TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #1111
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek2 View Post
Video on Demand has only just become available for us, on Thursday I think. Some of the movies are available for "free" (there's a small free symbol next the movie name). Is that what you mean?
No... on U.S. TiVos, the "Video on Demand" option pulls up another menu with multiple services (oddly enough, not yet including Blockbuster, although we're supposed to get it at some point). One of the options there is "Browse free videos", which gives you basically a list of podcasts that you can subscribe to. They used to call these "TiVoCasts".

Do the Blockbuster videos download to your Now Playing list, or are they streaming?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #1112
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Streambaby and pytivo will happily run alongside each other. It sounds to me like you might not have the latest streambaby downloaded (check the downloads tab.. it should be named -r232 I think). push was only added recently. Fwiw, the push doesn't happen with pytivo by default. It will be done with a push from streambaby (there is a way to set up the options to make the push happen from pyTivo if that's important to you)
That's odd. I went directly to keary's google code site and downloaded streambaby yesterday (0.25). I don't really care whether the push is done from streambaby or pytivo, I just didn't see an option from within streambaby so I was trying to figure out why not.

Quote:
Length of the episode shouldn't matter. It sounds to me like your home network might be too slow... If you download with pytivo, can you watch the moviewhile it's downloading? If not, you need to work on improving your network speed on your home network.

In any case, it shouldn't take more than 10 secs to go from black picture to movie playing in streambaby. Try encoding with a lower bitrate...
I suppose it is possible that my network is causing a problem, but I am not sure. I don't have any issue with transfer speeds between Tivos or from Tivo to PC or PC to Tivo. Everything is hardwired to 100+ switches. Is there a way for me to test if that is the problem though? Is there anything in the debug info that can shed a light on that?

Jason
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #1113
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
That's odd. I went directly to keary's google code site and downloaded streambaby yesterday (0.25). I don't really care whether the push is done from streambaby or pytivo, I just didn't see an option from within streambaby so I was trying to figure out why not.
I think you need to download the latest svn (subversion) code - push isn't implemented in the 0.25 release. Hence Yoav's comment about downloading -r232 (or whatever the latest is).
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #1114
Yoav

Quote:
Looking at the googlecode site, the latest right now is: http://streambaby.googlecode.com/fil...y-svn-r232.zip

0.25 is very old and doesn't support push.

Quote:
I suppose it is possible that my network is causing a problem, but I am not sure. I don't have any issue with transfer speeds between Tivos or from Tivo to PC or PC to Tivo. Everything is hardwired to 100+ switches. Is there a way for me to test if that is the problem though? Is there anything in the debug info that can shed a light on that?

Jason
Hmm.. hardwired switches should be as fast as you'll get. So unless you encoded the movies at insanely high bitrates, you should be good. Clearly something else is wrong.. Looking through the log, this is interesting:

Quote:
05/02/09 15:53:37 Listener:
05/02/09 15:53:37 Listener: 192.168.1.111 I/O Exception handling HTTP GET 005410a4-dfa6-4d0c-89eb-430da28665f6.stream: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
05/02/09 15:53:37 Listener: ctx=HttpRequest /streambaby/005410a4-dfa6-4d0c-89eb-430da28665f6.stream t=java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: recv failed
Did you actively cancel the stream? Also, does it work better if you select a quality other than 'same'?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #1115
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Looking at the googlecode site, the latest right now is: http://streambaby.googlecode.com/fil...y-svn-r232.zip

0.25 is very old and doesn't support push.
Thanks for pointing that out. I expected to find the newest file linked to the opening page. Have downloaded that one and copied over to the streambaby directory.

Quote:
Did you actively cancel the stream? Also, does it work better if you select a quality other than 'same'?
I encode my SD video at 2000kbps, so the bitrate isn't high at all. Also, I didn't cancel the stream. Those errors are occurring without my intervention or meddling. I don't know what is causing them, but maybe that is why it is taking so long to start streaming? Not sure how to debug networking issue frankly. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Jason

P.S. I haven't tried anything other than 'same' but can try. I don't expect it to change anything since I am not overwhelming anything with my bitrates.

Last edited by txporter : 05-02-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 05-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #1116
Yoav

Quote:

P.S. I haven't tried anything other than 'same' but can try. I don't expect it to change anything since I am not overwhelming anything with my bitrates.
Well, the main reason I want you to try something other than 'same' is because it might be an issue with the actual mp4 file. If you select a different quality, it will transcode it to something we know the tivo can play. Then, we can at least know if it's a bad mp4 or not (bad doesn't mean invalid.. just one the tivo can't play). -- fwiw, using the instructions for mp4 files that moyekj posted on the streambaby wiki generated a file that my tivo couldn't play right

Old 05-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #1117
mikek2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
No... on U.S. TiVos, the "Video on Demand" option pulls up another menu with multiple services (oddly enough, not yet including Blockbuster, although we're supposed to get it at some point). One of the options there is "Browse free videos", which gives you basically a list of podcasts that you can subscribe to. They used to call these "TiVoCasts".

Do the Blockbuster videos download to your Now Playing list, or are they streaming?
At the moment there is only the Blockbuster Videos option that comes up from the VOD option in Tivo Central. We had something called TivoCasts come up for a little while (they must have been trialling it or something) but they have since disappeared. There was a whole list of free videos that you could download. It sounds like what you describe.

By the way, the Blockbuster videos download to the Now Playing List.
mikek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #1118
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Well, the main reason I want you to try something other than 'same' is because it might be an issue with the actual mp4 file. If you select a different quality, it will transcode it to something we know the tivo can play. Then, we can at least know if it's a bad mp4 or not (bad doesn't mean invalid.. just one the tivo can't play). -- fwiw, using the instructions for mp4 files that moyekj posted on the streambaby wiki generated a file that my tivo couldn't play right
Thanks for all of the troubleshooting! I just tried playing 1 of the same mp4 and a new one with the latest version of StreamBaby. Both of the streams started in about 10s. Not sure what has changed between 0.25 and r232, but my setup seems to like the latest one better. And the push option is there too. Thanks!

Also, I will try the quality option in the future if I have more problems. I would prefer to minimize the amount of transcodes/re-encodes to avoid unnecessary quality loss if at all possible.

Jason
Old 05-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #1119
chetk

streambaby rookie

Well this my first attempt at streambaby, my problem is that i cant seem to get my tivo to see any movies files from my laptop. All it says from tivo (top level) no entries in the directory. I tried differnet dir and still no files found. Can anybody help im truely a novice at this so please use plan language. Thanks
chetk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #1120
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetk View Post
Well this my first attempt at streambaby, my problem is that i cant seem to get my tivo to see any movies files from my laptop. All it says from tivo (top level) no entries in the directory. I tried differnet dir and still no files found. Can anybody help im truely a novice at this so please use plan language. Thanks
What does your Streambaby.ini file look like?

It should look something like this:

Code:
dir.1=L:\MP4
dir.1.name=MP4 Videos
dir.2="I:\Tivo Downloads"
dir.2.name=Tivo Edits
Make sure you do not have any characters in front of dir.1 or dir.1.name.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #1121
bkdtv

Would it be possible for a future version of Streambaby to provide a buffer setting, so the user could set the amount of buffer time? Or perhaps buffer MP4 files differently than MPEG-2?

Right now, I'm often seeing a ~20 second buffer for a 10Mbps MP4 video that will transfer at 18-20Mbps. That's overkill. An initial buffer of 2-4 seconds would do just as well.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #1122
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Would it be possible for a future version of Streambaby to provide a buffer setting, so the user could set the amount of buffer time? Or perhaps buffer MP4 files differently than MPEG-2?

Right now, I'm often seeing a ~20 second buffer for a 10Mbps MP4 video that will transfer at 18-20Mbps. That's overkill. An initial buffer of 2-4 seconds would do just as well.
Nobody has figured out how to control HME stream buffering yet. That includes both the initial buffer size as well as total buffer size (i.e. the ~ 1.1GB buffer max size). Whoever does figure that out will be a hero. Wish Tivo would throw us a bone and give us a clue...
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:51 AM   #1123
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Nobody has figured out how to control HME stream buffering yet. That includes both the initial buffer size as well as total buffer size (i.e. the ~ 1.1GB buffer max size). Whoever does figure that out will be a hero. Wish Tivo would throw us a bone and give us a clue...
Clearly there is a way, because Netflix 720p is 3.8Mbps, and 1.1GB would equate to maximum run time of 39 minutes. Netflix has 720p movies that run almost three hours, and the TiVo never pauses to re-buffer.

Fingers crossed that TiVo will contact kearygriffin at some point and tell him how...
Old 05-04-2009, 04:41 AM   #1124
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklybutsexy View Post
there was a problem with the ac3 bat file in that the way I worded it, it was muxing the unconverted ac3 instead of the converted ac3. I wonder if that was your problem? Here is the update version...
Tried your bat files and am having a problem I hope you can help with. Work up to completion of writing the ac3 audio track by eac3to. Then it calls mp4creator and gives the error "Error Decoding sei message" and stops. Tried 2 different files and ends the same way. Seems to be something with the mp4creator command line or something mp4creator does not like about the files.

Thanks

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:16 AM   #1125
chetk

streambaby rookie

thanks for the reply this is what my ini file looks like. #
# ./streambaby --help for more configuration file options
#

#dir.1=C:/t2
#dir.1.name=t2
#dir.2=/media/disk
#dir.2.name=External Drive
# Ip address to bind to
# most people don't need to change this.
#ip=192.168.0.196
# port to use
#port=7290
any more help thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #1126
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetk View Post
thanks for the reply this is what my ini file looks like. #
# ./streambaby --help for more configuration file options
#

#dir.1=C:/t2
#dir.1.name=t2
#dir.2=/media/disk
#dir.2.name=External Drive
# Ip address to bind to
# most people don't need to change this.
#ip=192.168.0.196
# port to use
#port=7290
any more help thanks
Remove the # from the dir.1 entries. The # tells streambaby to ignore the rest of the line.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #1127
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Clearly there is a way, because Netflix 720p is 3.8Mbps, and 1.1GB would equate to maximum run time of 39 minutes. Netflix has 720p movies that run almost three hours, and the TiVo never pauses to re-buffer.

Fingers crossed that TiVo will contact kearygriffin at some point and tell him how...
Completely off on a tangent, but from previous postings in the thread, the opinion is that netflix uses rtsp streaming and doesn't use the HME buffer at all.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #1128
chetk

thanks reneg that did the trick.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #1129
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Re-buffering suggestion

Currently when I have large MP4s with AC3 audio (primarily), when Streambaby rebuffers it will almost always get slightly out of synch with the video.

If I jump ahead of the buffer by just a minute then the audio will be back in synch. I assume this is due to me having interleaving audio/video at 1/2 second intervals.

So a quick suggestion.. When Streambaby goes to rebuffer a MP4 is it possible to instead of starting exactly where it left off to back track to an even second to help keep the audio in synch?

At least until we figure out RTSP

Thanks,

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #1130
moyekj

NOTE: Keary made a change in latest version to fix the issue with all pushes going to 1 folder.
(The fix uses title names as "source" which is what is used to determine grouping. It's still not a complete fix since in current version access to seriesID is not easily accessible from push code, but Keary stated in a future release it will use seriesID if available instead of title).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #1131
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
NOTE: Keary made a change in latest version to fix the issue with all pushes going to 1 folder.
(The fix uses title names as "source" which is what is used to determine grouping. It's still not a complete fix since in current version access to seriesID is not easily accessible from push code, but Keary stated in a future release it will use seriesID if available instead of title).
Wow, Keary needs to go to work for Mozilla. I have some bugs filed over there that've been sitting for several years. I file a bug against streambaby, and it's fixed in a couple days.

Thanks!
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #1132
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Tried your bat files and am having a problem I hope you can help with. Work up to completion of writing the ac3 audio track by eac3to. Then it calls mp4creator and gives the error "Error Decoding sei message" and stops. Tried 2 different files and ends the same way. Seems to be something with the mp4creator command line or something mp4creator does not like about the files.

Thanks
it always says "error decoding sei message". Just ignore it. Are you sure it stops? Just let it go and see what happens. I've been using it very effectively for awhile now. What kind of files are they?
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #1133
Sicklybutsexy

MKV (h264) to MP4 ALL-IN-ONE BATCH FILE

This file will convert an mkv to an mp4 so that it
will be Tivo compatible. It can then be used with
streambaby, streambaby push or pytivo push. Sometimes
the file's audio will need to be converted to comply
with Tivo specifications. You need (all free)
several programs available including: mkvmerge.exe,
mkvextract.exe, mp4creator.exe, and eac3to.exe. You can
also place pytivometathis.py in the folder so that it
will automatically get the metadata for you. You
can either place all of these files in the same folder or edit the batch file to direct it to the locations of
those files. Please place the file you want to mux into
the same folder as this batch file...

Change this txt file to a batch file by changing the extention from .txt to .bat
Attached Files
File Type: txt MKV to MP4.txt (3.2 KB, 37 views)
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #1134
kennedy

MY FAMILY LOVE STREAMBABY! Thanks to all for this wonderful HME app.

I'm stumped on what to do with some files that Streambaby reports as incompatible format. These files are native .MP4 files that were recoded on a Samsung HD camcorder. According to the manual, these files are H.264/AVC/MPEG-4 Part 10 files. Any ideas on what I need to do to either configure Streambaby to recognize these files, or how to transcode these to a compatible format? Not looking for anyone to do my homework for me, but just pointing me in the right direction would be a great help.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #1135
rfryar
My Media, My Way

There was one other posting a while back about a similar camcorder. It was determined that the MP4 was encoded at a 60 frames per second frame rate. This frame rate is not supported by the TiVo.

You can find out that information by using MP4Box on your Mp4
Code:
mp4box -info filename.mp4
If the framerate is above ~30 fps then you will have to reencode. I use MeGUI which is just a UI around a bunch of tools.

Let me know if you need more pointers,

Rick
Old 05-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #1136
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

That's not correct. The TiVo has no problem with 60 (or really, 59.94) fps. It's the standard frame rate for 720p.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #1137
pmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek2 View Post
At the moment there is only the Blockbuster Videos option that comes up from the VOD option in Tivo Central. We had something called TivoCasts come up for a little while (they must have been trialling it or something) but they have since disappeared. There was a whole list of free videos that you could download. It sounds like what you describe.

By the way, the Blockbuster videos download to the Now Playing List.
Could someone who knows the ins and outs of 'push' trying modifying the code to contact symind.tivo.com instead of mind.tivo.com? I'm interested in knowing what happens using a US TiVo.

I installed Tivo Desktop 2.7 last night, selected Australia as the installation location, and ran Wireshark while I upgraded to Plus by adding my Tivo account username and password. I immediately saw traffic to and from symind.tivo.com:8181.

Trying a push from pyTivo to that server seems to log in ok (if I give an incorrect password then I get a cookie authentication error message in the results and a Python crash checking pcBodySearch), but the push didn't work. I saw a fair amount of flickering on the access light of the Tivo's wireless adaptor, but the blue light didn't come on.

Also, I had a problem in pyTivo's config.py get_ip() method - the s.connect('4.2.2.1') line always failed, so I hardcoded my external (correct?) IP address - dodgy. This is running wmcbrine's pyTivo either as part of pyTivoX or independently.
pmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #1138
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd View Post
Could someone who knows the ins and outs of 'push' trying modifying the code to contact symind.tivo.com instead of mind.tivo.com? I'm interested in knowing what happens using a US TiVo...
That could be easier than writing code. Just set up a local DNS server on your home net, and manually resolve the name that your TiVo wants to the address that you want to try out.

Or...
If you have a home router that supports it, just do a routing rule from the wrong address to the right address...
Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #1139
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
That's not correct. The TiVo has no problem with 60 (or really, 59.94) fps. It's the standard frame rate for 720p.
Sorry I was not clearer.. I meant 1080p @60 frames per second is too much for the TiVo to handle. 720p and lower can use 60 and be just fine.

The post I was refering to is: http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...69#post7216869

Rick
Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #1140
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd View Post
Also, I had a problem in pyTivo's config.py get_ip() method - the s.connect('4.2.2.1') line always failed, so I hardcoded my external (correct?) IP address - dodgy.
The address it's looking for is actually your LAN IP. The point of trying to connect to an external address is to pick up your default route, as opposed to localhost, VirtualPC, etc. Of course this still may not be the desired address.

I'm surprised that 4.2.2.1 isn't working for you. I'm open to suggestions... the code this replaced used "tivo.com", but that entailed a DNS lookup, and was more hops for (I think) most people.