TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
FrankBella

Lightbulb TiVo Groups or Folders

I like the way TiVo organizes some of my recordings in the Now Playing list into groups.

Id like to see this feature expanded so that I can make my own groups (e.g.: Horror Movies, Save for wife, etc)

This would be especially useful now that I added a 500GB DVR expander Ive got room for hundreds of hours of movies . Whattya think??
FrankBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Personally, I think that'd be nice. A common tag on computer video containers (.mkv, .vob, etc) is "Album"; if this tag is set on videos downloaded to the PS3, it can organize them in folders according to album name. If there is no album tag when you download, PS3 sets one, using the current date and you can edit it to whatever you want. Maybe TiVo could have an editable "Album" field on recordings.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
johnny99
TivoHD

Yes, folders would be a nice feature. Or tags like in gmail.
johnny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBella View Post
I like the way TiVo organizes some of my recordings in the Now Playing list into groups.

Id like to see this feature expanded so that I can make my own groups (e.g.: Horror Movies, Save for wife, etc)

This would be especially useful now that I added a 500GB DVR expander Ive got room for hundreds of hours of movies . Whattya think??
Excellent idea!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
burnside

To add to that, I'd like to have subgroups. So for my sci-fi programs I would show from the Now Playing List:

NPL -> SciFi Shows -> Star Trek Enterprise -> Episode #24

Last edited by burnside : 02-13-2009 at 11:08 AM.
burnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
TooMuchTime

I have always wondered why Tivo doesn't have user-created folders. An example I have is that I record the NFL Films Superbowl videos. However, they are named "Superbowl XV" or Superbowl XVI." If they were named "Superbowl: XV" then Tivo would create a separate folder for them. Maybe that's a possible option, too. The ability to edit the name of the recording. Put a colon in the name and let Tivo create the folder.
TooMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
burnside

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchTime View Post
I have always wondered why Tivo doesn't have user-created folders. An example I have is that I record the NFL Films Superbowl videos. However, they are named "Superbowl XV" or Superbowl XVI." If they were named "Superbowl: XV" then Tivo would create a separate folder for them. Maybe that's a possible option, too. The ability to edit the name of the recording. Put a colon in the name and let Tivo create the folder.
I hear ya. I understand they want to make Tivos easy to use, but adding some advanced options would be nice. Organizing is something that would be a big hit with die hard tivo users!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
wdavew

Definitely a requirement

Very few of my recordings are HD, and I'm putting several short subjects onto the TivoHD, so I can easily put over 500 items on the now playing list.

One alternative would be to assign folder information by the TiVo Desktop that would be used when transferred.
wdavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
burnside

There are just too many situations where having User Defined groups/folders would come in handy. Please Tivo, let's get this feature rolling!
Old 02-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
lrhorer

This isn't exactly the first time this has been requested. In fact, I think we're up to six digits, now.

There is something of a work-around. One may transfer recordings to an external PC or server and use an application like Galleon or pyTiVo to create folders on the TiVo for the programs residing on the external device.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
burnside

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
This isn't exactly the first time this has been requested. In fact, I think we're up to six digits, now.

There is something of a work-around. One may transfer recordings to an external PC or server and use an application like Galleon or pyTiVo to create folders on the TiVo for the programs residing on the external device.
I heard of the pytivo work around, but even with that, you can only use folder names that have a series id and that are present in the guide data.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnside View Post
I heard of the pytivo work around, but even with that, you can only use folder names that have a series id and that are present in the guide data.
Well, it depends on what you mean, and not quite, in any case. Programs sitting on the pyTivo server will be arranged into whatever folders you like based strictly upon the folder structure on the server, and the name of the folder on the pyTivo server doesn't matter at all. Said folders will show up under the pyTivo share(s) in the NPL. It doesn't matter if the programs in question are a series, or not. For example, one of my pyTivo shares is just an alphabetical arrangement of folders and programs by title. I have all the Harry Potter films in one folder, all the Die Hard films in another, etc. These are not series in the way the Tivo thinks of a series, and when transferred to the Tivo, they will all simply show up as individual programs in the root of the NPL. The same, however, is true of a program which in fact is a part of a TV series if the TiVo does not recognize its series ID. Note this only affects programs after they have been transferred to the TiVo, not before. For myself, regardless of whether it is part of a series or not, I don't transfer a program to the TiVo unless I am going to watch it shortly, and then I will delete it immediately thereafter as a matter of course. Thus, whether the TiVo recognizes the program as part of a series or not is a fairly moot point. YMMV, of course, but I think most people who put programs on an external server will usually leave them there until they are anbout ready to watch them.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
burnside

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Well, it depends on what you mean, and not quite, in any case. Programs sitting on the pyTivo server will be arranged into whatever folders you like based strictly upon the folder structure on the server, and the name of the folder on the pyTivo server doesn't matter at all. Said folders will show up under the pyTivo share(s) in the NPL. It doesn't matter if the programs in question are a series, or not. For example, one of my pyTivo shares is just an alphabetical arrangement of folders and programs by title. I have all the Harry Potter films in one folder, all the Die Hard films in another, etc. These are not series in the way the Tivo thinks of a series, and when transferred to the Tivo, they will all simply show up as individual programs in the root of the NPL. The same, however, is true of a program which in fact is a part of a TV series if the TiVo does not recognize its series ID. Note this only affects programs after they have been transferred to the TiVo, not before. For myself, regardless of whether it is part of a series or not, I don't transfer a program to the TiVo unless I am going to watch it shortly, and then I will delete it immediately thereafter as a matter of course. Thus, whether the TiVo recognizes the program as part of a series or not is a fairly moot point. YMMV, of course, but I think most people who put programs on an external server will usually leave them there until they are anbout ready to watch them.
I store movies (home and dvd) on the tivo so I leave them on the tivo and don't delete them. That's why it would be nice if we could create our own foders/subfolders on the tivo.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #14
lrhorer

I believe we all agree it would be really nice to be able to actually create and manage folders on the TiVo. Galleon and pyTivo allow the user a limited work-around, not a complete solution,and certainly not a transparent one, but it's better than nothing.

As for leaving videos on the TiVos... well, the TiVo drives are way too small to make this practical for my purposes. At this point in time, the TiVo is limited to 2.2 TB.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #15
burnside

They'll get mp4 working sooner than later and that will allow more files as well.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #16
lrhorer

'Not really significantly. Typically, for no discernible loss in PQ, an MPEG-4 video is going to be between 1/2 to 2/3 as large as an MPEG-2 file of the same content. At best, one may expect perhaps a factor of four. That's still only 8T or so of equivalent MPEG-2 files. I've only been collecting videos for about a year, and I'm already beyond 8T. When I'm "done", I'll expect to have in excess of 30T of MPEG-4 files.

None of which is to say 2.2T or so won't meet your long term needs, but it doesn't even come close to my short term needs, let alone what will be required over the long haul.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #17
burnside

I can get a factor of 5 on my mp4 conversions, but I do see where you're getting at. If you have a very large library, then a Tivo will not handle that space requirement. For me, I have a medium sized library, but only about half of those movies I would want to watch at any given time.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #18
theviaumaster

Storage vs. Organization

For me, this really isn't a "storage" issue as much as an "organization" issue. We have a ton of shows, constantly being downloaded/recorded, watched, and deleted. As a home with kids of several ages and adults with varying tastes, it would just be nice to have a folder for each family member--a place where we could shunt all of our shows so we're not searching through 25 pages in the NPL when trying to find something to watch. Kids Zone does a pretty good job of sectioning off some of the content, but it starts to break down if you have kids from more than one age group. What drives me crazy about Kids Zone is that I still have to fight through all the kid's shows in the NPL. It's almost like we need a Parents Zone that doesn't display anything that's already in the Kids Zone. But I guess that's basically the family folders idea that I'm talking about.

I think the real trick would be coming up with a method of automatically moving the shows into the folders. If the process of organizing shows into folders was manual, it might not end up being any more convenient than what we're dealing with right now. Remember, the majority of our content is recorded, watched, and deleted within a day or two. There would have to be a way to tell the TiVo--probably in the Season Pass--that a specific show needs to go into a specific folder when recorded.

C'mon, TiVo, why isn't this working yet?!?
theviaumaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #19
burnside

Quote:
Originally Posted by theviaumaster View Post
For me, this really isn't a "storage" issue as much as an "organization" issue. We have a ton of shows, constantly being downloaded/recorded, watched, and deleted. As a home with kids of several ages and adults with varying tastes, it would just be nice to have a folder for each family member--a place where we could shunt all of our shows so we're not searching through 25 pages in the NPL when trying to find something to watch. Kids Zone does a pretty good job of sectioning off some of the content, but it starts to break down if you have kids from more than one age group. What drives me crazy about Kids Zone is that I still have to fight through all the kid's shows in the NPL. It's almost like we need a Parents Zone that doesn't display anything that's already in the Kids Zone. But I guess that's basically the family folders idea that I'm talking about.

I think the real trick would be coming up with a method of automatically moving the shows into the folders. If the process of organizing shows into folders was manual, it might not end up being any more convenient than what we're dealing with right now. Remember, the majority of our content is recorded, watched, and deleted within a day or two. There would have to be a way to tell the TiVo--probably in the Season Pass--that a specific show needs to go into a specific folder when recorded.

I totally agree. I was just thinking about this yesterday ironically. I'd love to have a folder for me, my wife, and my child. I just don't see why we can't create our own folders, name them, then tell tivo where to put season pass recordings or just manually move recordings to a folder. Let's get this going Tivo!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #20
Markell

Cool

Quote:
For me, this really isn't a "storage" issue as much as an "organization" issue....
Because, like everyone else, once they have our money, they don't care what we want.
Markell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #21
memo90061@sbcglo

Yeah I just transfered so many music videos to Tivo and it's hard going through the list.
memo90061@sbcglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #22
lrhorer

Quote:
For me, this really isn't a "storage" issue as much as an "organization" issue.
Yes, but the two are somewhat related. The need for folders goes pretty much hand in hand with more drive space, and the need for more drive space may eventually bump up against the TiVo's limitations. Again, I'm not in any way arguing against the desire to create and manage one's own directories on the Tivo. I would make some use of this myself if it were available.

Quote:
We have a ton of shows, constantly being downloaded/recorded, watched, and deleted. As a home with kids of several ages and adults with varying tastes, it would just be nice to have a folder for each family member--a place where we could shunt all of our shows so we're not searching through 25 pages in the NPL when trying to find something to watch.
Certainly! While there are tools in galleon (or even Tivo Desktop, if you must) to automate uploads to an external PC, and while these functions can be relegated to an external system, there is absolutely no question it would be much more convenient to handle many such things directly on the TiVo.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #23
DaJoos

+1

Gotta apologize up front - I'm posting not because I have anything new to offer, but this is my long-time number 1 feature request for Tivo, and I'm hoping if it gets mentioned often enough someone at Tivo Inc. may actually start working on it!

As others have mentioned in the past, I'm a former ReplayTV user, and the ability to group shows into categories (i.e. wife's shows, daughter's shows, etc) was a very nice feature. Now that my Tivo HD XL has over 100 shows (and counting) this 'very nice feature' is leaning more towards the necessity stage - could it be that tough? (C'mon Tivo - ReplayTV had it years ago!)
DaJoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #24
kika2000

+1

Sorry I'm not really saying anything new, but as a new user, this is one of the few places where Tivo falls horribly short of my old, crappy cable company dvr.

I couldn't make folders, but I could manually re-order the list of my recordings. The real function of this was to determine the order in which shows would be deleted from the drive, but I used it constantly to organize shows by season, episode and priority.

I find myself constantly changing my 'viewing' preferences to try to get the Now Playing List to make more sense - and it always feels like it's a mess.
kika2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #25
armstrda

Yes, this option would be awesome!
armstrda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #26
spocko
TiVo HD

I'll add another +1.

For a Tivo HD XL or any Tivo with a large DVR Expander, this would be a huge usability improvement.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #27
zarchon69

If your TiVo is on your home network and you have the desktop program, you can create folders and name them and then transfer shows from your pc back to those folders
zarchon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #28
DrLivingstone

To be clear, you need TiVo Desktop *Plus* to create folders... and it's licensed on a per-PC basis.
DrLivingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #29
SNJpage1

I think the solution is a better way to store the programs on your computer and then stream them to watch. This gives you more storage space, the ability to organise by folders and even set up pass word protected folders. Desktop plus needs to be improved.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:20 AM   #30
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLivingstone View Post
To be clear, you need TiVo Desktop *Plus* to create folders... and it's licensed on a per-PC basis.
Perhaps it is better to be accurate than clear. TD+ is NOT necessarily required to create folders. I do not recommend either TD or TD+. Both are terrible. Galleon and pyTiVo do a much better job.