TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #901
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklybutsexy View Post
Hey Yoav, could you post you streambaby.ini file so I could see where mine is messed up? It's weird because I don't think I have that much listed on my ini file.
An bare-bones INI (with say just the directory entries) should default to the HD streambaby screen with nice graphics/fonts.

Are you running through galleon by any chance? I'm not sure what will happen as far as setting the correct resolution in that case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #902
fyodor

Hi Keary,

I have been playing around with the PyTivo push feature, which is really quite fantastic. I had a few questions-

1. Is there any reason that for two files in the same directory, that the Pytivo Push feature would only be available for one? Both files show up as streamable, but I only get the push option with one of them.

2. This got me thinking, one of the big pains in the ass of pushing (which you've now overcome) is the annoyance of leaving the Tivo to send from your computer. How hard would it be to implement some other Tivo-initiated functions from Streambaby? For example, it seems that a lot of people have various remuxes, etc, that they need to run to make their files work. How hard would it be to implement some sort of command that runs a user-designated program with the media file as an argument? Or use it to delete the source file afterwards?

3. I understand that Streambaby can utilize PyTivo metadata. Is there any way to get streambaby to pass metadata to PyTivo for pushes? I have some MP4s with embedded metadata, where Streambaby can see the title, but PyTivo cannot. Is there some way I can use Streambaby to create PyTivo compliant metadata files.

Thanks, much, and again, great work. This is a fantastic program.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #903
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
1. Is there any reason that for two files in the same directory, that the Pytivo Push feature would only be available for one? Both files show up as streamable, but I only get the push option with one of them.
Could possibly be a bug, perhaps with some special characters in file name or something of that nature. If you can put streambaby in debug mode (see debugging_problems wiki) and then run streambaby and navigate into the Play Screen of the file for which pyTivo push option does not show, then post the streambaby.log contents here (or via PM) that may provide some insight. Also post the full path to the file in question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #904
Yoav

Quote:
Hey Yoav, could you post you streambaby.ini file so I could see where mine is messed up? It's weird because I don't think I have that much listed on my ini file.
Keary answered better, but just in case you still care:

Code:
# Created by pyTivoX, edits here WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

title=pyTivoX - Yoavs-iMac.local
preview.cache=/tmp/pyTivoCache/
autogenerate.delete=true
port=7290
ip=192.168.0.110
ffmpeg.path=/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg.bin
ffmpegjava.avutil=/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavutil.dylib
ffmpegjava.avcodec=/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavcodec.dylib
ffmpegjava.avformat=/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavformat.dylib
ffmpegjava.swscale=/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libswscale.dylib

ffmpegexe.transcode=-acodec ac3 -vcodec mpeg2video -f vob -async 1 -r ${closest.mpeg.fps} -v 0 -threads 2
ffmpegexe.transcode.sameqargs=-sameq -ab 384k -ar ${asamplerate}

pytivo.port=9032
quality.highestabr=384
quality.highres=1080
quality.select=true
trimextensions=true

dir.1=/Volumes/External Disk/movies
dir.1.name=Movies
dir.2=/Users/yoav/Desktop/tivo
dir.2.name=TiVo

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #905
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
An bare-bones INI (with say just the directory entries) should default to the HD streambaby screen with nice graphics/fonts.

Are you running through galleon by any chance? I'm not sure what will happen as far as setting the correct resolution in that case.
I'll post my .ini file when I get home but mine is pretty bare bones and I'm getting the bare background. No Galleon here...
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #906
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
I have seen this, and it has to do with PyTivo only updates its cache occasionally. So if there is a new file placed in the file system, PyTivo's cache does not update to see it.

See if stopping and restarting pytivo, then navigate into streambaby and see if the same item is missing.

But as mentioned before with debugging enabled you can see streambaby "walk" through the pytivo cache to find the item in the logs

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #907
fyodor

yeah, I tried starting and stopping PyTivo to no avail. I'm going to try playing around with the file names tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfryar View Post
I have seen this, and it has to do with PyTivo only updates its cache occasionally. So if there is a new file placed in the file system, PyTivo's cache does not update to see it.

See if stopping and restarting pytivo, then navigate into streambaby and see if the same item is missing.

But as mentioned before with debugging enabled you can see streambaby "walk" through the pytivo cache to find the item in the logs

Rick

Old 04-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #908
moyekj

Quote:
yeah, I tried starting and stopping PyTivo to no avail. I'm going to try playing around with the file names tonight.
Note that currently to get full refresh you would need to completely stop both pyTivo and streambaby, then re-start pyTivo, then re-start streambaby. One current limitation of the implementation is that streambaby only queries pyTivo server for video files when it first starts up. That needs some improvement obviously. When I originally implemented it I actually was querying pyTivo server every time when entering play screen for a file, but I thought that was overkill in the other direction which can slow things down depending how big your file structure is. Perhaps a fairly easy short term workaround is to have a remote control button in streambaby in selection (file browser) mode to refresh pyTivo available video list. That would be a fairly trivial addition.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #909
Sicklybutsexy

Here's my .ini file. Don't see anything obvious. Am I the only one not seeing the nicer graphics and fonts?:

#
# ./streambaby --help for more configuration file options
#

dir.1=C:\Users\jay\Videos\HD Movies
dir.1.name=HD Movies
dir.2=H:\TV Media Encoded
dir.2.name=TV
dir.3=H:\Home Movies
dir.3.name=Home Movies
dir.4=I:\Jay's movies
dir.4.name=Jay's Movies
dir.5=I:\Sony Backup
dir.5.name=Sony Backup
# Ip address to bind to
# most people don't need to change this.
#ip=192.168.1.37
# port to use
port=7290
title=Jay's streamer
ffmpeg.path=C:\Users\jay\Downloads\streambaby-svn-r170\streambaby-svn-r170\native\ffmpeg.exe
quality.select=true
quality.highestvbr=8000
use.title
cc.fontsize=30
meta.vidinfo.disable=false
use.title.cachedonly=false

Do you think it's because I'm using native format on my tivo?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #910
Sicklybutsexy

I had my tivo in "native" mode and with that it looks like you can't get the graphics, etc...
Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #911
moyekj

Quote:
I had my tivo in "native" mode and with that it looks like you can't get the graphics, etc...
So setting a fixed output mode of 720p or 1080i fixes the problem right? Note that Tivo UI in general is in 720p, so if you enter streambaby from UI it should start at 720p mode so you would think that should be OK. Sounds like by bypassing Tivo UI mode and entering directly from a 720p and/or 1080i playback using left button solves the issue. So there seems to be something about entering from Tivo UI that is forcing 480i, perhaps just temporarily.
I used native for quite a long while but then it just got too annoying with constant resolution changes and temporary screen flicker while TV re-syncs. The S3 seems to do a good job scaling anyway so I really don't see a big difference between using native or fixed for my setup so I just bit the bullet and switched to 1080i fixed.

Last edited by moyekj : 04-06-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #912
abnersnell

Streaming HD back to Tivo

Should I expect to be able to stream HD mpg from output of kmttg with Streambaby in real-time? Or should I see pausing/buffering pretty regularly?

Thanks!

Abner
abnersnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #913
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnersnell View Post
Should I expect to be able to stream HD mpg from output of kmttg with Streambaby in real-time? Or should I see pausing/buffering pretty regularly?

Thanks!

Abner
Depends on a lot of factors. In general though the stream speeds seem to be no faster than transfer speeds. So, if your transfer speed from Tivo->PC for those HD shows happen >= real time then you should expect streaming to be pausing/buffering a lot if you try and view real time.
Note that for whatever reason transfer speeds of native mp4 files are quite significantly faster than mpeg2, and of course the bit rates for those are quite a bit smaller compared to mpeg2 as well, so if streaming real time or better is a high priority then making HD mp4 versions is a good option since you can stream them back >> real time to your Tivos.

I really like the streaming option because it provides true random access anywhere in the file and other features you can't get with native Tivo playback. For example, jumping ahead or jumping back n minutes is not something you can do with native Tivo playback (you have to use FF/REW/skip).

Old 04-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #914
abnersnell

Thanks for the quick reply! I have been using Streambaby from the beginning and I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some "magic" I missed somewhere along the line to just play the HD mpg back after kmttg smoothly.

I don't mind encoding to h.264 it just takes a long time. Is 8Mbps the going bitrate for HD like you use in your default kmttg encode profile? Can I speed up encoding with -threads 4 on a quad-core processor?

Just making sure everyone is in the same boat when it comes to encoding times, it sure does take a while!

Thanks again!

Abner

PS - I tried your latest version of kmttg, but I still have the left-over .edl files after videredo adcut process. I can post over there if need be.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #915
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
So setting a fixed output mode of 720p or 1080i fixes the problem right? Note that Tivo UI in general is in 720p, so if you enter streambaby from UI it should start at 720p mode so you would think that should be OK. Sounds like by bypassing Tivo UI mode and entering directly from a 720p and/or 1080i playback using left button solves the issue. So there seems to be something about entering from Tivo UI that is forcing 480i, perhaps just temporarily.
I used native for quite a long while but then it just got too annoying with constant resolution changes and temporary screen flicker while TV re-syncs. The S3 seems to do a good job scaling anyway so I really don't see a big difference between using native or fixed for my setup so I just bit the bullet and switched to 1080i fixed.
Are you sure Tivo UI is in 720p? Why would when I have it in native format would it be showing 480? When I make the format 720p or 1080i fixed that does fix it though.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #916
moyekj

Quote:
Are you sure Tivo UI is in 720p? Why would when I have it in native format would it be showing 480? When I make the format 720p or 1080i fixed that does fix it though.
If I go to Tivo Central, Now Playing List, etc. with Tivo set to native output all those show 720p from my TV Info when I use Tivo native output.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #917
moyekj

Quote:
I don't mind encoding to h.264 it just takes a long time. Is 8Mbps the going bitrate for HD like you use in your default kmttg encode profile? Can I speed up encoding with -threads 4 on a quad-core processor?
I think 8 Mbps H.264 is probably overkill for most TV HD recordings but that's one of those things where you just have to try it out and tweak it yourself. txporter recently posted here a handbrake recipe that seemed to work well (though be warned it's 2 pass encoding so can take quite a while) and based on that I updated the video_compatibility wiki with that recipe and a roughly equivalent ffmpeg version that is single pass, so probably not quite as good but quicker. Certainly adding more threads to do encoding should help a lot too as you suggested.

I really haven't spent a lot of time experimenting with different encoding recipes to see what works best though that would be a useful thing for someone to do. The HD mpeg2 recordings I do save to my PC are mostly 720p (from ABC) and using S3s I can get about 13-15 Mbps streaming speeds which is more than enough to stream them real time, so I have not had much need to encode them to mp4. The rest of the stuff I stream is DVD mpeg2 which are fine streaming as is to Tivo. Obviously if you can avoid re-encoding that's the best choice for quality.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #918
abnersnell

Quote:
The HD mpeg2 recordings I do save to my PC are mostly 720p (from ABC) and using S3s I can get about 13-15 Mbps streaming speeds which is more than enough to stream them real time, so I have not had much need to encode them to mp4. The rest of the stuff I stream is DVD mpeg2 which are fine streaming as is to Tivo.
This is what I was trying to ask originally. I am taking the same ABC shows, running through every step in kmttg except for the encode and viewing them with streambaby. Unfortunately, not real-time.

I remember reading something about tuning channels to non-channels or not recording at the same time you are streaming to increase bandwidth. Are you doing anything special to get 13-15 Mbps streaming speeds? I wonder if the videoredo adcut step does something to the end result that doesn't allow the real-time stream? I can test that.

streambaby.ini:

#
# ./streambaby --help for more configuration file options
#
dir.1=C:\myvideos
dir.1.name=My Videos
#dir.2=/media/disk
#dir.2.name=External Drive
# Ip address to bind to
# most people don't need to change this.
#ip=192.168.1.37
# port to use
#port=7290
trimextensions=true
use.title=true
preview.quality=20
transcode.disable=false

Last edited by abnersnell : 04-06-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #919
philby85

Graphics interface 2

I thought I'd elaborate on what I was talking about in my previous post.

I have changed the background in my assets folder to a red theater curtain.
See main menu pic. I have also changed the folder icon to a movies folder icon see main menu close pic. It needs to be larger and would be great to have a different icons for each folder.

Then I have changed the movie icon as well, see movie list close pic.

I am not saying the default icons screens etc are ugly just not my style.
If we could as I suggest have a different background for each folder, then instead of the curtain background you could have a jpeg of the cast of the tv show you are about to watch, this looks great on other media players. I am not sure if adding these features are feasible or desirable by anyone but me? I know they are not hardcore features but these simple features could allow many different looks that we could share.

cheers

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main menu.jpg (36.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg main menu close.jpg (36.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg movie list close.jpg (40.6 KB, 21 views)
philby85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #920
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Are you sure Tivo UI is in 720p? Why would when I have it in native format would it be showing 480?
Your Aspect Ratio is set to 4:3. Set it to 16:9. (Settings > Video > TV Aspect Ratio)

The menus proper (text and icons) are a 480-line overlay. But the video background is 480i, if your aspect ratio is set to 4:3; 720p, if 16:9. And the background is what determines the output resolution in Native mode.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #921
moyekj

Quote:
Are you doing anything special to get 13-15 Mbps streaming speeds? I wonder if the videoredo adcut step does something to the end result that doesn't allow the real-time stream? I can test that.
No, editing out commercials with VRD won't affect the average bit rate. I am not doing anything special to get above speeds - those are pretty normal for S3 series Tivos that I am using. The THD/HDXL units are still a little slower than that. They used to be about half the speed of S3s when they first came out but have improved quite a bit since, but the S3s are still faster. With my HDXL unit I can't quite stream real time the ABC HD recordings, but it's usually not an issue with my S3 units (unless they are very loaded at the time). You can improve speed a little by tuning to channels you don't receive thus alleviating load on your Tivo but of course that won't do if you happen to be recording something at the time while you stream.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:57 AM   #922
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Your Aspect Ratio is set to 4:3. Set it to 16:9. (Settings > Video > TV Aspect Ratio)

The menus proper (text and icons) are a 480-line overlay. But the video background is 480i, if your aspect ratio is set to 4:3; 720p, if 16:9. And the background is what determines the output resolution in Native mode.
yeah. I think it's set to 4:3 dynamic or something. Will change it. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #923
fyodor

Quote:
Note that for whatever reason transfer speeds of native mp4 files are quite significantly faster than mpeg2, and of course the bit rates for those are quite a bit smaller compared to mpeg2 as well, so if streaming real time or better is a high priority then making HD mp4 versions is a good option since you can stream them back >> real time to your Tivos.
I'd love to get some systematic data on this. My initial thought was that there was some sort of inbound processing that set a maximum cap on the speed of incoming MPEG-2 data (i.e. no more than say 12 megabits/s). But anecdotally, it seems that people who have relatively slow connections (wireless) receive H.264 video much faster. Even the new shows for which amazon has started delivering as WMVs appear to be getting much faster download speeds (based on the anecdotal reports that I've seen). I'm not sure what could cause such an effect.

F
Old 04-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #924
fyodor

Quote:
This is what I was trying to ask originally. I am taking the same ABC shows, running through every step in kmttg except for the encode and viewing them with streambaby. Unfortunately, not real-time.

I remember reading something about tuning channels to non-channels or not recording at the same time you are streaming to increase bandwidth. Are you doing anything special to get 13-15 Mbps streaming speeds?
How is your Tivo connected to the network?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #925
abnersnell

Quote:
How is your Tivo connected to the network?
It is wired connection into gigabit switch, dual-core 2.6ghz desktop to same switch is gigabit ethernet. I tested a show this morning that was run through VideoRedo Adcut but not re-encoded that Streambaby reports as "Same -15Mbps" in the quality section. It paused after a few seconds and then again after another few seconds. It is a 1080i Monk from USAHD.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #926
moyekj

Quote:
I'd love to get some systematic data on this. My initial thought was that there was some sort of inbound processing that set a maximum cap on the speed of incoming MPEG-2 data (i.e. no more than say 12 megabits/s). But anecdotally, it seems that people who have relatively slow connections (wireless) receive H.264 video much faster. Even the new shows for which amazon has started delivering as WMVs appear to be getting much faster download speeds (based on the anecdotal reports that I've seen). I'm not sure what could cause such an effect.
My guess is that mpeg2 is stored in a special format on Tivos (ty format or whatever it's called) and thus requires additional demuxing/re-muxing in addition to application of encryption while mpeg4 or wmv don't get the demuxing/re-muxing step (but likely still get the encryption applied) and thus take less of the limited resources of a Tivo (CPU & memory).
It's already a known fact that if you transfer .TiVo files from Tivo->PC in native format (&Format=video%2Fx-tivo-raw-tts) that transfers happen at MRV rates instead of TTG rates which can be as much as 2x faster, so any changes that need to be made to a video stream that burden the Tivo resources can slow things down quite considerably.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #927
fyodor

Quote:
My guess is that mpeg2 is stored in a special format on Tivos (ty format or whatever it's called) and thus requires additional demuxing/re-muxing in addition to application of encryption while mpeg4 or wmv don't get the demuxing/re-muxing step (but likely still get the encryption applied) and thus take less of the limited resources of a Tivo (CPU & memory).
It's already a known fact that if you transfer .TiVo files from Tivo->PC in native format (&Format=video%2Fx-tivo-raw-tts) that transfers happen at MRV rates instead of TTG rates which can be as much as 2x faster, so any changes that need to be made to a video stream that burden the Tivo resources can slow things down quite considerably.
Yeah, but in this case, you'd expect very little speed differential for connections that are already bandwidth limited because the Tivo could do the reprocessing faster than the incoming data is received. Whereas it appears (anecdotally) that even wireless and/or internet transfers see much higher MPEG-4 transfer speeds.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #928
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
I think 8 Mbps H.264 is probably overkill for most TV HD recordings but that's one of those things where you just have to try it out and tweak it yourself. txporter recently posted here a handbrake recipe that seemed to work well (though be warned it's 2 pass encoding so can take quite a while) and based on that I updated the video_compatibility wiki with that recipe and a roughly equivalent ffmpeg version that is single pass, so probably not quite as good but quicker. Certainly adding more threads to do encoding should help a lot too as you suggested.
The handbrake profile that I posted was for SD encodes. I haven't done any HD re-encodes, I simply chop out the commercials with VRD and then pull them back up to the Tivo. I would probably push the bitrate up to ~5mbps for HD, but I would need to experiment. I will try to remember to post a profile for handbrake that uses CRF instead of 2-pass tonight. That will make the re-encodes quite a bit faster (35 mins for 42min episode vs 50 mins). I went away from it because I had 1 particular series that gave me vastly different final bitrates (~3700 vs ~2200).

Jason
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #929
JamieP

Quote:
I think you are right. mpeg2 on a series3 is stored, essentially, as a mpeg transport stream, with a little bit of extra tivo "trickplay" indexing in the ty container. Google the "s3tots" program for more details. Credit to ddb user bcc for figuring this stuff out. An mpeg2 program stream need to be converted into a transport stream when received, which no doubt adds overhead.

I tried sending an mpeg2ts transport stream directly to the tivo, but Pytivo wants to convert it into a program stream. I wonder if the tivo can receive transport streams directly, since that is very close to the format it is stored in on the tivo? I see some strings in tivoapp that might be relevant: "mpeg2TransportStream" near "mpeg2ProgramStream" and "avcL41MP4". Also "video/x-tivo-mpeg&System=ts"
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #930
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
I think you are right. mpeg2 on a series3 is stored, essentially, as a mpeg transport stream, with a little bit of extra tivo "trickplay" indexing in the ty container. Google the "s3tots" program for more details. Credit to ddb user bcc for figuring this stuff out. An mpeg2 program stream need to be converted into a transport stream when received, which no doubt adds overhead.

I tried sending an mpeg2ts transport stream directly to the tivo, but Pytivo wants to convert it into a program stream. I wonder if the tivo can receive transport streams directly, since that is very close to the format it is stored in on the tivo? I see some strings in tivoapp that might be relevant: "mpeg2TransportStream" near "mpeg2ProgramStream" and "avcL41MP4". Also "video/x-tivo-mpeg&System=ts"
you probably tried this, but did you try renaming the mpeg transport stream to a plain old mpg and then try it?