TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #931
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklybutsexy View Post
you probably tried this, but did you try renaming the mpeg transport stream to a plain old mpg and then try it?
Tried that. PyTivo still reports:
Code:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=YES, container mpegts not compatible, /space/jamie/video/msbts.mpg
This was with a pyTivo push, as I'm not near my tivo to try pulling or streaming.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #932
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
Tried that. PyTivo still reports:
Code:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=YES, container mpegts not compatible, /space/jamie/video/msbts.mpg
This was with a pyTivo push, as I'm not near my tivo to try pulling or streaming.
I think it would be the same since they both go through ffmpeg...I think keary or wmcbrine would be better able to answer the question.
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #933
Sicklybutsexy

or I guess the alternative would be, is there a way to convert an mpeg file into a .tivo file? With Videoredo you can do this. Would then this dramatically speed up the transfer speeds for mpeg files?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #934
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklybutsexy View Post
or I guess the alternative would be, is there a way to convert an mpeg file into a .tivo file? With Videoredo you can do this. Would then this dramatically speed up the transfer speeds for mpeg files?
I dunno, but I tried extracting a show via the http interface, adding "&System=ts" at the end of the url (after x-tivo-mpeg) and it extracted about twice as fast as the same show did without that qualifier. It sounds similar to the performance improvement moyekj reported with x-tivo-raw-tts.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #935
moyekj

A few of us have already been attempting for quite a while now to get streaming and/or pyTivo push of mpeg2 in mpeg2 transport streams to work, but have not found a way to do it, so AFAIK it's not yet possible (at least I've not found a way to do it).

As wmcbrine has pointed out before, the tivoapp binary contains this section which seems to indicate the supported encoding types:
supportedEncodingType...avcL41MP4 vc1ApL3 mpeg2ProgramStream

The tivoapp binary also contains another section as you pointed out with:
tivo windowsMedia mpeg2ProgramStream mpeg2TransportStream avcL41MP4 vc1ApL3

This gave some hope that perhaps mpeg2TransportStream is supported, but I haven't been able to get that to work. And actually in pyTivo mind.py if you setup things such that .ts files use mpeg2TransportStream encoding type the push request to mind.tivo.com does actually go through without complaint which is also encouraging. However you will find that you never get a subsequent request from the Tivo for the file when using mpeg2TransportStream encoding type so it appears to not be supported.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #936
txporter
One sec, almost done

Here is my original handbrake profile using a CRF based encode rather than 2-pass (I made it AC3 instead of AAC):
Code:
-i "source" -t 5 -c 1-16 -o "output.mp4" -f mp4 -O  --decomb  -p  --detelecine -e x264 -q 0.61 -a 1 -E ac3 -B 160 -R 0 -6 dpl2 -D 1 -s 1 --markers="chapters.csv" -x ref=3:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:b-pyramid=1:weightb=1:analyse=all:8x8dct=1:me=umh:subq=9:psy-rd=1,0.2:direct=auto:keyint=24:min-keyint=2:no-fast-pskip=1:no-dct-decimate=1 -v
Here is the 2-pass version with AC3 for completeness:
Code:
-i "source" -t 5 -c 1-16 -o "output.mp4" -f mp4 -O  --decomb  -p  --detelecine -e x264 -b 2000 -2  -T  -a 1 -E ac3 -B 160 -R 0 -6 dpl2 -D 1 -s 1 --markers="chapters.csv" -x ref=3:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:weightb=1:direct=auto:b-pyramid=1:me=umh:subq=9:analyse=all:8x8dct=1:no-fast-pskip=1:psy-rd=1,0.2:keyint=24:min-keyint=2:no-dct-decimate=1 -v
Jason
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #937
abnersnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
I haven't done any HD re-encodes, I simply chop out the commercials with VRD and then pull them back up to the Tivo.
Does this HD mpeg after chopping out the commercials with VRD stream back in realtime? If so, can you describe your desktop to tivo connection? Dual-Core? Switch/router? etc.

I still can't stream HD mpegs back to TIVO S3 in real-time. Sounds like some of you are doing this without issue. I would encode things I want to keep for awhile, but if I just want quick turnaround time for the commercial removal, I would like to stream back the HD mpeg file.

Thanks!

Abner
abnersnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #938
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
A few of us have already been attempting for quite a while now to get streaming and/or pyTivo push of mpeg2 in mpeg2 transport streams to work, but have not found a way to do it, so AFAIK it's not yet possible (at least I've not found a way to do it).

As wmcbrine has pointed out before, the tivoapp binary contains this section which seems to indicate the supported encoding types:
supportedEncodingType...avcL41MP4 vc1ApL3 mpeg2ProgramStream

The tivoapp binary also contains another section as you pointed out with:
tivo windowsMedia mpeg2ProgramStream mpeg2TransportStream avcL41MP4 vc1ApL3

This gave some hope that perhaps mpeg2TransportStream is supported, but I haven't been able to get that to work. And actually in pyTivo mind.py if you setup things such that .ts files use mpeg2TransportStream encoding type the push request to mind.tivo.com does actually go through without complaint which is also encouraging. However you will find that you never get a subsequent request from the Tivo for the file when using mpeg2TransportStream encoding type so it appears to not be supported.
OK. Thanks for the info. From browsing tivoapp, it appears to me that the first list is the types supported for insertion onto the tivo, and the second list, for extraction.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #939
moyekj

Quote:
Here is my original handbrake profile using a CRF based encode rather than 2-pass (I made it AC3 instead of AAC):
Code:
-i "source" -t 5 -c 1-16 -o "output.mp4" -f mp4 -O  --decomb  -p  --detelecine -e x264 -q 0.61 -a 1 -E ac3 -B 160 -R 0 -6 dpl2 -D 1 -s 1 --markers="chapters.csv" -x ref=3:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:b-pyramid=1:weightb=1:analyse=all:8x8dct=1:me=umh:subq=9:psy-rd=1,0.2:direct=auto:keyint=24:min-keyint=2:no-fast-pskip=1:no-dct-decimate=1 -v
Here is the 2-pass version with AC3 for completeness:
Code:
-i "source" -t 5 -c 1-16 -o "output.mp4" -f mp4 -O  --decomb  -p  --detelecine -e x264 -b 2000 -2  -T  -a 1 -E ac3 -B 160 -R 0 -6 dpl2 -D 1 -s 1 --markers="chapters.csv" -x ref=3:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:weightb=1:direct=auto:b-pyramid=1:me=umh:subq=9:analyse=all:8x8dct=1:no-fast-pskip=1:psy-rd=1,0.2:keyint=24:min-keyint=2:no-dct-decimate=1 -v
Jason
Thanks. Note that the CRF based version for HD encoding generates a file with a higher video bit rate and larger file size than the original mpeg2. I translated to what I thought was a roughly equivalent version for ffmpeg CRF based encoding and for SD encodes it generates a very similar encoding to handbrake, but the ffmpeg version also works reasonably well for HD encodings as well.
Code:
ffmpeg -y -i inputFile.mpg -acodec copy -vcodec libx264 -sameq -crf 22 -refs 3 -flags2 +mixed_refs+wpred+bpyramid+dct8x8-fastpskip -bf 3 -me_method umh -subq 9 -g 24 -keyint_min 2 -f mp4 ouputFile.mp4
I'm not exactly sure but from what I could gather ffmpeg -crf useful range is 34:14 where 14 is better.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:52 AM   #940
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Thanks. Note that the CRF based version for HD encoding generates a file with a higher video bit rate and larger file size than the original mpeg2. I translated to what I thought was a roughly equivalent version for ffmpeg CRF based encoding and for SD encodes it generates a very similar encoding to handbrake, but the ffmpeg version also works reasonably well for HD encodings as well.
Code:
ffmpeg -y -i inputFile.mpg -acodec copy -vcodec libx264 -sameq -crf 22 -refs 3 -flags2 +mixed_refs+wpred+bpyramid+dct8x8-fastpskip -bf 3 -me_method umh -subq 9 -g 24 -keyint_min 2 -f mp4 ouputFile.mp4
I'm not exactly sure but from what I could gather ffmpeg -crf useful range is 34:14 where 14 is better.
Yeah, the handbrake %quality system is sort of whacked out. For SD recordings, if I use a quality of 61% it is a CRF of ~20. However, depending on what options are selected (level of trellis especially) the bitrate can vary quite a bit. I believe that I read a lower quality % needs to be used for HD encodes (50-55%, I think). I like Handbrake because it simplifies the conversion of DVD rips to files with burned in subs, but I do wish the options were more inline with other software though.

Jason
Old 04-08-2009, 02:53 AM   #941
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnersnell View Post
Does this HD mpeg after chopping out the commercials with VRD stream back in realtime? If so, can you describe your desktop to tivo connection? Dual-Core? Switch/router? etc.

I still can't stream HD mpegs back to TIVO S3 in real-time. Sounds like some of you are doing this without issue. I would encode things I want to keep for awhile, but if I just want quick turnaround time for the commercial removal, I would like to stream back the HD mpeg file.

Thanks!

Abner
Sorry, I must have written that oddly. I do not actually use Streambaby at all . I push all of my mp4s to my Tivo with pytivo and pull all of my HD edits back with pytivo.

Jason
Old 04-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #942
moyekj

Quote:
Yeah, the handbrake %quality system is sort of whacked out. For SD recordings, if I use a quality of 61% it is a CRF of ~20. However, depending on what options are selected (level of trellis especially) the bitrate can vary quite a bit. I believe that I read a lower quality % needs to be used for HD encodes (50-55%, I think). I like Handbrake because it simplifies the conversion of DVD rips to files with burned in subs, but I do wish the options were more inline with other software though.

Jason
For consistency I reverted back to using straight bitrate setting (and 1 pass encoding) in the wiki page additions. I also stripped off most of the audio related settings since Handbrake will copy as much from source audio as possible if you don't specify them which is desired if coming from mpeg2 with AC3. So I believe the wiki page posting now has 2 very similar recipes and I'm getting very similar file sizes & bit rates out of them. For my test encodes ffmpeg is fairly significantly faster than handbrakeCLI for whatever reason.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:49 AM   #943
txporter
One sec, almost done

Interesting that you are seeing different results for encode times. It might be that some of the newer versions of x264 have some optimized code?? Just a guess. The current version of Handbrake is almost 6 months old now.

Jason
Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #944
PaulS

I took a quick peek at StreamBaby when it was first introduced, and liked what I saw. However, at the time, my main video server machine was not up to the task of near-real-time transcodes, which prevented me from taking full advantage of StreamBaby. Since then, I've moved my video servers to a much more capable machine. So, I tried out StreamBaby 0.25 and ran into some problems.

StreamBaby (and logo) appears in the Photos, Apps list.
Selecting StreamBaby from the menu gets me to a VERY long duration "Please wait..." prompt from the TiVo. When the "Please wait..." goes away, I'm seeing an HTTP 0x50005 error from the TiVo.

So, here's my breakdown :
This machine also faithfully serves as my pyTivo server, which runs flawlessly.
There are no other machines on my network serving any TiVo HME/HMO apps.
Enabling debug in the StreamBaby config file gets me *nothing*.
I tried many different variations of config file, from a simple one liner (dir.1=f:\videos), to adding/removing the port, to adding/removing the ip address.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #945
moyekj

PaulS, follow the directions in debugging_problems wiki page to generate debug info then post contents of streambaby.log file.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #946
PaulS

Quote:
PaulS, follow the directions in debugging_problems wiki page to generate debug info then post contents of streambaby.log file.
Ooops. I think I should RTFM a little more carefully. I was expecting the debug output to show up on screen, rather than a logfile. Will report results tonight. Thanks!

edit: Update. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. I got home, added the debug line to my streambaby.ini file, fired her back up and it just works. At work, we call this "proximity code". Basically, the code knows you're trying to fix it and behaves itself (at least temporarily). Oh well, thanks guys!

Last edited by PaulS : 04-08-2009 at 07:27 PM.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #947
moyekj

streambaby shortcut in Now Playing List?

As of yesterday Tivo has added Netflix shortcut in Now Playing List. This is the first time I can remember seeing a shortcut to an HME application in Now Playing List. Wonder if it's possible to add our own HME shortcuts there? Sure would be more convenient to have a streambaby shortcut there rather than having to go to Music, Photos & Showcases, wait for all the crap in there to load and then jump to the bottom to find it.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #948
Sicklybutsexy

Has anyone else noticed this...If you try and transfer a file that won't transfer for whatever reason (something with the mp4 file for example) and you go to transfer another file that you know has been transferrable in the past it won't work. The only way it seems to get streambaby working again is to restart the tivo, which is a pain. Is it that the tivo gets cluttered with info? Is there some way to get streambaby working again without resetting the tivo?
Old 04-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #949
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
This is the first time I can remember seeing a shortcut to an HME application in Now Playing List.
It may be the first in the NPL, but TiVo can add them anywhere -- think VOD, swivel search, etc.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #950
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It may be the first in the NPL, but TiVo can add them anywhere -- think VOD, swivel search, etc.
Yeah, the reason I thought NPL may be more significant is because for HMO applications you can have them show up in NPL. Thinking outside the box here for a minute I wonder if there's a way to trigger start of an HME application using HMO? i.e. For example in pyTivo define a share that somehow triggers an HME application? Probably doesn't make any sense but I thought I would throw it out here just in case...

Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 AM   #951
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Quote:
As of yesterday Tivo has added Netflix shortcut in Now Playing List. This is the first time I can remember seeing a shortcut to an HME application in Now Playing List. Wonder if it's possible to add our own HME shortcuts there? Sure would be more convenient to have a streambaby shortcut there rather than having to go to Music, Photos & Showcases, wait for all the crap in there to load and then jump to the bottom to find it.
I came to ask the same question.

It would be great if TiVo supported local streaming in the NPL, including from other TiVos!
MighTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #952
JohnDiamant

Resource not found error on digital recordings in dvr-ms files

StreamBaby is great. I'm really enjoying using it. I have it set up to stream Microsoft Media Center Edition (MCE) .dvr-ms files (just had to add that to the extensions list) and it works great for analog recorded files. For any that are recorded off a digital tuner, I get a resource not found error, though. I've attached all the debug info requested on the debug wiki page. Hopefully you can tell what the problem is from that and how to fix it.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt streambaby.log.txt (12.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: txt ffmpeg.log.txt (1.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: txt MediaInfo.txt (3.8 KB, 10 views)
JohnDiamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #953
fyodor

Quote:
Yeah, the reason I thought NPL may be more significant is because for HMO applications you can have them show up in NPL. Thinking outside the box here for a minute I wonder if there's a way to trigger start of an HME application using HMO? i.e. For example in pyTivo define a share that somehow triggers an HME application? Probably doesn't make any sense but I thought I would throw it out here just in case...
Is there any way to spy on what's happening when it triggers Netflix streaming from the NPL?
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #954
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Another Strange MP4 behavior

I have an MP4, 1080p, AC3 Audio, that does not make it to the play screen. Below are the FFMPEG results and the debug log.

Any clue as to why it is failing when it is trying to obtain metadata/bitrate of this file? Should I try scrubbing the metadata on the MP4? Or any other hints?

At the moment I have interleave.false enabled, but I do not think this matters at this point as I never get to select the movie to play it.

Thanks,

Rick
Attached Files
File Type: txt streambaby.log.txt (14.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: txt ffmpeg.txt (1.0 KB, 8 views)
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #955
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfryar View Post
I have an MP4, 1080p, AC3 Audio, that does not make it to the play screen. Below are the FFMPEG results and the debug log.

Any clue as to why it is failing when it is trying to obtain metadata/bitrate of this file? Should I try scrubbing the metadata on the MP4? Or any other hints?

At the moment I have interleave.false enabled, but I do not think this matters at this point as I never get to select the movie to play it.

Thanks,

Rick
please post your mediainfo file as well. Audio for ac3 needs to be 448 kbps or less. Often the aspect ratio is a problem if its not 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080. How did you encode the file?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #956
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDiamant View Post
StreamBaby is great. I'm really enjoying using it. I have it set up to stream Microsoft Media Center Edition (MCE) .dvr-ms files (just had to add that to the extensions list) and it works great for analog recorded files. For any that are recorded off a digital tuner, I get a resource not found error, though. I've attached all the debug info requested on the debug wiki page. Hopefully you can tell what the problem is from that and how to fix it.

Thanks!
Looks to me like ffmpeg transcode is either failing or not producing an output stream quick enough. Create a run.bat file with the following:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\StreamBaby\native\ffmpeg.exe" -ss 0.0 -i "F:\Recorded TV\ABBA in Concert_KBDI-DT_05_08_2006_20_56_07.dvr-ms" -acodec ac3 -vcodec mpeg2video -f vob -async 1 -r 29.97 -v 0 -sameq -ab 192k -ar 48000 test.mpg
Then from a cmd window execute the above run.bat file and see if it's able to create test.mpg properly and in reasonable time.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #957
JohnDiamant

Quote:
Looks to me like ffmpeg transcode is either failing or not producing an output stream quick enough. Create a run.bat file with the following:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\StreamBaby\native\ffmpeg.exe" -ss 0.0 -i "F:\Recorded TV\ABBA in Concert_KBDI-DT_05_08_2006_20_56_07.dvr-ms" -acodec ac3 -vcodec mpeg2video -f vob -async 1 -r 29.97 -v 0 -sameq -ab 192k -ar 48000 test.mpg
Then from a cmd window execute the above run.bat file and see if it's able to create test.mpg properly and in reasonable time.
You are correct. ffmpeg failed to create a test.mpg file (it was zero length). Attached is the log created by the run.bat file. It appears to have gotten a frame sync error while decoding the audio stream if I'm reading it correctly. I checked the same operation on an analog recording (which is streaming properly) and it doesn't get the frame sync error.

I thought it wasn't going to need to run ffmpeg, though, because the default Quality: option is "Same" (which I thought meant no transcoding required).

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Attached Files
File Type: txt run.log.txt (1.4 KB, 5 views)
JohnDiamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #958
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDiamant View Post
I thought it wasn't going to need to run ffmpeg, though, because the default Quality: option is "Same" (which I thought meant no transcoding required).

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Same is a little overloaded here...

Same is actually an ffmpeg option telling ffmpeg to 'try and keep a similar quality to the original source'. (so if you give it as input a 3mbps xvid, it will probably spit out a 5mbps mpeg-2, etc). -- the actual argument to ffmpeg is '-sameq'

The no-transcoding happens if your file is a valid h.264 that can be streamed to a tivo AND 'same' is selected.

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #959
moyekj

In this case 'asf' container (wmv) is being used and Tivo does not natively support mpeg2 video + AC3 audio in asf container. You'd have to change it to mpeg2 program stream container in order for it to stream natively to your Tivos. Since ffmpeg is failing you may have to find another way to demux the audio & video streams and then re-mux them into mpeg2 program stream. Don't have any tool names on top of my head right now I can suggest to do that...

Old 04-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #960
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
In this case 'asf' container (wmv) is being used and Tivo does not natively support mpeg2 video + AC3 audio in asf container. You'd have to change it to mpeg2 program stream container in order for it to stream natively to your Tivos. Since ffmpeg is failing you may have to find another way to demux the audio & video streams and then re-mux them into mpeg2 program stream. Don't have any tool names on top of my head right now I can suggest to do that...
try xvid4psp. under video choose copy, under container mpeg-ps, under audio choose copy.