TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
bradg33

Audio Faucet

I've been digging and digging for awhile trying to find the perfect server to feed music to my TiVo. I was unimpressed with the basic TiVo desktop, and I could never make PyTivo push Music (Works GREAT for video though). Tonight I came across Audio Faucet. It doesn't seem like it's gotten a ton of play on here, so I thought I'd let others know that it's pretty amazing. It's exactly what I was looking for. It publishes my iTunes playlists, allows for a shuffle of my entire library, shows album art, and has a great interface that is very, very fast. Ran into a problem installing it in Windows XP, but it was a relatively easy fix. I just had to download a DLL that XP didn't have (MSVCR71.DLL) and stick it in the Windows/System32 folder. Now it works like a freaking charm.
bradg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
NA9D

Location for website or download? Is it multi-platform?
NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Correction: I'm replacing what I originally typed, since I went back and had a look again. Audio Faucet works for me right now on Mac OS X - however its default settings are a bit wonky. By default it plays the music on your computer - you have to change a setting to play it on the Tivo. This is just silly, since you're controlling it on the Tivo you'd expect it to play there right?

The real deal-breaker for me, though, is it only plays MP3 encoded files. Given that the default for iTunes is AAC, this is of limited utility. That's too bad since it's nice to have the cover art.

Tivo Desktop doesn't display cover art; but it will play AAC as well as MP3 if you've got lame installed - see this thread.

Last edited by westside_guy : 01-25-2009 at 09:27 PM.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
slude

The developer (used to?) hang out over in the HME Developers Corner, but doesn't seem to have had time to release the version 2.0:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariKC View Post
Howdy folks. I wanted to give a quick update.

As i've said quite a bit for the past year, it's not really a matter of motivation, it's more a matter of time. I work for a startup for my full time job which has me out on the road more often then not. And John has been pretty swamped at work as well this year while adjusting to a new role at his employer.

We have been working quite a bit on AF in our spare time and have at this point re-written just about every bit of code that holds it together. But we both decided that we won't release AF 2.0 until we feel it is ready and we've had some time to document it a bit to keep the support to a minimum. The version that is out there, while admittedly old, does work well for a majority of users. So it's more a matter of time to finish it off then it is motivation to finish.

slude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
jcthorne

[quote=westside_guy;7020987
The real deal-breaker for me, though, is it only plays MP3 encoded files. Given that the default for iTunes is AAC, this is of limited utility. That's too bad since it's nice to have the cover art.

[/QUOTE]

I have never quite understood this love affair with AAC audio files. If the software you wish to use supports MP3, just batch convert the files to MP3 with tags and then just about anything will play them. And without all the DRM crap. MP3 is the defacto standard for digital stored music. I own the music, I paid for it. I'll use it in the format that works best for me

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I have never quite understood this love affair with AAC audio files. If the software you wish to use supports MP3, just batch convert the files to MP3 with tags and then just about anything will play them. And without all the DRM crap. MP3 is the defacto standard for digital stored music. I own the music, I paid for it. I'll use it in the format that works best for me
AAC does offer higher quality at the same size (or smaller files at the same perceived quality), but as you already mentioned, it's not well-supported outside of the Apple-verse. AAC doesn't have DRM; Apple wraps (or used to wrap) the audio you would purchase from them in DRM, but that's something Apple is doing to the file after the audio has been encoded to AAC standards.

Transcoding will introduce audio degradation, however, if you start from a lossy codec like AAC. I'm not opposed to doing in-line transcoding, like the way TiVo Desktop for Mac will, using LAME to encode to mp3 on-the-fly, since MP3 is the only thing a tivo can accept. But, I wouldn't personally transcode something from another lossy format to mp3 for permanent storage.

The really serious digital audiophiles use a lossless format like FLAC or Apple Lossless, and thus can transcode that from the original bits to any format they want, but at the cost of much larger files to store.

Last edited by gonzotek : 01-28-2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: /edit: LAME, not ffmpeg
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
windracer
joined the 10k club

I see multiple requests for a Linux version, but nothing ever happened which explains why I never tried it.

I just took a look at the Windows version, to see if I could get it to run through Galleon on Linux, but it apparently uses the registry to store its settings so that won't work. Maybe the OS X version would be closer, but right now I'm happy with Galleon's iTunes app so I guess there's no need for me to switch from one old program to another.

Sad how both Galleon and AF were TiVo award-winning apps and have really died on the vine since.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
Location for website or download? Is it multi-platform?
http://www.digitaldroplet.net/digitaldroplet/Home.html

It is a Java program that requires JVM 1.4 or higher. If you are thinking what I presume you are, it might be gotten to run on the LSLive.
CuriousMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
AAC is just as open as MP3 (and neither is truly open!) - it's just a newer, better format. My AAC files that've been ripped from my own CDs have no DRM on them. Heck, as of a couple weeks ago all the AAC files I'd bought from iTunes no longer have DRM on them! AAC has nothing to do with DRM. It's even possible to wrap an MP3 with DRM for that matter.

MP3 has been around a long time, and is the most compatible format - but in terms of quality it's showing its age. AAC is not just limited to Apple devices either, which makes sense given that it's not an Apple invention - even the Zune can play an AAC file right out of the box. There are several additional non-Apple players that'll handle AAC too.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
AAC is just as open as MP3 (and neither is truly open!) - it's just a newer, better format. My AAC files that've been ripped from my own CDs have no DRM on them. Heck, as of a couple weeks ago all the AAC files I'd bought from iTunes no longer have DRM on them! AAC has nothing to do with DRM. It's even possible to wrap an MP3 with DRM for that matter.

MP3 has been around a long time, and is the most compatible format - but in terms of quality it's showing its age. AAC is not just limited to Apple devices either, which makes sense given that it's not an Apple invention - even the Zune can play an AAC file right out of the box. There are several additional non-Apple players that'll handle AAC too.
That's my point. There ARE several players that handle AAC files just fine. They ALL handle MP3 and in this day of $77 a terabyte storage, the difference in file size for comparable quality between the two is pennies even for large collections. If one wanted to use AF, having your files in MP3 is easier than rewriting AF. I do hope the author finds the time to re-continue develpment of AF and even add AAC support so more folks will use it.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
JohnBrowning

Audio Faucet was an application with a lot of potential that was never really finished by the author.
JohnBrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
That's my point. There ARE several players that handle AAC files just fine. They ALL handle MP3 and in this day of $77 a terabyte storage, the difference in file size for comparable quality between the two is pennies even for large collections. If one wanted to use AF, having your files in MP3 is easier than rewriting AF. I do hope the author finds the time to re-continue develpment of AF and even add AAC support so more folks will use it.
Well, speaking as someone whose AAC music collection as-is just barely fits on his iPod right now...

Sorry I couldn't resist that - I understand our viewpoints are just different on this subject. I'm willing to admit yours is as valid as mine.

I did like AF's visual style, plus having the cover art show up on the TV was a nice touch. Playing music through the TV isn't something I do everyday - but it was great as an additional way of playing Christmas music for the household this past December. Our TV has decent speakers, and what with all the computers and iPods we have, the old "family stereo" with its big (old) speakers isn't even in the main part of our house because we never use it anymore. AAC (or MP3) is lossy, I understand that - but at a decent bitrate they're certainly "good enough" for most of my listening anyway.