TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: If Tivo could work on 1 feature, How important is cooperative scheduling?
Most important (if I could have one feature this year, this would be the one) 34 51.52%
Somewhat important (there are some other features that I would prefer, what are they?) 17 25.76%
Not important at all (this one is not even on the radar) 15 22.73%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
magnus
Tivo User

Add Cooperative Scheduling (and to search screen)

Cooperative Scheduling really should be added to search. I'd like to be able to search and find shows that I already have a season pass for in another room then be given the option to schedule a season pass to MRV (transfer) the show to my other Tivo automatically. If that feature could be added Tivo would rock even more.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

+1
Old 01-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Only if it's supported on S2s since my other TiVo is an S2.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
nrc
Cracker Soul

I put not important at all because I only have one TiVo. If there were a "not very important" I'd have chose that. I can see where cooperative scheduling would be very cool for those with multiple TiVos.

However, I'd say that the relationship of this to the new search feature is tenuous at best. You're really talking about an entirely different new feature that would then have to be represented in the new search feature.

Not entirely square
Old 01-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
magnus
Tivo User

Not really, If Tivo can search the internet for content then why not be able to give a list of shows that are already on my network of boxes (my MAK). Heck, I believe you can set up a season pass to Amazon for a show... so why not be able to set up a season pass to another Tivo on your network?

It seems like this sould be a very important part the new search. Yes. it's nice that I can see what is available from a host of other content providers but at it's core.... I'd like to be able to see what all is available within my network too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
I put not important at all because I only have one TiVo. If there were a "not very important" I'd have chose that. I can see where cooperative scheduling would be very cool for those with multiple TiVos.

However, I'd say that the relationship of this to the new search feature is tenuous at best. You're really talking about an entirely different new feature that would then have to be represented in the new search feature.

Last edited by magnus : 01-11-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
magnus
Tivo User

I'm not sure what their plans are for the new search but yes that's exactly what I am looking for. I want to schedule a recording on my S2 (season pass) and then use Tivo's new search to search for and set up a cooperative scheduling season pass to that Tivo for that program.

I'd like to be able to set up this season pass and then not have to worry about moving the show to my S3... it would be done automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Only if it's supported on S2s since my other TiVo is an S2.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Not really, If Tivo can search the internet for content then why not be able to give a list of shows that are already on my network of boxes (my MAK).
What you are proposing would only be possible if the scheduled recordings and season passes on your boxes were known to TiVo when outside the TiVo Search application. I don't think that is the case.

Furthermore, it's not known whether the final version of this application will remain on TiVo's servers. The final version could be run, at least in large part, from your box.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
magnus
Tivo User

You may be right but Tivo did ask for feedback. And this is the one feature that I would really like to get. And it really should be in the new search because it seems like they go together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I don't know exactly how TiVo search works. What you are proposing would only be possible if all your scheduled recordings and season passes on all your TiVos was known to TiVo when outside the TiVo Search application. I don't think that is the case.

Furthermore, it's not known whether the final version of this application will remain on TiVo's servers. The final version could be run, at least in large part, from your box.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
bkdtv

To the above, I do think cooperative scheduling is possible, but it would require some form of communication between the TiVos in your home.

It's not as simple as just sending a remote scheduling request through the Internet to another box, because remote scheduling does not know anything about your season passes or scheduled recordings (i.e. it can't avoid conflicts).
Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
magnus
Tivo User

Yep, maybe it's really more like I want to be able to use Tivo's new search to find a Tivo that I already have a season pass for (Tivo A) and then on Tivo B... I want to be able to set up a season pass to MRV (transfer) the program automatically.

In that way, scheduling conflicts would not be a consideration.

So, maybe what I'm asking for is really not cooperative scheduling but it's very close.

Quote:
To the above, I do think cooperative scheduling is possible, but it would require some form of communication between the TiVos in your home.

It's not as simple as just sending a remote scheduling request through the Internet to another box, because remote scheduling does not know anything about your season passes or scheduled recordings (i.e. it can't avoid conflicts).

Old 01-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
What you are proposing would only be possible if the scheduled recordings and season passes on your boxes were known to TiVo when outside the TiVo Search application. I don't think that is the case.
I think it is the case, if you're opted in, which you have to be to use the new search.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Not really, If Tivo can search the internet for content then why not be able to give a list of shows that are already on my network of boxes (my MAK). Heck, I believe you can set up a season pass to Amazon for a show... so why not be able to set up a season pass to another Tivo on your network?

It seems like this sould be a very important part the new search. Yes. it's nice that I can see what is available from a host of other content providers but at it's core.... I'd like to be able to see what all is available within my network too.
I guess a more universal now playing that lists all the shows on the Other DVRs in one group would be nice. I rpetty much know where they are and some in my family might have to look under 1 ro 2 other DVrs before the yfind it. I would put this on the nice to have list.

Now the ability to choose which DVR to schedule a show on from the Tivo search - and get instant feedback on if conflicts happen with that schedule would be the real rocking part. No more jumping around DVRs to find the one i can put a new show on. after we have that feature then an easy way to go find the shows would help.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #13
magnus
Tivo User

Ye, all of that would be good. It would be nice to at least get the ability to auto-transfer from another DVR this year. But even better to get the ability to schedule from one location via Tivo search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
I guess a more universal now playing that lists all the shows on the Other DVRs in one group would be nice. I rpetty much know where they are and some in my family might have to look under 1 ro 2 other DVrs before the yfind it. I would put this on the nice to have list.

Now the ability to choose which DVR to schedule a show on from the Tivo search - and get instant feedback on if conflicts happen with that schedule would be the real rocking part. No more jumping around DVRs to find the one i can put a new show on. after we have that feature then an easy way to go find the shows would help.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
magnus
Tivo User

If you're voting for other items, What are they? I can't imagine what would be more important for Tivo to work on but maybe someone has an idea that makes more sense (as it relates to the new search).
Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
bkdtv

Quote:
If you're voting for other items, What are they? I can't imagine what would be more important for Tivo to work on but maybe someone has an idea that makes more sense (as it relates to the new search).
I voted other items. I consider the following to be higher priority items for TiVo:
  1. Streaming MRV that can support copy protected content.

2. A 16:9 UI, including a 16:9 program guide that uses the extra screen space to show more information.

3. A program guide that clearly indicates what upcoming programs will and won't be recorded.

4. Customizable folders/groups, with an extra option under each season pass and wishlist to specify which folder/group the program would be saved under.

5. Improved conflict management that can recommend and modify the season pass list to maximize the number of programs that get recorded. This would greatly benefit more casual users that do not understand how to modify their season pass list to avoid missed programs due to conflicts.

6. Option to show the video window in the menus (being careful to hide / black out liveTV recordings in progress), a feature which many cable company DVR users demand.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #16
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
I voted other items. I consider the following to be higher priority items for TiVo:
  1. Streaming MRV that can support copy protected content.

2. A 16:9 UI, including a 16:9 program guide that uses the extra screen space to show more information.
  1. with you up to here - these are big ones - especially the streaming.
    Quote:
  2. A program guide that clearly indicates what upcoming programs will and won't be recorded.

3. Customizable folders/groups, with an extra option under each season pass and wishlist to specify which folder/group the program would be saved under.

4. Improved conflict management that can recommend and modify the season pass list to maximize the number of programs that get recorded. This would greatly benefit more casual users that do not understand how to modify their season pass list to avoid missed programs due to conflicts.
  5. these are all operational in nature but really do not add functional value to the DVR
    Quote:
  6. Option to show the video window in the menus (being careful to hide / black out liveTV recordings in progress), a feature which many cable company DVR users demand.
I would hate to have Live TV showing up all the time. The remote has a pause button and TiVo has 2 live TV buffers. Why go to all the hassle of PIP and the expense of that over many, many other features.

Taking the 'choose which TiVo to record on" feature from online site and adding it into this TiVo search I can use my TiVo remote for - priceless.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #17
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
these are all operational in nature but really do not add functional value to the DVR
Err... what?

All of those listed add functional value. They all help the user to see what's being recorded, or how to record things in an order that'll maximize the use of their DVR. That's pretty much defines added functional value for the TiVo.

I had a scheduling conflict where I had three NEW shows on at 9PM on Thursday Night. Had I not come here to see how to fix it (by moving the network shows higher in priority) I might not have been able to do it. Now the two network shows record, and an hour later a rerun of the cable show records... but all the TiVo would tell me when making a season pass is that I had scheduling conflicts and it would NOT record all the shows I wanted.

The short of it is, if I hadn't known about TCF I would have probably never gotten that third show to record. Adding this functionality to the TiVo would be stupendous.

Do you post just to post? You seem to have something to say about EVERYTHING. Just curious.

Last edited by Mindflux : 01-21-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #18
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
Err... what?

All of those listed add functional value. They all help the user to see what's being recorded, or how to record things in an order that'll maximize the use of their DVR. That's pretty much defines added functional value for the TiVo.
the use of the word is subjective I'll grant you that. I ws trying to split the difference between something that allows for a new function versus just improving an existing function. Then how granular you make function is the next subjective part - So I used a word hoping to imply all that versus type all that
in this case the 3 I pegged as just operational will help you more easily do the schedule function but do not actually add something you can not do/find out a different way, albeit a harder way. Folders are a gray area but you could TTG the shows to a PC and then drop them into folders of your choosing and namimg that TiVo desktop will publish back to the TiVo. If any of those were added i am sure I would make happy use of them but..

I typically have a different problem - since I like Sci-fi as well as regular shows and have a family of 6 to pick shows for - I very often have a true 3 way conflict that no amount of season pass shifting is going to fix. For my needs I need the NEW functionality of being to setup a recording from one TiVo onto a different TiVo and get instant feedback on conflicts as if I had scheduled it right on the other TiVo. That is my specific need and there is no way to do that short of walking between the TiVo DVRs or making a list since online scheduling will not let you move the season pass order on the TiVo like if I am sitting in front of my main one..

Quote:
The short of it is, if I hadn't known about TCF I would have probably never gotten that third show to record.
Do you post just to post? You seem to have something to say about EVERYTHING. Just curious.
so you praise the forum then rag on someone that frequents the forum and contributes helpful posts* almost daily!?

Sure I have something to say about many topics, I work from a home office so this is kind of my office banter replacement.

* along with my share of argumentative, feedback or just silly threadcr@p posts.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #19
magnus
Tivo User

Well, I've been using this new search and I'm just not seeing the great benefit of it. I really think this search should encompass all the boxes on the users network. And it should allow the user to modify season passes to the other boxes as well as set up auto-transfers from that box to it. In other words set up a season pass to another box on your network.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #20
MichaelK

Quote:

as posted above- I'm fairly certain the mothership knows what you have. The reason I say that is i seem to recall that under certain instances if you scheduled a season pass online it would suck your list up to the mothership then you could REPLACE the hard drive in the box and it would download the list to the new drive without user intervention.

So they have that ability.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #21
MichaelK

this auto transfer season pass is an interesting idea for sure- but not sure how it's related to search. I get being able to schedule on other boxes or see what's on other boxes as that's all readily availible. But I'm not sure the current code (right at the moment) has the ability to push or pull automatically from one box to another without user intervention (although not sure what manages podcasts transferred from tivodesktop- so maybe it's in there???)
Old 01-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #22
magnus
Tivo User

I know but when it comes down to it... it's all related to search. Once I search for it... I should be able to use it (consume it) just like it's on any other Tivo/Amazon/Netflix/Jaman or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
this auto transfer season pass is an interesting idea for sure- but not sure how it's related to search. I get being able to schedule on other boxes or see what's on other boxes as that's all readily availible. But I'm not sure the current code (right at the moment) has the ability to push or pull automatically from one box to another without user intervention (although not sure what manages podcasts transferred from tivodesktop- so maybe it's in there???)

Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #23
Ckought

I'd like a similar feature, but not necessarily tied to search.

Here's the scenario: You have multiple TiVos. You set up season passes for different things on them. TiVo #1 finds it has a conflict, so it checks TiVo #2 to see if one of the conflicting shows can be recorded there without conflicting with anything currently recording -- if not, then it's recorded on TiVo #2 then moved to TiVo #1. If TiVo #2 can't record the show because of a conflict, then it check with TiVo #3, etc. Only if there are no free tuners in any of your TiVos would a show not get recorded and then moved to the TiVo that requested it. This would work best if it does the checking right before the show starts -- if it does it too far in advance, then there could be problems with season pass changes or manual recording that happen on the other TiVos that could cause unforeseen conflicts. It could even check to see if both tuners in the requested TiVo are free, just in case somebody is currently watching something live on one of the tuners.

This would also come in handy if you're watching a show and it pops-up and says that it needs to change the channel to record a show. A great third option, other than yes or no, would be to tell it to record the show on another TiVo.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #24
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckought View Post
I'd like a similar feature, but not necessarily tied to search.

Here's the scenario: You have multiple TiVos. You set up season passes for different things on them. TiVo #1 finds it has a conflict, so it checks TiVo #2 to see if one of the conflicting shows can be recorded there without conflicting with anything currently recording -- if not, then it's recorded on TiVo #2 then moved to TiVo #1. If TiVo #2 can't record the show because of a conflict, then it check with TiVo #3, etc. Only if there are no free tuners in any of your TiVos would a show not get recorded and then moved to the TiVo that requested it. This would work best if it does the checking right before the show starts -- if it does it too far in advance, then there could be problems with season pass changes or manual recording that happen on the other TiVos that could cause unforeseen conflicts. It could even check to see if both tuners in the requested TiVo are free, just in case somebody is currently watching something live on one of the tuners.

This would also come in handy if you're watching a show and it pops-up and says that it needs to change the channel to record a show. A great third option, other than yes or no, would be to tell it to record the show on another TiVo.

The sad thing is there’s a third party hack that has done most of this for years (it doesn’t to my knowledge do the auto copy- but it looks for conflicts at like :25 and :55 and if it has one asks other tivos to record something if they have a free tuner. That alone would be a huge thing to include in the stock version. I don’t mind manually copying over at all.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #25
JasonRossSmith
The New Guy (sort of

Where can you download this hack?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #26
jbernardis

I'd take cooperative scheduling if and only if they solve the copy protection issue. I don't want TiVo to decide on its own to record something in the bedroom only to find that I have to watch it there due to copy protection. On my cable system, the only non-copy protected channels are the analog channels and the broadcast networks. Every other digital channel is protected.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #27
magnus
Tivo User

Wouldn't be best to at least record the show than to not record it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
I'd take cooperative scheduling if and only if they solve the copy protection issue. I don't want TiVo to decide on its own to record something in the bedroom only to find that I have to watch it there due to copy protection. On my cable system, the only non-copy protected channels are the analog channels and the broadcast networks. Every other digital channel is protected.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #28
jbernardis

Quote:
Wouldn't be best to at least record the show than to not record it at all.
Not if I'm able to record the correct show on the correct tivo by setting up my season passes manually - which is what I do now.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love the ability to program/control tivo1 from tivo2 and vice versa, but I want to be able to control which unit records which program.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #29
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
Not if I'm able to record the correct show on the correct tivo by setting up my season passes manually - which is what I do now.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love the ability to program/control tivo1 from tivo2 and vice versa, but I want to be able to control which unit records which program.
exactly - once a show is setup I rarely miss a recording due to conflict and can not even recall the last time that happened. The Trouble I have is that I see something I want to record but it conflicts and then I have to shuffle off to see if I have an opening on another TiVo.

Useful would be to have the beta search be able to allow me to set it up on another TiVo on my account with instant feedback.
Awesome would be to say i want a season pass and the search screen shows me the DVRs that have an open slot.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #30
toddinmd

it would be a nice feature