TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #2101
FlipperJ

@phantom (et al)

There's a later version of Handbrake than 9.4.0? I didn't see that...

I didn't provide some of that info, sorry: I thought some of it was sort of assumed but you're right.

I have a TiVo HD (aren't all Series 3 the same?) and it's connected to my 1080i Sony by HDMI. I don't believe I have locked it into 720P but I'm not sure. HD vs SD - well these are DVDs transcoded so I suppose SD; I haven't figured out how to upscale DVD files.

I did switch the aspect ratio outside of StreamBaby and now I get wide-screen on some mp4/m4v's but with grey horizontal bars (I'll have to figure out how to make those black) but everything looks great, aside from some motion issues. Some videos are now scrunched the other direction with side bars. Oh well.

As for Handbrake settings, I had used the GUI and the 'universal' setting at first. Then I found some other setting suggestions as far as anamorphic settings and motion settings, but the bit rate they suggested (5000) seems way too high. I'd have to dig to find where I saw these suggestions.

I figured the right solution was to encode the files to the HD resolutions like 1280 x 720 but Handbrake doesn't upscale apparently and my source files are DVD's at 720x480.

All my MP4's play nicely in VLC.

If you have a TiVo profile for Handbrake that scales well, doesn't need transcoding when TiVo streams and doesn't show motion stuttering please share! Also if you have a newer build of Handbrake than the one posted at handbrake.fr please let me know.

Thanks for the reply and any help is greatly appreciated!

Flipper
Old 07-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #2102
danmcd

Question Newbie with OpenSolaris

I've seen early on that some people had this working on Solaris 10. I have it on my OpenSolaris home server (mmmmmm... ZFS....).

I've got StreamBaby and FFMPEG working, but StreamBaby complains about not being able to load the native libraries. I installed them in /usr/local/lib as both .a (archive) and I linked them as shared-objects (.so) as well, but StreamBaby still complains. Any library-placement clues would be appreciated.

Also, I have .mov 720p files which are H.264 (stereo, no multi-channel oddness) and should be ready to play, but I get the red-screen and error 0xFFFF (aka. -1 in a 16-bit signed int).

I'm glad to provide more information upon request.

Thanks!
Dan McD.
danmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #2103
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipperJ View Post
@phantom (et al)

There's a later version of Handbrake than 9.4.0? I didn't see that...
Yes, and no. There are nightly builds that come with a lot of warnings. But I've seen on other sites that the nightlies are recommended. Here's the official statement:
Nightly Builds

Postby HandBrake » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:08 pm
We are now sharing nightly builds of HandBrake. If all goes well they will likely replace our snapshot releases.

Warning!
These are not stable releases. They are unstable (and undocumented) code which will one day lead to a stable release of HandBrake 0.9.5. They are only recommended for experienced users and developers.

Quote:
If you have a TiVo profile for Handbrake that scales well, doesn't need transcoding when TiVo streams and doesn't show motion stuttering please share!
No, I don't have any profile. I ran into enough problems similar to yours that I've given up. This stuff just requires too much effort, and I have way too much video to watch from just cable. Sorry not to be more help, I didn't mean to give you false hope when I prompted you for details. As I mentioned, I don't use Streambaby. I was suggesting that the added details would be useful to other people who might be able to help you, and also give you starting places for your own further research.

But, if you have the time to pursue it, don't give up hope. The information is out there. For example, on macrumors.com there are people who give advice on handbrake settings for transcoding to the iPad.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #2104
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
But, if you have the time to pursue it, don't give up hope.
Just to follow up on my own post, here's some stuff I found by a quick search of the handbrake forums. The truth is out there:
When copying or streaming anamorphic content (converted with Handbrake from DVD) to my Series3 TiVo via pyTiVoX or Streambaby, the aspect ratio displayed on my 16:9 TV is never correct.

It goes full width, but for some reason that causes it to compress the picture vertically, giving me black bars on the top and bottom that were NOT there when playing from the DVD.
Doesn't that sound like the problem you're having? Unfortunately I think you've already tried the solution mentioned in that thread.

But you could ask there. You might get more help than here.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #2105
lew

Trying to get captioning to work

Problem Solved.

Last edited by lew : 07-21-2010 at 03:58 PM.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #2106
blobdude

Okay, I got Streambaby to work correctly and can get into the "Stream, Baby, Stream" directory, can get to the "My Videos" folder, but then it says "No entries in this directory."

I have two .avi files and two .mkv files in the folder. Can't figure out what to do from here.
blobdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #2107
RBeatse

Window stays open

After I launch the bat file, the window stays open. I can minimize it but it is still there just waiting for someone to accidentally close it. Is ther any way to set it to run at startup and then minimize to the System tray or just run in the background?

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit if that helps.
RBeatse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #2108
whitepelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBeatse View Post
After I launch the bat file, the window stays open. I can minimize it but it is still there just waiting for someone to accidentally close it. Is ther any way to set it to run at startup and then minimize to the System tray or just run in the background?

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit if that helps.
No idea if it works in Win7 or 64-bit, but there is a batch file to install Streambaby as a service. It's located in <Streambaby directory>\extra\service\win32. I've been running it as a service for quite some time, and it works perfectly.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #2109
RBeatse

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
No idea if it works in Win7 or 64-bit, but there is a batch file to install Streambaby as a service. It's located in <Streambaby directory>\extra\service\win32. I've been running it as a service for quite some time, and it works perfectly.
Thanks. I never would have looked for it. I added it at startup using the Windows Management Console and restarted the computer. I can't see it running in the services under Stream Baby. Can you tell me how it shows on your computer. It is also possible that I did it wrong or it doesn't work on Win7 or 64 bit (but I bet its me!).

Thanks again!!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #2110
Kershek

Try running that batch file in an administrator command prompt to install the service. If you find trouble with the service starting, you may have to have it run as a user with administrator privileges instead of local system.
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #2111
RBeatse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershek View Post
Try running that batch file in an administrator command prompt to install the service. If you find trouble with the service starting, you may have to have it run as a user with administrator privileges instead of local system.
Thanks. I had not run the service install. I only set the service startup to happen and of course it had failed since it was not installed. I knew it was me!! Thanks for your assistance!!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #2112
FlipperJ

@Phantom Gremlin

I had to set aside my efforts for a bit - life got in the way. Thanks for your responses. I was able to transcode my movies at a higher bit rate using various tweaks to the Handbrake settings and now I'm really pleased with the results. Of course transcoding my whole collection is going to take a while but at least it's working well.

The aspect ratio thing was the Tivo settings. I never had to adjust these settings before, the screen proportions always looked correct. Lesson learned.

Next I'd like to see a cover art based interface only because my family got used to Media Center in Win7. How hard could that be?

Streambaby works on the Premiere? I still don't get how the single card slot will work if the cable company doesn't have dual cards yet in my area. No dual tuner for me if I switch?!? But that's another topic.

Anyway, thanks for the help!!

Flipper (Bryan)
Old 07-27-2010, 02:18 AM   #2113
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I still don't get how the single card slot will work if the cable company doesn't have dual cards yet in my area.
They're called "multistream" cards (or as TiVo regrettably prefers to call them, "M Cards"), not "dual" -- they actually can handle up to six simultaneous streams each, although the TiVo can only do two. Your cable company probably does have multistream cards, regardless of what they tell you -- I wouldn't expect to contact anyone competent to know the answer to that question over the phone -- since single-stream cards haven't been made for years now. But if they really don't, then the Premiere in fact won't work, since it won't take single-stream cards (or so I've heard; I haven't tested that).

Request a CableCard when you contact them, and don't confuse their tiny brains by asking about single- vs. multistream. If it doesn't work, cancel the installation, return your Premiere, whatever. There's no way to ensure everything will work out beforehand. (Heck, that's true even if they do bring a multistream card.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #2114
FlipperJ

Oh, yes, sorry - multistream. Well, I'm still considering the Premiere: one hurdle is Streambaby compatibility. Also deal breakers would be no multistream cards from my cable company and possibly the inability to upgrade the hard drive, although this has less importance now that the capacities from stock units are more generous - and streambaby allows my PC to be an archive of stuff I wanted to save anyway.

Thanks for the correction wmcbrine. 'They took my stain'? Let me guess: a "House" reference, the reporter with brain surgery? Way off?
Old 07-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #2115
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Well, I'm still considering the Premiere: one hurdle is Streambaby compatibility.
Yes, it's compatible. In fact it works better than ever, since the Premiere is faster.

Quote:
'They took my stain'? Let me guess: a "House" reference, the reporter with brain surgery?
Yep. I wanted to put "Couldn't tackle the bear", but it wouldn't fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #2116
FlipperJ

Sweet...

I grapple average!

Cheers,

Flipper

"In this universe effect follows cause. I've complained about it but—" House
Old 07-31-2010, 03:45 PM   #2117
pmanse

Everything's (almost) working fine!

My TiVo sees the directory but not any entries in it. The log seems to tell the story:

07/31/10 16:38:36 StreamBabyConfig: WorkingDir: "C:\Users\Peter\Downloads\Streambaby"
07/31/10 16:38:36 StreamBabyConfig: StreamBabyDir: C:\Users\Peter\Downloads\Streambaby
07/31/10 16:38:36 StreamBabyConfig: CurDir: C:\Users\Peter\Downloads\Streambaby\native
07/31/10 16:38:37 FFmpegJavaConfig$1: Loading avutil, default: avutil-49
07/31/10 16:38:37 FFmpegJavaConfig$1: Error attempting toload ffmpeg libraries: Unable to load library 'avutil-49': The specified module could not be found.

07/31/10 16:38:37 FFmpegJavaVideoModule: Unable to load FFmpeg native libraries
07/31/10 16:38:37 FFmpegExeVideoModule: FFmpegPath: C:\Users\Peter\Downloads\Streambaby\native\ffmpeg.exe
07/31/10 16:38:37 FFmpegExeVideoModule: FFmpegExeModule: Loaded
07/31/10 16:38:37 StreamBabyMain: STARTING StreamBaby v0.29...
07/31/10 16:38:37 Main: args= start=true
07/31/10 16:38:37 Main: args= loader=sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@35a16869
07/31/10 16:38:38 Listener: config=com.tivo.hme.host.util.Config@52cc95d logger=com.unwiredappeal.tivo.utils.Log$ILoggerImpl@3f57fb52
07/31/10 16:38:38 Listener: factoryList=[StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,Stream, Baby, Stream]]
07/31/10 16:38:38 Listener: factory=StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,Stream, Baby, Stream]
07/31/10 16:38:38 Listener: name=/streambaby/
07/31/10 16:38:38 Listener:
07/31/10 16:38:38 Listener: added factory
07/31/10 16:38:38 Main: factory=StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,Stream, Baby, Stream]
07/31/10 16:38:38 Main: MDNS: [Deleted so I could post this reply]
07/31/10 16:38:38 Main: streambaby ready & listening.
07/31/10 16:38:38 Main: mdns_type=_tivo-hme._tcp.local. factory=StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,Stream, Baby, Stream] port=7290
07/31/10 16:38:43 TiVoListener: addService: Living Room
07/31/10 16:38:43 TiVoListener: Updating service: _http._tcp.local. (Living Room)
07/31/10 16:38:43 TiVoListener: resolveService: _http._tcp.local. (Living Room)
07/31/10 16:38:43 TiVoListener: jmDns found TiVo: Living Room, tsn: 6480011801F8CD3
07/31/10 16:38:51 ShutdownHook: Cleaning up...

The .dlls are there. What's up?

(64-bit Windows 7)
pmanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #2118
bluehz

Answering my own question here - the video straight off the iPhone that will not play with streambaby has a CODEC ID = qt. A simple manipulation of that Codec ID using MP4Box had the video up and playing in seconds using streambaby.

MP4Box -isma INPUT.mp4 -out OUTPUT.mp4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehz View Post
I have pulled an HD video straight off my iPhone 4 - no processing whatsoever but it will not play with my working copy of streambaby. I'm hoping its a simple issue or someone can offer some advice. See mediainfo below:

Code:
General
Complete name                    : IMG_0005.mp4
Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : QuickTime
Codec ID                         : qt  
File size                        : 4.76 MiB
Duration                         : 3s 691ms
Overall bit rate                 : 10.8 Mbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-07-04 23:38:33
Tagged date                      : UTC 2010-07-04 23:38:37
Writing application              : 4.0
Writing library                  : Apple QuickTime
Model                            : iPhone
                                 : +27.3170-082.5355+014.141/
Make                             : Apple

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : Baseline@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC           : No
Format settings, ReFrames        : 1 frame
Codec ID                         : avc1
Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                         : 3s 670ms
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 10.8 Mbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16/9
Frame rate mode                  : Variable
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Minimum frame rate               : 28.571 fps
Maximum frame rate               : 31.579 fps
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.391
Stream size                      : 4.73 MiB (99%)
Title                            : Core Media Video

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version                   : Version 4
Format profile                   : LC
Format settings, SBR             : No
Codec ID                         : 40
Duration                         : 3s 691ms
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 63.6 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                 : 64.0 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 1 channel
Channel positions                : C
Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz
Resolution                       : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 28.7 KiB (1%)
Title                            : Core Media Audio

bluehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #2119
bluehz

Streambaby-0.29 High CPU and Memory While Idle
Why does Streambaby suck so much cpu and memory while sitting completely idle? Running headless Ubuntu 9.10 (up to date) and Streambaby-0.29, while sitting completely idle - checking top - I see 21 instances of the following process line:

2900 root 20 0 451M 43496 5140 S 0.0 4.5 0:00.00 java -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xmx256m -jar /usr/local/share/tivo/streambaby/jbin/streambaby.jar

Each one of those 21 processes is using 451M of VIRTUAL MEMORY and 4.5% CPU.... that seems excessive for an idle app.
bluehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #2120
tgrim1

does anyone know of a good program to add black bars to a video so that it is 1280x720 and streams correctly to the tivo?
tgrim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #2121
ebf

I just loaded this on my new HDXL. Its great. I've got two questions. I found this post on the streambaby site, but can't figure out if the implemented delete option is actually supposed to be on the "play" screen. It doesn't appear there for me, but I can get to it from "more".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminsehic
I've added this mod to Streambaby which is disabled by default and can be enabled by
using setting the below option to true in the .ini file:

streambaby.delete=true

When enabled it adds "Delete now" item in the list in Play screen.
Also, I swear someone asked about the location of the stream buffer somewhere in this thread, but I can't find it now. Where is the stream buffer stored? If I pause the stream, eventually, the time bar will fill up and the whole program will cache. Makes me wonder what the actual difference is between this streaming and pyTiVo transfers.

Thanks.
ebf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #2122
superflysocal

having problems trying o get 2 instances of streambaby working on two different PCs. I read that you need to have different port numbers, if so what should the second port number be?
superflysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #2123
bsmith1051

Seems like a lot of excellent questions have gone unanswered recently, so I'll tempt fate and add my own?

My setup: Desktop computer running Win7 and with dual-core 2.5 GHz Intel CPU. Serving h.264 720p DD51 MKVs to a Tivo HD. In general, it streams great but the Tivo needs to stop and rebuffer a lot. Lowering the Video Quality to 5 Mbps doesn't help, that I can see. The CPU is only running 30-40% and Task Manager only shows 8 Mbps (then 5 Mbps) going out the NIC.

Q1: Is there a way to make Streambaby use more CPU so that it streams faster?

Q2: If I try to fast-forward, the preview graphic shows-up ok but then I lose the connection when I try to resume playback (there's an error msg in the Streambaby log and the Tivo eventually times-out). Is this a known problem?
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #2124
tgrim1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith1051 View Post
Seems like a lot of excellent questions have gone unanswered recently, so I'll tempt fate and add my own?

My setup: Desktop computer running Win7 and with dual-core 2.5 GHz Intel CPU. Serving h.264 720p DD51 MKVs to a Tivo HD. In general, it streams great but the Tivo needs to stop and rebuffer a lot. Lowering the Video Quality to 5 Mbps doesn't help, that I can see. The CPU is only running 30-40% and Task Manager only shows 8 Mbps (then 5 Mbps) going out the NIC.

Q1: Is there a way to make Streambaby use more CPU so that it streams faster?

Q2: If I try to fast-forward, the preview graphic shows-up ok but then I lose the connection when I try to resume playback (there's an error msg in the Streambaby log and the Tivo eventually times-out). Is this a known problem?
Its been my understanding that it is not streaming mkv files, it is transcoding them with ffmpeg with a loss in quality.
tgrim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #2125
nathanm412

I would like to thank the author of this program for the great work. I have been using StreamBaby for over a year now and it has been great. I didn't realize how important it has been until my wife called me at work to tell me that the Tivo was no longer working. I come home to find that the computer was off and she couldn't find streambaby.
nathanm412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #2126
herbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehz View Post
Streambaby-0.29 High CPU and Memory While Idle
Why does Streambaby suck so much cpu and memory while sitting completely idle? Running headless Ubuntu 9.10 (up to date) and Streambaby-0.29, while sitting completely idle - checking top - I see 21 instances of the following process line:

2900 root 20 0 451M 43496 5140 S 0.0 4.5 0:00.00 java -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xmx256m -jar /usr/local/share/tivo/streambaby/jbin/streambaby.jar

Each one of those 21 processes is using 451M of VIRTUAL MEMORY and 4.5% CPU.... that seems excessive for an idle app.
In Linux it's hard to distinguish from processes and threads of a process. When you see many listed with the same specs (vmem, cpu, etc.) it's likely just threads of a process. There's nothing to worry about, only one is running. Now that said, 451M is a pretty high memory size for a java VM that's set -Xmx256m..
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #2127
dbz33

Hey guys. May have to go back to my HTPC for my DVD/BLU-RAY playback. Most of my movies after converting to MP4 with handbrake have gray bars on the top and bottom of the screen. I tried a few different settings I read online but they are still there. Space is not a problem have a 15TB server. I only converted to make them into a Tivo friendly MP4 container. Any ideas?
dbz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #2128
Rick in LA

No subtitles via push

Non-hardcoded subtitles display perfectly when streaming my .avi but fail to appear when pushing the file. Is this a known limitation or is some .ini tweaking in order, I wonder.

And while I'm at it, I noticed HTML tags for italics on subtitle dialogue that, well, should be italicized (e.g. dialogue coming from a movie our character is watching). Not a dealbreaker, that, but a curiosity.

Thanks for any guidance.
Rick in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #2129
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in LA View Post
Non-hardcoded subtitles display perfectly when streaming my .avi but fail to appear when pushing the file. Is this a known limitation or is some .ini tweaking in order, I wonder.
Two totally different mechanisms. Streaming captions are done via HME text overlay. Captions in transferred videos have to be muxed in, or else sent as open captions (rendered onto the video). There are programs to do that, but you'll have to do it manually AFAIK.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #2130
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Two totally different mechanisms. Streaming captions are done via HME text overlay. Captions in transferred videos have to be muxed in, or else sent as open captions (rendered onto the video). There are programs to do that, but you'll have to do it manually AFAIK.
Agreed. Hardcoded subs/captions can be easily done with avisynth. There was someone (I believe on the pytivo forum) that attempted to do what you are asking by building an avs script for each video and opening that rather than the video itself. That would hardcode the subs while ffmpeg transcodes the video for upload.

I pre-generate my hardsub'd videos. I find it easier plus I run pytivo on a Tonidoplug which doesn't really have the power needed for on-the-fly transcoding.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote