TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #1561
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannlinder View Post
What? I thought streambaby encoded to MP4...not Mpeg2 when it had to transcode. That, I thought, is why mp4's were sent unchanged to the tivo? Is that a choice cos it is faster to encode to mpeg2 than mp4 or is it a requirement?

Jann
mpeg2 files can also be sent unchanged to Tivos. Transcoding to H.264 (currently the only video format that can be natively decrypted decoded by series 3 Tivos in mpeg4 container) takes far more CPU resources than mpeg2 and is not feasible on most consumer level computers, thus making it impossible to transcode to H.264 in real time or better. Hence mpeg2 is really the only choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 09-15-2009 at 05:19 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #1562
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
FWIW when I was a Windows user I found Textpad to be a much superior text editor. It's shareware, but back in the day it was still usable in its free version (although I found it useful enough that I bought a license).
Notepad++ is far superior to Notepad for Windows. It'll handle the various line types and it's free, open source, and tabbed. About the only thing I don't like about it is the 200MB file size limit, but thankfully I don't have to deal with 200MB+ text files very often.

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #1563
kearygriffin

Quote:
Like a picture of the screen and the metafile(s) that made it that way?
Sorry, just the metafile itself would be great.

kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #1564
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
mpeg2 files can also be sent unchanged to Tivos. Transcoding to H.264 (currently the only video format that can be natively decrypted by series 3 Tivos in mpeg4 container) takes far more CPU resources than mpeg2 and is not feasible on most consumer level computers, thus making it impossible to transcode to H.264 in real time or better. Hence mpeg2 is really the only choice.
The other problem is the MP4 container itself. (the only container that we know TiVo supports for H.264 streams). Even if the PC could do real-time H.264 encoding, the MP4 container requires a complete index before the file can be played. This means the entire file would need to be transcoded before being streamed to the TiVo.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #1565
Allanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
The other problem is the MP4 container itself. (the only container that we know TiVo supports for H.264 streams). Even if the PC could do real-time H.264 encoding, the MP4 container requires a complete index before the file can be played. This means the entire file would need to be transcoded before being streamed to the TiVo.
The HME/VLC Video Streamer can use VLC to transcode files on the fly to a H.264 or MP4 stream. Why doesn't it require a complete index before the stream can be played on the Tivo?
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #1566
jannlinder

Quote:
So, this opens up another can of worms... Questions follow

So, if StreamBaby transcodes everything to mpeg2 before sending it to the TiVo, then those of us that think storing it all in MP4 format (to avoid transcoding) are totally wrong, eh?

Also, what methodology does Streambaby use to decode the mp4 and re-encode to Mpeg2. The only reason i ask is when i start a tv show (requesting that Streambaby send it from my computer to my tivo), I see Java go to the top of activity monitor for a second, then ffmpeg.bin starts taking up time. Am I correct in thinking that ffmpeg.bin is doing the transcode from mp4 to mpeg2 (in my case)?

Does Streambaby transcode or send ANYTHING on its own without helper applications or libraries? This is asked cos I can then increase how "good" it performs by recompiling those apps and libraries specifically for my architecture. I have noticed that many, for instance, x264 libraries are not compiled to take advantage of SSE, SSE3, Cache64, etc. (yes i know that x624 is not involved...that was an example. )

Handbrake, for instance, when Andy Vandijck compiled it to be fully 64-bit, (see this at: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=159004 ) did not compile x264 correctly and thus it took upwards of 6-9 hours to rip a dvd...and this was ALL blamed on being 64-bit...not an invalid compile of x264.

Having said that, for those of us with the know-how, it would be nice to recompile the necessary apps and libraries to be as fast and have as many features as possible.

I know, a lot of questions, but if we can improve streambaby by improving the supporting apps, isn't that a good thing?

TIA

Jann
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #1567
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
The HME/VLC Video Streamer can use VLC to transcode files on the fly to a H.264 or MP4 stream. Why doesn't it require a complete index before the stream can be played on the Tivo?
Haven't used it for a long time but I thought HME/VLC was transcoding to mpeg2 (if needed) before sending to TiVo much like streambaby and pyTivo.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #1568
moyekj

Quote:
So, if StreamBaby transcodes everything to mpeg2 before sending it to the TiVo, then those of us that think storing it all in MP4 format (to avoid transcoding) are totally wrong, eh?
No you still misunderstand. If a video file is deemed "Series 3 TiVo compliant" then no transcoding to mpeg2 takes place and the file is streamed *unmodified to TiVo. Compliant videos from what we have gathered are detailed in video compatibility Wiki page. If the video fits into those (fairly narrow) standards then it won't be transcoded, otherwise it will be transcoded to mpeg2.

*unmodified: Not quite true for case of mpeg4 files since Streambaby may move atoms to the front of the file and perhaps some other compliance measures so as to make TiVo happy, but that is essentially not modifying the core mpeg4 file (not transcoding).

Old 09-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #1569
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Haven't used it for a long time but I thought HME/VLC was transcoding to mpeg2 (if needed) before sending to TiVo much like streambaby and pyTivo.
Even worse -- MPEG-1! Yes, it does no transcoding to MP4.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:07 AM   #1570
Allanon

I could have sworn a while back I had HME/VLC Video Streamer working with the MP4V codec but I just tried and didn't work so just disregard my last question.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 AM   #1571
NJ Webel

Just a bump, since I think I might've been lost in the shuffle....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Webel View Post
Okay, I need some streambaby assistance. I am running a Windows Home Server where all my video files are located. I have pyTivo installed on the server itself and it automatically runs and serves up my video to my 2 S3s. I have played around with streambaby a little, but the streaming seems choppy with it running on a wireless laptop. Should streambaby instead be installed directly on the server, like I have done with pyTivo to ensure the smoothest streaming? If so, is there a way to make streambaby run automatically at startup (like if the server ever needs a restart)? I am looking for seamless functionality for the spousal unit. If that is not the correct way of doing things, can someone steer me in the right direction?

Sorry about the noob questions, sometimes I need to be talked through like I'm 8.

NJ Webel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #1572
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Webel View Post
Just a bump, since I think I might've been lost in the shuffle....
Here are the instructions on installing Streambaby as a windows service: (windows services autoload at start time, so streambaby would survive a reboot)

http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/...ceInstallation

Note: I'm not sure what the differences are between WHS and other windows versions, but I am assuming the above will work. It's possbile you may need to play with the account the service runs as after installation, but I'm not familiar with the process off the top of my head.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #1573
NJ Webel

Quote:
Here are the instructions on installing Streambaby as a windows service: (windows services autoload at start time, so streambaby would survive a reboot)

http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/...ceInstallation

Note: I'm not sure what the differences are between WHS and other windows versions, but I am assuming the above will work. It's possbile you may need to play with the account the service runs as after installation, but I'm not familiar with the process off the top of my head.
PERFECT! That makes it clear, thanks.
NJ Webel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #1574
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
In testing I just confirmed that Mac EOL (CR) does mess up the pyTivo interpretation of the meta files.
OK, fixed. (I just had to open them in 'U' mode.)

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #1575
texag93

No Audio for some titles

Hello,

I just ran into this app a few weeks ago and must say this is a great app. Thanks for all the hard work put into this!

I'm using the app to stream my home DVD collection, and 80% of the time, it works great. I use CloneDVD to rip the main title, and then MPEG streamclip to fix timecodes and put in one file.

Now, the trouble I come into is around AC3 decoding for some titles. I want to get the full 6 channel AC3 stream, however on any title that has the 6 channel stream as the second stream (0x81 as shown by vobedit), there is no audio on the Tivo for playback. I can fix it, but it is a pain (use vobedit to demux, then use ifoedit to reauthor the DVD which puts the stream as 0x80)

I would guess this is the ffmpeg decoder only decoding the first audio stream in the file. Is there a way for streambaby to detect this and/or allow us to select which audio stream is to be used?

I am preferring to leave my titles in the large mpeg2 format at this time, so converting to mp4 is not an option for me.

Thanks!
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #1576
primehalo

Showing in the Now Playing List and adding a Delete Ability

Wanting streambaby to appear in the Now Playing List has been mentioned a few times in this thread, though this has yet to make it into any of the revisions. Does this indicate that it's just not possible to do?

Deleting files off the server has also been mentioned a few times, and I would like to express my desire for such an feature. I think making it an option with the default set to off is a good idea, but I'd like to add to that and suggest that it could be an option set for specific folders.

|

Experience the wonder of Japanese Animation!
primehalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:30 AM   #1577
trashjunkid

First: thanks for the tremendous program!

I can't seem to get Streambaby to accept a video playlist m3u file.

Will streambaby accept any kind of playlist? Or is the only choice for playing multiple files simply the FF button to play the files in alphabetical order?

Thanks,
Trashjunkid
trashjunkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #1578
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by texag93 View Post
Now, the trouble I come into is around AC3 decoding for some titles. I want to get the full 6 channel AC3 stream, however on any title that has the 6 channel stream as the second stream (0x81 as shown by vobedit), there is no audio on the Tivo for playback.
I have seen this in a DVD where I ripped only the 2nd audio track. MPEG Streamclip fixed it for me though, and I see you are already using that. If the audio track that you want is the 2nd one, have you tried removing the others from your MPG file? I think you can do that in MPEG Streamclip.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #1579
hadji

Quote:
If you are trying to make "Manually add a server..." work you will need to setup a web server running on port 80 on one of the computers on your network and add a file called "TiVoConnect" to the root of the web server.
Code:
<TiVoContainer>
<Details>
	<ContentType>x-container/tivo-server</ContentType>
	<SourceFormat>x-container/folder</SourceFormat>
	<TotalItems>1</TotalItems>
	<Title>Kearys TiVo Server</Title>
</Details>
<ItemStart>0</ItemStart>

<ItemCount>1</ItemCount>
<Item>
	<Details>
		<ContentType>application/x-hme</ContentType>
		<SourceFormat>x-container/folder</SourceFormat>
		<Title>StreamBaby</Title>
	</Details>
	<Links>
		<Content>
			<Url>xxxx://192.168.1.37:7290/streambaby/</Url>
		</Content>
	</Links>
</Item>
</TiVoContainer>
Change the <Url></Url> line to point to the IP/port of the PC running streambaby. (Could be the same PC or a different PC).

Then when you "Manually add a server" add the server running the web server.
I tried doing this, and I get an http error when I try to hit the Streambaby listing. Tried with keeping default port, as well as changing to something else just for the hell of it. And yes, I did change the IP to that of my hosting machine.

Thing is, streambaby USED to show up without anything extra. One day, it just stopped showing up, and I can't get it back for the life of me. No idea why it's no longer working. Really disappointing, especially since I'm having other problems with pytivo. Running out of options for pushing to my tivo.

Note, the 'xxxx' above is because the forum won't let me post urls yet.
hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #1580
rpmstl

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I have been using SB for a year now. Successful with Vista 32 and Windows 7 32.

Now I switched to 7 64bit and am getting stuck.

I can get everything working fine with the batch file open but cannot get the service running. When I close the cmd window with the batch file running I lose the connection on the Tivo. I am sure the issue is with the win32 service install option as everything else is 64 bit.

I have Java 64 installed and the SB file loaded in the 64 bit Program folder.

I can install the service but cannot start it.

Before I moved SB into the 64 bit folder I could get the service to start but not the batch file.

How do you 64 bit users have everything set up?

Last edited by rpmstl : 09-22-2009 at 05:24 PM.
rpmstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #1581
Ink Noise

I upgraded Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 earlier this morning now I receive the following error:

"FFmpeg failed to continue running... Assuming error
SocketProcessInputStream: Destroying running process...
ViewScreen: error=Failed to open stream"

Ideas? It seems as though all components required to run ffmpeg successfully are working and playback of video on the machine is fine. Halp.
Ink Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #1582
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Noise View Post
I upgraded Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 earlier this morning now I receive the following error:

"FFmpeg failed to continue running... Assuming error
SocketProcessInputStream: Destroying running process...
ViewScreen: error=Failed to open stream"

Ideas? It seems as though all components required to run ffmpeg successfully are working and playback of video on the machine is fine. Halp.
I am currently running Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 without problems. Your best bet is to turn on the streambaby debug log:
http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/...gging_problems

There should be a line in the log after you try to play the movie that shows the exact ffmpeg command streambaby is executing. If you cut-paste that line, replacing the tcp://xxxxxx:yyyy part with a temporary filename to encode the file to, and execute it on the command line it should probably spit back the exact the error that is occuring.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #1583
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmstl View Post
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I have been using SB for a year now. Successful with Vista 32 and Windows 7 32.

Now I switched to 7 64bit and am getting stuck

I can install the service but cannot start it.

How do you 64 bit users have everything set up?
I haven't played alot with Windows 64 so I am not sure of exactly what works, what doesn't work-- Streambaby uses a "Java Service wrapper" to launch as a service that is only available to the community as a 32-bit wrapper. (There is a 64-bit version, but it is not open source).

You can try to make sure streambaby is using a 32-bit version of Java and see if that makes the service work. I really don't know if this will affect anything or not. Also make sure you reboot after any of the service changes, as it seems windows really doesn't like to change some service settings without a reboot in between. (Especially after removal of the service, and before installing it again)

Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #1584
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by primehalo View Post
Deleting files off the server has also been mentioned a few times, and I would like to express my desire for such an feature. I think making it an option with the default set to off is a good idea, but I'd like to add to that and suggest that it could be an option set for specific folders.
Quite a few people have mentioned this and I have been resistant so far-- Even with an option I don't like the idea of some bug/misconception accidentally deleting peoples files. (I don't like to get yelled at ;-) Having said that, I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashjunkid View Post
I can't seem to get Streambaby to accept a video playlist m3u file.
Currently streambaby does not accept m3u files, and the only way to do something somewhat equivalent is via playing an entire folder. I hadn't really thought about m3u playlists, and will take a look at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadji View Post
I tried doing this, and I get an http error when I try to hit the Streambaby listing. Tried with keeping default port, as well as changing to something else just for the hell of it. And yes, I did change the IP to that of my hosting machine.

Thing is, streambaby USED to show up without anything extra. One day, it just stopped showing up, and I can't get it back for the life of me. No idea why it's no longer working. Really disappointing, especially since I'm having other problems with pytivo. Running out of options for pushing to my tivo.
This sounds like a firewall issue or some outher kind of IP routing issue-- For whatever reason the TiVo can't access the IP/port streambaby (or streambaby is attaching to an incorrect port...) Make sure when you look at the streambaby log there should be a line showing which mDNS address it is advertising. Make sure this is the IP address of the machine. (This will also be the IP address that streambaby is listening on for incoming connections)

Old 09-24-2009, 03:08 PM   #1585
zabolots

While watching a movie yesterday we watched for a bit, paused for a while, and returned to start watching again. It turns out that we paused just before the end of the initial buffer (1GB?) and shortly after playing we got the "Rebuffering...Please wait..." message, which worked as expected.

I was thinking that it would be cool if, whenever playback is paused for some (configurable) time period, streambaby could restart the buffer from that point to ensure that later viewing is not interrupted to rebuffer. Would something like this be possible?
zabolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #1586
arn0ld
Arnold Mondragon

Streambaby random/shuffle play

Is it possible for streambaby to play files random or shuffle play. it would jump to random files/folders unlike the ff command to play files in a folder. This would play files from anywhere in any order kinda like a streambaby TV Channel or similar to random play on a ipod, without user having to select file to watch. of course it would be an option which can be turned off/on thru a remote command or button on main screen. that might be fun?
arn0ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #1587
BJezz

Actually I would also take advantage of a random play feature. I have a directory on my server with music videos in it and can see me using shuffle play here.
BJezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #1588
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn0ld View Post
Is it possible for streambaby to play files random or shuffle play. it would jump to random files/folders unlike the ff command to play files in a folder. This would play files from anywhere in any order kinda like a streambaby TV Channel or similar to random play on a ipod, without user having to select file to watch. of course it would be an option which can be turned off/on thru a remote command or button on main screen. that might be fun?
Possible yes. Without Java experience, I managed to cobble together random file play into Streambaby. This code snippet comes into play once you've selected a group of files to play with the ff command. If the Record key is pressed, it makes a random jump to a file within the ff list. Lots of room for improvement in this functionality. I've been hoping that Keary would add random play and delete file to Streambaby.

Changes I made to ViewScreen.java
Code:
16a16
> import java.util.Random;
132a133,134
> 
> 	Random rand = new Random();
1176a1179,1192
> 			case KEY_RECORD:
> 				if (infoView != null && infoView.getVisible() && metaview != null) {
> 					// reset timer
> 					timeout_info = new Date().getTime() + 1000 * GLOBAL.timeout_info;
> 					return metaview.handleKeyPress(code, rawcode);
> 				}
> 				int randVidNum = rand.nextInt(videoList.size()) + 1;
> 				if (randVidNum < 0 || randVidNum >= videoList.size()) {
> 					play("bonk.snd");
> 					return true;
> 				}
> 				curVideoNum = randVidNum;
> 				playNextVideo(1);
> 				return true;

reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #1589
MrGolden

Is there a way to create "shortcuts" for video files?

It seems like the more files I have in a folder, the longer it takes the list to appear. To alleviate that, and make it easier to find content, I'd like to create folders for each category or genre. However, I don't want to have multiple copies of the same file in different folders, for movies that fit in more than one category. I'd also still like to have an "All" folder that contains everything.

Is this possible?
MrGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #1590
hadji

Quote:
This sounds like a firewall issue or some outher kind of IP routing issue-- For whatever reason the TiVo can't access the IP/port streambaby (or streambaby is attaching to an incorrect port...) Make sure when you look at the streambaby log there should be a line showing which mDNS address it is advertising. Make sure this is the IP address of the machine. (This will also be the IP address that streambaby is listening on for incoming connections)
Don't run a firewall. IP address and router have remained configured the same since it was originally working. Streambaby log doesn't show an annouce, having only the two following lines:

09/28/09 13:11:40 Listener: added factory
09/28/09 13:11:40 Main: streambaby ready & listening.

But I must mention that I have solved it, thanks to you mentioning the log showing an IP. I just manually bound the announce IP, and it's now showing up again on the tivo. Didn't do it originally, so didn't think to try it. I'm guessing that streambaby was hooking to Hamachi, as that's the only excuse I can think of for needing to statically set that IP. Uncertain why sb would suddenly do that, though.

But, I'm now a happy camper.
hadji is offline   Reply With Quote