TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #601
cahoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Ok not gonna quote the whole mess.. But:

I changed BaseMetaDataModule.java to use code that looked more like code I could find on the net for using saxon.. specifically using TransformerFactoryImpl instead of just TransformerFactory as the class that is instantiated.

Since I made that change, the bug has not popped up again. I tried a *LOT* of times, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that's a fix.. Going to try a few more odd uses, but if it keeps working, I'll be checking it in...
This is certainly an odd problem. If the saxon jar files are not on the classpath, then the JDK (1.5 and1.6) should default to using the internal version, which is Xalan. The way this is supposed to work is that the classloader looks for the first TransformerFactory implementation, and then use that. (This processed is changed slightly if the javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory system property is set explicitly).

It's not clear to me how it's deciding on using net.sf.saxon. One thing to try is to add -Djaxp.debug=true to the command-line. Or -verbose:class to see which classes are loaded.

However, explicitly specifying the saxon library in the source, as you did, fixes the problem...
cahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #602
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahoon View Post
It's not clear to me how it's deciding on using net.sf.saxon. One thing to try is to add -Djaxp.debug=true to the command-line. Or -verbose:class to see which classes are loaded.

However, explicitly specifying the saxon library in the source, as you did, fixes the problem...
I just took a quick look (because I wasn't sure how it was ever using the saxon libraries in the first place, I just know that XSLT 2.0 didn't work before I stuck in the saxon jar, and started (well, most of the time it seems) working afterwards.

But taking a look at the docs again, for TransformerFactory.newInstance():
* Use the Services API (as detailed in the JAR specification), if available, to determine the classname. The Services API will look for a classname in the file META-INF/services/javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory in jars available to the runtime.

And saxon9.jar contains such a file in it's META-INF directory, so my guess is that is why it works at all.

And when the problem does arise, it seems it is looking for the saxon transformerfactoryImpl, but it can't seem to find it. Which is very strange, seeing as it wouldn't even be looking for it if it hadn't loaded the jar and saw the META-INF/services/javax..... file, and that jar contains the class it is looking for. (At least the preceding was true until we started playing around with instantiating the saxon classes manually)

As I am previewing this post I noticed "services api, if available...", which may be some kind of clue, but again, if it wasn't available then it shouldn't even try to launch saxon, and default to the xalan(?) implementations. (Which would throw a different error, complaining about some XSLT elements in the stylesheets that Xalan doesn't support. I wish I could remember exactly what I couldn't get to work with Xalan. It may have been tokenize, which I think Xalan has an extension implementation for, but for some reason I couldn't get working...)

So I guess I have a few choices
1) If Yoav's patches to force saxon work, go with that.
2) Try going back to the default XSLT processor (xalan?) and see what wasn't working, and try to fix it again. (or work around it)
3) Figure out the root of the problem.

#1 is probably the easiest if it works, and #2 has the added benefit of being able to remove a 5 megabyte lib from the distribution...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #603
cahoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
And when the problem does arise, it seems it is looking for the saxon transformerfactoryImpl, but it can't seem to find it. Which is very strange, seeing as it wouldn't even be looking for it if it hadn't loaded the jar and saw the META-INF/services/javax..... file, and that jar contains the class it is looking for. (At least the preceding was true until we started playing around with instantiating the saxon classes manually)
Exactly. This is the part that I think is odd. The JVM/classloader is able to open saxon9.jar to find the META-INF/services information. But, for some reason, the error occurs when trying to instantiate the net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactory class

Quote:
As I am previewing this post I noticed "services api, if available...", which may be some kind of clue, but again, if it wasn't available then it shouldn't even try to launch saxon, and default to the xalan(?) implementations. (Which would throw a different error, complaining about some XSLT elements in the stylesheets that Xalan doesn't support. I wish I could remember exactly what I couldn't get to work with Xalan. It may have been tokenize, which I think Xalan has an extension implementation for, but for some reason I couldn't get working...)
I see. Though, I am surprised it's all working since tokenize is an XPath 2.0 function, but the stylesheet specify 1.0. I guess Saxon isn't checking that? (In general, Saxon is a better XSLT processor, in my opinion. The Sun class library is distributed with Xalan and Xerces, which are Apache projects for XSLT and XML parsing).

Quote:
So I guess I have a few choices
1) If Yoav's patches to force saxon work, go with that.
2) Try going back to the default XSLT processor (xalan?) and see what wasn't working, and try to fix it again. (or work around it)
3) Figure out the root of the problem.

#1 is probably the easiest if it works, and #2 has the added benefit of being able to remove a 5 megabyte lib from the distribution...
I agree - go with #1 if that continues to work. I'm sure there are more interesting things to work on.
cahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #604
conan76

Thanks Kearygriffin. I just did some more testing (before reading your post) and you're spot on. I see you've uploaded a fix already

BTW, Is there anyway to control the colour of sidebars when the picture doesn't fill the whole screen? They're coming up in a bright grey rather than black, whereas if played through TiVo Desktop it is black. Is this an option available in the ini file?
conan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #605
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan76 View Post
Thanks Kearygriffin. I just did some more testing (before reading your post) and you're spot on. I see you've uploaded a fix already

BTW, Is there anyway to control the colour of sidebars when the picture doesn't fill the whole screen? They're coming up in a bright grey rather than black, whereas if played through TiVo Desktop it is black. Is this an option available in the ini file?
Mine are black-- I'm pretty sure that's controlled by:
Message & Settings/Settings/Video/Letterbox Color
(It gives you two options, gray or black)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #606
Sicklybutsexy

doesn't seem like streambaby can send over mp4 videos that are deinterlaced can it? From what I've tried it's only progressive that works?
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #607
conan76

You're quite right kearygriffin! It was just in the tivo settings... surprised I haven't seen this before. Thanks.
conan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #608
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklybutsexy View Post
doesn't seem like streambaby can send over mp4 videos that are deinterlaced can it? From what I've tried it's only progressive that works?
de-interlaced just means you took an interlaced movie and turned it into a progressive movie. So I'm not sure what you're asking. Streambaby gladly accepts interlaced and progressive formats.

Is there a particular video that is failing to play for you?

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #609
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
de-interlaced just means you took an interlaced movie and turned it into a progressive movie. So I'm not sure what you're asking. Streambaby gladly accepts interlaced and progressive formats.

Is there a particular video that is failing to play for you?
sorry, meant interlaced not deinterlaced. I'm not sure, maybe its because the bitrate is too high, but if I convert it to progessive it seems to work.:

General
Complete name : H:\Home Movies\New Home Movies\20090222094827.track_4113-muxed.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 234 MiB
Duration : 3mn 59s
Overall bit rate : 8 199 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-02-27 04:44:47
Tagged date : UTC 2009-02-27 04:44:47

Video
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 3mn 59s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 7 974 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 8 277 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.128
Stream size : 227 MiB (97%)
Encoded date : UTC 2009-02-27 04:44:47
Tagged date : UTC 2009-02-27 04:44:57

Audio
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID : ac-3
Duration : 1mn 59s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 6.39 MiB (3%)
Encoded date : UTC 2009-02-27 04:44:54
Tagged date : UTC 2009-02-27 04:44:57
Old 02-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #610
moyekj

Interlaced mp4 is highly unusual - how are you creating those? Stick with progressive.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #611
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Interlaced mp4 is highly unusual - how are you creating those? Stick with progressive.
It's from a sony handicam that downloads to the computer as .m2ts. I then demux the video and remux as an mp4. Much quicker then converting but I guess I have to convert it to work? I'm not even sure, do you think its interlace that is the problem?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #612
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I doubt it. How are you muxing?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #613
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I doubt it. How are you muxing?
I use tsmuxer gui to get the .h264 and ac3 file and then I remux into an mp4 using megui's mp4 muxer.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #614
kearygriffin

Quote:
I don't know a lot about this kind of subject (I was surprised just a couple of days ago to find out 60hz is a normal FPS for some HD content), but if you could post exactly what seems to happen it may help. (i.e. at exactly what point do you get a failure)

It may help if you edit simplelog.properties and change the first line to read:
com.unwiredappeal=Verbose

and see if there are any error messages in streambaby.log

Again, I have no idea whether or not interlaced MP4 should or should not work, as I have never tried it.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #615
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
I don't know a lot about this kind of subject (I was surprised just a couple of days ago to find out 60hz is a normal FPS for some HD content), but if you could post exactly what seems to happen it may help. (i.e. at exactly what point do you get a failure)

It may help if you edit simplelog.properties and change the first line to read:
com.unwiredappeal=Verbose

and see if there are any error messages in streambaby.log

Again, I have no idea whether or not interlaced MP4 should or should not work, as I have never tried it.
What happens is it sends it over but the audio is out of sync and the picture is moving in what seems to be slow motion. So the audio may be going at the correct rate while the picture is in slow motion. Will try like suggested above. thanks.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #616
Yoav

Quote:
What happens is it sends it over but the audio is out of sync and the picture is moving in what seems to be slow motion. So the audio may be going at the correct rate while the picture is in slow motion. Will try like suggested above. thanks.
If none of that works, AND don't feel like re-encoding the movies, try selecting a quality other than 'same' and see what happens. It's certainly possible that the tivo's mp4 abilities are limited in some yet-unknown-ways and your file is tickling it. I'd like to know if ffmpeg correctly converts it (which is what changing the quality will do).

Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #617
kearygriffin

Quote:
I'm jumping in way over my head here, but does anyone know if interlaced MP4's should have the frame rate set at 29.97 (as the info above shows) or 59.94? Google shows some discussions that say maybe it should be 59.94 (so I guess it would be a field rate, not frame rate in that case)

It would make sense if what you are seeing is slow-mo (half rate)

Old 02-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #618
moyekj

I couldn't find interlaced h.264 clips anywhere via Google. It may be helpful Sicklybutsexy if you could possibly upload a small clip somewhere for further examination.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #619
Yoav

svn update yields:

svn: Failed to add directory 'main/src/mp4/util/.svn': object of the same name already exists

(I'm assuming that's from a mistaken addition of an .svn directory to the repository?)

Old 03-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #620
moyekj

Quote:
svn update yields:

svn: Failed to add directory 'main/src/mp4/util/.svn': object of the same name already exists

(I'm assuming that's from a mistaken addition of an .svn directory to the repository?)
I'm seeing the same error.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #621
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I'm seeing the same error.
If what I think just happened happened, I believe the only way out of it is by doing an entire dump/restore of the database, and I'm not sure if googlesource supports it. (I think .svn/something was added and committed, then deleted and committed). I'm not an svn guru though, so I could be wrong. Either way, until it's fixed you can always do something like

svn update -r 125

Which will get you working sources but without the changes that led to this mess...

Old 03-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #622
kearygriffin

Quote:
If what I think just happened happened, I believe the only way out of it is by doing an entire dump/restore of the database, and I'm not sure if googlesource supports it. (I think .svn/something was added and committed, then deleted and committed). I'm not an svn guru though, so I could be wrong. Either way, until it's fixed you can always do something like

svn update -r 125

Which will get you working sources but without the changes that led to this mess...
Ugh. I was so hoping this wouldn't cause problems. I didn't notice I had accidently added a .svn directory until I commited, and was hoping the delete and re-commit would fix it.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #623
Yoav

Quote:
Ugh. I was so hoping this wouldn't cause problems. I didn't notice I had accidently added a .svn directory until I commited, and was hoping the delete and re-commit would fix it.
Ok I did a forced svn rm on the repository, and I *think* it's fixed now.. can anyone else verify?

Old 03-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #624
kearygriffin

Quote:
Ok I did a forced svn rm on the repository, and I *think* it's fixed now.. can anyone else verify?
Was able to do a full svn checkout to a new directory with no problems, and also had no problems rebase'ing my local git-repository. (Since I had been using git locally and hadn't noticed the problem before, not sure if this confirms it is fixed or not)

Thanks, I would have had no idea how to fix it :-)

Old 03-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #625
moyekj

Yup, all's good now.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #626
Clusty

Can somebody compile the latest revision and upload it?
Clusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #627
Yoav

Heyas keary. I'm not sure if there's a missing jar in lib, or if there's some sort of classpath/source path that is needed.. (or something else). When I use 'ant' on the latest source, I get
Code:
build-project:
     [echo] main: /Users/yoav/src/streambaby/main/build.xml
    [javac] Compiling 167 source files to /Users/yoav/src/streambaby/main/bin
    [javac] /Users/yoav/src/streambaby/main/src/mp4/util/atom/MoovAtom.java:12: cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class MP4Log
    [javac] location: package mp4.util
    [javac] import mp4.util.MP4Log;
    [javac]                 ^
    [javac] /Users/yoav/src/streambaby/main/src/mp4/util/atom/StblAtom.java:9: cannot find symbol
    [javac]                 ^
    [javac] /Users/yoav/src/streambaby/main/src/mp4/util/atom/TrakAtom.java:9: cannot find symbol

Old 03-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #628
kearygriffin

Quote:
Heyas keary. I'm not sure if there's a missing jar in lib, or if there's some sort of classpath/source path that is needed..
Should be fixed. Just forgot to put a new file under SVN control.

Just as a side note, there probably will be a lot SVN activity for the next little bit without a lot to show for it-- I'm working on integrating/trying out Cahoon's MP4 splitting/streaming code vs the original streambaby MP4 splitting/streaming code, but it's not activated by default yet. (And in fact doesn't work yet, so activating it wouldn't be a good idea ;-)

Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #629
Yoav

Quote:
Should be fixed. Just forgot to put a new file under SVN control.

Just as a side note, there probably will be a lot SVN activity for the next little bit without a lot to show for it-- I'm working on integrating/trying out Cahoon's MP4 splitting/streaming code vs the original streambaby MP4 splitting/streaming code, but it's not activated by default yet. (And in fact doesn't work yet, so activating it wouldn't be a good idea ;-)
Ok thanks for the heads up (I've been generally updating and releasing beta builds almost daily, since pytivo, streambaby, and ffmpeg are all getting a bunch of changes checked in.. I don't even know what most of the changes do -- yay betas).

Having said that, I *would* like to release a 'next release' of pyTivoX so that people who aren't using the beta can have access to many of the new features. Not yet.. but hoping to do it fairly soon.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #630
bakerja

installed the latest this weekend and now with the addition of "quality", mp4 files that previously would only show sound with a black screen can now be seen by bumping the quality to anything but "same". Yahooo..

bakerja is offline   Reply With Quote