TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Would you like to see this "Coming Soon" feature added to TiVo Search?
Yes 14 93.33%
No 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
lawencelove

Ability to schedule recordings of shows that are "Coming Soon"

Something that I've always wanted is something akin to "Wishlists", but a bit different. I'd originally thought I'd put them in some sort of "Coming Soon" section of the menu. Basically, the TiVo staff would go ahead and assemble some predefined programs that are due to be aired soon, but not quite within the 2 week programming window, and make them available to be set for recording.

Case in point, I'm an avid fan of the CBS reality show Survivor. Every season, set a Season Pass for this show, but since it has a new name every year (eg Survivor: Gabon, Survivor: Fiji, etc). The upcoming 13th season, which starts 2/12 (as of this posting, that's outside of the 2-week window of the programming guide), is called Survivor: Tocatins. I suppose I could set a Wishlist to record all programs where "SURVIVOR" appears in the title, but since "SURVIVOR" is not that unique of a word, who knows what things it might record. I could also make the wishlist more specific and punch in "SURVIVOR TOCATINS", but that's too much work. I could also set it to record based on the date and time, but that's not the point. We're trying to make improvements, not work the system.

In any event, this is but just one example. What about recording the 2009 NBA All-Star Game? The 2009 NFL Pro Bowl? The 2009 Academy Awards? In the past, I've set up Wishlists for things like this, but it's a pain setting up Wishlists for one-time use purposes. And I hate having 30 wishlists "laying around".

It would be great if I could just punch in the title and have those programs come up with the ability to record them. Maybe they won't have the full functionalities such as "View upcoming episodes", but at least I'd be able to set it to record a single episode if it's a one-time thing (such as The Super Bowl), or set a Season Pass. And perhaps the fine people at TiVo might even fill in some of the pertinent/basic information like date, time, channel, cast, etc.

So how do these programs get into their database if they're more than 2 weeks out? Their team would enter them. Surely, they wouldn't enter EVERY upcoming show, but perhaps there's a short list of "top 20 upcoming programs" that could be updated every month. I'm sure they're privy to knowing what's around the bend and what shows people are excited about. When the Fall lineups are announced, this would be a key time to pick out the early favorites. Probably a pretty good way to make them some extra money too, although I don't know I'd want this to be a sponsored endeavor.

As I mentioned, this would probably be best in some sort of "Coming Soon" section, but maybe it could be seamlessly integrated into the "TiVo Search". So, continuing with my Survivor: Tocatins example, if I could just go in to TiVo Search, punch in "SURV", and the scroll down to "Survivor: Tocatins" and see that I could set a Season Pass for a show that isn't scheduled to air until later that month (or in theory, even longer), wouldn't that be great?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
bkdtv

Wishlists can be created to record all of the programs you mentioned. Wishlists are no different than Season Passes on your Season Pass Manager.

Some examples:

Survivor
Title Keyword: Survivor*
Tite Keyword: -I SHOULDN*T BE ALIVE
Category: Interests:Reality

Amazing Race
Title Keyword: Amazing Race*
Keyword: -Eleven Teams Of Two Travel The Globe
Keyword: -Reality Remix

Academy Awards
Title Keyword: Academy Awards
Category: <Not sure on this>

NBA All-Star Games
Title Keyword: NBA Basketball
Keyword: All Star Game
Category: Sports: Sports event

NFL Pro Bowls
Title Keyword: NFL Football
Keyword: Probowl
Category: Sports: Sports event

Each set to record first-run (new) episodes only.

These are not really "one use" wishlists because they will continue to work year after year.

I do agree it would make it easier on some users if TiVo would pre-list major events that are more than two weeks out, to allow more traditional recordings to be scheduled without the need for a wishlist.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
ciper

This feature would be neat but following in bkdtv's theme I have

Keyword: -chicago @ bears @ california category: HD:Sports:Football
Which gets every Berkeley game in HD. The minus qualifier is very powerful.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
lawencelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post

Amazing Race
Title Keyword: Amazing Race*
Keyword: -Eleven Teams Of Two Travel The Globe
Keyword: -Reality Remix
I appreciate your input, but I do know how to enter Wishlists. I guess I just gave poor examples of how this "Coming Soon" feature could be useful. But looking at your "Amazing Race" example, you've helped show why Wishlists, though helpful, can be annoying/cumbersome.

Here's another example. Have you heard about Quentin Tarantino's new TV series that's coming to HBO this Fall, "Fox Force Five", starring Uma Thurman? Since it's not coming out until September, I can't set my TiVo to record, though I could add a Wishlist, but this would be PERFECT for the Coming Soon section (which could be flawlessly integrated into the TiVo Search). With all the hype which has surrounded this series, I'm sure I'm not the only one eager to get this show added to as a Season Pass ASAP!

Okay, this isn't a real show, but you get the point. But the fact is, there will be a handful of great new shows coming out this fall. Are we supposed to create Wishlists for all of them? Or do we have to keep waiting until they finally show up in our 2-week window of programming? If there was a "Coming Soon" section (perhaps in the "Showcase" section), you could look through all the hot new shows and add Season Passes for as many as of these new shows as you wanted, quickly and easily, with just a few clicks. And if they're in the system, they'd be accessed just as easily through TiVo Search. Plus, I'd much rather have things record through a Season Pass than through a Wishlist.

Just sayin'.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
nrc
Cracker Soul

This has been mentioned a couple of times. There are really two parts. First, we should have the option to search not just programs that are airing soon and available for rent, but an entire catalog of TV programs and movies. Second, when we locate a program in that database we should be able to automatically create a wish list that matches just exactly that program.

Perfect example from this evening. My wife and I were trying to recall the "Wings" episode where Antonio (Tony Shalhoub) recites his poem, "Waiting for a Fare". We found it in the episode guide for Wings, but there's no quick way to create a Wish List to record just that episode if it should happen to air. Yes, you could manually create something, but trying to remember information from an episode guide entry to enter in a Wish List is more trouble than most people will bother with for a one shot recording.

The episode guides are a big tease that leaves you wanting more. If one episode of Wings is airing you get info on every episode ever. If not, you get nothing.

Not entirely square
Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawencelove View Post
Here's another example. Have you heard about Quentin Tarantino's new TV series that's coming to HBO this Fall, "Fox Force Five", starring Uma Thurman? Since it's not coming out until September, I can't set my TiVo to record, though I could add a Wishlist, but this would be PERFECT for the Coming Soon section (which could be flawlessly integrated into the TiVo Search). With all the hype which has surrounded this series, I'm sure I'm not the only one eager to get this show added to as a Season Pass ASAP!
I understand what you mean, I just don't mind how I handle it now. Yes, it would be nice to have a simpler way to set up for something that isn't in the guide data, but I'm not too put off.

For example, I saw a preview for a new series coming out that will have Nathan Fillion in it. Don't even remember what it's called, but it's not out until March, I think. I jumped to the Wishlists, and created an autorecord actor wishlist for Nathan Fillion. When that finally appears in the data, I won't miss it, and I can select it and create a Season Pass later.

The only other way is that you have to get TiVo or someone to create another guide database and maintain that. I just don't see that happening.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
Old 01-29-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
but there's no quick way to create a Wish List to record just that episode if it should happen to air. Yes, you could manually create something, but trying to remember information from an episode guide entry to enter in a Wish List is more trouble than most people will bother with for a one shot recording.
A keyboard would help...