TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #571
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang1068 View Post
In the category of "wouldn't this be a really cool feature?".

How about replacing the generic movie file icons with animated icons containing a few second loop of the actual movie. ( my archos does this, and I think it is cool - even my 5 year old can pick his movies without knowing how to read
It would be cool, but I'm pretty sure the HME SDK doesn't support animated icons like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #572
Yoav

from code right out of svn:

Code:
Wed 2009/02/25 16:13:33.530|   |master|StreamBabyStream$StreamBabyStreamFactory|uri=movie.png
Wed 2009/02/25 16:13:33.530|   |master|SelectionScreen|focusOn entry=null
Wed 2009/02/25 16:13:35.234|   |Acceptor|SelectionScreen|code=6 rawcode=16778246
javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactoryConfigurationError: Provider net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl not found
        at javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory.newInstance(TransformerFactory.java:109)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.BaseMetadataModule.getXsltTransformer(BaseMetadataModule.java:68)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.BaseMetadataModule.transform(BaseMetadataModule.java:107)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.MP4MetadataModule.parseIsoBoxes(MP4MetadataModule.java:348)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.MP4MetadataModule.setMetadata(MP4MetadataModule.java:368)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.modules.VideoModuleHelper.setMetadata(VideoModuleHelper.java:128)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.dir.DirEntry.getMetadata(DirEntry.java:243)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.PlayScreen.render(PlayScreen.java:101)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.PlayScreen.tick(PlayScreen.java:91)
        at com.tivo.hme.sdk.util.Ticker.run(Ticker.java:143)
Wed 2009/02/25 16:13:46.131|   |Acceptor|Listener|
Wed 2009/02/25 16:13:46.131|   |Acceptor|Listener|connection to receiver closed
(while trying to look at metadata for an mp4 file that had metadata.. though it looks like the place it's breaking is in finding the saxon libs?)

update: it looks like the system javax is providing the TransformerImpl instead of saxon. If I edit CLASSPATH to use the lib directory (where saxon.jar is) it works fine. However, I'm not really the java guru.. is there a 'proper' way to indicate you want something out of saxon instead of javax without modifying the CLASSPATH variable? Or is it 'ok' to just do that?

Last edited by Yoav : 02-25-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #573
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
The most significant (and nice) change is Yoav's patches for HD.
Wow, very nice looking!

|
Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #574
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Wow, very nice looking!
+1

The updated graphics, inclusion of metadata, and selectable level of quality are all really nice touches. Well done, guys!
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:52 AM   #575
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
update: it looks like the system javax is providing the TransformerImpl instead of saxon. If I edit CLASSPATH to use the lib directory (where saxon.jar is) it works fine. However, I'm not really the java guru.. is there a 'proper' way to indicate you want something out of saxon instead of javax without modifying the CLASSPATH variable? Or is it 'ok' to just do that?
I'm going to have to look into this more tomorrow, because my testing shows weird results.

1. I can only make it happen in JDK1.5, JDK1.6 seems to work OK

The strange thing is it seems to be intermittent with JDK1.5. And it seems to happen most often when I switch JDK/JRE versions. (So once it stops happening, running, quitting, running it doesn't seem to happen again until I switch to another JDK/JRE and then switch back...)

The above doesn't make much sense to me so I am probably missing something. I wouldn't think something like this could be intermittent. (Unless somehow transformers are cached by java in some way I don't understand)

Last edited by kearygriffin : 02-26-2009 at 01:58 AM.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 AM   #576
Yoav

Quote:
I'm going to have to look into this more tomorrow, because my testing shows weird results.
Oh wow, more annoying that I thought it would be.
For now, at least on the mac pyTivoX, I seem to have it working 100% by just pointing CLASSPATH at the lib directory -- so that's what I'm having pyTivoX do.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 AM   #577
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

I gotta echo everyone else who's commented on how nice 0.25 looks! I mean, it looked fine before; but now you guys are really making the "official" apps look bad by comparison.

Very nice work!
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #578
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
It would be cool, but I'm pretty sure the HME SDK doesn't support animated icons like that.
It does not support animated GIF icons, but you can use animations from MPG files. I am not sure how to include more than one or two at a time and if the TiVo will become bogged down.

So what could be requested is a small MPG thumbnail movie for the current selected movie and have these be generated in the background perhaps?

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #579
jjburke77

Thanks To All!!!

Just wanted to drop a quick note of thanks in the forums to all you guys.

To all you contributed to code on this project, I am very grateful. A special thanks to windracer for his how-to on Ubuntu with Galleon, and for extra help when I screwed it up.

This is awesome and you guys have done a beautiful thing with this app.

Thanks to all.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #580
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfryar View Post
It does not support animated GIF icons, but you can use animations from MPG files. I am not sure how to include more than one or two at a time and if the TiVo will become bogged down.

So what could be requested is a small MPG thumbnail movie for the current selected movie and have these be generated in the background perhaps?

Rick
I like this idea. Show a static thumbnail icon for all but the currently highlighted item; when the selection focus is moved, show the animation after a little delay (so the tivo won't try to load the animation for each item in the list as you move through them).
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #581
moyekj

Personally I wouldn't vote for for having thumbnail previews next to movie titles. In HME (at least the Java implementation) it's hard enough to deallocate resources properly for simple items such as text, images, etc so I wouldn't want additional resource overhead and potential resource leaks associated with this. I always lean towards the KISS approach.
The new Tivo Search HME application is an example to me of getting carried away with over-emphasis on graphics instead of raw functionality which just serves to slow everything down and doesn't add anything other than aesthetic value.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #582
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yah, I don't really need DVD motion menu-like capabilities on the streambaby screens. Keep it simple, quick, and stick to the core functionality.

|
Old 02-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #583
conan76

Some more suggestions

Thanks for the excellent app! It really is brilliant.

A couple of really minor suggestions:
a) Can you make the 'right' button on the remote bring up the info on the shows during playback? This would make the behaviour the same as the standard tivo functionality. (as I said, really minor)
b) Could the list of titles be changed to include the episode title or episode number? I'm using pytivo metadata, and my tv series are listing as just the series title - hence I can't tell which one is which.

Thanks again!
conan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #584
Yoav

Oh dear, it looks like that saxon transformer problem wasn't fully resolved by setting CLASSPATH.
sigh... Anyone have any suggestions for a consistent workaround?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #585
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan76 View Post
b) Could the list of titles be changed to include the episode title or episode number? I'm using pytivo metadata, and my tv series are listing as just the series title - hence I can't tell which one is which.

Thanks again!
This should be in there, although older versions did not have this and maybe you have older data cached? (When I say it should be in there it should display SERIESTITLE - EPISODETITLE in the selection screen)

Try removing cache/meta.cache and re-running streambaby, then press ENTER while on the selection screen to re-cache all of the entries for that directory.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #586
kearygriffin

Quote:
Oh dear, it looks like that saxon transformer problem wasn't fully resolved by setting CLASSPATH.
sigh... Anyone have any suggestions for a consistent workaround?
Can you reproduce this on a semi-consistent basis (without the classpath modification)? I've gone from it happening sporadically but often last night, to not being able to reproduce it all tonight. (Fun.)

If you can reproduce it relatively frequently, can you try running streambaby with the following:
Code:
java -Djavax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory=net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl  -jar jbin/streambaby.jar
and see if it makes a difference?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #587
kagacins

Another general question - is it possible to maintain the stream as I'm navigating through other TiVo menus or even watching another show? Right now if I navigate away from the streaming file and come back, it has both lost everything in buffer as well as hasn't continued to load additional data for viewing (would be especially useful on HD files where at live speed buffering happens every 10 seconds or so). Thanks!!
kagacins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #588
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagacins View Post
Another general question - is it possible to maintain the stream as I'm navigating through other TiVo menus or even watching another show? Right now if I navigate away from the streaming file and come back, it has both lost everything in buffer as well as hasn't continued to load additional data for viewing (would be especially useful on HD files where at live speed buffering happens every 10 seconds or so). Thanks!!
No not possible. Use pyTivo to download to Tivo instead for that use model.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #589
kagacins

Ah that's a shame. I'm a big fan of pyTiVo, but it's one of these unfortunate situations where the transfer seems to happen for larger HD files much faster for some reason with Streambaby than pyTiVo, but not quite fast enough for live viewing. Oh well, sometimes you can't get the best of both worlds, but I certainly can't complain.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #590
moyekj

Quote:
Ah that's a shame. I'm a big fan of pyTiVo, but it's one of these unfortunate situations where the transfer seems to happen for larger HD files much faster for some reason with Streambaby than pyTiVo, but not quite fast enough for live viewing. Oh well, sometimes you can't get the best of both worlds, but I certainly can't complain.
With the recent addition of native mp4 pushes in wmcbrine's pyTivo fork now you can get transfers to Tivo happening pretty quickly for HD mp4 files. Of course that won't help if you have mpeg2 HD files and don't want to spend time or quality hit to convert them to mp4.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #591
kagacins

Without straying too much from the intent of this specific forum thread, I fear I may be getting in over my head trying to incorporate the fork into my existing pyTiVo setup. Is there some straightforward documentation on how someone could do this, or at least some jumping off point where I can appropriately get up to speed? I found wmcbrine's site, but not really sure where to start.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #592
kearygriffin

Quote:
Can you reproduce this on a semi-consistent basis (without the classpath modification)? I've gone from it happening sporadically but often last night, to not being able to reproduce it all tonight. (Fun.)

If you can reproduce it relatively frequently, can you try running streambaby with the following:
Code:
java -Djavax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory=net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl  -jar jbin/streambaby.jar
and see if it makes a difference?
And you can also try the SVN version I just compiled (and uploaded to SVN):
http://streambaby.googlecode.com/fil...y-svn-r118.zip

The above version doesn't use the javax.xml.transformerFactory, it uses the saxon version directly.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #593
Yoav

Quote:
And you can also try the SVN version I just compiled (and uploaded to SVN):
http://streambaby.googlecode.com/fil...y-svn-r118.zip

The above version doesn't use the javax.xml.transformerFactory, it uses the saxon version directly.
Hmm.
When I use the -D flag that you suggest, I got no improvement. When I download the R118 that you built, it works great as is. When I then use svn to check out the latest code (r119) it breaks the same way...

So was 118 working a random fluke? Or did you do something in the build that isn't in the svn tree?

edit: Looks like a random fluke. I tried it again, and poof error... Although I *am* curious. You said it wasn't using the transformfactory in javax, but the error makes it sound like it still is:

Code:
javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactoryConfigurationError: Provider net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl not found
	at javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory.newInstance(TransformerFactory.java:109)
	at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.BaseMetadataModule.getXsltTransformer(BaseMetadataModule.java:68)
	at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.BaseMetadataModule.transform(BaseMetadataModule.java:107)
	at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.StandardMetadataModule.handlePyTivo(StandardMetadataModule.java:79)
	at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.StandardMetadataModule.handleTxtMetadata(StandardMetadataModule.java:160)
	at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.StandardMetadataModule.setMetadata(StandardMetadataModule.java:249)
	at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.modules.VideoModuleHelper.setMetadata(VideoModuleHelper.java:128)
And right now it seems to be very very random. GRRR Gonna see if I can figure anything useful out.

Last edited by Yoav : 02-27-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #594
moyekj

Quote:
Without straying too much from the intent of this specific forum thread, I fear I may be getting in over my head trying to incorporate the fork into my existing pyTiVo setup. Is there some straightforward documentation on how someone could do this, or at least some jumping off point where I can appropriately get up to speed? I found wmcbrine's site, but not really sure where to start.
I don't know your current setup but you can grab wmcbrine's latest zip file and then just unzip it at top level of your pyTivo installation folder and let it override existing files.
Personally I don't use pyTivo as a service - only run it when I want to use it - so I just unzip to a new folder, put pyTivo.conf in place and double click pyTivo.py to start in console mode. That way you can have multiple different installations in different places if you want to experiment.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:01 AM   #595
kearygriffin

Quote:
Hmm.
When I use the -D flag that you suggest, I got no improvement. When I download the R118 that you built, it works great as is. When I then use svn to check out the latest code (r119) it breaks the same way...

So was 118 working a random fluke? Or did you do something in the build that isn't in the svn tree?

edit: Looks like a random fluke. I tried it again, and poof error... Although I *am* curious. You said it wasn't using the transformfactory in javax, but the error makes it sound like it still is:

Code:
	at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.StandardMetadataModule.handlePyTivo(StandardMetadataModule.java:79)
	at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.StandardMetadataModule.handleTxtMetadata(StandardMetadataModule.java:160)
	at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.StandardMetadataModule.setMetadata(StandardMetadataModule.java:249)
And right now it seems to be very very random. GRRR Gonna see if I can figure anything useful out.
Line 68 referenced above in the SVN version is:
Code:
                TransformerFactory factory = net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl.newInstance();
So it seems to me that it should be the saxon factory being called, not the factory in javax.xml.xxxxx. (But then again, I've never worked with the java XML api's before, so I'm really guessing as I go).

It's really quite confusing because you would think a problem like this would at a minimum be consistent, and it doesn't seem to be.

And just to note when this error should occur, when you select a movie with metadata and go to the "play" screen it always calls this code. It may not in the selection screen if the data is already cached, but it always regenerates for the playscreen. (But it does cache the transform per-run, so if the problem doesn't happen the first time you go to a playscreen that has metadata, my guess is it won't give any problems until you quit and restart)

One other thing to try might be to download the following saxon package:
http://www.saxonica.com/download/saxonsa9-1-0-5j.zip
put all of the included libs (there are a lot more than I included, it's possible I need more than I thought, especially with Java1.5) in the lib directory and rebuild with Ant. (A rebuild is needed so it includes the jar's in the streambaby.jar classpath)

I have to give up for the night, but I'll try again to reproduce it tomorrow night and play around some more. (It was really easy last night...)

Old 02-27-2009, 02:26 AM   #596
conan76

Quote:
This should be in there, although older versions did not have this and maybe you have older data cached? (When I say it should be in there it should display SERIESTITLE - EPISODETITLE in the selection screen)

Try removing cache/meta.cache and re-running streambaby, then press ENTER while on the selection screen to re-cache all of the entries for that directory.
Thanks Kearygriffin. Tried clearing the cache and re-running streambaby. The SERIESTITLE - EPISODETITLE does display at the top of the information page when you select a video, which is great, but it doesn't show in the list of all the videos in the folder that you select from. Is this possible? Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:04 AM   #597
Yoav

Ok not gonna quote the whole mess.. But:

I changed BaseMetaDataModule.java to use code that looked more like code I could find on the net for using saxon.. specifically using TransformerFactoryImpl instead of just TransformerFactory as the class that is instantiated.

Since I made that change, the bug has not popped up again. I tried a *LOT* of times, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that's a fix.. Going to try a few more odd uses, but if it keeps working, I'll be checking it in...

Old 02-27-2009, 03:36 AM   #598
conan76

Okay, some more info on this issue. Turns out some of the series lists are working fine... but this one isn't for some reason. Compared XML and couldn't see any significant difference?!?

As an example, the following shows up in folder lists as "A Racing Car Is Born" rather than "A Racing Car Is Born - Episode 1". It shows correctly on the info page as "A Racing Car Is Born - Episode 1". Can someone else try this and check if there is something strange with my XML?

title : A Racing Car Is Born
seriesTitle : A Racing Car Is Born
episodeTitle : Episode 1
episodeNumber : 1
description : Building a Westfield sports car
isEpisode : true
Old 02-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #599
kearygriffin

Quote:
Okay, some more info on this issue. Turns out some of the series lists are working fine... but this one isn't for some reason. Compared XML and couldn't see any significant difference?!?

As an example, the following shows up in folder lists as "A Racing Car Is Born" rather than "A Racing Car Is Born - Episode 1". It shows correctly on the info page as "A Racing Car Is Born - Episode 1". Can someone else try this and check if there is something strange with my XML?

title : A Racing Car Is Born
seriesTitle : A Racing Car Is Born
episodeTitle : Episode 1
episodeNumber : 1
description : Building a Westfield sports car
isEpisode : true
Thanks Conan, that helped. Just gave the metadata you supplied a try, and ended up with the same problem as you-- Incorrect title in the selection screen.

Looks like there is a bug in streambaby where (only for selection screen title purposes, there is no problem on the play screen) it ignores the last element in the metadata (so isEpisode in this case)

I'll upload a fixed version later today.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #600
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
a) Can you make the 'right' button on the remote bring up the info on the shows during playback? This would make the behaviour the same as the standard tivo functionality. (as I said, really minor)
The Info button will do this.

|