TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
jhimmel

New search - results not reliable?

The new TiVo Search does not find anything for Freida Pinto. However, a Wishlist search on Freida Pinto shows an upcoming Ellen DeGeneres show.
It seems the new search may not be reliable yet.

Jim H.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
richsadams

Good catch.

Although it's gotten a bit off track, you should probably post your findings on the "official" Search Feedback Beta Forum thread where TiVo folks are sure to see it.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Good catch.

Although it's gotten a bit off track, you should probably post your findings on the "official" Search Feedback Beta Forum thread where TiVo folks are sure to see it.
Actually, the thread you've linked to was only intended as a 'welcome to the new forum' thread, not a summary of all feedback.

Breaking feedback on various topics into different threads (and different conversations) actually would be more useful than one giant thread o' feedback. We have an entire forum area here to play with.

As far as the OP's point, I agree it's a good catch. Normally TiVoDataGuy would jump in here, because it has the appearance of a data issue. But he's out of the office at the moment. So...can you provide a bit more detail? It would be especially helpful for him to know when he returns who your cable provider is & zip code, the date and time that you saw this (I know, today), and when the episode it should have found is broadcast. Thanks!

Pony
Old 01-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony View Post
Actually, the thread you've linked to was only intended as a 'welcome to the new forum' thread, not a summary of all feedback.

Breaking feedback on various topics into different threads (and different conversations) actually would be more useful than one giant thread o' feedback. We have an entire forum area here to play with.
Ah, good to know.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
ahipsher
Tivo Fan

Note "Enterprise" show Data incorrect

For the search "Enterprise", a Star Trek TV series, the thumbnail is clearly a picture from the show however the description is listed as a Documentary and all the episodes listed have nothing to do with this show. Also when searching Scott Bakula it did not show he was in this show and he had the starring role. Maybe IMDB can help with the show info.

Great feature overall though!!! Keep it coming.

Aaron
Old 01-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
morac
Cat God

My provider: Comcast Cable of Burlington
Zip: 08075

I decided to look at programs I have Season Passes for last night (1/7/09 around 11:45 PM EST). A few of them had missing results. What's weird is that everything shows up fine on Swivel Search, so it's only an issue with TiVo Search.

Here's two examples:

1. I searched for "24" which airs this Sunday and Monday. In the upcoming episodes it found the episodes on the over the air antenna channel 29-1 (Fox HD out of Philly), but did not display them for either cable channel 24 (Fox SD) or 234 (cable transmitted version of 29-1). Not only that, but it said I had a Season Pass on channel 29-1, when I actually have it on 234.

2. I searched for "Knight Rider" and no upcoming episodes were listed, though one airs next week on NBC (there are 3 NBC channels in my lineup including antenna). It also said I did not have a season pass for the show when I do, on channel 232.

So there seems to be two issues here:

1. Search is missing results, either entirely or for certain channels.

2. Displayed Season Passes appear to be tied to upcoming episodes. So if you have a season pass for a show, but there are no upcoming episodes, no season pass will be displayed. If there are upcoming episodes, but not on the S.P. channel, then the S.P. will display as being on the channel with upcoming episodes.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
jimpmc

Superstars of Dance not showing HD channels

Time of occurrence: Saturday 1/10/09 4PM ET
Provider: Cablevision of Woodbury, Zip 11579

I've encountered a similar issue, whereby the search results from TiVo Search were not showing any upcoming showings on the HD channels for Superstars of Dance (it is showing on Bravo, Bravo HD, NBC, and NBC HD). For TiVo search upcoming results, it only shows the Bravo and NBC listings.

However, the TiVo guide data and find programs lists the HD listings, as does Swivel Search results done at the same time as TiVo Search.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
jhimmel

Yes, I have encountered too many instances of incomplete results. There seems to be a problem with how the app is searching out the results.

However, I see the thing has become more responsive, and will be looking forward to using it once it can be trusted to give complete results.

Jim H.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
TiVoJerryG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhimmel View Post
The new TiVo Search does not find anything for Freida Pinto. However, a Wishlist search on Freida Pinto shows an upcoming Ellen DeGeneres show.
It seems the new search may not be reliable yet.

Jim H.
I agree with TiVoPony that it was a good catch! While first glance seemed like the problem was a data issue, it was a more subtle bug which will be fixed in an upcoming release.

In this case, TiVo Search was tripped up because Freida Pinto's only upcoming appearance was as a "Guest Star." If she had a non-guest star appearance, she would have shown up in the results.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
TiVoJerryG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhimmel View Post
Yes, I have encountered too many instances of incomplete results. There seems to be a problem with how the app is searching out the results.
Please give us as many examples as you can. We want to figure out if it's a data issue, a software issue, or both, and get it fixed. With the huge amount of data we have, you're bound to search for something that no one else has looked for.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
ufo4sale

I to have had instances when a show is playing right now and it not showing up in the TiVo search. Next time it happens I'll let you know.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #12
TiVoJerryG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale View Post
I to have had instances when a show is playing right now and it not showing up in the TiVo search. Next time it happens I'll let you know.
I think we found the cause of this one today. I haven't verified the fix is working, but I do expect this should be fixed for the next release.

Since this one is time dependent, we probably wouldn't be able to react quickly enough if you posted a specific example (even though, I'll usually ask for specific examples).
Old 01-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
TiVoJerryG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahipsher View Post
For the search "Enterprise", a Star Trek TV series, the thumbnail is clearly a picture from the show however the description is listed as a Documentary and all the episodes listed have nothing to do with this show. Also when searching Scott Bakula it did not show he was in this show and he had the starring role.
Not to steal TiVoDataGuy's thunder, but this is a data issue. The problem is "Enterprise" is not the title of the series you're looking for, but "Star Trek: Enterprise" is.

On my system, once I enter "Enterp" I see the entry for "Star Trek: Enterprise" show up. It takes a bunch of characters, but, pretty cool that TiVo Search can find that series, even when you don't know the exact name of the series.

The data issue is that some episodes from "Star Trek: Enterprise" were improperly mixed in with "Enterprise." We're working on cleaning that one up.