TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #1831
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfryar View Post
Now another 0xffffff error that comes up is after watching a large bitrate blur ray conversion. This means that Streambaby is rebuffering 5-10 times in a movie. Occassionally it will fail to restream and give that error. In this case it is the TiVo's webserver crashing and it has to be restarted. moyekj's kmttg tool has an option to force the webserver to recycle and it seems to take care of this other issue.

Hope these tips help you track it down.
The 0xffff problem has been around with streambaby since the beginning and I've never been able to track down exactly what causes it. It seems to be some kind of timeout related issue with the TiVo because either a reboot of the TiVo or just waiting some amount of time (usually seems to be 20-30 minutes for me) makes it go away.

It's been a while since I have had the issue myself, but I was wondering if anyone had any information on the following:

1. Is it only a problem with one of the two video formats streambaby uses (mpeg2/mp4) or does it happen with both? (I consider anything that is transcoded to mpeg2 to be mpeg2, as I don't think it is an issue with the transcoding process on the streambaby...)
2. Does the kmttg "web server" reset always fix the problem, or only sometimes? (For some reason I seem to recall moyekj saying it only fixed it on some occasions)
3. Does anyone know of an easy way to reproduce the issue?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #1832
Hyrax

I've a question for which I've searched this thread and still do not have an answer. I've recorded HD shows on my Tivo and moved them to my PC to make room for more shows on my Tivo. I've compressed these shows (commercials and all)to about 1/3 of their size while converting them to MP4 format. I know I can stream them, but wonder if it is possible to copy a block of these MP4 files to the Tivo? For example, if I decide I want to watch a couple of the MP4 episodes of Dollouse, can I copy them to the Tivo in the afternoon and watch them later? I tried to read up on "Pushing", but could not figure out how to use it - or if it did what I wanted.

Thanks

Last edited by Hyrax : 12-29-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #1833
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I've a question for which I've searched this thread and still do not have an answer. I've recorded HD shows on my Tivo and moved them to my PC to make room for more shows on my Tivo. I've compressed these shows (commercials and all)to about 1/3 of their size while converting them to MP4 format. I know I can stream them, but wonder if it is possible to copy a block of these MP4 files to the Tivo? For example, if I decide I want to watch a couple of the MP4 episodes of Dollouse, can I copy them to the Tivo in the afternoon and watch them later? I tried to read up on "Pushing", but could not figure out how to use it - or if it did what I wanted.

Thanks
I think "Push" is indeed what you are looking for. I just added a Wiki section to the streambaby site that has instructions on how to activate "push" for streambaby. (Basically involves adding two entries to the streambaby.ini):
http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/...hConfiguration

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #1834
Hyrax

Thanks!
Streambaby is wonderful, btw. It adds a capability that is one of the best reasons to own a Tivo instead of the other DVRs.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #1835
Hyrax

I've a feature request. Toss it in the wastebasket if you've better things to do. Your program is already great, so this isn't necessary.

Is there anyway to Push files into user defined folders? I'd like to end up with something simple like movies going into a "Movies" folder, football going into "Sports" folder, or something along those lines. It would seem necessary for us (users) to create a file with meta data in it, so if I've a file called "Football.mp4" - I would need to create a file called "Football.meta".

Thanks
Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #1836
tnltracy

will check this out for sure

looking to stream from my home network storage device
tnltracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #1837
kearygriffin

Quote:
I've a feature request. Toss it in the wastebasket if you've better things to do. Your program is already great, so this isn't necessary.

Is there anyway to Push files into user defined folders? I'd like to end up with something simple like movies going into a "Movies" folder, football going into "Sports" folder, or something along those lines. It would seem necessary for us (users) to create a file with meta data in it, so if I've a file called "Football.mp4" - I would need to create a file called "Football.meta".

Thanks
Streambaby supports "pyTivo" format metadata, and does support using folders for "Push" based on the metadata. Although the pyTivo metadata format supports quite a few parameters which streambaby supports, if you simply want a basic one to force the push to go into a specific folder, for a movie named "mymovie.mp4" create a text file in the same directory called:
mymovie.mp4.txt
and in that file
Code:
title: Name of folder
seriesTitle: Name of folder
episodeTitle: Name of movie
isEpisode: true
The above is typically used by the TiVo to identify "series", so a typical .txt file may look like:
Code:
title: The X-Files
seriesTitle: The X-Files
episodeTitle: Dreamland
The above is mostly from memory and a little bit from looking at the code, so if anyone thinks this is not quite right please feel free to correct me.

You can probably search for "pytivo metadata" to find more information, and also probably "pytivo push folders" as pyTivo and streambaby are relatively similar as far as how pushed shows end up in folders. (Although it may be the case that pyTivo supports the seriesId metadata tag to cause folders to be created whereas I don't think streambaby does)

I also wish I could tell you exactly the difference between title and seriesTitle but I can't really remember when each is used (both in streambaby and on the TiVo).

Hope this helps a little bit.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #1838
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Streambaby supports "pyTivo" format metadata, and does support using folders for "Push" based on the metadata. Although the pyTivo metadata format supports quite a few parameters which streambaby supports, if you simply want a basic one to force the push to go into a specific folder, for a movie named "mymovie.mp4" create a text file in the same directory called:
mymovie.mp4.txt
and in that file
Code:
The above is typically used by the TiVo to identify "series", so a typical .txt file may look like:
Code:
title: The X-Files
seriesTitle: The X-Files
episodeTitle: Dreamland
The above is mostly from memory and a little bit from looking at the code, so if anyone thinks this is not quite right please feel free to correct me.

You can probably search for "pytivo metadata" to find more information, and also probably "pytivo push folders" as pyTivo and streambaby are relatively similar as far as how pushed shows end up in folders. (Although it may be the case that pyTivo supports the seriesId metadata tag to cause folders to be created whereas I don't think streambaby does)

I also wish I could tell you exactly the difference between title and seriesTitle but I can't really remember when each is used (both in streambaby and on the TiVo).

Hope this helps a little bit.
I think another keyword to be aware of is seriesID. I used an arbitrary number to create my own "series". Any file I want to go into the TiVo folder for my "series" uses that same seriesID number.

Code:
seriesID: 12345678

Last edited by orangeboy : 12-29-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added to example
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #1839
Hyrax

Thank you, Keary. I"ll look up pyTivo metadata, but this sounds like exactly what I need.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:05 AM   #1840
alexnvrmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnltracy View Post
looking to stream from my home network storage device
You're looking to do the same thing that I'm doing right now, wanting to stream media files from your NAS server. It's pretty simple. In the .ini file, just point to those directories on the server. I would at first recommend creating a share on the PC you're running Streambaby off of to the directory or directories that house your files. Make it the E or F drive. Then, point it to that directory that houses your files.
alexnvrmnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #1841
superflysocal

Quote:
I convert 6 Channel AAC audio down to stereo using the MeGUI package on windows.

I think it uses faac under the covers but works great. It also has a front end for MP4Box to do the remuxing (It does not demux through the GUI). Just remember to select ISMA mode on the mux.

If you still have issues with the black screen, make sure the audio bitrate and frequency are set correctly.
so what audio bitrate and frequency should i set it at?

Also what is the best programto use to go from mp4+aac to mp4+ac3, or even better to mp4 with 2 audio stream, one ac3, and another aac

Last edited by superflysocal : 01-01-2010 at 05:23 PM.
superflysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #1842
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post

Also what is the best programto use to go from mp4+aac to mp4+ac3, or even better to mp4 with 2 audio stream, one ac3, and another aac
See the wiki for the audio bitrates that the TiVo supports.

http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/..._compatibility

As for programs.. I use a GUI called MeGui which is a bundle of a lot of different tools. With that tool you can easily set up audio profiles to convert to AC3 multichannel audio as well as mux multiple audio streams into a MP4.

As Keary noted, Streambaby only streams the first audio channel so make that channel TiVo compatible.

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #1843
emil10001

I've been searching to try to fix this for the last couple of days, but I haven't had any luck. I'm running Arch Linux x86_64, with Sun's jre 6 and I get the following error:

Code:
$ ./streambaby
Initializing StreamBaby svn-r262...
java.net.UnknownHostException: myhost: myhost
        at java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost(InetAddress.java:1353)
        at com.tivo.hme.host.http.server.HttpServer.start(HttpServer.java:58)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.host.Listener.<init>(Listener.java:103)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.host.Main.<init>(Main.java:137)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.StreamBabyMain.main(StreamBabyMain.java:152)
error: myhost: myhost
usage: Main [--port <port>] [--ip <ip>] class
I have tried this with a couple different versions of java, as well as an streambaby 0.27 and I keep getting the same error. I was able to get this to work on a nearly identical previous install, though something must be slightly different on this one.

When I googled it, all it came up with were people saying that the following option may be the cause of the problems (from the streambaby script):

Code:
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
Though, even when I try to remove that option, I still get the same results. I didn't find anyone else getting this error in relation to streambaby when I sarched, so I'm kind of at a loss for what to do.
emil10001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #1844
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil10001 View Post
I've been searching to try to fix this for the last couple of days, but I haven't had any luck. I'm running Arch Linux x86_64, with Sun's jre 6 and I get the following error:

Code:
$ ./streambaby
Initializing StreamBaby svn-r262...
java.net.UnknownHostException: myhost: myhost
        at java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost(InetAddress.java:1353)
I think this problem is going to be related to the hostname of the linux box not being able to be resolved. So your /etc/hostname file (and the command 'hostname') looks like it is returning "myhost", but when Java is trying to resolve "myhost" into an IP address it is failing. (You will probably have the same results at the command line without java. Type "hostname" to see what your linux boxes hostname is, and then trying to "ping" that hostname. My guess is that it will fail)

The hostname on my linux box is "ubuntu-laptop", so I have the following line in my /etc/hosts file so linux can resolve it:
Code:
192.168.1.37	ubuntu-laptop
I would look at your other installations that worked and check the hostname and /etc/hosts file to see how you had it setup previously.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #1845
emil10001

Thank you! That took care of it. This is probably one of the most useful apps that I have, so I'm glad to get it back up and running.
emil10001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #1846
jctivo

I just wanted to say Thanks.

I have been using Streambaby for streaming movies from a desktop computer hard drive, connected external drive and network drive. Works great.

I really appreciate it.

Tivo Concept is the best thing since: Remote Control, Refrigerator & AC
jctivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #1847
Allanon

Is there a way to sort video files by episode number, original air date, or file date? I have a series of about 40 videos from 2 seasons and they all have .txt metadata files associated with them. I would like to watch them in order so is there a way to sort them so they will be in the correct episode order without having to rename the files?
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #1848
Hyrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post

Also what is the best program to use to go from mp4+aac to mp4+ac3, or even better to mp4 with 2 audio stream, one ac3, and another aac
I've found that mp4 containers with AC3 audio are not universally played by all devices. For example, my PS3 will not play them (I get video with no sound). I also get audio dropouts on my Tivo when I try to play them (streamed or pushed). The audio dropouts may be a problem with my receiver or something else on my end, but it is much safer to use 2 channel aac encoded audio. You may want to play the files on something else other than the Tivo at some point. There are some shows where you may think you need 6 channel sound, but try to keep the bit-rate low.

The following has audio dropouts on my Tivo, and is silent on my PS3:

Code:
Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : Base Media
Codec ID                         : isom
File size                        : 2.28 GiB
Duration                         : 1h 0mn
Overall bit rate                 : 5 444 Kbps
Writing application              : Lavf52.31.0
Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID                         : ac-3
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                       : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 165 MiB (7%)
Here's the info on the same file that does play well on both devices:
Code:

Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : Base Media
Codec ID                         : isom
File size                        : 2.59 GiB
Overall bit rate                 : 6 179 Kbps

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version                   : Version 4
Format profile                   : LC
Format settings, SBR             : No
Codec ID                         : 40
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 128 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 136 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                       : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 55.1 MiB (2%)

As for the best program, there are many choices. It sort of depends on how many options you want. You might want to try kmttg and select one of the encoding options. I edited the PS3 based options for a higher bitrate (5k instead of 2k) and they seem to play fine on my Tivo, PC, and PS3. kmttg is good for setting up lots of files to encode and then letting it run over night. What I use the most often, however, is RipBot. It gives me more control, but is slower (no fast and easy way to give it a list of files and tell it to process them all). The aforementioned MeGui is another good choice; it gives you lots of control, but you have to know more about encoding to take full advantage of it.
Edit: I believe Nero Encode will also produce an MP4 file that may work on the Tivo, but I've never tried it.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #1849
Hyrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
Is there a way to sort video files by episode number, original air date, or file date? I have a series of about 40 videos from 2 seasons and they all have .txt metadata files associated with them. I would like to watch them in order so is there a way to sort them so they will be in the correct episode order without having to rename the files?
I don't think you can. Even though Tivo knows this on the the recordings it makes, it doesn't offer it as an option. I rename the shows so they sort properly.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #1850
NJ Webel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
I title my server files so they are in order, and my metadata lists the episode number immediately before the episode title. For instance, if I were to have 2 episodes of Star Trek: DS9, the name of the file itself would be:

DS9.S04.EP09.mpg and
DS9.S04.EP10.mpg, where "DS9" is the series title, "Sxx" represents the season, and "EPxx" is the episode number. Both of those files would be in a secondary sub-folder labeled "Season 04" within a sub-folder labeled "DS9" within a main folder labeled "Star Trek". (That way, when I put the next gen on there at a later time, I select the Star Trek folder and select either the next gen folder or DS9 folder, etc.)

In the metadata for DS9.S04.EP09.mpg, the Title would be: "Ep 09: The Sword of Kahless". This is critical as it lists via this title if metadata is present. The series title would be: "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and the episode title would be: "The Sword of Kahless" (the rest of the metadata is as normal).

Likewise, for episode DS9.S04.EP10.mpg:

Title: Ep 10: Our Man Bashir
SeriesTitle: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
EpisodeTitle: Our Man Bashir
etc.

On the TiVo in the Season 04 folder, it will then have a listing on my screen that looks like:

Quote:
Ep 09: The Sword of Kahless
Ep 10: Our Man Bashir
etc.
Works great for me.

Last edited by NJ Webel : 01-04-2010 at 01:54 PM.
NJ Webel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #1851
Hyrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Webel View Post
Both of those files would be in a secondary sub-folder labeled "Season 04" within a sub-folder labeled "DS9" within a main folder labeled "Star Trek". (That way, when I put the next gen on there at a later time, I select the Star Trek folder and select either the next gen folder or DS9 folder, etc.)

In the metadata for DS9.S04.EP09.mpg, the Title would be: "Ep 09: The Sword of Kahless". This is critical as it lists via this title if metadata is present. The series title would be: "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and the episode title would be: "The Sword of Kahless" (the rest of the metadata is as normal).
I'm having trouble creating folders and subfolders. What do you have in your metadata that tells Tivo to put the files in the subfolder Season 04 of the subfolder DS9 of the folder Star Trek?
Thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #1852
NJ Webel

Quote:
I'm having trouble creating folders and subfolders. What do you have in your metadata that tells Tivo to put the files in the subfolder Season 04 of the subfolder DS9 of the folder Star Trek?
Thanks
The folders are created just like any computer folder is, it's just a file location for your videos. In other words, when you set up Streambaby (and pyTivo) to "see" your videos folder, any folder you create or place into that video folder will also be "seen" by the application. The metadata does not specify file location, you physically place the video contents into a created folder.
NJ Webel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #1853
Hyrax

Thanks. I misunderstood. I thought you were pushing the files onto the Tivo.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #1854
Yog

Does streambaby (or probably more accurately, Tivo) support files containing subtitle streams when streaming a file, or pushing a file to the Tivo?

For instance, if I encoded an mp4 file with h.264 video and ac3 sound, could I also have a subtitle stream, and would the Tivo display it?
Yog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #1855
MitchelleSander

Thanks for this thread!

MitchelleSander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #1856
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog View Post
Does streambaby (or probably more accurately, Tivo) support files containing subtitle streams when streaming a file, or pushing a file to the Tivo?

For instance, if I encoded an mp4 file with h.264 video and ac3 sound, could I also have a subtitle stream, and would the Tivo display it?
It appears that Streambaby strips the embedded subtitle file off of any MP4s (I do not know if the TiVo would support them anyways).

But you can have a .srt file in the same directory as your MP4 file and use the "Aspect" remote button to toggle the subtitles on and off.

So if you movie is

SomeMovie.mp4

The SRT file would be named

SomeMovie.srt

Good luck,

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #1857
Yog

Quote:
It appears that Streambaby strips the embedded subtitle file off of any MP4s (I do not know if the TiVo would support them anyways).

But you can have a .srt file in the same directory as your MP4 file and use the "Aspect" remote button to toggle the subtitles on and off.

So if you movie is

SomeMovie.mp4

The SRT file would be named

SomeMovie.srt
Hrm. I wonder if this is also true if you use streambaby to "push" the file to the Tivo?

Also, if the file is transcoded to a format which doesn't require transcoding, and it's streamed to the tivo "directly", I wonder if the tivo will even pay attention to any embedded subtitle stream?

I'll have to give the srt method a try. I didn't know about it. Didn't see it documented. I managed to use mkvextract to pull the subtitles out of the original mkv into an SRT file. Hopefully that will work!

Will give it a try.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #1858
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog View Post
Hrm. I wonder if this is also true if you use streambaby to "push" the file to the Tivo?

Also, if the file is transcoded to a format which doesn't require transcoding, and it's streamed to the tivo "directly", I wonder if the tivo will even pay attention to any embedded subtitle stream?

I'll have to give the srt method a try. I didn't know about it. Didn't see it documented. I managed to use mkvextract to pull the subtitles out of the original mkv into an SRT file. Hopefully that will work!

Will give it a try.
It's not the TiVo that is displaying the captions. streambaby reads the srt file and adds the captions as an overlay to the video as it streams. Hence that is also why if you want to control font size & positioning you do so from streambaby config.
Hence it only works if you are using the "stream" function. For "push" you are simply sending the file to the TiVo and I don't believe TiVo supports captions for non-mpeg2 files.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #1859
Yog

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It's not the TiVo that is displaying the captions. streambaby reads the srt file and adds the captions as an overlay to the video as it streams. Hence that is also why if you want to control font size & positioning you do so from streambaby config.
Hence it only works if you are using the "stream" function. For "push" you are simply sending the file to the TiVo and I don't believe TiVo supports captions for non-mpeg2 files.
Ah OK. I tried this and it worked fine with my mp4 file. So this seems a viable solution. I wasn't sure how it worked, whether the Tivo itself was reading the srt file in a separate stream, or whether SB was feeding it to the tivo in some manner (I guess the latter). Fine points I guess, since either way it's a functionality that is (thankfully) built into the Tivo that SB is taking advantage of.

I was hoping that the Tivo would do the captions if it had the file on disk and didn't have to rely on the streaming protocol. But I guess no dice unless it's an MPEG 2 program stream? So the choices are huuge mpeg2 files with captions, or to use the srt method and stream. Kind of lame, since while streaming works, it makes seeking through movies and so forth a bit "clumsy". Of course, "pushing" is equally painful, since it takes forever, especially with huge mpeg2 files (the movie in question expanded from 7 to 9GB on conversion from h.264 -> mpeg2, and what seemed about an hour, maybe longer, to push).

More and more I'm thinking of getting something like a Popcorn hour or some other media tank, or HTPC, since my Xbox 360 has its own problems with this sort of thing, and the Tivo, while doing better, obviously has its own issues. It'd be nice if I could have something that would just "play the damn file" with all the features it'd have on a PC.

EDIT: I constructed an mp4 file with added captions by using ffmeg to transcode the video and audio (h.264 + DTS, so the video didn't really need it but audio did) to mp4/h.264/ac3 5.1, then used mkvextract to pull the captions out of the mkv as an srt file, then used mp4box to add the captions back to the mp4 file, and pushed it to the tivo using SB. At first, I was excited, since the CC option on the tivo display bar was "lit" and I could flip it to on, but alas, the captions didn't display. :sigh:

Last edited by Yog : 01-05-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #1860
moyekj

Yeah I came to conclusion a while ago that TiVo (at least current incarnation) doesn't really make for a good general purpose media player due to limited codec support and slow networking speeds as well as some of the remaining limitations of streaming (especially the 1.1 GB buffer limit). I don't really use streambaby or even pyTivo much at all anymore. I've spent much more time tinkering/exploring than actually using the tools. A networked Blu Ray player with Netflix streaming & DLNA support is starting to look a lot more attractive but the price points are still a little too high for my taste.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote