TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #2281
stalemate
McGruber

Hey guys, I am hoping someone can help me with some streambaby troubles I am having. I used to use streambaby about a year ago and everything was working fine. I didn't use it for about a year and now I'm having some trouble.

My setup:
TivoHD
iMac running Snow Leopard
streambaby is running on the iMac and was installed as a bundle with the latest version of pytivox (1.3)

All my media is found just fine, and the stream to the tivo keeps up just fine (no rebuffering or anything), but there is "interference" in the video as it streams. It gets very blocky/pixely, kind of like when an OTA HDTV signal is borderline and is cutting out. It isn't just once in a while, it is constantly throughout the whole video.

So far I've only tried mkv files of TV episodes downloaded through torrent sites. I know the files are fine because I can watch them on my computer or stream them to my boxee machine no problem, but when watching them on the tivo via StreamBaby they are basically unwatchable.

Any ideas? I don't know if there are config settings I can tweak or if I should try dropping a different version of streambaby into the pytivox folder or any other suggestions. A year ago when I used to do this it was all working fine. The only thing that has changed is I upgraded to a new mac and now have snowleopard instead of leopard and I had to reinstall pytivox to get the new version recently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stalemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #2282
stalemate
McGruber

Bump for the weekday crowd.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #2283
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
........So far I've only tried mkv files of TV episodes downloaded through torrent sites. I know the files are fine because I can watch them on my computer or stream them to my boxee machine no problem, but when watching them on the tivo via StreamBaby they are basically unwatchable.

Any ideas?........
Well ... one idea: Try a different source.

Files can play fine on a computer but still not stream well. I don't know about mkv files but .mp4 and .m4v files can fail to stream properly because they are not "optimized for http streaming", which has something to do with placement of the "moov" atom.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #2284
stalemate
McGruber

More info.... I tried with an avi file and it did the same thing.

The mkv files stream fine to my iPad using air video and boxee also plays them fine.

I am going to try the beta of ptivox and see how that does.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #2285
stalemate
McGruber

Same problem with streaming with pytivox 1.4.1b

Going to try pushing the file to the TiVo with pytivox classic and take stream baby out of the mix.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #2286
stalemate
McGruber

Same issue with pytivox classic, no streaming involved.

I am pretty much clueless at this point, going to try rebooting the TiVo to see if that might make some difference.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #2287
stalemate
McGruber

Rebooting the TiVo seems to have fixed it.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #2288
stalemate
McGruber

Rebooting the TiVo seems to have fixed it.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #2289
boredsox38

Does any one have any settings they can share? I am using Aimersoft DRM Media Converter to move my files over to MP4 format. When I convert over an SD video it will convert great with no trans-coding on the CPU and playback is perfect. For some reason I cannot get the correct settings to an HD video. It is consistently trans-coding on the CPU and it causes a bottleneck because the CPU is not fast enough. Any thoughts, I have followed the guide on google for file formats but something is causing it to no be compatible and forcing a trans-code. Thanks!
boredsox38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #2290
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredsox38 View Post
Does any one have any settings they can share?
The Video Compatibility guide on the wiki has the codec and bitrates that are supported natively and that require no transcoding to play.

http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/..._compatibility

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #2291
elenaran

has anybody had any luck getting .mts (AVCHD) files to play on streambaby? i don't understand why it doesn't play - it works on ffmpeg/ffplay but doesn't work under streambaby
elenaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #2292
boredsox38

Hey Rick, I have used the Video Compatibility guide and set all of the settings per guide. I am wondering if it is something in Aimersoft that cannot be adjusted. Anyone else had any success with Aimersoft on the HD side?
boredsox38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #2293
superflysocal

Does the premiere allow streambaby to handle mkv files any better than tivo HD?

what about mp4 with multichannel aac? will it stream it natively without transcoding and have proper center channel on a premiere?
superflysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #2294
synch22

wow where have i been. Had S3 since launch and an HD but never bothered to look into these stream programs, just used the PS3 for that. It was a chore turnign on another machine and getting various controllers. Downloaded this today and it works like a charm...thanks!
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #2295
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
Does the premiere allow streambaby to handle mkv files any better than tivo HD?

what about mp4 with multichannel aac? will it stream it natively without transcoding and have proper center channel on a premiere?
Tivo Premiere does not navitly handle MKV containers.

The Premiere does not have the abiltiy to ENCODE ac3 5.1 audio on the fly so no, it cannot convert aac multichannel to ac3 mutlichannel to output the 5.1 audio on the optical or hdmi digial audio port. Premiere CAN read AAC format and output 2 channels of it as PCM. Very few recievers or televisions would understand a multichannel AAC stream if tivo did send it out the digital audio port so why would they?

The premiere MAY handle .ts files but no one has figured out how to send them yet.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #2296
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Issue with timing out...

I had streambaby on another computer last year and it worked fine. I put it on my HTPC and I am now having the following issue:

First, I had the issuse with no java, but added the path to my java.exe file in the .bat file and it seems to be working properly to that point ("ready & listening"). I then edited the dir.1= to dir.1=z:\My Tivo Recordings in the .ini file.

However, over at one of my new Tivo Premieres, when I select "stream, baby, stream" I get a please wait for about 5 minutes and then a time out to try again later (actually http failure).

Do I possibly have something wrong?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and

Last edited by larrs : 01-20-2011 at 07:49 PM.
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #2297
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea4 View Post
Ok duh! Found the native folder, extracted ffmpeg to it. Still not working. I can still see "stream baby, stream" under Music, Photos, & More, but without the slate icon? I guess in front. When I go to it, it stays on the Please wait.. screen for a while and then I get HTTP failure (Http connection error: (0x50005).
By the way, this is exactly the behavior i am seeing. So, I read the thread and have opened the proper port and added ffmpeg to the exceptions list (java was already there). I also made sure that unlike the original poster, I am not blocking all access. I will try when I get home and see if it is now behaving and report back.

Thanks for the great resource thread...

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and

Last edited by larrs : 01-20-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #2298
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

I am going to need some more suggestions...

...on what to try next. I am still getting the timeout (see above post) and I also see no icon next to streambaby on the menu in my tivo.

I did open the port and made sure FFMpeg.exe and java are in the exceptions list for Windows Firewall. I am getting the same behavior as the earlier poster I referenced above except they were also having administrative rights issues with their computer and I am not. (I am, however, like that poster, using Vista 64).

If I turn Windows Firewall off on the PC, streambaby works fine.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and

Last edited by larrs : 01-20-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #2299
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Success...at least it runs...

OK, duh, I found that there is an entry for Java in my exceptions list that was not allowed. It was not java.exe but something called java binary something...

It now connects fine. Hope this helps someone else.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 01-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #2300
superflysocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Tivo Premiere does not navitly handle MKV containers.

The Premiere does not have the abiltiy to ENCODE ac3 5.1 audio on the fly so no, it cannot convert aac multichannel to ac3 mutlichannel to output the 5.1 audio on the optical or hdmi digial audio port. Premiere CAN read AAC format and output 2 channels of it as PCM. Very few recievers or televisions would understand a multichannel AAC stream if tivo did send it out the digital audio port so why would they?

The premiere MAY handle .ts files but no one has figured out how to send them yet.
What I meant about the aac multichannel is this...last time i checked, if you try to natively (no reencoding) stream a mp4 with multichannel aac (5.1), streambaby and tivo plays it with sound decoded down to 2 channel, but there is no audio from the "center" channel that is encoded, thus making it worthless since there is no "dialog". The workaround was forcing streambaby to reencode to a lowerbitrate video which forces an audio reencode as well. I was told this was due to how the tivo handled mp4 + multichannel aac and not streambabies fault. So i was just wondering if the premiere changed this compared to the series 3, and also if reencoding mkv's with streambaby on a premiere gives better results than series 3 (too many video stutters with my tivoHD when playing mkv through streambaby), since it has a better processor.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #2301
jcthorne

When you attempt to play a multichannel AAC file through tivo, it simply sends the front right and left channels as pcm out the digital and analog sound ports. It cannot decode the aac and re-encode it to multichannel ac3 on the fly. The spdif and hdmi standards do not handle multichannel aac nor do most playback devices.

I would be nice if Tivo could re-encode it on the fly to ac3 but it does not have an encoder chip to do so. Premiere and TivoHD act the same in this regard.

Neither tivoHD nor Premiere handle mkv files at all. Streambaby attemps to re-encode them to mpeg2 onthe fly. Need serious hardware to do that for HD video in real time while handleing other overhead to get the stream to the tivo. Its your server that is limited here. The Premiere does have much faster network capabilites so if your server can recode to mpeg2 fast enough, the premiere may indeed play streamed mkvs 'better'.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #2302
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Installed this last night and I must say for an HME app it's fast! I am seeing one issue though and was wondering if it might be hardware related. It's a 1.8Ghz duron running Galleon, KMTTG, and is configured as a file server with two external 1TB drives.

When I try to start the stream the application appears to hang. How long should it take before the show starts playing? All files I've tried so far are mpeg2.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #2303
superflysocal

Quote:
When you attempt to play a multichannel AAC file through tivo, it simply sends the front right and left channels as pcm out the digital and analog sound ports. It cannot decode the aac and re-encode it to multichannel ac3 on the fly. The spdif and hdmi standards do not handle multichannel aac nor do most playback devices.

I would be nice if Tivo could re-encode it on the fly to ac3 but it does not have an encoder chip to do so. Premiere and TivoHD act the same in this regard.

Neither tivoHD nor Premiere handle mkv files at all. Streambaby attemps to re-encode them to mpeg2 onthe fly. Need serious hardware to do that for HD video in real time while handleing other overhead to get the stream to the tivo. Its your server that is limited here. The Premiere does have much faster network capabilites so if your server can recode to mpeg2 fast enough, the premiere may indeed play streamed mkvs 'better'.
Ok, i just noticed that natively streaming an mp4 file with multichannel aac results in audio just find including voice from center channel with a premiere. On a TivoHD, you will not hear audio from center channel and thus no conversation. So looks like this is fixed with premiere. MKV results are the same from both premiere and tivoHD because like you said, is due to your server and not the machines.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #2304
jcthorne

Kool. We are learning new features and bug fixes in the Premiere all the time.

Has anyone tried pushing a non-streaming mp4 (IE with the mov atom still at the end) to a premiere? If this worked, mkv's could be remuxed on the fly to mp4 rather than transcoded to mpeg2. Little birdie told me it was worth trying against 14.7 firmware but needs programming in streambaby or pytivo to try.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #2305
moyekj

Quote:

Has anyone tried pushing a non-streaming mp4 (IE with the mov atom still at the end) to a premiere? If this worked, mkv's could be remuxed on the fly to mp4 rather than transcoded to mpeg2. Little birdie told me it was worth trying against 14.7 firmware but needs programming in streambaby or pytivo to try.
Tried mp4 with moov atom at end of file with my Premiere using the streambaby raw file technique (and video/mp4 mime type) and no dice unfortunately, so moov atom at front of file is still required. Once I ran qt-faststart on it then the raw technique worked fine.
I haven't tested to see if the 1.1 GB stream buffer limit is still there for Premiere but I assume that hasn't changed either... EDIT. Just confirmed the 1.1 GB stream buffer limit is still there. i.e. Not much improvement on the streaming front from what I can see - push is still a better option.

Last edited by moyekj : 01-26-2011 at 12:57 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #2306
jcthorne

Thanks for trying the mp4. Guess the birdie was mistaken and got my hopes up. I'll let my source know. Have no idea where that could go...or not.

Would it be possible to have an option in streambaby to ONLY allow push from the menus? This is a WAF issue since effectivly the stream option really does not work for our movie files.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #2307
moyekj

Quote:
Would it be possible to have an option in streambaby to ONLY allow push from the menus? This is a WAF issue since effectivly the stream option really does not work for our movie files.
I think Keary is satisfied with current version and has no plans for further updates/enhancements, and hasn't checked in here for a while. The push option is already there and provides a fairly nice way to initiate a push from TiVo itself, so either teach the W to not use "play" button or dig into the source code to change things such that "play" actually initiates a push instead. Wouldn't be too hard to do but I don't have motivation/reason to do it. In fact these days I mostly just pull video from TiVos and very rarely go the other way.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #2308
superflysocal

Quote:

btw, I have always wondered about this...why doesnt streambaby transcode mkv to mp4 instead of mpeg, since mp4 plays so well natively. Can you elaborate more on this mov atom thing?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #2309
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
btw, I have always wondered about this...why doesnt streambaby transcode mkv to mp4 instead of mpeg, since mp4 plays so well natively. Can you elaborate more on this mov atom thing?
Simply put: the mp4 container has a bunch of metadata type information about the stream which TiVo needs access to in order to play. The information is able to reside at the end of the file or the beginning of the file in mp4 container specs. If you are streaming, obviously the information has to be at the beginning of the file, but for TiVo regardless of streaming or pushing it has to be at the beginning.

Now the problem is that information is not finalized by the encoder until AFTER the full encode completes, therefore transcoding on the fly to mp4 container is not feasible.

The mpeg2 transport stream container on the other hand does not need such information and is able to carry a large variety of audio/video combinations, therefore transcoding on the fly to that container offers promise to overcome the above problem. However it does not seem to be possible to feed mpeg2 transport stream container (even with mpeg2 video + AC3 audio) back to TiVo, or at least nobody has figured out how to do it. Hence mpeg2 program stream still remains the only format that can be transcoded to on fly for TiVo playback purposes, or you have to prepare the full TiVo compliant mp4 encoded file before hand such that no transcoding is needed.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #2310
sigpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenaran View Post
has anybody had any luck getting .mts (AVCHD) files to play on streambaby? i don't understand why it doesn't play - it works on ffmpeg/ffplay but doesn't work under streambaby

I can't get it to work with .mts files either. I have StreamBaby installed on a Windows Home Server as a service. It plays some old .mpg files fine, but not my .mts files. I'm also having problems getting it to play some recently copied .avi files made by Windows Movie Maker from an older DV vid cam.

I'm not overly experienced in vid file formats, converting/streaming, etc, and I don't pretend to know how StreamBaby works. Do I need to manually grab some codecs so it can properly convert the vids on the fly to something Tivo can play?

Tivo Premiere, hardwired to my network
StreamBaby running as a service on WHS (Intel e8500, 4 GB RAM, GB ethernet)

*edit

The .mts files don't even show up on screen to select for playing.

When trying to play the .avi file, here is my .log file:

01/27/11 24:17:31 Listener: added factory
01/27/11 24:17:31 Main: streambaby ready & listening.
01/28/11 12:52:57 Listener: 192.168.31.111 icon.png HTTP GET - to factory /streambaby/
01/28/11 12:53:01 Factory: HME receiver connected
01/28/11 12:53:30 Listener: connection to receiver closed
01/28/11 12:53:30 Factory: HME receiver disconnected
01/28/11 12:53:33 Factory: HME receiver connected
01/28/11 12:53:51 Listener: 192.168.31.111 956ba5eb-c2ce-4cd0-b5eb-6398bc64848d.stream HTTP GET - to factory /streambaby/
01/28/11 12:54:21 Listener: 192.168.31.111 956ba5eb-c2ce-4cd0-b5eb-6398bc64848d.stream HTTP GET - to factory /streambaby/
01/28/11 12:54:39 FFmpegExeVideoModule: FFmpeg failed to continue running... Assuming error
01/28/11 12:55:09 Listener: connection to receiver closed
01/28/11 12:55:09 Factory: HME receiver disconnected

Last edited by sigpop : 01-28-2011 at 01:02 PM.
sigpop is offline   Reply With Quote