TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2009, 06:09 AM   #1291
larry99

aspect ratio and audio

On aspect ratio, I keep the TIVO on full and use the TV aspect ratio control to control image. Also, I set TIVO to transmit native resolution to the TV screen. Although, this introduces some delay when switching channels, I feel that it results in a better image.

On audio, a minor problem I have had is losing syncronization between audio and video when resuming play in the middle of a file. I discovered an easy way to fix this, just go back a few seconds and start play over.

I am also interested if there is a list of all the error codes available?

Overall, I am very impressed well how well this program works. Great job to all those who worked on it.
larry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #1292
canbonbon

Streaming: How does Netflix does it?

Thanks for your reply. I got it. But then how does Netflix or Amazon (or any other movie streaming website) does it on TIVO? They don't seem to run into that buffer limitation and we can watch un-interrupted. So I guess, there is a way, someone just needs to hack into it. So I guess, for now, I will got back to PyTivo.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Nothing you can do about it. Currently TiVo seems to have imposed a maximum of ~1.1GB buffer for video streaming. Once exceeded TiVo shuts down the stream. Streambaby works around this by starting a new stream at the point where you were cut off but obviously the side effects are a longish delay for a new stream to start as well as losing built up buffer.
Video streaming to TiVo is currently officially undocumented/unsupported (no help from TiVo) and nobody from TiVo seems to have dropped any hints on how to overcome this limitation so for now there is no better workaround for the problem.

canbonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #1293
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbonbon View Post
Thanks for your reply. I got it. But then how does Netflix or Amazon (or any other movie streaming website) does it on TIVO? They don't seem to run into that buffer limitation and we can watch un-interrupted. So I guess, there is a way, someone just needs to hack into it.
The TiVo can definitely stream without the need to rebuffer every 1.1GB (as evidenced by Netflix), but TiVo hasn't said publicly how to do it. Until TiVo tells people how to do it, we're going to be stuck with the current limitation.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #1294
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry99 View Post
........On audio, a minor problem I have had is losing syncronization between audio and video when resuming play in the middle of a file. I discovered an easy way to fix this, just go back a few seconds and start play over..........
Overall, I am very impressed well how well this program works. Great job to all those who worked on it.
Ditto on both comments.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #1295
BJezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbonbon View Post
I have just installed StreamBaby and it works very well. I have mpg files that I am trying to watch over tivo. But once in a while I get the message Rebuffering, please wait. It is very distracting. Is there any way I can avoid seeing that message? I see Netflix movies and they are just fine and I never see that message there. Please suggest if there is some setting in the ini file that I might have missed.

Thanks a bunch.
As moyekj has already posted, this is not currently possible using Streambaby. However, you could use something such as pyTivo for longer recordings. It doesn't stream the video, but instead copies it to the Now Playing List. You can start watching immediately, but can only watch what has copied so far. So Streambaby is useful if you want to search through a film and start watching from part way through without waiting for it to transfer right away. It is also useful for transferring shorter recordings which don't trigger a rebuffer. Also when you transfer something using pyTivo or similar, it might be necessary to make room for it and the TiVo could delete some older recordings. Streambaby would avoid this, but you'd need to rebuffer.
BJezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #1296
moyekj

This stream buffer limitation is very annoying, no doubt about it and I'm pretty sure a better undiscovered solution/workaround to the problem exists. If anyone here have some clout with TiVo it would be great to get a hint at how to solve this problem. I can understand TiVo not divulging information publicly about this since HME video streaming is not officially/publicly supported, but surely a private message or some sort of indirect hint at how to do it is all that is needed.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #1297
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I see no reason to expect help from TiVo, and I don't. Anything they gave us would go into open source code, so it's not like they can have us sign NDA's, and there's no logic behind them PM'ing something that they ought to just publish in HME SDK 1.5 (or whatever).

Anyway, there's no reason we can't figure it out ourselves, as we did the original video streaming, as well as the pushing of MP4, and so on.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 06-11-2009 at 08:46 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #1298
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Anyway, there's no reason we can't figure it out ourselves, as we did the original video streaming, as well as the pushing of MP4, and so on.
I guess it is more exciting that way... I think it would help if Keary would pull out the SSL spy gear on Netflix streaming.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #1299
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
there's no logic behind them PM'ing something that they ought to just publish in HME SDK 1.5 (or whatever).
Do you anticipate that we will ever see any more updates to the HME SDK? It doesn't look like there has been anything new on the HME sourceforge site since 2007.

Personally, I don't see why Tivo wouldn't want to drop you guys a few unofficial hints to help you out. Programs like pytivo, streambaby, galleon, kmttg, tivoplaylist, etc. add a lot of value to the Tivo platform, helping to set Tivo apart from other DVRs, and it doesn't cost Tivo anything. Heck, I think they should give the major 3rd party devs free service or something just to say thanks.

Last edited by spocko : 06-12-2009 at 01:57 PM.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #1300
Iluvatar

I havent kept up with all 100+ pages of this but I know rtsp has been mentioned. Has anyone downloaded any of the free rtsp servers to mess around with? If a simple hme wrapper could be written around it we might be able to see if the TiVo would respond to some of the standard protocol commands.

I've not seen any java implementations so the rtsp server would have to be completely re-implemented/written to fit in with streambaby. The project may not be worth the amount of effort Although if someone can get it working it seems that the rtsp protocol uses fairly easy to understand commands for things like cache/buffer control and persistent connections for multiple range requests.

Something like this makes me wish I knew how to code better
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #1301
matelot

Hi, I am using streambaby within PyTivoX. My video stops streaming at about 28 mins every single time. It's a 1-hr show and the file size is 2GB. Any config I need to look into?

Thanks.
matelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #1302
BJezz

Spocko - I heard that TiVo did an about turn on their vision of HME. Originally they thought like you (and probably the rest of us) that this was a way of getting new functionality for little effort and actively promoted development from the community. Then somewhere along the line they decided that they didn't want just anybody creating HME applications and so no longer do anything to encourage it. I understand this is because of the concerns that people would call them for support on software they didn't write or have any control over. It might also be that they don't want to encourage software that doesn't fit in with their interface or vision of the product. So although they haven't withdrawn anything they've done so far (nor do I imagine them ever doing so), they have stopped publishing updates to the SDK. That's not to say they haven't created new versions, just that they are not available to the public.

I don't know for sure that's the real explanation and it seems strange to leave us dangling with an old SDK so we can develop but not easily take advantage of new features. I'd like to think that they realize this is a mistake, because I also think that the ability to add unofficial software to the TiVo is one of its greatest strengths. I mean, right now, if I think about what the TiVo is capable of, I'm including things that a TiVo without unofficial HME applications cannot do. It's the same as if you asked me what you could do with a PC; I wouldn't limit myself to only suggesting functionality capable with just an operating system installed.

Matelot - The last time somebody had this problem, it was down to the way that the video was encoded. In their case the video was ripped from DVD still in VOB format.

The clue will be that Streambaby normally shows a time line for the duration of the entire clip and the green bar gradually grows to show the element streamed. If instead the duration is equal to the amount streamed and the duration also grows as more data comes back, this shows that Streambaby is not able to interpret the video length correctly. The actual cause was that the video was reporting a 0 duration. At the 28 minute mark the buffer is full, but Streambaby cannot re-seek in this kind of video to create a new video stream because it thinks that it has already gone beyond the end of the video.
BJezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #1303
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by matelot View Post
Hi, I am using streambaby within PyTivoX. My video stops streaming at about 28 mins every single time. It's a 1-hr show and the file size is 2GB. Any config I need to look into?

Thanks.
Is that a .TiVo file? If so then that's normal behavior - .TiVo files cannot (currently) be played back where you left off once the stream buffer fills up and TiVo disconnects the stream. Decrypt it to a regular mpeg and you should have no problems.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #1304
jannlinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
The TiVo can definitely stream without the need to rebuffer every 1.1GB (as evidenced by Netflix), but TiVo hasn't said publicly how to do it. Until TiVo tells people how to do it, we're going to be stuck with the current limitation.
Ummm... it is easy how they get around it. Netflix uses Microsoft's Silverlight (name correct?) which is an App that (TiVo/NetFlix) wrote for use on the Linux operating system. That app takes over all communications and does NOT use HME (or TiVo's built-in routines to play MP4) to talk to anything. This was a requirement of the Studios for any player so the studios could "lock down content". That is also how it keeps sending back info on the connection and appropriately sets the parameters for bitrate, etc (during playback). Therefore the 1.1 gig limit does not apply since they are not using TiVo's built-in routines. Just an aside: Don't ya' wish we could do THAT in Streambaby? For those of us that accidentally start up an HD movie using a 5k bitrate (and have slower networks/computers that we are serving video on) the auto-adjusting bitrate would be GREAT!

Unfortunately HME does not allow us to actually run any apps on the TiVo. It simply enables us to utilize apps already on the TiVo to do what we want...like streaming MP4's, displaying HTML-like characters on the TiVo, etc.

If we could write our own TiVo apps and have TiVo sign them or approve them, etc (like w/the iPhone) we would have much better systems, IMHO.

For someone that just got into Wii programming (using HomeBrew) I would wish sometime that we could do this with the Wii... MPlayer is on the Wii.. and we can write our own apps for the Wii...Is there really a reason that we could not do something like playing MP4 streams on other platforms that Streambaby could serve to without many code changes?

Jann

jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #1305
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The Netflix clearly player uses a different method than the standard HME video streaming (as used by YouTube and Streambaby), yes. But what's your basis for saying that it uses Silverlight?

The reason the Netflix player doesn't have a limited buffer is apparently that it doesn't have any buffer, or rather has only a limited forward buffer, and retains nothing already played, but re-fetches it if you rewind. It's possible that using this would be as simple as passing a few more options to the CMD_RSRC_ADD_STREAM command, but I don't know.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 06-12-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #1306
matelot

The file was left as VOB. I didn't bother to change the extension to MPEG because I thought it's the same format as MPEG. I will change the extension and see if it still does the same thing.

Thanks
matelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #1307
jannlinder

Quote:
The Netflix clearly player uses a different method than the standard HME video streaming (as used by YouTube and Streambaby), yes. But what's your basis for saying that it uses Silverlight?

Netflix uses silverlight across all platforms:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40514/122/
and
http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/18892/

They even blamed it for layoffs.
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #1308
jmemmott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannlinder View Post
It is not quite correct to say that they are using Silverlight/Moonlight in the Tivo as Silverlight is a cross-platform client side browser technology. Rather, Netflix is using Windows Media Services for distribution. In addition to adaptive streaming, WMS also has the ability to enforce authentication, impose various connection limits, and restrict access. WMS utilizes a proprietary encrypted control protocol and an optionally encrypted content stream. Typically, Windows Media Player is used to decode and watch/listen to the streams, but other players (Microsoft Silverlight, VLC, MPlayer, etc.) are also capable of playing Windows Media content if the content is unencrypted and other components provide the DRM and control support. Moonlight lacks the DRM component needed to make it work with Netflix streams. As a result, Netflix Silverlight players will not work under Linux browsers.

jmemmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #1309
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannlinder View Post
No, it doesn't. I don't see how you get that out of the articles you linked, either.

In fact, if you read some of the Netflix threads here, you'll see that the TiVo's Netflix player reportedly behaves more like the pre-Silverlight Netflix players for other platforms.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:10 AM   #1310
moyekj

Ability to stream WMV to TiVos via HME showed up as soon we got software update that enabled Tivo/Netflix, so to me that suggests it is tightly coupled to HME (just not HME as we know it). The problem we have is the published HME SDK specs are way outdated compared to the current capabilities Tivo has added.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #1311
jmemmott

Quote:
Ability to stream WMV to TiVos via HME showed up as soon we got software update that enabled Tivo/Netflix, so to me that suggests it is tightly coupled to HME (just not HME as we know it). The problem we have is the published HME SDK specs are way outdated compared to the current capabilities Tivo has added.
I would agree with you but having seen OEM CE projects from the inside, I would suggest that the connection to HME is mostly API and UI connections and may not generalize to any lower levels. Netflix has it’s own “Partner Client player” group that appears to be tasked with providing and supporting the player for their OEM partners. Their core code is also running on other Linux boxes such as the Roku box with no hard disk, and limited memory and may run on specialty OS platforms such as LG broadband HDTVs. The API is most likely implemented as drop in binaries provided by Netflix so the internals/protocols involved may have nothing do with anything else Tivo does.

If this is the case, the player process for locating/talking to the stream servers and identifying available streams is likely coded to the Netflix Window Media Servers and may not resemble HME streaming. If Netflix controls this under NDA – which I would certainly do if I were them, it will never get into the SDK specs.

jmemmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #1312
mourning_air

MP4 "interlacing" issue

Is anyone else having any issues with mp4s looking interlaced? I'm digitizing my dvds and they look great if I just play the VOB through streambaby but once I convert the VOB to mp4 I get what looks like interlacing lines. They are especially obvious on scenes with text (opening credits). I am using Handbrake's PS3 preset to encode the VOBs. Mediainfo shows that the mp4 is not interlaced.

I am using the r239 streambaby

Last edited by mourning_air : 06-15-2009 at 02:49 PM.
mourning_air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #1313
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourning_air View Post
Is anyone else having any issues with mp4s looking interlaced? I'm digitizing my dvds and they look great if I just play the VOB through streambaby but once I convert the VOB to mp4 I get what looks like interlacing lines. They are especially obvious on scenes with text (opening credits). I am using Handbrake's PS3 preset to encode the VOBs. Mediainfo shows that the mp4 is not interlaced.

I am using the r239 streambaby
Yes I am seeing this issue as well. I hadnt gotten around to figuring out why though. MP4 files sometimes seem interlaced however when transcoded with ffmpeg through pyTivo the picture is perfect quality.

*Maybe off topic* - I also noticed that the menu bar is slightly interlaced when using 1080i on my TV. It is set at 720p for now which took care of the issue.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #1314
solutionsetc

Aspect Ratio Problems when Streaming

Using StreamBaby from PyTiVoX I have some Apple supplied .m4v files. Some are 4:3 640x480, and these play at the proper AR. Others are 16:9 640x360, and these are squished into 4:3.

Can anything be done to get the 16:9 files to play with the proper AR?
solutionsetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #1315
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by solutionsetc View Post
Using StreamBaby from PyTiVoX I have some Apple supplied .m4v files. Some are 4:3 640x480, and these play at the proper AR. Others are 16:9 640x360, and these are squished into 4:3.

Can anything be done to get the 16:9 files to play with the proper AR?
Try adjusting PAR using MP4Box on the offending m4v files. More information in this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&highlight=PAR
(For your 16:9 640x360 clips you should set PAR=1, i.e. MP4box -par 1=1:1 file.m4v)

Last edited by moyekj : 06-15-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #1316
solutionsetc

Quote:
Try adjusting PAR using MP4Box on the offending m4v files.
Thanks... I'm happy to try that but am having a bit of trouble locating an OS X binary of MP4Box. Any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #1317
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by solutionsetc View Post
Thanks... I'm happy to try that but am having a bit of trouble locating an OS X binary of MP4Box. Any suggestions?
Try this one.
(To unpack it from command line: bunzip2 -c mp4box-mac-tar.bz2 | tar xf -)

Old 06-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #1318
solutionsetc

Thanks again... but it seems I am not having much luck. Here is what I am seeing:

Code:
Work:~ ss$ /Volumes/Stuff/Documentation/Audio-Video/Tivo/MP4Box -par 2=1:1 /Volumes/XP/SneakPeak.m4v 
Setting up iTunes/iPod file...
Forcing AVC/H264 SAR to 1:1...
Saving /Volumes/XP/SneakPeak.m4v: 0.500 secs Interleaving
Error renaming file out_SneakPeak.m4v to /Volumes/XP/SneakPeak.m4v
And the original file is gone! Can you tell me what I am missing?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #1319
moyekj

Here's documentation on MP4Box:
http://gpac.sourceforge.net/doc_mp4box.php

You can use -out file switch to specify the output file as different than the input file.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #1320
solutionsetc

Thank you so much... That did the trick! Now I just need to write a GUI for this as I get these kinds of files regularly.