TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #1681
dm_

OK, I've installed TD - how to I test if I can play back the TS version of the file? (Sorry, don't do much with windows...)
dm_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #1682
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_ View Post
OK, I've installed TD - how to I test if I can play back the TS version of the file? (Sorry, don't do much with windows...)
Just drag and drop the TS file onto WMP, or from play it from Tivo Desktop by copying the TS file over to where Tivo Desktop setup to download files to. Tivo Desktop will invoke WMP to play it.
If you don't have a WMP shortcut anywhere then start WMP and then open the TS file from there.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #1683
dm_

Ahh. It helps if I rename the file to end in '.TiVo'

WMP plays both the TS and PS .TiVo files equally well; they seem a bit juddery, and WMP is consuming almost all the CPU (3.2GHz P4) - would that be the decrypting overhead? Oddly WMP can't play the video on the tivodecoded PS file (something about missing codecs which seems a little strange).
Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #1684
t1c4l

Looks like after you install Tivo Desktop 2.8 you can start playing files with WMP.

I just pulled one TS file from TiVo Web interface and noticed that it is using video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts as mime type.

I've streaming this TS tivo file back with Streambaby while using this new mime type. I set the .fmt file as:

video/mpeg
video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts

And I still get the same error:
Code:
11/07/09 11:09:21 VideoModuleHelper: Bitrate for quality: 2916
11/07/09 11:09:21 VideoModuleHelper: quality setting is above quality of video, streaming normally
11/07/09 11:09:21 RawStreamingModule: opening raw file with mimeType: video/mpeg, contentType: video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts
11/07/09 11:09:21 NamedStream: Registering named stream: ae452f02-6915-4a7e-8426-4aaf7b2ac278.stream
11/07/09 11:09:22 ViewScreen: error=ERROR: 0xffff test.raw
11/07/09 11:09:25 Listener: 
11/07/09 11:09:25 Listener: connection to receiver closed
11/07/09 11:09:25 Listener: 
11/07/09 11:09:25 Factory: HME receiver disconnected
I have a strong suspicion that they may have simply removed the streaming support in this last Tivo update because they probably thought since we don't have the YouTube app in Australia they would remove this functionality from the tivoapp. Except they most likely never understood that Streambaby uses this functionality.
t1c4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #1685
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1c4l View Post
Looks like after you install Tivo Desktop 2.8 you can start playing files with WMP.

I just pulled one TS file from TiVo Web interface and noticed that it is using video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts as mime type.
Are you sure that you get a TS file that way? I just tried it and get a PS file (same as x-tivo-mpeg) and transfer rate is no faster. To get a TS file I have to use:
video/x-tivo-mpeg&System=ts

If so I guess that mime type is not recognized by USA software yet. For a small clip can you benchmark PS download vs TS download to determine how much faster the TS download is, if any? Thanks.

Also, I'm assuming these TS .TiVo files can then be copied back to Tivos via Tivo Desktop right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #1686
dm_

The two URLs provided by the internal webserver are as follows:

PS: http://tivo/download/Formula%20O...eo/x-tivo-mpeg

TS: http://tivo/download/Formula%20One.T...x-tivo-mpeg-ts

The first file decodes to a program multiplex with tivodecode; the 2nd causes tivodecode to segfault

I haven't tried using TD to copy them back, I'll try and test that later today.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #1687
dm_

Hmm. The forum kinda squished the URLs. Ony difference was
"Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg" vs "Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts".

The ts did seem a bit quicker - around 2000k/s instead of 1300k/s, but I think I had the tivo in standby when getting the ts. I'll try and benchmark it more carefully next time.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #1688
madimoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
For a small clip can you benchmark PS download vs TS download to determine how much faster the TS download is, if any? Thanks.
1.3 GB test file. PS file - 18 minutes TS file - 12 minutes
A good improvement.

Yes, TS files can be transferred back from PC to TiVo.
madimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:38 AM   #1689
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by madimoo View Post
1.3 GB test file. PS file - 18 minutes TS file - 12 minutes
A good improvement.

Yes, TS files can be transferred back from PC to TiVo.
Good info, thanks! Hopefully USA software will get the update that recognizes x-tivo-mpeg-ts format some day. That is a pretty good speedup that would make it worthwhile though unless someone can make tivodecode work with them we are stuck with the DirectShow filter method of decrypting them. I looked at tivodecode source a while back but looked too complicated for me to even attempt to mess with.

NOTE: For anyone with VideoRedo it should be able to handle those TS .TiVo files for decrypting as well as long as you have Tivo Desktop DirectShow filter installed, though I suppose there's a chance it won't work.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:06 AM   #1690
dm_

The software installer asked me what region I was using it in - I can't be sure now but I think one of the other options was USA. Not sure if you can get to the download without an australian tivo account though.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:09 AM   #1691
moyekj

Quote:
The software installer asked me what region I was using it in - I can't be sure now but I think one of the other options was USA. Not sure if you can get to the download without an australian tivo account though.
I think TivoDesktop is the same and is not really relevant. What is relevant is getting proper TS format off the Tivo using x-tivo-mpeg-ts which is part of "tivoapp" (software running on Tivo). As was stated previously Aussie's needed that capability to get H.264 recordings off Tivos in TS format, whereas Cable companies in USA are not using H.264 yet so we may not get that capability for a long while.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:37 AM   #1692
dm_

I think H.264 is needed for NZ; here in AU our terrestrial digital stuff is all mpeg2 with either ac3 or mp2 (or both) for audio. I think I read that NZ is experimenting with H.264 for hi-def, not sure what audio standard. AU tivos do I think use H.264 for video-on-demand, but I would assume that I can't transfer that stuff off anyway (never tried it).
Old 11-07-2009, 03:22 AM   #1693
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I know you Aussies don't have YouTube, but do you have the "Browse web videos" (formerly known as "TiVoCasts") feature? And if so, do some of them have the "Watch now" option? And if so... does it work? That's the one other place where YouTube-style streaming is used in TiVo's U.S. software.

Streaming could be completely disabled, or it could've been changed to require an authentication code or something vile like that. Either way, the new use of transport streams on the HMO side seems unrelated.

Can you send regular, unencrypted, non-.TiVo transport streams to the TiVo through TiVo Desktop? (Perhaps with the ".ts" extension?)

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:33 AM   #1694
t1c4l

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I know you Aussies don't have YouTube, but do you have the "Browse web videos" (formerly known as "TiVoCasts") feature? And if so, do some of them have the "Watch now" option? And if so... does it work? That's the one other place where YouTube-style streaming is used in TiVo's U.S. software.
No unfortunately there is no option to browse web videos or TiVoCasts. All we have that remotely resembles anything like that is Radio PodCasts and that is it.

Quote:
Streaming could be completely disabled, or it could've been changed to require an authentication code or something vile like that. Either way, the new use of transport streams on the HMO side seems unrelated.
I have to agree with you. It is not HMO related at all.

Quote:
Can you send regular, unencrypted, non-.TiVo transport streams to the TiVo through TiVo Desktop? (Perhaps with the ".ts" extension?)
In Australia you have to have TiVo Desktop Plus to be able send data streams back to TiVo. Another extra $40 for the Plus version. I am not able to verify this for you because of this.
t1c4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:16 AM   #1695
dm_

I have TD+ (got a key for it when I got the home networking package - I didn't think it was possible to get a MAK without the 'plus' licence here? The $40 is to get an additional TD+ key, for another machine, I think). I'll give it a try; have plenty of mythtv files which I'm pretty certain are standard TS files.

One thing to note - when I pulled down the exported TS .TiVo file back onto the tivo, it plays, but I can't fastforward (the position-in-program bar is grey, not green).
Old 11-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #1696
dm_

Attempting to grab a TS file failed. If it has an extension of .mpg then it shows up in the list and allows you to start a transfer, but then the blue light goes out after a couple of seconds and you end up with a 0-length recording. If it has any of .ts, .m2ts, or .mts, it doesn't even show up in the list (I assume TD+ only publishes files it recognizes?).
Old 11-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #1697
dm_

Fixing tivodecode looks possible. I had no idea that a .TiVo was actually a valid program stream, just with scrambling turned on and a 15kb header stuck on the front. From messing around with hexdump it appears that the same is true for a transport-stream .TiVo file; it is a collection of 188 byte packets all starting with what look like sane headers, some of them with the 'scramble' fields set. So it should be just a matter of processing it 188 bytes at a time and in the case of the scrambled ones, descrambling them. However, the bits of tivodecode I don't really understand are the ones involving setting up the actual descrambling.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #1698
rfryar
My Media, My Way

New DELETE feature does not work.

Some whatever reason any MP4 file I play with streambaby gets locked by the Streambaby service. I have not been able to see what sub process if any is holding these files open.

In the past in order to delete them I had to restart the service and then I could delete any MP4 file that Streambaby started to stream.

I had hoped that the new delete feature would circumvent this issue since the same process that has it locked should be able to delete it, but it was not able to. When I select delete I get a message stating "Delete Failed".

Any way for me to debug what sub process is holding these files opened? FFMPEG? (I do not see any FFMPEG processes running at the time). My bet would be the thumbnail creation code as I have also never seen thumbnails when FF or REwinding videos.

Thanks,

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #1699
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfryar View Post

Some whatever reason any MP4 file I play with streambaby gets locked by the Streambaby service. I have not been able to see what sub process if any is holding these files open.

In the past in order to delete them I had to restart the service and then I could delete any MP4 file that Streambaby started to stream.

I had hoped that the new delete feature would circumvent this issue since the same process that has it locked should be able to delete it, but it was not able to. When I select delete I get a message stating "Delete Failed".

Any way for me to debug what sub process is holding these files opened? FFMPEG? (I do not see any FFMPEG processes running at the time). My bet would be the thumbnail creation code as I have also never seen thumbnails when FF or REwinding videos.

Thanks,

Rick
I use "Who Lock Me": Link

A lot of times, just invoking this utility successfully releases the file if no other process has an exclusive lock.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #1700
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Streambaby is locking MP4 files

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
I use "Who Lock Me": Link
Attached is the screenshot. It is locked by the Java process itself from the streambaby code. In fact it has 3 locks on it for whatever reason that is.

Any insight?

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg locked..jpg (23.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #1701
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Attached is the screenshot. It is locked by the Java process itself from the streambaby code. In fact it has 3 locks on it for whatever reason that is.

Any insight?

Rick
This is probably something for the developers to answer, but is the file "paused" on the Tivo, and java is keeping a lock so it know where to resume? Perhaps if you open another file from Tivo, the lock will release?
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #1702
LennonNZ
Geek

Quote:
I think H.264 is needed for NZ; here in AU our terrestrial digital stuff is all mpeg2 with either ac3 or mp2 (or both) for audio. I think I read that NZ is experimenting with H.264 for hi-def, not sure what audio standard. AU tivos do I think use H.264 for video-on-demand, but I would assume that I can't transfer that stuff off anyway (never tried it).
I'll be very interested in streambaby when someone gets this resolved. I have started a HME server (with a few demo apps on it at the moment) for NZ users (60.234.76.50) if people want to try it. It has a a public streambaby server on it + others and as you can see (streambaby) doesn't work for NZ/AU :-(

If anyone has a tcpdump of streaming via HME working I can see what is needed to get it working properly. I presume a dump of CASPA might show it (I presume CASPA is a HME application of some type)

When we (the community) gets it going I am looking into writing my own streaming app for non Telecom users who can't get CASPA.
LennonNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:04 AM   #1703
dm_

Sorry, dumb question - what is CASPA?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:29 AM   #1704
LennonNZ
Geek

Quote:
Sorry, dumb question - what is CASPA?
CASPA = TiVo's VOD system based on tandberg hardware which is only available via Telecom Broadband (around 50% of the NZ market) so 1/2 of NZ's broadband customers cannot get the VOD system on the via TiVo. Without the VOD system you can still watch/record DVB-T broadcasts and get the EPG via the internet.
LennonNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:43 AM   #1705
dm_

ahh ok, so probably a bit like the .AU setup with Blockbuster (download movies etc, for a price). At least here, I don't think it uses the streaming stuff, since it actually downloads it to the harddrive (at least that is my understanding, never actually used it). Doesn't matter what ISP you use here (although some ISPs have a deal with TiVo not to count the traffic towards your download cap, some don't).
Old 11-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #1706
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
This is probably something for the developers to answer, but is the file "paused" on the Tivo, and java is keeping a lock so it know where to resume? Perhaps if you open another file from Tivo, the lock will release?
Nope, it will lock all the MP4 files that I have streamed since restarting streambaby and keep them locked until I restart the service again.

Rick
Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #1707
Chuck Clayton

Streambaby not shown in Tivo

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit with a Tivo HD. I downlodated streambaby-svn-r253.

I modifed the streambaby.bat file to use the 32 bit Java. If I fail to do this, I do get errors when I run streambaby.bat.

--
@echo off
set LAUNCHDIR="%CD%"
pushd "%~dp0\native"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java" -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xmx256m -Xmx256m -jar "%~dp0/jbin/streambaby.jar" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8
echo Exited.
pause
popd
--

The .ini looks like this:

--
dir.1=C:\Users\Chuck Clayton\Videos
dir.1.name=Voyager2 Videos
#dir.2=/media/disk
#dir.2.name=External Drive
# Ip address to bind to
# most people don't need to change this.
#ip=192.168.1.37
# port to use
#port=7290
--

When I run the streambaby.bat file, all looks good. No errors
- Initializing StreamBaby svn-r253...
- Listerner: added factory
- Main: streambaby ready & listening

Here's the problem:

I go to Tivo and there is no entry for StreamBaby under TiVo's "Music, photos, & Showcases" menu.

I've looked all over for a solution for this and havn't found anything so I'm hoping someone in this group can help out. I've also enable and disabled Tivos "enable home network applications" setting and StreamBaby is still MIA in either case.

Please let me know if I'm missing someting.

Thanks,
Chuckc
Chuck Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #1708
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Windows Vista and 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Clayton View Post
I go to Tivo and there is no entry for StreamBaby under TiVo's "Music, photos, & Showcases" menu.

I've looked all over for a solution for this and havn't found anything so I'm hoping someone in this group can help out. I've also enable and disabled Tivos "enable home network applications" setting and StreamBaby is still MIA in either case.

Please let me know if I'm missing someting.

The first thing I would do is to turn off the IPv6 stack. This confuses Java at least on my Vista builds.. It is easy to turn off and check to see if this is the issue.

The second thing to inspect is your windows Firewall settings to ensure the ports listed in your INI are correctly open.

Link to help disabling IPv6: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...port-in-vista/

Rick
Old 11-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #1709
kearygriffin

Quote:

I had never seen this problem mentioned before (nor had I noticed it myself) but did just take a look and could see the spot where an MP4 file would be left unclosed. I've fixed the problem and it should be available as r261.

Note: You mentioned thumbnail generation in your message and it is quite possible that trying to delete a file while it is generating thumbnails may not work. This is a slightly more complicated issue I will have to address in the future, but is unrelated in this particular case. I think this is a more important issue since it was always leaving the MP4 files open and for people who leave streambaby running it could eventually be problematic regardless of the delete feature.

kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #1710
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
I had never seen this problem mentioned before (nor had I noticed it myself) but did just take a look and could see the spot where an MP4 file would be left unclosed. I've fixed the problem and it should be available as r261.

Note: You mentioned thumbnail generation in your message and it is quite possible that trying to delete a file while it is generating thumbnails may not work. This is a slightly more complicated issue I will have to address in the future, but is unrelated in this particular case. I think this is a more important issue since it was always leaving the MP4 files open and for people who leave streambaby running it could eventually be problematic regardless of the delete feature.
Well some progress. In the first "WhoLockedMe" test there was three Java process's locking the files, now there is just two. But the files are still being locked.

I still wonder if it is the thumb nail creation process that is failing to run on my PC which causes the file to be locked and never released. How can I debug that process?

Do I need to do anything other than update the log properties to enable com.unwiredappeal=debug? Is there anything I can set in the .ini to disable thumbnail creation and see how that effects the file locks?

Update: Found this entry, will give it a try and get back to you..
preview.autogenerate=false

Thanks for your help!

Rick

Last edited by rfryar : 11-10-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Found way to stop preview generation