TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2009, 05:55 AM   #1741
Len McRiddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshackelford View Post
success!!!! that was what was wrong with mine. i struggled for months trying to get that to work. worth every bit of a beer for the steer. thanks len. you are one fine fellow. good karma to you.
Excellent. Glad you got it running.
Len McRiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #1742
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozat View Post
Does streambaby not support .smi files? Is there something else I have to do first?
Nope, just SRT files are supported at this time. Just ensure it has the same name as the movie minus the extension.

Ie

MyMovie.mp4
MyMovie.srt

Enjoy,

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #1743
BrianVeg

Windows 7 64 bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Clayton View Post
I set the .ini IP to my IP and StreamBaby ran fine with no errors, ready and listening.

Still no sign of StreamBaby on the Tivo

Turned windows firewall completely off and still no-go. Maybe it's a windows 7 issue.
I have a similar problem with Windows 7, except that I can see the StreamBaby entry on the Tivo - but I can only see the top level directory. I have:

- turned off my FW
- Enabled Multicasting on my router
- disabled IPv6
- Bound my IP Address to Streambaby

But I cannot get past the top level directory.

Any Help??
BrianVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #1744
PaulS

I've been using StreamBaby with Win7 64-bit for a few months now (beta, RC and official) without issue.

Could it be a file/directory permissions issue ?
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #1745
superflysocal

This may be more of a general Tivo question, but is there a way to directly access and start streambaby using a remote control shorcut?
superflysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #1746
tragus

I'm running streambaby 0.27 on a Gentoo Linux box. It has two network interfaces ...32.13 and ...42.13. No matter what I put in the ini file or what I use for --ip, it always binds to the first address. Am I missing something?
tragus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #1747
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianVeg View Post
I have a similar problem with Windows 7, except that I can see the StreamBaby entry on the Tivo - but I can only see the top level directory. I have:

- turned off my FW
- Enabled Multicasting on my router
- disabled IPv6
- Bound my IP Address to Streambaby

But I cannot get past the top level directory.

Any Help??
Try running as administrator to get passed the UAC ? I think you can right click on the icon and chose properties, then find the allways run as administrator, it is probably blocking access to drives, had same problem running winmfs on my win7 box, hope it works Im running it just fine but didnt have to do what I just suggested? Are you running the latest version?
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #1748
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragus View Post
I'm running streambaby 0.27 on a Gentoo Linux box. It has two network interfaces ...32.13 and ...42.13. No matter what I put in the ini file or what I use for --ip, it always binds to the first address. Am I missing something?
Not missing anything-- 0.27 didn't do the right thing when trying to bind to the specified IP address.

Try the latest SVN version, it should bind to the correct one. (the ip= value in the INI file. I haven't tested using --ip for a long time so I can't say for sure whether or not it still works)
http://streambaby.googlecode.com/fil...y-svn-r262.zip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #1749
sandjam

Cant get it to run

Hey Is there a troubleshooting page somewhere for a novice to get streambaby to work? I'm running windows vista 64bit have edited files to tell the app where videos are,have newest java installed, did everything google pages said to do but it just doesnt run, says Java is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.
sandjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #1750
bsmith1051

Just getting started and I think I have an easy-to-reproduce bug? My initial test was a 720p h.264 DTS file in an MKV container. Latest streambaby 0.27 on WinXP-SP3 with JRE 1.6.0_17. The .INI is totally generic, with just a video folder specified, i.e., everything else is on defaults.

My Tivo S3 immediately detected Streambaby (yeah!) and started playing the file using 'Same' quality, but the video was stuttering and only running about 10fps. I checked the CPU utilization and my dual-2.6 X2 was only reporting 40%. So I stopped the playback on the Tivo, and then restarted it with "Highest (5mbps)" quality. At this point Streambaby crashed.

Is this a bug?

Also, what steps should I take to fix my stuttering playback? I'm looking into tools to pre-convert my files to MP4 and DD5.1, and I'm hopeful that'll fix the problem.
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #1751
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjam View Post
Hey Is there a troubleshooting page somewhere for a novice to get streambaby to work? I'm running windows vista 64bit have edited files to tell the app where videos are,have newest java installed, did everything google pages said to do but it just doesnt run, says Java is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.
In your streambaby.bat, there is a line that runs java followed by a bunch of parameters. If java.exe is not in your path (meaning you cannot open up a command prompt and run java.exe from any directory), then you need to edit streambaby.bat and specify the full path to the java.exe file. See:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...32#post7543432

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #1752
tragus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Not missing anything-- 0.27 didn't do the right thing when trying to bind to the specified IP address.

Try the latest SVN version, it should bind to the correct one.
That fixed it. Fantastic!
tragus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #1753
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith1051 View Post
My initial test was a 720p h.264 DTS file in an MKV container. ...

My Tivo S3 immediately detected Streambaby (yeah!) and started playing the file using 'Same' quality, but the video was stuttering and only running about 10fps. I checked the CPU utilization and my dual-2.6 X2 was only reporting 40%. So I stopped the playback on the Tivo, and then restarted it with "Highest (5mbps)" quality. At this point Streambaby crashed.

Is this a bug?

Also, what steps should I take to fix my stuttering playback? I'm looking into tools to pre-convert my files to MP4 and DD5.1, and I'm hopeful that'll fix the problem.
The shuddering video is caused by Streambaby having to convert your MKV container into a MPG video (The only format that StreamBaby can transcode to). If you want the file to stream natively it must be a MP$ container with H264 video and AAC or AC3 audio.

My guess at the CPU cap is that FFMPEG by default (on some systems) does not handle multi cores correctly and is only using one core for the transcode. Not sure of your particular fix for this, I know in the past I had a new XP driver that fixed this for me. There is also a way via FFMPEG switches to override the defaults but I do not know how to config StreamBaby to use different FFMPEG settings.

Best of luck,

Rick
Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #1754
sandjam

Java

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjam View Post
In your streambaby.bat, there is a line that runs java followed by a bunch of parameters. If java.exe is not in your path (meaning you cannot open up a command prompt and run java.exe from any directory), then you need to edit streambaby.bat and specify the full path to the java.exe file. See:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...32#post7543432

Rdion6: Did everything you said to do with Java. Still wont recognize java when I run program... Here's my .bat file
@echo off
set LAUNCHDIR="%CD%"
pushd "%~dp0\native"
java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xmx256m -Xmx256m -jar "%~dp0/jbin/streambaby.jar" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8
echo Exited.
pause
popd
sandjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #1755
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfryar View Post
My guess at the CPU cap is that FFMPEG by default (on some systems) does not handle multi cores correctly and is only using one core for the transcode. Not sure of your particular fix for this, I know in the past I had a new XP driver that fixed this for me. There is also a way via FFMPEG switches to override the defaults but I do not know how to config StreamBaby to use different FFMPEG settings.
In the newer SVN versions of streambaby (say version r262 which is available from the download tab of the streambaby project page) there is a parameter you can use in the streambaby.ini
ffmpeg.threads=X

where X is the number of threads you want to tell ffmpeg to use (it passes -threads X to ffmpeg). I'm not sure what ffmpeg does with this parameter, but it is available to play with.

Having said that it is also quite likely that the bottleneck is on the TiVo side. Streambaby will convert the MKV to MPEG to stream to the TiVo and the TiVo receives the MPEG streams at a much lower bitrate than MP4 streams. (I don't know why...)

Your best bet is to convert to an MP4 file.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #1756
LennonNZ
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankoz2 View Post
Any news for Aussie Streambaby devotees? we're missing the you
Hi there.

I'm in NZ and I run a public HME Server and I've love to get the streaming working properly but alas I don't have a NZ TIvo at the moment to get it working.

I have been streaming stuff for quite a while (from an ISP level to many users to home streaming etc in various ways) so I am pretty farmiliar with the way streaming should work.

If anyone wants to donate a NZ TiVo to me or $$ to put towards one If I get one I am pretty sure I can get it working for people to help streambaby for NZ and AU users.
LennonNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #1757
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
In the newer SVN versions of streambaby (say version r262 which is available from the download tab of the streambaby project page) there is a parameter you can use in the streambaby.ini
ffmpeg.threads=X

where X is the number of threads you want to tell ffmpeg to use (it passes -threads X to ffmpeg). I'm not sure what ffmpeg does with this parameter, but it is available to play with.

Having said that it is also quite likely that the bottleneck is on the TiVo side. Streambaby will convert the MKV to MPEG to stream to the TiVo and the TiVo receives the MPEG streams at a much lower bitrate than MP4 streams. (I don't know why...)

Your best bet is to convert to an MP4 file.
It's the same difference as MRV versus TTCB. When you send MPEG2 to the Tivo, it remuxes it and stores it in native TY format. MRV sends something that is a lot closer to the native TY format that doesn't require as much reprocessing before storing on the drive so it goes a lot faster than a Tivo Desktop or pyTivo pull.

We suspect that the Tivo is storing the mp4 directly without remuxing it so lower Tivo CPU processing required = faster transfer.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #1758
bsmith1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
We suspect that the Tivo is storing the mp4 directly without remuxing it so lower Tivo CPU processing required = faster transfer.
So does this mean that you can never get smooth playback on a non-native container? Kinda defeats the purpose of the transcoding then, doesn't it?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #1759
bsmith1051

Another question:
Is there a quicker/simpler way to load 'Stream Baby Stream' on the Tivo? The only method I know is to scroll down to 'Photos, Video, Music' then scroll waaay down the list to 'Stream Baby Stream'.

Thank you for any suggestions!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #1760
Rdian06

Quote:
So does this mean that you can never get smooth playback on a non-native container? Kinda defeats the purpose of the transcoding then, doesn't it?
I'm not sure what you are asking? Transcoded material plays back fine.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:38 AM   #1761
dm_

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennonNZ View Post
Hi there.

I'm in NZ and I run a public HME Server and I've love to get the streaming working properly but alas I don't have a NZ TIvo at the moment to get it working.

I have been streaming stuff for quite a while (from an ISP level to many users to home streaming etc in various ways) so I am pretty farmiliar with the way streaming should work.

If anyone wants to donate a NZ TiVo to me or $$ to put towards one If I get one I am pretty sure I can get it working for people to help streambaby for NZ and AU users.
I thought the current theory was that the streaming support has simply been removed from the current .au/.nz firmware? Since there's no official apps which use it (no youtube streaming here) it would seem to be a bit difficult to find something to reverse-engineer. (The CASPA stuff isn't streamed, its downloaded to the hard drive, I'd assume via the 'push' mechanism).

Last edited by dm_ : 12-05-2009 at 04:44 AM. Reason: didn't read the original post properly before posting :)
dm_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #1762
bjarne

I have been playing around with streambaby/pyTivoX on my iMac and TiVo HD, great applications, thank you.

My ultimate goal is to run streambaby on my DNS-321 which is running linux, but has a fairly weak processor, so I want to encode my videos in a format that does not require transcoding.

My testing has been to create m2ts files from my blue-ray disc and then enconding to mp4 with handbrake using H.264 (x264) and aac audio. I have endoded with targets between 1-9 mbps. Whatever bit rate I use I get blocking in the video on the TiVo when playing at the native bit rate. If I choose another bit rate for playback, it plays back perfectly, but of course is transcoding on the iMac.

Is there a way to encode with handbrake to a format the TiVo HD is happy with directly? The answer might be somewhere here in this thread, but I was not able to find it
bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #1763
PWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
So what is the best app or script for windows that converts mp4 with multichannel aac to mp4 with multichannel ac3?
I've been using Handbrake to convert all my video. The latest version works better than the previous ones.
PWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #1764
jkates

Steambaby handbreak settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWF View Post
I've been using Handbrake to convert all my video. The latest version works better than the previous ones.

What options are you using to encode?
This is what I am currently using and I don't think that I have the correct settings.
HandBrakeCLI -v -i /dev/sr1 -L -o outfile.mp4 -e x264 -f mp4 -w 480 -Y 320 -b 1500 -2 -9 -T -x subq=6:frameref=6:me=umh:threads=auto:bframes=3:weight-b:qcomp=0.8artitions=all:b-pyramid:mixed-refs:trellis=1:no-fast-pskip:nr=100 -E aac+ac3 -B 160 -R 48 -m

Thanks -Jason

jkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #1765
BrianVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Try running as administrator to get passed the UAC ? I think you can right click on the icon and chose properties, then find the allways run as administrator, it is probably blocking access to drives, had same problem running winmfs on my win7 box, hope it works Im running it just fine but didnt have to do what I just suggested? Are you running the latest version?
Thank you for the tip. Tried it and no luck.

Also just tried it in XP Compatibility mode - still no luck.

Yes I am running the latest version
BrianVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #1766
bsmith1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
I'm not sure what you are asking? Transcoded material plays back fine.
Manually transcoded material plays fine, yes. But it sounded like you(?) were saying that you cannot expect on-the-fly transcoding to work properly, which I thought was a major goal of this software.

In other words, if I have a video that is otherwise compatible but is stored in an MKV container, Streambaby doesn't seem to be able to convert it on-the-fly to a proper playable video on my S3. If, however, I manually convert it from an MKV to an MP4, then it'll stream fine. But I thought one of the goals of Streambaby was to do that conversion automatically and as-needed?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #1767
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
In other words, if I have a video that is otherwise compatible but is stored in an MKV container, Streambaby doesn't seem to be able to convert it on-the-fly to a proper playable video on my S3. If, however, I manually convert it from an MKV to an MP4, then it'll stream fine. But I thought one of the goals of Streambaby was to do that conversion automatically and as-needed?
I use on the fly transcoding all the time, however my HTPC is only transcoding SD material or at best DVD quality and bit rates under 8k to ensure that the TiVo can keep up.

One of the problems is that HD MPG streams at a bitrate that the TiVo may not be able to process if it is also recording shows on other channels as it's CPU is relatively weak. Increasing your CPU on your HTPC will not solve this as the limit is on the TiVo side to process the MPG stream and encode that into the TiVo format.

So I would not recommend transcoding HD material on the fly and instead reconvert those into an MP4 container that can be send to the TiVo easily in real time.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #1768
Rdian06

Quote:
Manually transcoded material plays fine, yes. But it sounded like you(?) were saying that you cannot expect on-the-fly transcoding to work properly, which I thought was a major goal of this software.

No, you misunderstood. The Tivo will accept different types of content containers. Each container has constraints on what audio and video it will carry.

The first container is the VOB (MPEG2 Program Stream). If you send a VOB to the Tivo, it will remux in the Tivo on its CPU before storing on the Tivo's hard drive. We cannot control this and it slows down the max transfer rate the Tivo will accept compared to other containers. It does playback smoothly and in realtime if you can feed the Tivo "fast enough". "Fast enough" is constrained by your computer's CPU, but the max transfer rate (which allows fast enough for realtime) is capped by the Tivo's internal process. The VOB container is what we use for transcoding most formats for Tivo compatibility. That is your MKV is being remuxed or transcoded (depends on the video/audio codecs) to the VOB container. When transcoding, the video is being converted to MPEG2 on the fly. If that on the fly conversion is too slow then you end up with non-realtime playback. But if you have a fast enough CPU in your computer, even h264 HD transcoding to MPEG2 can be done in realtime (I do it with pyTivo using an Intel Core2Quad Q6600.)

With the MP4 container, the Tivo seems to accept the file and store it without remuxing internally similar to what it does for MRV transfers between Tivos. This raises the maximum transfer rate imposed by the Tivo to near MRV transfer rates. However, neither streambaby nor pyTivo will transcode or remux to MP4 on the fly. The MP4 has certain requirements for the whole file to be done remuxing/transcoding before it can be start the transfer to the Tivo with current software. So even if you have an MKV with h264 video and AC3 audio, it cannot be remuxed to MP4 on the fly for streaming to the Tivo with current software. The other advantage of the MP4 container is that it can carry h264 video which is more compact than MPEG2 video. So if you happen to have a complete MP4 file, streambaby is happy to send that at the fastest transfer rate the Tivo will accept.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #1769
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfryar View Post
I use on the fly transcoding all the time, however my HTPC is only transcoding SD material or at best DVD quality and bit rates under 8k to ensure that the TiVo can keep up.

One of the problems is that HD MPG streams at a bitrate that the TiVo may not be able to process if it is also recording shows on other channels as it's CPU is relatively weak. Increasing your CPU on your HTPC will not solve this as the limit is on the TiVo side to process the MPG stream and encode that into the TiVo format.

So I would not recommend transcoding HD material on the fly and instead reconvert those into an MP4 container that can be send to the TiVo easily in real time.
I believe this is inaccurate. I have a Tivo S3 (the THX one that came before the Tivo HD) and I'm currently recording a football game on CBS in HD and golf on the second tuner in HD. I'm also sending a 720p MKV file that is transcoding with ffmpeg from my Core2Quad Q6600 box using pyTivo.

The pyTivo transfer is occurring faster than realtime. The video is 24 fps and the transcode (which feeds into a network buffer and will be slowed if the Tivo isn't consuming the network transfer fast enough) is running around 52-54 fps.

So having a fast enough CPU on your HTPC DOES make a difference. The max transfer rate at which the Tivo will accept a VOB even when recording HD on both tuners does allow realtime HD video playback during transfer.

If you don't have a fast enough CPU, then by all means try to convert to MP4 so that the transfer can avoid transcoding.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #1770
bjarne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjarne View Post
My testing has been to create m2ts files from my blue-ray disc and then enconding to mp4 with handbrake using H.264 (x264) and aac audio. I have endoded with targets between 1-9 mbps. Whatever bit rate I use I get blocking in the video on the TiVo when playing at the native bit rate. If I choose another bit rate for playback, it plays back perfectly, but of course is transcoding on the iMac.
Just to close this, if anybody is interested. I found my problem, the CLI version of HandBrake generated good mp4's, but the GUI version gave my the breakup video. Somehow I had gotten a "level=30" into the x264 option string and that caused my problems, I can now encode great mp4 with no need to transcode on-the-fly.
Thank you again for a great application
bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote