TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2009, 06:51 AM   #751
cburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
I'm having a couple issues with streambaby that I don't understand.

2) I'm having aspect ratio problems on some files with Streambaby that work fine with pytivo. What I expect is 16:9 display, but what I get is 4:3 scrunched up video with cropping on the top and bottom.
[/code]
Does it look the same if you use Full Screen, Panel or Zoom on the Tivo?
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #752
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Unless you have discovered a 'don't re-encode' setting in handbrake, I don't believe that's possible.

ffmpeg with the -copy and mencoder with -copy both seem to generate invalid mp4s when I do this. So I'm sure there's SOME way to do this, but haven't figure out how.

Have you TRIED using a lower quality setting. even 5Mbps? really you shouldn't notice a difference (and it'll probably look MUCH better than a stuttery video). If nothing else, it will at least let us figure out if our theory about the transcoding is correct.

Nope, Handbrake will re-encode but its the easy way out. If you really want to do it without re-encoding. eac3to to demux and convert the audio to ac3 at less than or = 448kbps. Then MeGUI/MP4box to remux into a streaming compatible MP4. Works MOST of the time. There is a bug somwhere in mp4box that crashes about 25% of the time for me in this sequence. I mostly let handbrake do its thing and have been happy with the output.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #753
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I like to keep my filenames showing as well instead of the Title names. Set the following in your streambaby.ini to achieve what you want. (Second setting is not really needed once you set 1st but I have it in case I do set use.title=true I still like them sorted by filename so that the episode order is still correct).

use.title=false
sort.filename=true
Thanks, this worked exactly how I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
Does it look the same if you use Full Screen, Panel or Zoom on the Tivo?
It looks the same. 99.9% of the time, I use panel mode.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #754
starks9630

Quote:
There are countless solutions, I'll mention 1. DVDFab is pretty popular since it can rip both DVD and Blu Ray titles.
(From initial window pick "Start DVDFab HD Decrypter" to run free version).

streambaby can play a group of VOB files in sequence so you don't necessarily have to join the main title VOB files together and in fact because of the 1.1GB file size limitation it's probably best to leave them split up anyway.
I tried to play the VOB files, but an error came up on the screen. I change the quality, and now the video and audio are very distorted.
starks9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:42 AM   #755
Saxion
Substantive Member

This is a GREAT program! Thanks so much to the developers!

This has probably been asked before, but: why does TiVo have a 1.1Gb limit on streaming? Is it some misplaced attempt to control file sharing? Is it likely to get fixed someday?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 AM   #756
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxion View Post
This has probably been asked before, but: why does TiVo have a 1.1Gb limit on streaming?
The stream buffer uses disk space. (Otherwise, you couldn't rewind, or buffer ahead.) Since it's not associated with an NPL program, it has to use temporary space, like the Live Buffer does, so it has to be limited in the same way.

The feature was originally designed for use with YouTube, where the videos are all well under the limit.

Quote:
Is it some misplaced attempt to control file sharing?
Not even close. How would that work, anyway?

Quote:
Is it likely to get fixed someday?
Netflix-style streaming works in a completely different way, and the limit doesn't apply there (and as a result, you can't really rewind Netflix streams). Other than that, don't hold your breath. But who knows?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #757
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by starks9630 View Post
I tried to play the VOB files, but an error came up on the screen. I change the quality, and now the video and audio are very distorted.
Works fine for me and others. You'll have to post more details for debugging purposes, such as:
1. Change to com.unwiredappeal=debug in simplelog.properties file to turn on verbose output and restart the program and try playing back the VOB file that is failing, then post output in streambaby.log file here.
2. Post the output of MediaInfo on VOB file that is not playing back.
Only reason I can think of it may not play back correctly is if primary audio track is DTS audio instead of AC3. If that's the problem solution is to make sure you rip only with AC3 audio track.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #758
Saxion
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The stream buffer uses disk space. (Otherwise, you couldn't rewind, or buffer ahead.) Since it's not associated with an NPL program, it has to use temporary space, like the Live Buffer does, so it has to be limited in the same way.
Thanks for the info wmcbrine! True streaming protocols like RTSP don't need to buffer data to support scale changes; the client just sends a SET_PARAMETER to the server with a new Scale factor, and the server changes the rate (including rewind). I guess TiVo isn't implementing a full streaming protocol like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Not even close. How would that work, anyway?
I could see someone having the misguided logic that by limiting the streaming size to short-form video, it decreases the likelihood that it is copyrighted. Thank goodness it appears no such reasoning is behind this .
Old 03-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #759
alexander123

Okay was looking for something like this. Hope it works.
alexander123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #760
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Ok, I spent a couple of hours reading this thread, and got up to page 11 without finding what I was looking for. My apologies if the answer is on page 12, but is this expected behavior?

03/21/09 11:48:11 Listener: 192.168.0.105 I/O Exception handling HTTP GET 139d3fc5-4fe6-40bb-86e7-848519ce786b.stream: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
03/21/09 11:48:18 Listener: connection to receiver closed
03/21/09 11:48:18 Factory: HME receiver disconnected

This occurs after stopping a stream, and "leaving" the application. The app is no longer found in Music, Photos, & Showcases, unless I CTRL-C and restart streambaby.bat in Windows. How do I keep the app persistent in the M,P,&S menu?

I'm using:

Microsoft Windows XP SP3,
Streambaby-0.25,
java version "1.6.0_10"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-b33)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode, sharing)
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #761
carios23

I ran the batch but could not find anything in the folder

My ini

#!/bin/bash
DIRNAME=`dirname $0`
java -Xmx256m -jar "$DIRNAME/jbin/streambaby.jar" $@
dir.1=C:\Users\Christian\Documents\My TiVo Recordings

Last edited by carios23 : 03-21-2009 at 04:47 PM.
carios23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #762
moyekj

carios23, see my post in Coffee House thread you started...

Old 03-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #763
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
My apologies if the answer is on page 12, but is this expected behavior?
03/21/09 11:48:11 Listener: 192.168.0.105 I/O Exception handling HTTP GET 139d3fc5-4fe6-40bb-86e7-848519ce786b.stream: Connection reset by peer: socket write error

This occurs after stopping a stream, and "leaving" the application. The app is no longer found in Music, Photos, & Showcases, unless I CTRL-C and restart streambaby.bat in Windows. How do I keep the app persistent in the M,P,&S menu?
All those messages are normal. However, you should still be able to see Streambaby in Music, Photos & Showcases if you don't terminate the streambaby console. Also, you should get messages such as these when entering Music, Photos & Showcases:
03/21/09 15:50:19 Listener: 192.168.1.107 icon.png HTTP GET - to factory /streambaby/

Old 03-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #764
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
However, you should still be able to see Streambaby in Music, Photos & Showcases if you don't terminate the streambaby console.
I agree! I should still see the app!
My concern is with this message: "Connection reset by peer: socket write error." Should my Tivo try and reconnect after a period of time? I have the same issue with pyTivo disappearing after use as well.

And yes, I do get the HTTP GET messages as well. Here's the entire log file from this morning's session:

03/21/09 11:23:36 Listener: added factory
03/21/09 11:23:36 Main: streambaby ready & listening.
03/21/09 11:23:48 Factory: HME receiver connected
03/21/09 11:26:14 Listener: 192.168.0.105 1fca5253-99db-47e3-a3d1-bc403759aa3a.stream HTTP GET - to factory /streambaby/
03/21/09 11:26:35 Listener: 192.168.0.105 I/O Exception handling HTTP GET 1fca5253-99db-47e3-a3d1-bc403759aa3a.stream: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
03/21/09 11:26:42 Listener: 192.168.0.105 139d3fc5-4fe6-40bb-86e7-848519ce786b.stream HTTP GET - to factory /streambaby/

I have no problems once I'm in the app. So far, all files appear to play without issue. It definitely is a great app - My hat's off to the developer(s). I would just like it to last more than a session at a time.

I had thought about searching the log file for "HME receiver disconnected" or "Connection reset by peer" via a batch file, and if found, restarting streambaby. The logistics of setting such automation in place may be a bit beyond my limited programming skills.

Any suggestions to help debug the situation? Should my Tivo be forcefully closing the connection?

Additional information:
Unhacked/factory Tivo Series 3 connected to:
Wireless G network using:
Tivo's wireless USB adapter

Last edited by orangeboy : 03-21-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added log
Old 03-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #765
moyekj

The "Connection reset by peer" messages occur every time you stop a video - it's just a message that Tivo terminated the stream. Normal and not part of your problem.
The "HME receiver disconnected" message is Tivo disconnecting from the HME application. Again normal and I see the same.

It appears that with your networking setup certain network discovery broadcasts are not making it to your Tivo consistently. This HME app uses JmDNS to "advertise" itself on your network but your Tivo is not consistently picking up the broadcasts. The fact you mentioned pyTivo also has a similar issue where it disappears from your NPL further suggests a networking issue. It looks like when you 1st start the app your Tivo sees it so looks like some broadcasts are making it through. Don't really know what's happening but I will say all the console messages you posted above are fine/normal.
You will probably see the same issue with any other 3rd party HME application since they all "advertise" themselves in a similar manner to streambaby.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #766
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
The "Connection reset by peer" messages occur every time you stop a video - it's just a message that Tivo terminated the stream. Normal and not part of your problem.
The "HME receiver disconnected" message is Tivo disconnecting from the HME application. Again normal and I see the same.

It appears that with your networking setup certain network discovery broadcasts are not making it to your Tivo consistently. This HME app uses JmDNS to "advertise" itself on your network but your Tivo is not consistently picking up the broadcasts. The fact you mentioned pyTivo also has a similar issue where it disappears from your NPL further suggests a networking issue. It looks like when you 1st start the app your Tivo sees it so looks like some broadcasts are making it through. Don't really know what's happening but I will say all the console messages you posted above are fine/normal.
You will probably see the same issue with any other 3rd party HME application since they all "advertise" themselves in a similar manner to streambaby.
Hmmm. Interesting. So if I set up a sniffer (such as wireshark) on my network, I should be able to see JmDNS broadcasting? I'll set up wireshark on a pc that's not running the HME apps, and hope that I see it!

Last edited by orangeboy : 03-21-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: change ethereal to wireshark
Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #767
moyekj

Keary, this sample mp4 came up in another thread related to PAR settings (setting PAR=1:1 with MP4Box fixes aspect ratio for this one). Anyway, the problem is that streambaby crashes on this one but I'm able to stream it fine with tivostream and push it via pyTivo natively without any issues.
I can post debug log if you wish but it's probably easier for debugging if you just download yourself:
http://rapidshare.com/files/206525855/ST09_1_Vision.rar
(If you want you can fix aspect ratio using MP4Box -par 2=1:1)

Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #768
starks9630

if I have a folder of vob files, should it automatically go to the next file? I ripped "The Departed" and I had to manually go to the next file to continue the movie. The 3rd file was in spanish.
starks9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #769
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by starks9630 View Post
if I have a folder of vob files, should it automatically go to the next file? I ripped "The Departed" and I had to manually go to the next file to continue the movie. The 3rd file was in spanish.
To play a group of files with streambaby while in file browser mode you have to select "play" on a folder or "FF" with the cursor on the 1st file in the group (it will play from that file down). See this Wiki page for summary of all remote control functions.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #770
kearygriffin

Quote:
Keary, this sample mp4 came up in another thread related to PAR settings (setting PAR=1:1 with MP4Box fixes aspect ratio for this one). Anyway, the problem is that streambaby crashes on this one but I'm able to stream it fine with tivostream and push it via pyTivo natively without any issues.
I can post debug log if you wish but it's probably easier for debugging if you just download yourself:
http://rapidshare.com/files/206525855/ST09_1_Vision.rar
(If you want you can fix aspect ratio using MP4Box -par 2=1:1)
Thanks, I see the problem-- It may take a bit to fix however. The problem is that there are two different types of "cprt" atoms in MP4s, so I am decoding the copyright atom in this file incorrectly (as an iTunes cprt atom as opposed to a mp4 style cprt atom). The problem is the code needs to differentiate between the two based on the parent atoms, and it is not designed to do this. (It assumes that an XXX atom is the same no matter where in the file it is, but I guess this is not always the case...)

kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #771
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Thanks, I see the problem-- It may take a bit to fix however. The problem is that there are two different types of "cprt" atoms in MP4s, so I am decoding the copyright atom in this file incorrectly (as an iTunes cprt atom as opposed to a mp4 style cprt atom). The problem is the code needs to differentiate between the two based on the parent atoms, and it is not designed to do this. (It assumes that an XXX atom is the same no matter where in the file it is, but I guess this is not always the case...)
OK thanks. FYI using the featured streambaby-0.25 release works fine (I think that has older translated-from-C version of mp4 parsing if I recall correctly).

Old 03-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #772
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Batch vs. Service

Hi,
I'm further exploring the ins and outs of this app. When I run Streambaby as a Service, I am unable to navigate sub-directories, and receive the message "No entries in this Directory". When I run the Streambaby bat file, I can navigate around with no issues. I can see that Streambaby as a Service is correctly reading the .ini file, because it hid password protected folders after I added 'remember.password=false' in the .ini.

Why the difference?
Old 03-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #773
cburbs

Quote:
From looking at the output I think it's probably as simple as not being able to keep up with the HD MKV. It's starting as a HD h264 video and getting transcoded to a HD MPEG2 before sending off to TiVo, which is going to take double the bitrate (I'm guessing, but the original is ~3400kbs so the MPEG2 may end up around ~7000kbs). This may be just to much for the either the CPU or the TiVo handle. (Not sure which, could be either)

I looked back in previous posts, but am not sure if I saw this suggested (or what the results) were. I would simply try to select a different quality in streambaby before playing. I'd try 2000kbs just to see what happens, and move up from there.

(note that the AVI is SD, a lower bitrate, and a lower quality codec at that bitrate so when it gets transcoded it would not end up near the 7000kbs mark)
The low quality will play but looks worse than a VCR tape -- so any recommendations on conversion of these MKV files I am having problems with that will work?
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #774
grantsa4

Anyone have any idea why I am getting these IO exceptions?

03/22/09 15:36:26 Listener: added factory
03/22/09 15:36:26 Main: streambaby ready & listening.
03/22/09 15:36:35 Listener: 192.168.16.102 icon.png HTTP GET - to factory /streambaby/
03/22/09 15:36:39 Factory: HME receiver connected
03/22/09 15:37:00 Listener: 192.168.16.102 f720258a-30bf-462e-a118-066e79fb40e5.stream HTTP GET - to factory /streambaby/
03/22/09 15:38:41 Listener: connection to receiver closed
03/22/09 15:38:41 Factory: HME receiver disconnected
03/22/09 15:38:52 Listener: 192.168.16.102 icon.png HTTP GET - to factory /streambaby/
03/22/09 15:38:55 Factory: HME receiver connected
03/22/09 15:38:58 Listener: 192.168.16.102 I/O Exception handling HTTP GET f720258a-30bf-462e-a118-066e79fb40e5.stream: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
03/22/09 15:39:45 Listener: 192.168.16.102 189fc10e-e346-4f99-ad3a-d26f18a35416.stream HTTP GET - to factory /streambaby/
03/22/09 15:40:36 Listener: 192.168.16.102 I/O Exception handling HTTP GET 189fc10e-e346-4f99-ad3a-d26f18a35416.stream: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
03/22/09 15:40:37 JavaMP4Splitter$Splitter$1: IOException: java.io.IOException: Pipe closed
03/22/09 15:40:37 Listener: connection to receiver closed
03/22/09 15:40:37 Factory: HME receiver disconnected
03/22/09 15:40:55 Listener: 192.168.16.102 icon.png HTTP GET - to factory /streambaby/
03/22/09 15:41:08 Factory: HME receiver connected
03/22/09 15:41:44 Listener: 192.168.16.102 0b7cdd9e-0da2-4058-a98d-81c16d4d32c5.stream HTTP GET - to factory /streambaby/
03/22/09 15:42:14 Listener: 192.168.16.102 I/O Exception handling HTTP GET 0b7cdd9e-0da2-4058-a98d-81c16d4d32c5.stream: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
03/22/09 15:42:27 Listener: connection to receiver closed
03/22/09 15:42:27 Factory: HME receiver disconnected
03/22/09 15:42:50 Listener: 192.168.16.102 icon.png HTTP GET - to factory /streambaby/
grantsa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #775
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Hi,
I'm further exploring the ins and outs of this app. When I run Streambaby as a Service, I am unable to navigate sub-directories, and receive the message "No entries in this Directory". When I run the Streambaby bat file, I can navigate around with no issues. I can see that Streambaby as a Service is correctly reading the .ini file, because it hid password protected folders after I added 'remember.password=false' in the .ini.

Why the difference?
One possibility is that windows services (without special configuration) can't access network shares. Are your directories on a network folder?

Having said that, it's been a while since I have played with streambaby as a windows service, so it's conceivable it just don't work :-)

Old 03-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #776
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsa4 View Post
Anyone have any idea why I am getting these IO exceptions?
All of that is normal-- Are you experiencing any specific problem?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #777
grantsa4

Thanks for the response.

Well everything was working fine on Friday. Now when I start streaming it plays for not even 30 seconds and stops. I can't pause or fast forward or get any further in the file.
grantsa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #778
Wraith

Hi all,

just downloaded streambaby and everything works fine from the windows side. I can browse my folders on the tivo but when I press play on a file it gives me an 'ERROR 0x2e006a \n {FILENAME}' error (replace filename with the filename I am trying to play, and \n with a newline, obviously).

I am using a HD tivo!

I couldn't find anyone else with this issue, I hope I didn't just miss the post in my readthrough!

Last edited by Wraith : 03-23-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #779
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
One possibility is that windows services (without special configuration) can't access network shares. Are your directories on a network folder?
Yes, exactly. I have a remote machine with a smaller processor but much harddrive space (some drives raided) that I dump my files to.

Thanks

Update: Being in a workgroup and not a domain, I created a pseudo Service account by adding a local user with the same name and password on all of my machines that participate in the workgroup. Hopefully this will work! I'll see when I get home from work and can sit in front of the Tivo.

Last edited by orangeboy : 03-23-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added update
Old 03-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #780
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Still a no go with the Service using a local account on the remote machine. Oh well.