TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #2341
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It's not a Streambaby bug but rather a TiVo limitation. It's the same method that TiVo YouTube HME application streams to your TiVo and there is probably a dedicated disk partition being used which defines the buffer limit. Probably the only way to solve this issue is perhaps using WinMFS type utility that increases the particular disk partition that is used for this buffer. For the adventurous types that are familiar with WinMFS type utility it may be worth exploring the different partitions for an S3 TiVo for example to see if there is one that is ~ 1GB in size or so.
Interesting. I would think if this was non-trivial, someone might have figured it out by now, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
FWIW, you can watch while pytivo is transferring... so although you're not technically "streaming", there's little difference other than the program is being stored on your tivo hdd, and there's no disruption for "rebuffering".
I was aware of that, thanks. I agree that it is probably better, especially in light of this issue of which I was previously unaware.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:14 AM   #2342
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
and there is probably a dedicated disk partition being used which defines the buffer limit.
I don't have evidence, but I doubt that. I've always suspected that one could resize the buffer in the stream creation request, if one knew the proper parameters to pass. For TiVo, it's not an issue, because the YouTube vids are much smaller than that, and Netflix streaming uses a different (seemingly bufferless) method. However, it's possible that TiVo already does it. No one has ever actually sniffed the YouTube HME traffic (it's SSL'd) and published the results, AFAIK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #2343
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I don't have evidence, but I doubt that. I've always suspected that one could resize the buffer in the stream creation request, if one knew the proper parameters to pass. For TiVo, it's not an issue, because the YouTube vids are much smaller than that, and Netflix streaming uses a different (seemingly bufferless) method. However, it's possible that TiVo already does it. No one has ever actually sniffed the YouTube HME traffic (it's SSL'd) and published the results, AFAIK.
I have always thought as well that when streaming we should be able to purge/flush the buffer without the user having to experience the pause and reset of the stream. Do you know if any testing work has been done with other streaming protocols that may better support this such as rtmp/rtmpe?

Maybe once Hulu comes out we can get a fresh take on the streaming aspect.

Last edited by Iluvatar : 03-30-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #2344
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
Maybe once Hulu comes out we can get a fresh take on the streaming aspect.
Doubt it will be much different than the Netflix application - i.e. Little to no buffering and SSL encrypted communications. (There is a little buffering for Netflix since if you pull the network cord while streaming Netflix you get a few seconds of video before error).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #2345
rage777

I can't seem to get streambaby to work. I am running Windows 7 with a Tivo Premiere. I can see streambaby from the Tivo, but when I select it I just get the "Please Wait" message from Tivo. I looked at the streambaby logs with the log level at warn, but it still doesn't say anything. There are no errors in the log, so I am not sure what is going on. Is there some port that should be open for streambaby to work?
rage777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #2346
bowlingblogger

I had the same problem, which I fixed by creating an exception in Windows Firewall for inbound connections on TCP port 7290. I learned this from this post from BrianVeg in this thread after much scouring!

EDIT: Although this post refers to Windows Home Server, I had to do this for my W7x64 installation.

Last edited by bowlingblogger : 04-03-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: added more information
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #2347
wingnut144

Streambaby question

I just found the streambaby application, and it seems to work fine, so far.....I do have some questions, and if anyone knows the answers I'd appreciate it!

2 things......is there a way to get movie covers to show up on the tivo, in the movie list? Like album art?

The other, I'm getting a error when I stop a movie and go back to the main folder, in the streambaby app window that's running, I'm seeing:

Code:
StreamBabyStream[#1,uri=null] warning: resource 3891 not found.
StreamBabyStream[#1,uri=null] warning: resource 3891 not found.
04/08/11 07:36:51 Listener: 192.168.0.5 I/O Exception handling  HTTP GET 10f922a
d-26a4-4f55-9915-c9016ba5904f.stream: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
Anyone have any ideas? Is the software still being worked on? New versions, etc???
wingnut144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #2348
rrr22777

Is there a way to select the audio track? My DVD's I backed up using DVDFab seem to have directories commentary on one track and the movie audio on another.
rrr22777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #2349
martyscholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr22777 View Post
Is there a way to select the audio track? My DVD's I backed up using DVDFab seem to have directories commentary on one track and the movie audio on another.
I have seen that before too and I am no expert.

That said, my DVD rips have several audio streams encoded, and I think the pyTivo/Streambaby -> Tivo process blindly uses the first available audio stream. If that first stream is pre-Roman Latin, then that's what you will hear.

I am getting more and more annoyed at how difficult the studios are making it to watch the damn DVD. It is becoming harder and harder to do the moral thing and rip my own DVD. These days, they have actually made it easier to torrent a movie.

Silly me, I keep trying to be ethical about this, and it is costing me a lot of time an aggravation.
martyscholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #2350
arolson101

I'm trying to setup my videos (mp4s) with all embedded metadata, and so far it works great, except that when videos are pushed to the tivo they don't show up in groups. I see there's code in InternalPush.java to set the seriesTitle based on the metadata, and I think that the problem is that the seriesTitle isn't set except when it reads a pyTivo txt file. It looks like the TVSHOW atom would be appropriate for this purpose, and it is being read from the mp4 (MP4MetaDataModule.java), but then I don't follow once it goes into the transform() function. I think that all I need to do is edit meta-html.xsl, but I'm not sure in what way. Could someone help?

Thanks!
-ARO

Edit: also need help with episodeTitle

Last edited by arolson101 : 04-11-2011 at 12:31 AM.
arolson101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #2351
rrr22777

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyscholes View Post
I have seen that before too and I am no expert.

That said, my DVD rips have several audio streams encoded, and I think the pyTivo/Streambaby -> Tivo process blindly uses the first available audio stream. If that first stream is pre-Roman Latin, then that's what you will hear.

I am getting more and more annoyed at how difficult the studios are making it to watch the damn DVD. It is becoming harder and harder to do the moral thing and rip my own DVD. These days, they have actually made it easier to torrent a movie.

Silly me, I keep trying to be ethical about this, and it is costing me a lot of time an aggravation.
Well thats what was odd. My first audio track was the normal movie and the second audio track was the directors commentary. Actually I did get streambaby to choose the first track. pyTivo downloaded the movie with second audio track.

Just like many others I am just trying to backup DVD's to make them easier to watch. What backup program creates a single file with no degradation in video quality and works best with streambaby?
rrr22777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #2352
martyscholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr22777 View Post
What backup program creates a single file with no degradation in video quality and works best with streambaby?
I find that k9copy under Linux does a decent job. I don't do any transcoding, just dump the raw mpeg2 video to a single file, along with all of the audio tracks.
martyscholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #2353
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I've tried a couple of times to get this running on my PC and have never been able to do it. I was always fairly happy with Tivo Desktop so I didn't put much effort into it. Well today, I tried streambaby and finally got it installed properly (it was a java issue) and I LOVE IT! I wish I did this a long time ago!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #2354
drcos
HD where available

Nice program

Posted an issue about captions, specifically that hypertext (italics, etc) are not being translated correctly and display in the caption (i.e. <i>What?</i>). The text in the SRT files is being displayed without formatting. Anyone here with ideas?

Also the txt info files thing is great once you learn the codes. If you have a bonked-up field, nothing displays. (I use http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Metadata for reference.)

My only real complaint is the 1.1GB buffer is annoying, especially with HD material where it might rebuffer every 8-12 minutes.

Otherwise, you guys rock and thanks!
(streambaby 0.29 on Ubuntu 11.04 to TiVo S3)
Old 05-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #2355
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Is it possible to delete a video using the streambaby app? If I press "clear" it prompts me for a password but there is no password on the shared drive that it streams from.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #2356
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Is it possible to delete a video using the streambaby app? If I press "clear" it prompts me for a password but there is no password on the shared drive that it streams from.
Yes, On the Movie info screen, scroll down and select the line with the "More" on the right, move right and you should see a delete menu.

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #2357
ignavia
4 8 15 16 23 42

I hate enormous threads like this... you can't really search them properly.

Anyhow, I want to use Streambaby to play ripped DVDs. I realize that it can play VOB files natively, but I don't really get the whole VOB file thing. Also, most of what I want to play are TV DVDs, so multiple episodes per disc. I could use handbrake to rip each episode to an MP4 or something, but handbrake runs like crap on my PC.

I'm already using DVD Fab HD to rip, so I have the VOB files. I guess my main question is, what do I do with them? How do I figure out what episode is what?

Thanks, and sorry if this was already answered (I saw an answer on page 25, but it was only talking about ripping...)
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #2358
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfryar View Post
Yes, On the Movie info screen, scroll down and select the line with the "More" on the right, move right and you should see a delete menu.

Rick

Thanks. I found it. When I try to delete it gives me an error message and closes the app. When I re-open the app the file is deleted.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #2359
drcos
HD where available

I don't know that I would want to be able to delete from the TiVo.
I set (and would recommend)
streambaby.delete = false
in my streambaby.ini file to remove this option.

I can't get background.image to work, I get an HTTP crash when I access it from the TiVo.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #2360
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignavia View Post
I'm already using DVD Fab HD to rip, so I have the VOB files. I guess my main question is, what do I do with them? How do I figure out what episode is what?
I rip all my movies/shows using DVDFab as well. However I take a step further and use DVD Ripper to convert them to H264/AC3 MP4s. (Acutally the best profile I found is MKV, then I use one more tool to remux into MP4)

Finally I use a tool to place MP4 metadata into each video including album art. This along with a nice naming convention gives me easy access through streambaby with cover art and descriptions.

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #2361
klyde

I read that you can push videos with streambaby. I just installed it and can stream but can not find out how to push movies so the movie is on the Tivo HD. How can I push movies?
klyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #2362
jpascone

Problems Streaming .M4V Files

They play fine on my PC using Quicktime but I received a "Failed to Open Stream" message on my set.

I receive the following messages in my streambaby.log file:
05/04/11 23:55:05 ZipGeneratingPreview$GenThread: Generation Error creating zip pvw: C:\Program Files\Streambaby\cache\01 The Curse of Dethklok.m4v-131094948-d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.pvw.tmp
05/04/11 23:55:05 FFmpegExeVideoModule: FFmpeg failed to continue running... Assuming error

Any help?

Thanks!
JP
jpascone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:27 AM   #2363
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyde View Post
I read that you can push videos with streambaby. I just installed it and can stream but can not find out how to push movies so the movie is on the Tivo HD. How can I push movies?
You have set your tivo username & password in .ini file:
tivo.username=...
tivo.password=...
Then after you restart streambaby you get option to push.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:47 AM   #2364
klyde

that did it, I never read that on the streambaby web page, maybe I missed it.
thanks
klyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #2365
oldskoolboarder

Streambaby disappeared, any suggestions?

I have PyTivo running on my Mac Mini (C2D, 2GHz, 8 GB RAM) and it's been running fine to both my Tivos.

At some point, I checked the operation of Streambaby and it was working on my HD Tivo. I could access it from the Showcase menu. Last night, I tried and it was gone. I have rebooted PyTivo and it doesn't show up. I will try to reboot the Tivo as well, but wondering if anyone had this happen and what you did to fix it.

Thanks.
oldskoolboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #2366
windracer
joined the 10k club

pyTivo is a separate application from streambaby, so I wouldn't expect restarting pyTivo to affect streambaby.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #2367
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

He probably means pyTivoX, which does include Streambaby.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #2368
windracer
joined the 10k club

Ah, missed the Mac Mini part. Oops.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #2369
Tekzel

Ok, been fighting this problem for a while now, searching high and low but haven't found a solution.

I'm running Streambaby 0.29, normally on a Windows Home Server 2011 server, but now on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit workstation while the server is down. My Tivo is a Series 3 HD. On both systems I get this exact same behavior in Streambaby: Whether running as a service or in console mode, when I first start it up it shows on the Tivo for a short time, probably 5-10 minutes, but I haven't timed it. While it's showing, I can go in and use it just fine and can watch videos for hours, but if I then leave the app, or if I wait too long to try it initially, it is gone from the HME apps list. If I restart the service, or restart the app in console mode, it shows up for a short while and I can use it. Any time I want to watch videos on my Tivo I have to restart the service first. I did make a rule in the firewall on both the server and the workstation to get it working initially. I have tried running it as everything from system account to different user accounts.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this?
Tekzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #2370
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzel View Post
Ok, been fighting this problem for a while now, searching high and low but haven't found a solution.

I'm running Streambaby 0.29, normally on a Windows Home Server 2011 server, but now on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit workstation while the server is down. My Tivo is a Series 3 HD. On both systems I get this exact same behavior in Streambaby: Whether running as a service or in console mode, when I first start it up it shows on the Tivo for a short time, probably 5-10 minutes, but I haven't timed it. While it's showing, I can go in and use it just fine and can watch videos for hours, but if I then leave the app, or if I wait too long to try it initially, it is gone from the HME apps list. If I restart the service, or restart the app in console mode, it shows up for a short while and I can use it. Any time I want to watch videos on my Tivo I have to restart the service first. I did make a rule in the firewall on both the server and the workstation to get it working initially. I have tried running it as everything from system account to different user accounts.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this?
Not sure what's causing it, but I had something like this happen and worked around it by running the Abyss web server on the PC and following the information in this post: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...99#post7487199
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote