TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #1411
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I'm pretty sure you can ignore it.
Well, it *is* telling you that it can't read the ffmpeg libraries, which means you are losing out on some features of streambaby.

If you care enough, you're gonna need to make sure you have all the appropriate shared libraries that ffmpeg builds with (stuff like libavcodec, libavformat, etc) available and pointed to by the config.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #1412
ionman1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Well, it *is* telling you that it can't read the ffmpeg libraries, which means you are losing out on some features of streambaby.

If you care enough, you're gonna need to make sure you have all the appropriate shared libraries that ffmpeg builds with (stuff like libavcodec, libavformat, etc) available and pointed to by the config.

I did a search for libavcodec and libavformat on my system and I don't believe I have them?
ionman1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:33 AM   #1413
ionman1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
I think as Yoav pointed out, it looks like streambaby is generating the thumbnails for the preview (ff/rewind mode) using ffmpeg, which is causing the CPU usage. Streambaby will always attempt to generate thumbnail files for mpg files, and in your case because it cannot load the ffmpeg native libraries it will end up doing it for all files, mp4 included.

You can disable this by setting in streambaby.ini
preview.autogenerate=false

As to why streambaby can't load the native ffmpeg libraries, if I had to guess, it would be that the Java being used is a 64-bit java and the ffmpeg installed (which streambaby installs automatically) is a 32-bit version. I'm not familiar enough with 64-bit windows to know what happens in this case, but not being able to load the libraries seems like a definite possiblity.

The solution to the above would be to find a 64-bit version of ffmpeg and libraries and put it in the native folder instead of the current 32-bit version, or edit the streambaby.bat file to use a 32-bit version of java. (using a 32-bit version of java is probably the easier solution...)
Here are the contents of my native folder:

avcodec-52.dll
avdevice-52.dll
avformat-52.dll
avutil-49.dll
ffmpeg.exe
ffplay.exe
placeholder.txt
SDL.dll
swscale-0.dll

Is this correct? I did not do anything special when downloading and installing Streambaby. As a matter a fact I think I just put it on the Desktop.
Using 32bit Java or pointing to it in the streambaby.bat file doesn't get rid of the error so I know that people have said I can safely ignore it but others have said that some sort of functionality will be lost. If the ultimate solution is to use a 64bit version of ffmpeg where might I find that. Thanks in advance for any response on this.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #1414
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionman1964 View Post
Here are the contents of my native folder:
Ok your native folder has the shared libs (I guess on windows they are called avcodec-52.dll etc).

So either streambaby isn't finding them, or it is finding them but failing to load them. Do you have any sort of directives in your streambaby.ini with names like ffmpegjava.avutil=(some path) ?

Also I note that your avutil is version 49, while the rest of the libs are 52. Not sure if that's normal?

Old 07-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #1415
ionman1964

ffmpeg woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Ok your native folder has the shared libs (I guess on windows they are called avcodec-52.dll etc).

So either streambaby isn't finding them, or it is finding them but failing to load them. Do you have any sort of directives in your streambaby.ini with names like ffmpegjava.avutil=(some path) ?

Also I note that your avutil is version 49, while the rest of the libs are 52. Not sure if that's normal?
ok thank-you for your response Yoav tried this but still same result i don't know. Here is my modified streambaby.ini

#
# ./streambaby --help for more configuration file options
#

dir.1=g:\ionman19642\Videos\
dir.1.name=My Videos
dir.2=J:\mpegs
dir.2.name=mpegs
dir.3.name=DVD
dir.3=H:\
ffmpegjava.avutil=C:\users\ionman19642\Desktop\Streambaby\st reambaby-0.27\native
# Ip address to bind to
# most people don't need to change this.
ip=192.168.0.7
#port to use
port=7290

Is there a chance that I may also have to modify the Streambaby.bat?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #1416
Yoav

I think what you want is lib.native, not ffmpegjava.avutil

Honestly, do you REALLY care about the thumbnail preview generation enough to go through with all this? The full description of the ini file is listed here: http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/wiki/StreamBabyIni

Old 07-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #1417
ionman1964

Cool yeah you're right much ado about nothing

No if that is the only functionality I'll be missing then I guess the answer is no. Thank-you for trying however. I did check out the streambaby.ini options page and and you are correct it does require lib.native=path. I will use this as a reference for any further questions I have for editing the streambaby.ini. Thanks again
Old 07-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #1418
Ink Noise

Oy. I used pyTiVoX which has streambaby included and already configured which works fine with my TiVo HD across the network. But now I'm trying to set it up to run on an Ubuntu server, and I can't get it to work for the life of me.

It starts and runs fine without errors in Terminal and shows up on the TiVo under Music, Media, Showcase. However, when I try to run it, I get the 0x50005 HTTP Connection Error. I've read every post with the mention of the error in this thread but still can't fix it. Ideas? I've set it to debug mode which shows me that everything is starting up fine.

The .ini file looks like:

dir.1=/shares/sync/Media/Documentaries
dir.1.name=Documentaries
dir.2=/shares/sync/Media/Movies
dir.2.name=DVDs/Movies
dir.3=/shares/sync/Media/Television
dir.3.name=Television
ip=10.0.1.200
port=7292
title=Stream - Network Share
trimextensions=true

EDIT: Also, this 0x50005 error is immediate. Some others who had the issue say it takes a minute or two for it to appear.

Last edited by Ink Noise : 07-28-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Ink Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #1419
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Noise View Post
Oy. I used pyTiVoX which has streambaby included and already configured which works fine with my TiVo HD across the network. But now I'm trying to set it up to run on an Ubuntu server, and I can't get it to work for the life of me.
Did you enable the debugging logging? You may get some useful info in there...

Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #1420
Ink Noise

Yep. I haven't gleaned anything useful from it but if somebody else can, I'd appreciate it...

http://pastebin.com/m210ab7c7
Old 07-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #1421
jpascone

Streambaby on a NAS device. I have a QNAP 217 Pro dual processor. I was ably to get Pytivo up and running but even severely downgrading the resolution the streaming was unusual.. I have been running streambaby on my laptop and really like it.. Has anybody installed this on a NAS device like the QNAP? If I could stream without having to have any computers turned on I would be a happy kid.
Thanks!
jp
jpascone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #1422
MrGolden

From what I've read, most NAS' processors are too under-powered to run Streambaby, especially if any transcoding is required. I just dedicated an old PC for the purpose - all it does is run Streambaby, with all the files stored on a NAS.
MrGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #1423
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yeah, today's NASes just don't have the horsepower to run ffmpeg to transcode video. I had pyTiVo running on my old Linkstation once, but it was really only good for sending MPEG-2 video, which didn't need to be transcoding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolden View Post
I just dedicated an old PC for the purpose - all it does is run Streambaby, with all the files stored on a NAS.
That's what I do ... my Linux box is an old, small Dell sitting in a closet that runs Galleon, pyTivo, streambaby, and some other services and all of my media is on a 1TB Buffalo NAS.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #1424
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Noise View Post
Yep. I haven't gleaned anything useful from it but if somebody else can, I'd appreciate it...

http://pastebin.com/m210ab7c7
From looking at the log I see the following:
07/28/09 18:26:44 Main: MDNS: http://127.0.1.1:7292/streambaby/

So it looks like streambaby is only listening for network connections on the local loopback IP, so the TiVo isn't able to connect to it.

There were some issues with streambaby binding to the wrong IP addresses. If you could try the following it may help:

1. Download the latest SVN (beta) version of streambaby and give it a try, as it should have some IP binding issues fixed:
http://streambaby.googlecode.com/fil...y-svn-r239.zip
2. And just to make sure, verify the ip=10.0.1.200 (from your ini) is the correct IP address of the box streambaby is running on.

When things are working the debug line should look like this:
07/28/09 18:26:44 Main: MDNS: http://10.0.1.200:7292/streambaby/

Keary

kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #1425
net114
Tivolitic Guru

I got streambaby working, but I'm wondering is there a way to configure it to show different directories on two different tivoHDs? For example, Tivo#1 would show directory "My Videos" and Tivo #2 would show "My Wives Chic Flicks I Don't Want To See" ?

Thanks!
net114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #1426
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by net114 View Post
I got streambaby working, but I'm wondering is there a way to configure it to show different directories on two different tivoHDs? For example, Tivo#1 would show directory "My Videos" and Tivo #2 would show "My Wives Chic Flicks I Don't Want To See" ?

Thanks!
You can set separate passwords on the directories. So for example in the INI:
Code:
dir.1=c:\MensMovies
dir.1.name=Mens Movies
dir.1.password=men
dir.2=c:\WomensMovies
dir.2.name=Womens Movies
dir.2.password=women
dir.3=c:\MoviesWeAllLike
dir.3.name=Movies for all
dir.3.password=men,women

Now when connect to streambaby from TiVo #1 it will ask for a password and enter "men". This will allow that tivo to access dir.1 & dir.3. The password will be remembered when you disconnect, so it won't ask again when TiVo #1 reconnects.

Do the same with TiVo #2, but enter "women" as the password and it will let you access dir.2 and dir.3

You can press the "clear" button from (I believe...) from the initial directory selection menu of streambaby and it will let you enter a new password.

Note: dir.3.password=men,women does not really need to be set, as if you leave out that line dir.3 will be accessible to anyone regardless of the password. However, since there is at least one directory that does not require a password when you first connected to streambaby it wouldn't prompt for a password, and you would just see dir.3. You could then press "clear" which would allow you to enter either "men" or "women" as the password.

I hope this all makes sense... I think the important things to remember is that:
1. clear from the main streambaby directory menu brings you to the password screen. (If you don't go there automatically)
2. Streambaby remembers the last password a particular TiVo (by serial number) used, and defaults to using it again the next time you connect.

Keary

Old 07-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #1427
Ink Noise

Thumbs up

Quote:
From looking at the log I see the following:
07/28/09 18:26:44 Main: MDNS: http://127.0.1.1:7292/streambaby/

So it looks like streambaby is only listening for network connections on the local loopback IP, so the TiVo isn't able to connect to it.

There were some issues with streambaby binding to the wrong IP addresses.
Whoops, I didn't notice that it was defaulting onto localhost. Downloading and running r239 fixed it right up.

Thanks Keary!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:27 AM   #1428
net114
Tivolitic Guru

Quote:
You can set separate passwords on the directories. So for example in the INI:
Code:
dir.1=c:\MensMovies
dir.1.name=Mens Movies
dir.1.password=men
dir.2=c:\WomensMovies
dir.2.name=Womens Movies
dir.2.password=women
dir.3=c:\MoviesWeAllLike
dir.3.name=Movies for all
dir.3.password=men,women

Now when connect to streambaby from TiVo #1 it will ask for a password and enter "men". This will allow that tivo to access dir.1 & dir.3. The password will be remembered when you disconnect, so it won't ask again when TiVo #1 reconnects.

Do the same with TiVo #2, but enter "women" as the password and it will let you access dir.2 and dir.3

You can press the "clear" button from (I believe...) from the initial directory selection menu of streambaby and it will let you enter a new password.

Note: dir.3.password=men,women does not really need to be set, as if you leave out that line dir.3 will be accessible to anyone regardless of the password. However, since there is at least one directory that does not require a password when you first connected to streambaby it wouldn't prompt for a password, and you would just see dir.3. You could then press "clear" which would allow you to enter either "men" or "women" as the password.

I hope this all makes sense... I think the important things to remember is that:
1. clear from the main streambaby directory menu brings you to the password screen. (If you don't go there automatically)
2. Streambaby remembers the last password a particular TiVo (by serial number) used, and defaults to using it again the next time you connect.

Keary
Ok thanks for the quick reply. I assume that the directories still show, but the passwords prevent access? I'll give it a try.

I seem to have one other issue in that .avi files are coming up with a message that says "invalid file type", but I don't have everything complete yet so it might be an incomplete configuration or something on my part.
net114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #1429
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by net114 View Post
Ok thanks for the quick reply. I assume that the directories still show, but the passwords prevent access?
Actually they won't show up at all unless a valid password is used, so no one would even know they where there.

Quote:
I seem to have one other issue in that .avi files are coming up with a message that says "invalid file type", but I don't have everything complete yet so it might be an incomplete configuration or something on my part.
[/quote]

If this continues to happen could you post the piece of the log that displays this message? I'm not even sure where it would be coming from. (I didn't look, but it doesn't sound like an error Streambaby would give. Possibly ffmpeg)

Old 08-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #1430
Ink Noise

I'll admit I haven't read through every post in this thousand post thread, but I had a couple of general questions...

1) Does the project have a donation box to fund development? I used to use the Xbox 360 for streaming before I got the TiVo HD, but that coupled with streambaby has made life so much easier. Now, it doesn't sound like a Boeing 747 is taking off in my living room as a stream a ripped DVD and also, streambaby allows me to play formats the 360 didn't support and offload the conversion onto another computer. Thus, I'd really like to donate since it's being sold for the amazing price of free.

2) Is there an official request area? I'm assuming that the "Issues" page on Google Code is for bugs rather than enhancement tickets. A small things I've found is that question marks in file names come up as an unrecognized character on the TiVo displayed as a ⟡.

Anyways, back I go to streaming episodes of the West Wing on the TiVo.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 AM   #1431
angusj

streambaby_launcher updated

I've just updated streambaby_launcher, a tiny Windows executable that I wrote a few days ago as an alternative to the Windows batch file.

Description: streambaby_launcher.exe is a tiny Windows executable file (52kb) that launches the java application StreamBaby and runs as a notification area applet. When streambaby_launcher.exe is executed it creates an icon in the notification area (where your PC displays the time). The benefit of using this tiny executable over of the batch file is that it avoids the clutter of a Windows CMD box and another button on the taskbar. You can now also see the commandline output from StreamBaby's Java application by double-clicking the notification area icon.

StreamBaby_Launcher can be downloaded here:
http[colon]//www[dot]angusj.com/streambaby/streambaby_launcher.zip
(34kb, includes full source code)
Screenshot:
http[colon]//www[dot]angusj.com/streambaby/streambaby_launcher.png

ps: Apologies for the mangled URLs (I'm not yet allowed to post proper links).

Last edited by angusj : 08-02-2009 at 07:18 AM.
angusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #1432
bbeck

I'm having a few issues with MP4 files created from QuickTime trailers and played through my TiVo through Streambaby. I read through all 48 pages of this thread (whew!) and couldn't find anyone else with these problems, so here goes:

Every MP4 I create, following the process described by bkdtv here (tivocommunity[dot]com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=7097293#post7097293), plays perfectly on my PC but gives me judder-y video with Streambaby. The whole image seems to move slightly up and down about 3-4 times per second. The MP4 test video here (tivostream[dot]googlecode.com/files/test.mp4) has no judder with Streambaby, so I concluded that it must be an authoring error on my end, but I honestly don't know what to do differently.

Also, all 6-channel AAC tracks from the MP4s I create play fine on my PC, but with Streambaby it's like I'm hearing only the front left/right channels. I hear music and sound effects, but no dialogue whatsoever. Center, surround left/right, and sub are all silent.

Finally, are native QuickTime .mov files (like the Apple trailers) supported by Streambaby? I remembered seeing some chatter about manually adding the .mov extension to the list of supported containers, so if that works I guess it could be an end run around my MP4 problems. At the moment, however, attempts to play any of those files throws a 0xFFFF error, as does playing this test file (tivostream[dot]googlecode.com/files/test_h264_1280x544_ac3.mp4).

Any help for resolving these issues would be greatly appreciated!
bbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #1433
tweetybirdy

Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeck View Post

Also, all 6-channel AAC tracks from the MP4s I create play fine on my PC, but with Streambaby it's like I'm hearing only the front left/right channels. I hear music and sound effects, but no dialogue whatsoever. Center, surround left/right, and sub are all silent.

Any help for resolving these issues would be greatly appreciated!
I'm having the same problem with the sound. Is there any solution??
tweetybirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:45 AM   #1434
jcthorne

Tivo only supports 2 channel stereo AAC tracks as it cannot transcode to DD on the fly. The only way for Tivo to output 5.1 sound is with an AC3 DD 5.1 track.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #1435
bbeck

Fascinating information - thanks!

It brings up an interesting quirk of the TiVo though: I can pull a QuickTime .mov from my PC to the TiVo (I paid for TD+ prior to learning about pyTivo) and the TiVo will transcode it to MPEG-2 and 6-channel AC-3. However, it is unable to transcode 6ch-AAC for MP4 files fed to it through either Streambaby or pyTivo.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #1436
petew

Quote:
It brings up an interesting quirk of the TiVo though: I can pull a QuickTime .mov from my PC to the TiVo (I paid for TD+ prior to learning about pyTivo) and the TiVo will transcode it to MPEG-2 and 6-channel AC-3. However, it is unable to transcode 6ch-AAC for MP4 files fed to it through either Streambaby or pyTivo.
The difference is that TD+ includes a quicktime license and it's quicktime on the desktop that is used to transcode to MPEG-2 + AC-3 before the file is transfered to the tivo. For all supported formats streambaby transfers the raw MPEG-4 file to the Tivo HD where the built in hardware decodes the MP4
Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #1437
bbeck

Interesting. I thought it was the TiVo doing the transcoding, hence the significantly slower transfer speed versus "pushing" an MP4 via pyTivo.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #1438
bbeck

OK, I was able to push the following MP4 + AC3 test file (tivostream[dot]googlecode.com/files/test_h264_1280x544_ac3.mp4) via pyTivo and it played the audio just fine. So now I'm left wondering why Streambaby gives me a 0xFFFF error with it.

I also can't play the file with WMP (perhaps because it's expecting an MP4/AAC combination?). Can VLC do it? Maybe I'm just missing the right codec combination.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #1439
moyekj

Quote:
OK, I was able to push the following MP4 + AC3 test file (tivostream[dot]googlecode.com/files/test_h264_1280x544_ac3.mp4) via pyTivo and it played the audio just fine. So now I'm left wondering why Streambaby gives me a 0xFFFF error with it.
Try with following option added to streambaby.ini (without this option set I found in the past some mp4 test files don't play but I haven't tried without this option lately):
mp4module.interleave=false

Quote:
I also can't play the file with WMP (perhaps because it's expecting an MP4/AAC combination?). Can VLC do it? Maybe I'm just missing the right codec combination.
Many players can't handle AC3 audio in mpeg4 container. Latest VLC player can.

NOTE: If you are not already using latest version make sure to do so.

Last edited by moyekj : 08-04-2009 at 12:31 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #1440
bbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Try with following option added to streambaby.ini (without this option set I found in the past some mp4 test files don't play but I haven't tried without this option lately):
mp4module.interleave=false
That did it! The AC3 track played. Although half the times I tried playing the clip I got the "resource unavailable" error. Never encountered that one before.