TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
ra99gt

Frozen and rebooting since TiVo search was added

My Series 3 has been locking up and rebooting since TiVo Search has been added to my box. For 2 days now it's been freezing up then rebooting about every 30 minutes to an hour. I tried clearing and deleting everything, then it worked fine for about another hour, then rebooted, and I got a message telling me that TiVo Search was available on my box. Since then it has been freezing and rebooting again.

Now, my hard drive could have gone bad, but it was working fine on Monday, then TiVo Search became available, and it hs been freezing and rebooting since then. Maybe it's a coincidence that my hard drive went bad at the same time TiVo Search became available?

Last edited by ra99gt : 01-29-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
EvilRift

Coincidence? I donít think so. TiVo is try to kill all their units one new feature at a time.

Actually it was most likely just bad timing. Hopefully you can use it as an excuse to update to a larger drive.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
ra99gt

I thought the hard drive might be going. It'll be 2 years old this month! At least Weakness has a special today of $250 for a 1TB replacement kit I just hope everything works again after installing the new drive.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
ra99gt

TiVo support also just emailed me back and said it's most likely hard drive failure. They offered an exchange too.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #5
bostlaw

If it's a coincidence, count me among the coincidental victims. Same issue. I know that I'm not supposed to complain and that software updates sometimes expose faulty segments of the hard drive...And yet, it's Thursday night...no TiVo means no cable...it seems to me that there isn't sufficient time to remedy that problem before Sunday...Oh, is it Super Bowl Sunday this weekend??? Ahhh, another damn coincidence. Oh, and did I mention that the one year warranty expired last week??? Damn, I'm gonna have to go buy me a lottery ticket...I'm on a damn coincidental roll...

But, I shall NOT complain...I'll just seethe in silence...
Roamio Pro
Premiere w/1.5 tb drive
TiVo HD w/750 gb drive
4 Minis
2 Series 2...
Old 01-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostlaw View Post
If it's a coincidence, count me among the coincidental victims. Same issue. I know that I'm not supposed to complain and that software updates sometimes expose faulty segments of the hard drive...
Did you box just start having trouble this week? If so, really unlikely to be related to the "feature update," as a feature update is tivo-speak for a new server-based HME application, not a new software download to your box. You've actually had this feature available since 1/7, even if you just got a message about it this week.

Now, it's always possible that if you used the beta of tivo search it could cause a problem with your box, but since it's an hme app, most of what it's doing is displaying data from a server, so less likely that it could cause your box to die.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
bostlaw

It could very well be a coincidence...a very untimely coincidence though... I had reboot issues for a day or two a few months back, but everything was fine again until this week...I'll likely replace the drive in any event...
Roamio Pro
Premiere w/1.5 tb drive
TiVo HD w/750 gb drive
4 Minis
2 Series 2...