for the 'digital tier' and a cable card. Neither of those situations equate to the "Free HD" they so heavily advertise. Especially when they don't provide a Tuning Adapter yet.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
jmaditto

This is Depressing

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.....

Does anyone in SC or NC have a working TA right now?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.....

Does anyone in SC or NC have a working TA right now?
Jacksonian does in Greensboro. Probably some others who arent admitting it.

What maybe wasnt such a good idea?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
macd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
What are you missing? I can tell you if its SDV. All of the new stuff is SDV.
I am receiving Encore, but not Encore2 and the other Encore channels.

That's all I remember for sure right now. I'll check at home tonight.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #13
jmaditto

Idea

Quote:
Jacksonian does in Greensboro. Probably some others who arent admitting it.

What maybe wasnt such a good idea?

Thanks. I was half way kidding about the idea. I just posted that b/c I was expecting more positive responses about people getting TA's close by giving my hope that mine is just around the corner. Really, I think this will be a helpful thread.

mac - I used to get ESPNHD but at some point that went SDV....can't get it on the THD now.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
jpd31

Jacksonian was the first in Greensboro to get a TA, but he got his because TWC is testing out the TA before releasing it out to the public. I am in Winston-Salem and I have not gotten a call or letter about when I am to receive a TA. I'm glad that this thread is here because at least there is communication here and we have yet gotten anything from TWC.
jpd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
NIGHT STALKER

I have had a MS cc for almost a year now and make it a point to call and complain monthly
about lack of channels, SDV, paying for useless cc, etc. All I get is we're working on it and there are no plans to bring it out soon. BUT, I WILL be the FIRST one notified when it is ready to roll out! I'm sitting by the phone now.
NIGHT STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #16
convergent

Someone posted in another thread that Raleigh was supposed to start rolling them out today. Can anyone confirm that? I am in Raleigh and missing a lot of channels today.

I also completely agree with the reply about TW advertising "free HD". I hardly call it free.
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
Someone posted in another thread that Raleigh was supposed to start rolling them out today. Can anyone confirm that? I am in Raleigh and missing a lot of channels today.

I also completely agree with the reply about TW advertising "free HD". I hardly call it free.
Raleigh is ready.... They just have to start turning the crank. G2 is that it is a staged rollout with some folks getting a letter very soon with instructions on how to obtain. There are TA's working in Raleigh right now.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #18
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I am receiving Encore, but not Encore2 and the other Encore channels.

That's all I remember for sure right now. I'll check at home tonight.
The Encore channels are not SDV.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #19
jmfirestone

Encore is it's own thing for movie channels I think. I thought I was paying for them all, but I don't get the encores, even on the normal TWC HD boxes.

I am in Greensboro and have been anxiously awaiting my TA for a long time as well. jacksonian seemed to think Feb was the month, apparently he was the first guinea pig in our area. I really hope that yesterday was the roll out day (as someone suggested) and there is a TA sitting on my doorstep when I get home!

Obviously, I don't really have my hopes up for that.
jmfirestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
convergent

Quote:
Raleigh is ready.... They just have to start turning the crank. G2 is that it is a staged rollout with some folks getting a letter very soon with instructions on how to obtain. There are TA's working in Raleigh right now.
Thats great to hear... can't wait to get my hands on one.
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #21
JPALMETTO

Sumter, SC

I was told by a contact w/in TWC T/A would be available NEXT week! We'll see. I was promised to know immediately as I have been complaining for months now.
JPALMETTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #22
kevinivey

Quote:
Thanks. I was half way kidding about the idea. I just posted that b/c I was expecting more positive responses about people getting TA's close by giving my hope that mine is just around the corner. Really, I think this will be a helpful thread.

mac - I used to get ESPNHD but at some point that went SDV....can't get it on the THD now.
espnhd is NOT switched. No problem tuning with my tivo hd with a single M card.

ESPN2HD ,and ESPNUHD are both switched.

Last edited by kevinivey : 02-05-2009 at 06:40 PM.
kevinivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #23
kevinivey

I do hope that when these are released that they will be a self install. I really to not want to deal with another subcontractor.
kevinivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #24
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinivey View Post
I do hope that when these are released that they will be a self install. I really to not want to deal with another subcontractor.
Raleigh will be self install.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #25
szurlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinivey View Post
espnhd is NOT switched. No problem tuning with my tivo hd with a single M card.

ESPN2HD ,and ESPNUHD are both switched.
Interesting. I get ESPNHD occasionally. Most days its just a gray screen.
TivoHD with a single M card.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #26
BigBearf

Have two Tivo HD XLs in Wrightsville Beach, NC. M-Cards were installed about 4 months ago with no real difficulty except about a 20 minute wait on hold for the installer.

SDV channels introduced about 6-8 weeks ago but not many channels that I miss at this point in time. I still have a 8300HD and have been told that the tuning adapters will be available in Feb or March.

I will post when SDV adapters are installed and how it goes with the install. Then I will let the Tivos run for about a month and then get rid of the last 8300HD box.

Hope this helps,
BigBearf
BigBearf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #27
macd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by szurlo View Post
Interesting. I get ESPNHD occasionally. Most days its just a gray screen.
TivoHD with a single M card.
I was wondering about that.
I guess if a channel is switched, and a neighbor is watching it, then we can receive it. Maybe that's a workaround until we receive our TAs. Call our neighbor and ask them to change the channel. :-)
Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #28
NIGHT STALKER

Tivo HD with single M card and I'm getting ESPNHD great. In fact its one of my
best looking channels! Is the rollout in Sumpter system wide or a test market
only?
NIGHT STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #29
Train_and_TV_fan

Time Warner response to Availability

I wrote Time Warner Customer Service on 2/3/09 about the availability of SDV Tuning Adapters. A representative of Time Warner Cable, Carolinas Region responded on 2/4/09.

They apologized for the delay but did not have an availability schedule. They expected to get one in the “coming weeks.”

I appreciated the prompt response but am upset that more and more channels are becoming unavailable with my HD TiVo.

Raleigh NC
Train_and_TV_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #30
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train_and_TV_fan View Post
I wrote Time Warner Customer Service on 2/3/09 about the availability of SDV Tuning Adapters. A representative of Time Warner Cable, Carolinas Region responded on 2/4/09.

They apologized for the delay but did not have an availability schedule. They expected to get one in the “coming weeks.”

I appreciated the prompt response but am upset that more and more channels are becoming unavailable with my HD TiVo.

Raleigh NC
Doubletalk from CSR's. They have them now and they are working perfectly. The rollout should begin very soon.