TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
Joules1111
Not Drawful

"True Beauty" - anyone else watching?

We watched this new reality show last night. I could not believe that Hadiyyah-lah didn't help the coffee guy with the door.

I'm liking it so far, but worried that it will devolve into a "let's make fun of the pretty people" show.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I recorded it, because I loved Beauty and the Geek and I think this is supposed to be a similar show, but I haven't watched it yet, and not sure when I will.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm watching from a "take these people down a notch from believing they are God's gift" standpoint, but don't know how long I'll be watching. Aside from that aspect, I can't see myself getting too interested.

Kind of like Amercian Idol - the first audition rounds are fun to watch from the trainwreck perspective ("Let my people goooooo" anyone? ), but at least there's something worth watching later on. If TB doesn't have much more to offer, I'll probably quit watching at some point.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
hanumang
Invisible Artist

Not sure how similar it's supposed to be to Beauty and the Geek (which I agree was a good show).

This doesn't seem nearly as sweet, for lack of a better word. I had to turn it off once Hadiyyah-lah stated she might be the best-looking person in the country. Not that I expected humility from the contestants - they think they're in a 'who's most beautiful?' contest, from what I understand - but the tone of that comment made me realize that this probably wasn't going to be my cup of tea. And that was like the first 5 minutes of the show...
Old 01-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Ashton Kutcher is invovled in this. But that's where the similarities end. It was pretty awful. Deleted the SP.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Aw, crap. Iwasgoing to Tivo this and I forgot.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
Aw, crap. Iwasgoing to Tivo this and I forgot.
I think ABC is re-airing it this Saturday night. At least they are in my market.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
timr_42

I recorded it, if it is as bad as I have heard, might not watch and just delete. I'll wait until the weekend and see if I get around to it.
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #9
Tracy
Truly

Okay, there is one blonde girl on the show.. (don't want to say too much to spoil anything) has the worst makeup I have seen on TV in a long time. It was driving me crazy. I don't think any of them are all that great looking.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
Joules1111
Not Drawful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Okay, there is one blonde girl on the show.. (don't want to say too much to spoil anything) has the worst makeup I have seen on TV in a long time. It was driving me crazy. I don't think any of them are all that great looking.
If it's the one I am thinking of, she looks like a Pamela Anderson drag queen.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joules1111 View Post
If it's the one I am thinking of, she looks like a Pamela Anderson drag queen.
Funny, my wife said she's a Pamela Anderson wannabe!
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #12
UTV2TiVo

Quote:
I don't think any of them are all that great looking.
I agree. In my opinion the best looking woman on the show, by far, is the host, Vanessa Minillo.
UTV2TiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #13
Alfer
WOOSAH!

DVR'd but not watched yet.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
justapixel
Domestic Extremist

I watched it. You can already kind of tell who is going to be nice and who isn't. The "older" blonde guy will be, for sure, as well as the black guy. They are my early picks to win.

That measuring thing they did to determine beauty was kind of bogus though, I agreed with the guy who said it was. And yes, I've read all the studies that show that symmetry is a big part of being considered beautiful, but it doesn't take into account personality and expression. There are lots of asymmetrical people who are considered gorgeous - Simon Baker for one.

I think the woman with the short hair is the most beautiful but it remains to be seen if she's nice or not.

I wish they would disqualify everybody with fake boobs, botox and plumped lips. It's not The Swan, they should have natural beauty.

I also couldn't believe that woman wouldn't help the guy with the coffee. That's just cold, she deserved to go for that.

Interesting concept - cheap execution - we'll see.

Thank you to my TCF friends for your help in winning the contest and your support of my son's education. You are all amazing people, and I adore you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
justapixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
lucyandrez

I've never enjoyed watching reality show, but I watched the first show of "True Beauty" and I like it. Vanessa Minillo looked great there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lucyandrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
I don't think any of them are all that great looking.
Like someone else said, the host is hotter than any of them. But I think a couple of them are pretty.. (ironically?) the "plainer" looking ones. The only one that sticks out at the moment is the woman that said something like she looked both masculine and feminine.. But her haircut has got to change (that's what made her look uhh, like a fan of Ellen Degeneres).

I probably wouldn't watch this show in realtime, but at 1.5x with sound, it was fairly entertaining. May lose entertainment value after a few more.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #17
newsposter
Poster of News

usually when i set out to watch something, follow through until the end. (my own worst enemy would be an example)

but after 15 minutes, this S/L was dumped. I cant stand artificial people and prefer to live in the world where there cant possibly be people this superficial. I certainly dont hang around any as it that would drive me nuts. Plus just from the brief time i watched this show, some of their faces are NOT model material. So how the heck can you say you are beautiful

and when the one blonde smiled, i thought she just came from the dentist because her mouth moved in such a weird manner. but i guess that's her 'beautiful' smile

Also, anyone that needs that much makeup on to look good, doesnt look good. Take it off and let me see.

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #18
TiVoCrastinator
I'll watch it later.

I'm loving this show more and more with each week. Anyone else still watching ?
TiVoCrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote