TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #211
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by irateb View Post
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm currently bringing the Maxtor image back down to the Toshiba, so I'll try it then. But you don't see any issue with using a 2.5" drive right? I'm starting to suspect I have one of those Series 2 units that doesn't like the JMicron chip...
I have no experience with running a laptop drive in a TiVo, but I'm running a JMicron chipset in a 540, a 240, and 2 649s quite successfully.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #212
irateb

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I have no experience with running a laptop drive in a TiVo, but I'm running a JMicron chipset in a 540, a 240, and 2 649s quite successfully.
I figured I'd give an update on my hard drive saga. I reordered the Rosewill adapter, and it still didn't work, so I started throwing every unused (and thanks to Ghost, some in use) SATA drive in my possession at it. Two hard drives worked, with both the JMicron and the Marvell chipsets:

Seagate ST3120813AS (120GB, 7200 RPM, 3.5" drive)
Seagate ST96812AS (60GB, 5400 RPM, 2.5" drive)

Three drives would not get past the Powering Up screen:

Toshiba MK2561GSYN (250GB, 7200 RPM, 2.5" drive)
Western Digital WD2500BEVS (250GB, 5400 RPM, 2.5" drive)
Western Digital WD5000BPVT (500GB, 5400 RPM, 2.5" drive)

The 120GB Seagate seemed to get way too hot, so I'm currently running the 60GB Seagate. If I get more bored, I'll try to figure out why the other 2.5" drives didn't work. I'll update my first post, and thanks for the help!
irateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #213
nickolasb

If this has been posted already feel free to delete

Did it work?: need to find a hr10-250 image to try it (will update after testing)
TiVo Model: hr10-250
Hard drive model: ST3802110A
Adapter retail name: Sata HDD to IDE
Purchased from / Price: centrix-intl part number PSTAD for $6.50 ea
Chipset on the adapter:
SunPlusIT
SATAlink
SP1P223A-HE027
MQOR719.1
0942-00600

I think the chipset is correct but not sure.

edit:
I looked at the adapter and there is a jumper on the circuit board and i see at least 2 different ways it the jumper was pre-installed, also there are no instructions
there are 4 jumper pins on this adapter
1 2
3 4
I have seen the jumper across 3-4 and 2-4 in the packaging

Last edited by nickolasb : 04-08-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: update
nickolasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #214
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolasb View Post
If this has been posted already feel free to delete

Did it work?: need to find a hr10-250 image to try it (will update after testing)
TiVo Model: hr10-250
Hard drive model: ST3802110A
Adapter retail name: Sata HDD to IDE
Purchased from / Price: centrix-intl part number PSTAD for $6.50 ea
Chipset on the adapter:
SunPlusIT
SATAlink
SP1P223A-HE027
MQOR719.1
0942-00600

I think the chipset is correct but not sure.
That SunPlus may work on the PC but not the TiVo.

There has been extremely limited success and plentiful failure reported for them.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #215
stamasd

After some time experimenting I found a setup using components currently available on the market (July 2013) that allows the upgrade of Series1 Philips (HDR212) with SATA drives.

Did it work?: YES
TiVo Model: HDR212
Hard drive model: Hitachi Deskstar HDP725050GLA360, 500GD/7200rpm/SATA 3GB/s, purchased at www.geeks.com
Adapter retail name: "IDE to SATA Bidirectional Hard Drive Converter/Adapter"
Purchased from / Price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370339747527 seller: redtagtown Price: $5
Chipset on the adapter: unknown, see pictures below

My own pictures of the adapter (10Mpix, not resized)
http://s7.postimg.org/4nceryz6z/IMG_6952.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/cchaczgpl/IMG_6954.jpg
http://s22.postimg.org/jn48wvw29/IMG_6955.jpg
http://s22.postimg.org/nh2ajs2s1/IMG_6956.jpg
http://s18.postimg.org/waoaekbmh/IMG_6957.jpg

If someone can figure out the chipset please let me know.

Last edited by stamasd : 07-31-2013 at 05:04 PM.
stamasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #216
stamasd

Hm I tried to edit again the post above but for some reason I can't.

Anyway. The 3rd picture is where the markings on the chip show the best. Still it doesn't tell me who makes it. It looks like the ebay picture has a bigger chip with different markings, but it's too low resolution. There currently are many sellers on ebay offering what appears to be (from the pictures) this same model of adapter for prices between $4 and $8 - I chose this particular seller because he ships from the US as opposed to China, thus fast delivery.

As for procedure: I prepared the drive by restoring one of my own backups using the mfslive boot CD, then plugged the adapter directly in the connector on the Tivo motherboard (after removing the IDE cable - this makes a dual-drive setup impossible, or at least hard), connected the drive to the adapter, plugged both the drive and the adapter into the power connectors (the adapter needs separate power) then powered up the Tivo. Tested the setup by making a daily call, recording a program and then playing it back. Everything works as expected.

(edit)

Investigating further to find out the chipset: I found the following image from another ebay seller; the adapter looks physically almost identical, but has a model number stenciled.

Googling the model number YT-JM330 I found:
1. Amazon sells one for a few cents less; looks very close, down to the round clamshell packaging. http://www.amazon.com/IDE-SATA-Adapter/dp/B000RK89M4
2. A link to JMicron http://www.jmicron.com/Product_JMB363.htm - perhaps this is the chipset?
3. link to a Russian store that sells a similar product except the PCB is red; the image is slightly better resolution and shows a Sunplus SATALINK SPIF223A chip.

However, looking at PCB details it appears that the adapters are only superficially similar, but the PCB layout of components is different for all of the above.

At this point I have no idea what the chipset is. For good measure I ordered a few more from the same seller.

Last edited by stamasd : 07-31-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #217
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamasd View Post
Hm I tried to edit again the post above but for some reason I can't.

Anyway. The 3rd picture is where the markings on the chip show the best. Still it doesn't tell me who makes it. It looks like the ebay picture has a bigger chip with different markings, but it's too low resolution. There currently are many sellers on ebay offering what appears to be (from the pictures) this same model of adapter for prices between $4 and $8 - I chose this particular seller because he ships from the US as opposed to China, thus fast delivery.

As for procedure: I prepared the drive by restoring one of my own backups using the mfslive boot CD, then plugged the adapter directly in the connector on the Tivo motherboard (after removing the IDE cable - this makes a dual-drive setup impossible, or at least hard), connected the drive to the adapter, plugged both the drive and the adapter into the power connectors (the adapter needs separate power) then powered up the Tivo. Tested the setup by making a daily call, recording a program and then playing it back. Everything works as expected.

(edit)

Investigating further to find out the chipset: I found the following image from another ebay seller; the adapter looks physically almost identical, but has a model number stenciled.

Googling the model number YT-JM330 I found:
1. Amazon sells one for a few cents less; looks very close, down to the round clamshell packaging. http://www.amazon.com/IDE-SATA-Adapter/dp/B000RK89M4
2. A link to JMicron http://www.jmicron.com/Product_JMB363.htm - perhaps this is the chipset?
3. link to a Russian store that sells a similar product except the PCB is red; the image is slightly better resolution and shows a Sunplus SATALINK SPIF223A chip.

However, looking at PCB details it appears that the adapters are only superficially similar, but the PCB layout of components is different for all of the above.

At this point I have no idea what the chipset is. For good measure I ordered a few more from the same seller.
Why the SATA red cable ? without SATA power cable I would think one would just plug the SATA drive into the card and not need this red cable.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #218
stamasd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Why the SATA red cable ? without SATA power cable I would think one would just plug the SATA drive into the card and not need this red cable.
You can't. For one thing the connector on the card is male, same as on the drive. Then the other connectors (power and the other SATA connector, which is used for the reverse conversion IDE-drive-to-SATA-motherboard) would get in the way. You have to use the cable. Plus you need to plug a separate power cable into the drive.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #219
lessd

Quote:
You can't. For one thing the connector on the card is male, same as on the drive. Then the other connectors (power and the other SATA connector, which is used for the reverse conversion IDE-drive-to-SATA-motherboard) would get in the way. You have to use the cable. Plus you need to plug a separate power cable into the drive.
OH!

The adapters that I have used plug directly into a SATA drive (and use double sided stick tape to hold them to the drive) and make the drive look like a PATA drive, you then just plug in the PATA cable and power and are good to go, good for Series 2 disk changes.
I guess your talking the other direction.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #220
stamasd

This adapter is made to plug in the motherboard, and connect to the drive with a SATA cable (which replaces the IDE cable). It effectively transforms the motherboard's IDE port into a SATA port.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #221
unitron

Quote:
This adapter is made to plug in the motherboard, and connect to the drive with a SATA cable (which replaces the IDE cable). It effectively transforms the motherboard's IDE port into a SATA port.
There are also versions that turn the IDE header into 2 SATA ports (which the TiVo sees as IDE master and slave).

The SunPlus and JMicron chipsets will most likely not work in an S1--they're much more finicky than S2s.

S1s--use a Marvell chipset.

S2s--use a Marvell or JMicron chipset

In a computer, either of the above, but don't be surprised if a SunPlus chipset is iffy at best.

If you got that thing with the no-name chipset to work in an S1, you really lucked out.

Maybe those are Marvell chips that failed QC, so they sold them unbranded.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #222
stamasd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you got that thing with the no-name chipset to work in an S1, you really lucked out.
It's called trial and error. I tried adapters from about a dozen sellers before I found one that works. I have a whole pile of adapters in a box.

Quote:
There are also versions that turn the IDE header into 2 SATA ports (which the TiVo sees as IDE master and slave).
Interesting, I have perused the listings on ebay for a long time, and from other places as well (dealextreme and a few others) and I've never seen one like you describe.

Quote:
The SunPlus and JMicron chipsets will most likely not work in an S1--they're much more finicky than S2s.
Yeah, I actually knew that. I have another adapter which is clearly a Sunplus SATALINK and it doesn't work in S1. It however does work in a S2 - I have a TCD540-040 which I upgraded about a year ago with said adapter and a SATA drive.

Last edited by stamasd : 08-03-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:16 AM   #223
unitron

The SATA/IDE adapter sold by weaKnees, who help pay for this website to operate, uses a JMicron chipset, and pretty much the same thing (perhaps without the 'sticky on both sides once you peel off the paper that says 3M' foam tape) is available elsewhere at a lower price.

HOWEVER

The one weaKnees sells they not only guarantee to work, they guarantee that it will work in a Series 2 TiVo.

Anybody else doesn't know TiVos well enough to be able to make that claim about the ones they sell.

So you may find the peace of mind worth the extra money.

The one thing I have bought from weaKnees so far, a dual drive bracket for a Series 2 Dual Tuner model, I'm quite pleased with.

Last edited by unitron : 10-06-2014 at 11:02 PM.