TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
rric31

Time Warner Maine

Anyone out there using Time Warner Maine and TIVO HD? I want to come back to the TIVO world but all of the horror stories with Time Warner and Cable Cards seem like a daunting task.
Friend of mine told me he just purchased a TIVO HD and does not use cable cards and he is getting everything just fine, he has no premium channels and also goes through Comcast.

TIVO HD and Time Warner Maine folks out there??

Rich in Maine
rric31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
NetOgre
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Hey there Rich. There are several of us lurking about.

I switched back to Time Warner several months ago due to increasing frustration with DirecTV (lack of support for Tivo, customer service issues, etc). I purchased a Series 3 HD and a Tivo HD, and had cable cards installed in both. The Time Warner folks in Maine have been very responsive. Other than a bit of a soft push to use their DVR when I switched, they came out and installed the cable cards, I have had no problems since.

Been waiting for the Tuning Adapter to watch the SDV channels, and was happy to receive a call last week that it was shipping out via UPS (not arrived as of today) and I am hoping to be fully operational by the end of this week.

So far my experience has been positive, and much better than DirecTV. All though I have heard various complaints about other Time Warner regions, I have not heard any about Maine (knock on wood).

Best of luck and happy to share tivo stories along the way.

Craig
NetOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
BL

The "horror stories" are way overblown. In 2 1/2 years with my S3 I have had a couple of small issues that were quickly remedied, and the last one happened well over a year ago. TW has generally been cooperative.

The S3 is far superior to the TW DVR and is well worth the few small glitches that may arise once in a while.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
rric31

Craig,
Tivo HD is on the way. I may be asking some questions soon enough. Myself and my family are looking forward to it, remember it being so easy to use and no frustration of shows not recording like our current cable box.
Hope things go smoothly. Any advise for a returning member? This new SDV card??
Old 02-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
rric31

Bill,
I will pose the same question and comment that I did with Craig.
Tivo HD is on the way. I may be asking some questions soon enough. Myself and my family are looking forward to it, remember it being so easy to use and no frustration of shows not recording like our current cable box.
Hope things go smoothly. Any advise for a returning member? This new SDV card??

Rich in Maine
Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
NetOgre
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Rich,

Happy to help out. Feel free to contact me via private message as well.

As far as advice, the only thing to concern yourself with is getting a Tuning Adapter to handle the SDV channels. I've had mine for a couple of weeks (though have started to experience some problems).

Good luck

Craig
NetOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
BL

I have been using an S3, which is a little different than an HD, but very similar.

First, when you get the cable cards installed, do a run through of all the channels you believe you are supposed to get, so if some are missing, they can be "authorized." Check TW web site for stations you won't get with a cable card. Totally independent of the SDV issue is the fact that some channels require separate authorization that you would not expect, like (I think) turner classic movies, and the tech can get them authorized at the time of the install.

Secondly, make sure you have sufficient signal strength running to the box. Since it has two tuners, it has to have enough for both, and if not, may not get some channels well. Time warner loves to take any third party devices (like monster or magic splitters) out of the line, so be ready for that.

Third, once in a great while something may not record because the channel is not received. I honestly can't remember the last time that happened--it was probably over a year--but if it does, before you try calling Tech support, just reboot it, as it cures most, if not all problems.

Fourth, if you call tech support at TW, try to get to a level 3 tech as quickly as possible as the lower level techs know little, if anything, about cable cards.

As to the SDV box (tuning resolver) I got mine, but schedule conflicts have kept me from hooking it up yet.
My suggestion is to get the HD working for at least a few days before messing with that. Look at the TW web site and it has a list of channels that you won't get with a cable card without the resolver. Often it is the West version of things like HBO or Showtime, along with a number of HD channels. Without the SDV box, I get all the key stations I care about, namely locals in HD, NESN, HBO and Showtime (among others).

I love the S3 and have it recording season passes to a bunch of HD shows with no problems.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
rric31

Craig,

I saw on one of your posts that you now have a Tuner Adapter. I just got my cable card installed today and one thing I didn't realize was that I would lose so many HD channels. Now I really want the Tuner Adapter. I signed up on Time Warners website for the adapter, is this how you obtained yours? Or, did you call Time Warner and hound them until they sent you one. LOL
Rich
Old 02-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
um1990
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by rric31 View Post
Craig,

I saw on one of your posts that you now have a Tuner Adapter. I just got my cable card installed today and one thing I didn't realize was that I would lose so many HD channels. Now I really want the Tuner Adapter. I signed up on Time Warners website for the adapter, is this how you obtained yours? Or, did you call Time Warner and hound them until they sent you one. LOL
Rich
I agree with the others here that TWMaine has actually been quite good re: cable cards... My only gripe would be the Truck Roll to get one installed, but it is what it is...

A number of folks have the adapters now... I got mine by incessantly calling until they gave in I would call them and ask - They have a couple 3rd level folks who are very helpful.

There is another thread with more TA/Portland Info:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=413467
um1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #10
akakii

I waited until I had my tuning adapter in hand before ordering my new HD TiVo. I didn't want to deal with the frustration of losing most of my HD channels by not having the SDV box.

Installation of the Cable Cards and TA was easy, though the tech had never done it before and I ended up guiding him through it. Unfortunately - and you'll read this in the other threads on the topic - this whole thing is new enough to them that they often forget some of the steps. It was only after the guy left that I realized I had some but not all of my channels. It took a call - and, yes, you do need to get to Level 3 to find someone with any knowledge on the subject - and they discovered that they neglected to change a few settings on the head end. Now all is well. I've got my TiVo back after suffering with the lousy SA DVR.
akakii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #11
rric31

I have seen numerous people talk about level 3 technicians are the ones you want to get hold of. Might sound like a stupid question, but how do I get to the point on the phone that a level 3 person is the one I am talking with?
I do feel pretty bummed that I am not receiving most of my HD channels so at this point TIVO is just a bit bittersweet. I have had it in the past so I know once this gets worked out, I will be one happy camper.

rich