TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
James2k

Question Tivo and Cablevision IO on Demand

Hi Everyone:

I'm currently a Cablevision customer, and despite all of the previous threads I haven't been able to figure out the answer to the following question.

With the newer Tivo HD models that support cablecards, will I be able to browse the On Demand Chanels that IO has? I understand that I can record items with Tivo to effectively make things "On Demand" but I would really like to use some of the On Demand stations. Is that possible when swapping out my cable box for a Tivo?

Thanks!
James2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
mack1951

No. Cablecards are a one way device. To do any on demand or SDV you need two way communication. If Cablevision ever gets off the dime and makes the USB adapters available it wil solve the SDV problem but not the on demand or pay per view.
mack1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
bluelinex

No. You will have to split the in comming signal & pay for a cable box. I have a TIVO & a Time Warner DVR on my main TV it comes to about an extra 15.95 a month. For just a regular cable box it's about 7.95 but with the extra DVR a have 4 tuners & it's also a back up for the TIVO. It's up to you.
bluelinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
James2k

Arrow

Too bad...In some ways this is a bit of a dealbreaker, because I like to watch on Demand stations and occasionally order PPVs. The way I was trying to justify a Tivo was because of the savings I would get from not having to rent a cable box or pay the extra $10\month DVR fee.

Unfortunately, without the ability to ditch the On Demand cable box (which is very slow and unresponsive at times), I'm not sure if the Tivo makes sense, even with the ability to watch Netflix...
James2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

You can also rent from Amazon, and they have about 3x the titles that Netflix has.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
TolloNodre
En Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2k View Post
Too bad...In some ways this is a bit of a dealbreaker, because I like to watch on Demand stations and occasionally order PPVs. The way I was trying to justify a Tivo was because of the savings I would get from not having to rent a cable box or pay the extra $10\month DVR fee.

Unfortunately, without the ability to ditch the On Demand cable box (which is very slow and unresponsive at times), I'm not sure if the Tivo makes sense, even with the ability to watch Netflix...
I don't know how it is with IO cable, but many systems will give you one 'free' box with a cablecard rental just so they can get the revenue for PPV. Not a DVR mind you, but that slow, cheap box you complained about.

So you could have the best of both worlds. It's worth at least a phone call.
TolloNodre is offline   Reply With Quote