TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #1261
jmemmott

I don’t think creating one file would work. I took a look at a typical DVD I use as a test case and it contains 26 VTS sets in 55 .vob files. One of these VTS sets is the main presentation and the rest are commentaries, background material, menu sets, and other assorted uninteresting stuff. If you put everything into one file, there would be no way to identify which captions are what. You could never locate the right captions for anything as there are no identifiers to link anything with.

Dumping the captions from a specific .vob would easy so I have no issue with implementing that. I just find it a little ugly and don’t quite understand how it would work for playback in general. Streambaby would have to process all 55 .vob files on the above DVD to play back the one set of four files containing the main program and then sort out what to do with the rest. If the program spans vobs or begins in the middle of one, it will have to work that out.

When I use t2sami to feed pyTivo, it writes out both a VTS_01P2.srt and VTS_01P2.mpg pair to use to transfer VTS 1, PGC 2 programming. These contain only the program stream and synchronized captions so that only the relevant material needs to be processed. This is faster and cleaner because everything else can be ignored. My own thinking is to adapt this approach as an another alternate option in t2extract.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jmemmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #1262
Frankoz2

Subtitle Positioning

Hello All,

I'm a new subscriber and user of Streambaby. Absolutely fantastic, but with one small, irritating problem.

With my Tivo 3 set to Panel aspect, I am watching files on a Sony 42' TV. It is not true 1080 and accordingly trims the top bottom and sides. Problem is that it also trims the bottom half of any subtitles showing.

I've searched this thread and googled heavily for an answer but to no avail.

Does anyone have a solution to move the position of the subtitle on screen, perhaps through the *.ini file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Frankoz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #1263
BJezz

If your TV is not full 1080, it should still scale the input and display the image correctly.

At a guess, the TV is set to zoom mode. This presumes the TiVo has a 4:3 output and zooms it to fill the screen horizontally, but cropping the top and bottom from the image to do so. The TiVo outputs a 16:9 image if configured for use with a 16:9 TV, so includes black bars in the left and right side of the image when in panel mode. The TV should be set to full mode, which stretches the image to fill the screen horizontally and vertically to correctly display the TiVo's 16:9 output.

If this is the problem, it will have been cropping the top and bottom from the TiVo output in general, not just from Streambaby.
BJezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #1264
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Cropping subs

I have a similar issue with my older HD Tube TV. Since it is a tube TV there is an overscan area and it happens that lower half of the subtitles are in that overscan area and are cut off.

I have never complained before as this is not my primary TV. But I second the option to have a ini setting or a TiVo specific setting to be able to move the subtitles up X pixels or whatever.

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #1265
Frankoz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJezz View Post
If your TV is not full 1080, it should still scale the input and display the image correctly.

At a guess, the TV is set to zoom mode. This presumes the TiVo has a 4:3 output and zooms it to fill the screen horizontally, but cropping the top and bottom from the image to do so. The TiVo outputs a 16:9 image if configured for use with a 16:9 TV, so includes black bars in the left and right side of the image when in panel mode. The TV should be set to full mode, which stretches the image to fill the screen horizontally and vertically to correctly display the TiVo's 16:9 output.

If this is the problem, it will have been cropping the top and bottom from the TiVo output in general, not just from Streambaby.
BJezz,

Thanks very much for your help! You are right, the TV does currently trim the extremities. I'll try the idea of changing aspect to "Full" and then trying Streambaby; that may provide a solution.

I was nonetheless wondering if there is a way to manipulate the subtitles because my experience has been that the picture quality deteriorates/distorts when in "Full" mode.

rgds
FrankOz
Old 06-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #1266
Emillion

Thumbs up Foreign language DVD streaming - T2Sami subtitles

Solving this subtitle issue would make DVD network storage/streaming a great Streambaby feature.

Did not mean one file with everything in it. When creating the file user would just pick English subtitles, for example.
But I like the one file per vob approach because it works with the current version of Streambaby, no modifications required.

Thank you for looking into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmemmott View Post
I don’t think creating one file would work. I took a look at a typical DVD I use as a test case and it contains 26 VTS sets in 55 .vob files. One of these VTS sets is the main presentation and the rest are commentaries, background material, menu sets, and other assorted uninteresting stuff. If you put everything into one file, there would be no way to identify which captions are what. You could never locate the right captions for anything as there are no identifiers to link anything with.

Dumping the captions from a specific .vob would easy so I have no issue with implementing that. I just find it a little ugly and don’t quite understand how it would work for playback in general. Streambaby would have to process all 55 .vob files on the above DVD to play back the one set of four files containing the main program and then sort out what to do with the rest. If the program spans vobs or begins in the middle of one, it will have to work that out.

When I use t2sami to feed pyTivo, it writes out both a VTS_01P2.srt and VTS_01P2.mpg pair to use to transfer VTS 1, PGC 2 programming. These contain only the program stream and synchronized captions so that only the relevant material needs to be processed. This is faster and cleaner because everything else can be ignored. My own thinking is to adapt this approach as an another alternate option in t2extract.

Emillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #1267
jmemmott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emillion View Post
But I like the one file per vob approach because it works with the current version of Streambaby, no modifications required.
Turns out that vob by vob processing was the first approach I took when I started processing DVDs. When I looked to see what it would take to reactivate it, I discovered that I had never disabled it. As a result, you can already do that. Just use an “mpeg” style command line with the target file name rather than flagging it as a –dvd. You will need to process each .vob file and it will only work for closed captions. When I convert subtitle streams, I must follow the internal ifo mappings because of differences in the way they are stored:

"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2extract.exe" -f srt "E:\OTH\VIDEO_TS\VTS_17_1.VOB"

with produce VTS_17_1.srt with captions for the whole vob.

I have also finished implementing my approach as well. I am updating the documentation and will update the website with new executables as soon as I update the installer. Should happen over the weekend. In the coming version

"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2extract.exe" -f srt --video --vts 17 --pgc 1 --subtitle EN -p "d:\My Video" -o "Behind the Animation" --dvd "E:\OTH\VIDEO_TS"

will produce two files from VTS 17, PGC 1:

d:\My Video\Behind the Animation.mpg
and
d:\My Video\Behind the Animation.srt

containing a 15 minute DVD feature - synchronized mpeg program stream and captions. The captions are derived from the English subtitle stream rather than the DVD closed captions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #1268
BJezz

FrankOz, did that work? Full should cause less degradation than zoom as it performs less upscaling. However, because the TiVo and the TV both have aspect correction, you can easily end up with them double compensating and distorting the image.

Interestingly, when I first got my TiVo, I set the TV to automatically switch to 4:3 for SD and 16:9 for HD, then set the TiVo aspect correction to full. This meant that the TV did all of the compensation and takes advantage of the TV's better upscaler. Then a TiVo update came out and it no longer works. No matter what I set on the TV, it is convinced that the TiVo is sending 16:9. I can manually force it to 4:3, but that means I have to change it back when switching between SD and HD which is just a pain. When you first power up the TiVo the TV stays in 4:3 for part of the boot process, so I assume the TiVo is signalling the TV to switch to 16:9. This is with an HDMI connection.

So now I have the TV set to full and the TiVo set to panel. It works fine, but I know that TiVo is reducing the horizontal resolution in order to add the black bars. I can avoid that by going to fixed, but then I'm not using the TV's upscaler. Fixed does have the benefit that it can deinterlace paused video which the TV cannot, but I don't see that as a big deal.

I'm not worried about solving this though. Some of the videos I watch through pyTivo and Streambaby are not 4:3 or 16:9. TiVo's panel mode compensates for this correctly, but if I set the TV to full there's no way to get the TV to return them to the correct aspect ratio. Also it's nice having the info and guide boxes stay at the same size instead of being forced into the 4:3 space. The only issue is that I know that technically I'm losing horizontal resolution for SD content, but I don't notice this when watching it.
BJezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #1269
Emillion

Foreign language DVD streaming - T2Sami subtitles

Tested the CCs. You could make the installer add a shortcut in the "Send To" folder, like "C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2extract.exe" -f srt making it easy to extract CCs from one VOB. Should also work with a multiple selection of VOBs sent to the shortcut but for some reason it stops after the first one...

Waiting for the subtitles...
Great.

Quote:
............................................................ ..
"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2extract.exe" -f srt "E:\OTH\VIDEO_TS\VTS_17_1.VOB"
with produce VTS_17_1.srt with captions for the whole vob.
............................................................ ...
"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2extract.exe" -f srt --video --vts 17 --pgc 1 --subtitle EN -p "d:\My Video" -o "Behind the Animation" --dvd "E:\OTH\VIDEO_TS"
will produce two files from VTS 17, PGC 1:
d:\My Video\Behind the Animation.mpg
and
d:\My Video\Behind the Animation.srt
............................................................ ..

Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #1270
kearygriffin

Just uploaded a new SVN build that should fix a couple of issues mentioned earlier.
http://streambaby.googlecode.com/fil...y-svn-r239.zip

1. Fixes (hopefully) a problem with audio/video sync in MP4's (after a random-seek or rebuffering)
2. new streambaby.ini setting:
cc.yoff=xxx
where xxx is the number of pixels above the bottom to put the closed captioning. The default is 24. (so, for example, to make it go higher set it to 50)

kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #1271
Frankoz2

Kearygriffin,

Thank you very much for the update and change. I've been very impressed with Streambaby and I'm just stoked with the fix.

I'll update and try later today.

rgds

PS: BJezz, thanks for the follow up, this was the solution I was hoping for!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #1272
Emillion

What is the difference between cc.mintime and cc.minchartime?
Is there a setting to make them go away? For me the last subtitle stays on the screen until the next dialog....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Just uploaded a new SVN build that should fix a couple of issues mentioned earlier.
http://streambaby.googlecode.com/fil...y-svn-r239.zip

1. Fixes (hopefully) a problem with audio/video sync in MP4's (after a random-seek or rebuffering)
2. new streambaby.ini setting:
cc.yoff=xxx
where xxx is the number of pixels above the bottom to put the closed captioning. The default is 24. (so, for example, to make it go higher set it to 50)

Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #1273
kearygriffin

Quote:
What is the difference between cc.mintime and cc.minchartime?
Is there a setting to make them go away? For me the last subtitle stays on the screen until the next dialog....
cc.mintime is the minimum number of milliseconds (default=1500) to leave a CC on the screen (unless there is another CC that needs to be displayed in which case the new CC takes precedence).

cc.minchartime is similar but is based on the number of characters in the CC to display. So for example using the default of cc.minchartime=50, and a CC of 20 characters, the minimum time to leave it on is 50*20=1000 milliseconds.

Whichever value is higher for the CC to display is used. So for example with cc.mintime=1000 and cc.minchartime=50 a CC with 10 chars would be displayed for: max(1000,50*10)=1000 milliseconds. A CC with 30 chars would be displayed for: max(1000, 50*30)=1500 milliseconds.

Setting both to 0 will disable minimum times completely. (or you can disable them individually)

I added these parameters because in my initial testing the CC'ing for TV shows I had extracted from my TiVo were way to fast for me to read. example:
Code:
00:00:36,502 --> 00:00:37,101
HOW COULD YOU DO THAT
TO YOUR BEAUTIFUL HANDS?

00:00:38,203 --> 00:00:39,303
WITH YOUR FLAT,
MANLY MILKING THUMBS

00:00:40,406 --> 00:00:41,406
AND YOUR LONG,
GRACEFUL KNUCKLE HAIR--

00:00:43,008 --> 00:00:43,307
THANK YOU, KENNETH.
AH-CHOO!

00:00:44,710 --> 00:00:45,076
ARE YOU SICK?
Note closed caption #17 is only set to display for .3 seconds which I found unreadable, even though the next caption isn't set to display for 1.7 seconds after it. (And I found even #14 which only displays for .6 seconds is hard to read in that time without concentrating so hard on the closed captions you don't have time to actually watch video portion of the show...)

Full Disclosure: I don't use CC'ing much at all, so it is conceivable there are bugs in anything I talk about above. It is also conceivable I was doing something wrong with extracting the closed captions into an SRT file that was causing the very quick closed captions.

kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #1274
jmemmott

The Streambaby developers will have to help with those specific settings, but timing is fundamentally a property of the extraction process not a playback issue. In general, you can limit the maximum amount of time a caption will hang around by setting the cutoff duration on the t2extract command line:

--cutoff-duration, -c cutoff duration (sec.)

When the closed captions are converted to subtitles (.srt), there is an ambiguity in timing that makes the process art as well as science. Closed captions are timed and displayed in two characters increments when they are used normally. Srt subtitles are displayed and timed a paragraph at a time. This means that when closed captions are converted to .srt the exact start and stop times in the caption stream cannot be taken too literally or readability and comprehension can be compromised. If T2sami detects that this may be an issue, it has to make adjustments to the timing to try to avoid problems. These adjustments are made conservatively which means the captions may stay on too long – up to the cutoff duration or the next caption which ever comes first. Different individuals have different reading and comprehension rates so the program does not try to select the cutoff duration for you. If you do not set one, it is infinite.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #1275
Hyrax

I realize this may not be the correct forum, but I'm not sure where else to ask. The TivoHD is one of many boxes out there that stream Netflix video. Is it possible that Streambaby could ever be expanded to support more than just Tivo?
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #1276
Emillion

Generated my srt with subtitles using the T2Sami GUI, and did not see any settings for cutoff...Guess this is why they stay on?
Quote:
t2extract command line:
--cutoff-duration, -c cutoff duration (sec.)

Old 06-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #1277
jmemmott

In the GUI, select the Options dialog from the Tools menu. It should come up with the Captions Tab on top. Enable the cutoff with the check box if it is not already checked. Then use the slider to set a value. OK or Apply will save the value. This will then be the default for all GUI captions you extract.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:57 AM   #1278
Frankoz2

Subtitle Background and Colour

Hi all,

Thanks to Kearygriffin for the "subtitle positioning" fix!

I guess solving one problem often creates another!

1. I Have downloaded and installed SVN-R239 containing subtitle position fix
2. Subtitles show as white in a black box and frame
3. Subtitles for different speakers are not differentiated by colour - some coding around on screen suggests that this aspect is not working

Ideally, subtitles should be shown against a transparent background and perhaps show subtitles in white, yellow etc. depending upon the speaker.

Any help will be appreciated.

rgds
Old 06-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #1279
jmemmott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankoz2 View Post
3. Subtitles for different speakers are not differentiated by colour - some coding around on screen suggests that this aspect is not working

Ideally, subtitles should be shown against a transparent background and perhaps show subtitles in white, yellow etc. depending upon the speaker.
There is really no source for the speaker information. The .srt file that is used to create subtitles has no provision for storing this or any color information. The sources that are being used for extraction of the caption likewise do not contain this information. Closed caption are just a text stream : position, text, timing - the use of color is rare and has no standard meaning - no speaker information at all. DVD subtitles are just pictures. Color, etc may be used to convey other ideas but there is no way to extract that because there is no standard for usage of these things.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #1280
jmemmott

Quote:
Waiting for the subtitles...
Great.
I have placed a new installer on the t2sami.com website. It contains a new version of t2extract that will extract the synchronized video while it processes VOBs. Not done adding this capability to the GUI but my schedule will delay that into next week so I decided to make the t2extract changes available now.

"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2extract" -f srt --vts 3 --pgc 1 --subtitle EN --video -o "Animation" --dvd "C:\DVD\The Story of Art\VIDEO_TS"

will convert the English subtitles associated with VTS 3, PGC 1 of the unencrypted DVD in C:\DVD\The Story of Art\VIDEO_TS to an SRT format and save them in "C:\DVD\The Story of Art\VIDEO_TS\Animation.srt". It will also save the corresponding mpeg2 program stream in "C:\DVD\The Story of Art\VIDEO_TS\Animation.mpg".

Old 06-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #1281
fyodor

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyway to configure the Push feature to use the embedded MP4 metadata when sending videos to the Tivo?

Thanks
F
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #1282
tbear334

Compiling Streambaby

I'm trying to make a few small changes to Streambaby. Have installed Eclipse/Java on my Windows XP machine, and checked out the latest source, but get several errors mostly around jmdns. Don't have a lot of experience with Eclipse/Java so am not sure my project is setup properly. Any help would be appreciated.
tbear334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #1283
whozat

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I run it through Galleon just so I don't have to run two separate java apps on my server. I don't know why you'd get that error through Galleon, but to be honest I have not played around that much with streambaby lately. I remember having problems early on, but nothing recently.
Ok...I guess I can run streambaby on its own, then...but I'm still curious as to what could be causing this problem.

How can I diagnose this? This is a file that streambaby should be able to send right to the tivo without transcoding...how can I verify that it is doing so? What governs streambaby's decision to send a file right to the tivo?
whozat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #1284
fyodor

Just to clarify, it pulls the episode title from the metadata (apparently) but not the name of the series or the description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyway to configure the Push feature to use the embedded MP4 metadata when sending videos to the Tivo?

Thanks
F

fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #1285
bkdtv

For a future version of Streambaby, please consider supporting command-line parameters so other applications can use it as a "helper program" to support "push" functionality. [Reference]

Last edited by bkdtv : 06-08-2009 at 11:56 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #1286
Prestond

Other Streaming Clients?

I absolutely love this application it works without a hiccup for me for streaming. Is there any way that this can be broadened (or ported?) to possibly work with other streaming client besides Tivo? The server side seems to stream quite nicely, is there any way to make it work for other clients?

I use PS3 Media Server and Tversity to stream to my PS3, they seem to choke on some of the higher bandwidth recordings with minor stuttering, the same movies played back through Streambaby play without a hitch (softmodded xbox running xbmc works well too). Thats why I am wondering if there is a way to stream to other devices or is it strictly Tivo magic?

Last edited by Prestond : 06-08-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Prestond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #1287
canbonbon

Re-buffering please wait message

I have just installed StreamBaby and it works very well. I have mpg files that I am trying to watch over tivo. But once in a while I get the message Rebuffering, please wait. It is very distracting. Is there any way I can avoid seeing that message? I see Netflix movies and they are just fine and I never see that message there. Please suggest if there is some setting in the ini file that I might have missed.

Thanks a bunch.
canbonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #1288
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbonbon View Post
I have just installed StreamBaby and it works very well. I have mpg files that I am trying to watch over tivo. But once in a while I get the message Rebuffering, please wait. It is very distracting. Is there any way I can avoid seeing that message? I see Netflix movies and they are just fine and I never see that message there. Please suggest if there is some setting in the ini file that I might have missed.

Thanks a bunch.
Nothing you can do about it. Currently TiVo seems to have imposed a maximum of ~1.1GB buffer for video streaming. Once exceeded TiVo shuts down the stream. Streambaby works around this by starting a new stream at the point where you were cut off but obviously the side effects are a longish delay for a new stream to start as well as losing built up buffer.
Video streaming to TiVo is currently officially undocumented/unsupported (no help from TiVo) and nobody from TiVo seems to have dropped any hints on how to overcome this limitation so for now there is no better workaround for the problem.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #1289
johnh123

Is there any way to run streambaby without the command line console box being open?
johnh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #1290
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh123 View Post
Is there any way to run streambaby without the command line console box being open?
service mode
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote