TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #541
cburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
You need a faster network. Are you using wireless? Upgrade to 802.11n.

Your non-improved-speed options are:

1) Leave it paused and let it buffer for longer. It will still pause every 1.1G and you will need to wait again.

2) Before 'play movie', go down to the quality setting, and pick a lower quality. The lower the quality, the faster the movie can transfer to the tivo, but also the worse it looks.

3) use pyTivo to just download the whole movie and not watch it until it's fully downloaded.
It is wired and doing this. I will look at some of the other options you mentioned as well.
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #542
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
It is wired and doing this. I will look at some of the other options you mentioned as well.
It's wired? then I'm curious what bitrate the mkv file is? normally pauses happen because the tivo is not getting the file fast enough...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #543
jannlinder

Quote:
Well, I *think* your files have meaningless PAR/DAR values. a PAR of 0:1 makes no sense (it would be 1:1, or 4:3, or 16:9, or 2.45, or whatnot). Possibly the tivo or ffmpeg is forcing it to a meaningful value, and that value is dependent on the framerate?

I'm wondering, what does 'vlc' do with those files?
VLC plays them at correct ratio with no errors.

Also, makes no sense that PyTivoX plays them all just fine and streambaby does not.

J
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #544
cburbs

Quote:
It's wired? then I'm curious what bitrate the mkv file is? normally pauses happen because the tivo is not getting the file fast enough...
How can I find that out?
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #545
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannlinder View Post

Also, makes no sense that PyTivoX plays them all just fine and streambaby does not.
I know this doesn't actually help; but a random person I've talked to - yeah, that's it, an unidentified stranger - has seen similar issues with widescreen TV shows that were purchased from iTunes then de-DRMed using Requiem. So at least I can say it's not just you.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #546
Clusty

I use a Mac.. it's just that I have a Windows machine that I use for stuff like PyTivo, StreamBaby, and TiVo Desktop. I'll try using MetaX on my mac and see if that does it.
Clusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #547
Yoav

Quote:

J
Well, not saying I *know* what is going on, but it certainly is possible since pyTivo converts it to mpeg-2 using ffmpeg, and streambaby is streaming it. I don't know for sure, but the PAR values you have are DEFINITELY weird, and since PAR is directly related to what stretching is done by the player, I don't think it's out-of-the-realm-of-possibility that your file is just confusing the tivo when streaming.

You *could* manually transcode the file using ffmpeg and see if streambaby likes it better... did changing the 'quality' to something other than same help (this thread is long, and I can't remember if you've answered that yet). That forces streambaby to transcode using ffmpeg...

It could also be that tivo, when presented with a 24fps movie at that resolution, simply doesn't deal with it right, and has nothing to do with the PAR. You could try creating a movie that matches all the other settings but has a valid PAR and see what the tivo does.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #548
kearygriffin

Quote:
Glad it's fixed

Actually, you *CAN* see DVD covers with the metadata. You need to have the cover as the image set in the mp4 file (I use metaX, dunno what's a good tool on windows for it). If you're using another format, I think Keary was planning on adding a new .txt tag to supply an image, but I don't think that's in yet.
The latest SVN version should support
image : file_or_url
in the pyTivo .txt metadata files. You'll will need to tell streambaby to use the html version of the pytivo stylesheet to make it work. Put this in the INI:
xsl.pytivo=pytivo-html.xsl
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #549
kearygriffin

Quote:
Well, not saying I *know* what is going on, but it certainly is possible since pyTivo converts it to mpeg-2 using ffmpeg, and streambaby is streaming it. I don't know for sure, but the PAR values you have are DEFINITELY weird, and since PAR is directly related to what stretching is done by the player, I don't think it's out-of-the-realm-of-possibility that your file is just confusing the tivo when streaming.
Right, pyTivo is converting the file to mpeg-2 before sending it off to the TiVo, whereas streambaby sends the file as-is. (Or pretty much as-is, there is always the possibility that there is something in the streambaby code that messes up the aspect ratio for some files)

The PAR and DAR is probably OK, as 0:1 is what I get for most of my MP4 files. (It basically means no aspect information)

I can't remember what OS jannlinder is using, but if you have the utility MP4Box, if you could post the output of:
MP4Box -info xxx.mp4, it actually does a better job of spitting out the aspect ratio information for MP4's.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #550
Clusty

Quote:
Glad it's fixed

Actually, you *CAN* see DVD covers with the metadata. You need to have the cover as the image set in the mp4 file (I use metaX, dunno what's a good tool on windows for it). If you're using another format, I think Keary was planning on adding a new .txt tag to supply an image, but I don't think that's in yet.
I added a cover to a mp4 on my mac, then moved it over to my windows machine. When I go to it on Stream Baby, it doesn't show a picture.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #551
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusty View Post
I added a cover to a mp4 on my mac, then moved it over to my windows machine. When I go to it on Stream Baby, it doesn't show a picture.
It should :-) Streambaby supports the apple (iTunes) mp4 tags. I think there may be some other "standards" out there. I tested it using a couple of videos purchased from iTunes. (The metadata comes out with the image, but since the video is encrypted I can't actually play them)

Was it metaX that you used, and does it use the standard apple tags?
Old 02-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #552
kearygriffin

Just got done playing with Yoav's HD stuff-- Looks great! Thanks!

Anyone going to have any issues if I make it the default in the next version? (It will fall back to 640 if the TiVo doesn't support HD)

One little question-- Where did the background come from? I just want to make sure I don't get into any problem areas with distributing stuff I shouldn't. (Although I really don't even know where the original blue.jpg came from, so maybe I should just stop asking questions.. ;-)
Old 02-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #553
fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Just pushed up a build of SVN-r101. (Haven't tried it, just ran my script that compiles and uploads the latest SVN version)
Keary:

First, thanks for Streambaby - most interesting and helpful app.

I suspect that your first message still contains the link reference but for those who get occcasionally lost in these long threads, might you include, maybe, a signature with a link in your new posts - if allowed.
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #554
Clusty

Quote:
It should :-) Streambaby supports the apple (iTunes) mp4 tags. I think there may be some other "standards" out there. I tested it using a couple of videos purchased from iTunes. (The metadata comes out with the image, but since the video is encrypted I can't actually play them)

Yeah, it was MetaX and I imported it into iTunes and it showed it so..

How about adding support for pictures in the metadata? That'd be cool.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #555
jannlinder

Quote:
Right, pyTivo is converting the file to mpeg-2 before sending it off to the TiVo, whereas streambaby sends the file as-is. (Or pretty much as-is, there is always the possibility that there is something in the streambaby code that messes up the aspect ratio for some files)

The PAR and DAR is probably OK, as 0:1 is what I get for most of my MP4 files. (It basically means no aspect information)

I can't remember what OS jannlinder is using, but if you have the utility MP4Box, if you could post the output of:
MP4Box -info xxx.mp4, it actually does a better job of spitting out the aspect ratio information for MP4's.

I is using OS X 10.5.x

Here, in order, are 2 files that play fine on StreamBaby and 2 files that do NOT get stretched to 16:9

Plays correctly:
File: #1
Code:
* Movie Info *
	Timescale 1000 - Duration 00:43:59.137
	Fragmented File no - 2 track(s)
	File Brand isom - version 512
	Created: GMT Fri Jan  2 00:00:00 1970

File has no MPEG4 IOD/OD

iTunes Info:
	Name: In The Shadow of Two Gunmen (Part 1)
	Album: The West Wing Season 2
	Genre: TV Show
	Created: 2000-10-04T07:00:00Z
	TrackNumber: 1 / 22

Track # 1 Info - TrackID 1 - TimeScale 30000 - Duration 00:43:59.136
Media Info: Language "Undetermined" - Type "vide:avc1" - 79095 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Visual Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x21
AVC/H264 Video - Visual Size 852 x 480 - Profile Main @ Level 3.1
NAL Unit length bits: 32
Pixel Aspect Ratio 1:1 - Indicated track size 852 x 480
Self-synchronized

Track # 2 Info - TrackID 2 - TimeScale 48000 - Duration 00:43:58.357
Media Info: Language "Undetermined" - Type "soun:mp4a" - 123673 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Audio Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x40
MPEG-4 Audio AAC LC - 2 Channel(s) - SampleRate 48000
Synchronized on stream 1

File #2:
Code:
* Movie Info *
	Timescale 1000 - Duration 00:42:40.258
	File Brand isom - version 512
	Created: GMT Fri Jan  2 00:00:00 1970

File has no MPEG4 IOD/OD

iTunes Info:
	Name: In The Shadow of Two Gunmen (Part 2)
	Album: The West Wing Season 2
	Created: 2000-10-04T07:00:00Z
	TrackNumber: 2 / 22

Track # 1 Info - TrackID 1 - TimeScale 30000 - Duration 00:42:40.257
Media Info: Language "Undetermined" - Type "vide:avc1" - 76731 samples
AVC/H264 Video - Visual Size 852 x 480 - Profile Main @ Level 3.1
Pixel Aspect Ratio 1:1 - Indicated track size 852 x 480
Self-synchronized

Track # 2 Info - TrackID 2 - TimeScale 48000 - Duration 00:42:39.658
Media Info: Language "Undetermined" - Type "soun:mp4a" - 119984 samples
Synchronized on stream 1

Plays *in*correctly:
File: #1
Code:
* Movie Info *
	Timescale 23976 - Duration 00:43:38.118
	File Brand mp42 - version 1
	Created: GMT Thu May 10 11:35:21 2007

File has no MPEG4 IOD/OD

iTunes Info:
	Name: War Crimes
	Album: The West Wing Season 3
	Created: 2001-11-07T07:00:00Z
	TrackNumber: 6 / 23

Track # 1 Info - TrackID 1 - TimeScale 23976 - Duration 00:43:38.118
Media Info: Language "English" - Type "vide:avc1" - 62772 samples
AVC/H264 Video - Visual Size 852 x 480 - Profile Baseline @ Level 3
Self-synchronized

Track # 2 Info - TrackID 2 - TimeScale 48000 - Duration 00:43:37.472
Media Info: Language "English" - Type "soun:mp4a" - 122694 samples
Synchronized on stream 1
File #2:
Code:
* Movie Info *
	Timescale 23976 - Duration 00:42:29.924
	File Brand mp42 - version 1
	Created: GMT Thu May 10 03:47:42 2007

File has no MPEG4 IOD/OD

iTunes Info:
	Name: Gone Quiet
	Album: The West Wing Season 3
	Created: 2001-11-14T07:00:00Z
	TrackNumber: 7 / 23

Track # 1 Info - TrackID 1 - TimeScale 23976 - Duration 00:42:29.924
Media Info: Language "English" - Type "vide:avc1" - 61137 samples
AVC/H264 Video - Visual Size 852 x 480 - Profile Baseline @ Level 3
Self-synchronized

Track # 2 Info - TrackID 2 - TimeScale 48000 - Duration 00:42:29.312
Media Info: Language "English" - Type "soun:mp4a" - 119499 samples
Synchronized on stream 1
How's that?

PS: The files that play correctly have a
Code:
Timescale: 1000
whereas the files that play INcorrectly have a
Code:
TimeScale 23976
at the MOVIE INFO Section. The Track #1 section is correct at 23975 or 30000 (which i assume is the framerate without the decimals...)...

Also the File Brand ISOM is version 512 for those that DO play correctly and version 1 for those that do not.

Most informative is: Pixel Aspect Ratio 1:1 - Indicated track size 852 x 480

That does not exist in the files that DO NOT play correctly.

Is this a hint?

In the same vein... if the "Pixel Aspect Ratio 1:1 - Indicated track size 852 x 480" missing is the issue...is there another way to reinsert that "information" into the track without lossy re-encoding?

TIA

J
Old 02-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #556
moyekj

Not a big deal but there are still a couple of issues I noticed with the HD setup:
1. In metadata page (txt mode, I haven't played with html mode) some low hanging characters get cut off because the height is not quite big enough. For example, the bottom of the "g" in "Coverage"
2. Long titles get chopped off at both beginning and end. This can be solved by specifying that title can wrap (in ScreenTemplate.java):
title.setFlags(RSRC_VALIGN_TOP | RSRC_TEXT_WRAP);
However, since the title font is so huge trying to accomodate another line of title text vertically is somewhat difficult. A smaller title font would probably allow for 2 lines without problem.

Like I said, no biggie and I can live with those issues but thought I would report what I noticed.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #557
kearygriffin

Quote:
Most informative is: Pixel Aspect Ratio 1:1 - Indicated track size 852 x 480

That does not exist in the files that DO NOT play correctly.

Is this a hint?

In the same vein... if the "Pixel Aspect Ratio 1:1 - Indicated track size 852 x 480" missing is the issue...is there another way to reinsert that "information" into the track without lossy re-encoding?
That would be my guess as to what the issue is. As with everything, it's probably possible to reinsert the aspect information into the stream, but unfortunately I believe it is encoded into a part of of the MP4 that streambaby doesn't currently parse, so it's not easy. (And from looking through the source code of MP4Box it is bit complicated to parse/change the info we would need to change)

Last edited by kearygriffin : 02-22-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #558
jannlinder

Quote:
That would be my guess as to what the issue is. As with everything, it's probably possible to reinsert the aspect information into the stream, but unfortunately I believe it is encoded into a part of of the MP4 that streambaby doesn't currently parse, so it's not easy. (And from looking through the source code of MP4Box it is bit complicated to parse/change the info we would need to change)

Keary,

Sorry if I did not make myself clear...

Is there something in particular that **I** could do on **MY** end to re-encode the files so they have this. I can write a script that looks through all of my mp4s and re-encodes (direct video and audio copy) to put this back in ... that is, if it is a "container" issue and not a direct mp4 stream issue.

J
Old 02-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #559
Yoav

Quote:
One little question-- Where did the background come from? I just want to make sure I don't get into any problem areas with distributing stuff I shouldn't. (Although I really don't even know where the original blue.jpg came from, so maybe I should just stop asking questions.. ;-)
Stop asking questions *hides in corner*

(I think I pulled up images.google.com, and types something like 'background movie' or maybe 'background reel' or something, and that image came up. I'm fairly sure it had some CC licensing with it, but I'm not gonna vouch for that). Then I loaded it up into photoshop, cropped/resized, editted to create a darker rounded rectangle for where the text goes, and a highlighted outline. Then I took the standard tivo image, size it appropriately, added a background highlight, and pasted it....

(so yeah.. it's *mostly* kosher... if you have a background you're 100% sure is kosher I'm happy to make a different one from it).

Old 02-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #560
Yoav

Quote:
Not sure if it uses the standard apple tags, but that's how I tested my mp4 metadata and I definitely had an image showing... so MetaX is doing the right thing...

I'll go make sure the pytivo.txt html stuff works too.. (if it does, it would probably be good to make it the default too -- yay consistency). Gonna make it default on pyTivoX in the meanwhile....

Last edited by Yoav : 02-22-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #561
kearygriffin

Quote:
Keary,

Sorry if I did not make myself clear...

Is there something in particular that **I** could do on **MY** end to re-encode the files so they have this. I can write a script that looks through all of my mp4s and re-encodes (direct video and audio copy) to put this back in ... that is, if it is a "container" issue and not a direct mp4 stream issue.

J
Got it. I think I was thinking about what I could in streambaby to handle the issue even before you asked the question, so I had it on my mind.

Since I don't have any files that exhibit the issue, I am not sure if this will work, but it usually does good things to MP4 files:

MP4Box -isma in.mp4 -out out.mp4
(Double check that syntax before you run it... I think that's right, but I don't want you to accidentally clobber an MP4 because I posted the wrong command)

That command rewrites the MP4 as a ISMA compliant MP4. No idea if that means it will add the pixel aspect ratio or not, but whenever I have an iffy MP4 that command tends to take care of it.

If the issue is with the missing pixel aspect information, then it's in the MP4 container, not the video, so you should be able to find something to fix the file without reencoding, even if the above doesn't work.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #562
kearygriffin

Just compiled a new version from the SVN:
http://streambaby.googlecode.com/fil...y-svn-r103.zip

Mostly just some small changes to the HD/non-HD display. Also switches to using HTML for pyTivo metadata for support of the image tag.

If this version seems to work for people, I'll compile a release version and put a new featured version defaulting to HD on the front page.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #563
jannlinder

Quote:
Got it. I think I was thinking about what I could in streambaby to handle the issue even before you asked the question, so I had it on my mind.

Since I don't have any files that exhibit the issue, I am not sure if this will work, but it usually does good things to MP4 files:

MP4Box -isma in.mp4 -out out.mp4
(Double check that syntax before you run it... I think that's right, but I don't want you to accidentally clobber an MP4 because I posted the wrong command)

That command rewrites the MP4 as a ISMA compliant MP4. No idea if that means it will add the pixel aspect ratio or not, but whenever I have an iffy MP4 that command tends to take care of it.

If the issue is with the missing pixel aspect information, then it's in the MP4 container, not the video, so you should be able to find something to fix the file without reencoding, even if the above doesn't work.
Yippee -- solved it with another MP4Box thingie:

HINT: To use this you CANNOT have ripped or use ANAMORPHIC with your mp4 file. these are a bunch of older mp4's and I know i did not. If you did rip anamorphic, the 1:1 would NOT be correct.

Code:
MP4Box -par 1=1:1 FILENAME.mp4
That wrote the PAR to be correct at a 1 to 1 aspect ratio since my pixels are not anamorphic.

Fixed it!

J
Old 02-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #564
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Not a big deal but there are still a couple of issues I noticed with the HD setup:
1. In metadata page (txt mode, I haven't played with html mode) some low hanging characters get cut off because the height is not quite big enough. For example, the bottom of the "g" in "Coverage"
2. Long titles get chopped off at both beginning and end. This can be solved by specifying that title can wrap (in ScreenTemplate.java):
title.setFlags(RSRC_VALIGN_TOP | RSRC_TEXT_WRAP);
However, since the title font is so huge trying to accomodate another line of title text vertically is somewhat difficult. A smaller title font would probably allow for 2 lines without problem.

Like I said, no biggie and I can live with those issues but thought I would report what I noticed.
Thanks Keary, I verified both of these minor issues are solved in latest SVN (and I like the smaller title font which now wraps and fits in 2 lines).

Also, I hadn't seen the HTML rendering of metadata before - it looks very nice and a good complement to the whole HD upgrade. Ship it.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

Last edited by moyekj : 02-25-2009 at 12:58 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:17 AM   #565
rfryar
My Media, My Way

I agree that the latest SVN version looks great. I love the new HD look.

Great work everybody!

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #566
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Also, I hadn't seen the HTML rendering of metadata before - it looks very nice and a good complement to the whole HD upgrade. Ship it.
Thanks again to Yoav for the HD stuff-- The HTML font's looked pretty bad in 640x480, which is why the default was non-HTML. In HD the the font's look great.

I did notice a couple small issues in the new version that I will try to take care of, and post up a new version tomorrow. (Some preview aspect issues, I think mostly related to generated thumbnails. I think realtime preview has correct aspect). Also a couple of small positioning issues. (title a little off-center, and when pressing number keys during playback they overlap the shuttlebar).

I also wanted to mention that I haven't stopped working on some of the problematic MP4's people have had-- I'm actually taking a look at some of code cahoon wrote to do mp4 splitting, and possibly replacing my current MP4 parsing code with his code. His code was written ground-up in java, whereas the current MP4 parsing code I (badly) translated from C. I'm not sure if moving to his codebase will fix the issues, but it will certainly make debugging/fixing things a lot easier. When I do make the switch I'll probably temporarily keep both versions of the MP4 parsing in the code so people can switch between versions until one of them clearly works better than the other.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #567
mustang1068

In the category of "wouldn't this be a really cool feature?".

How about replacing the generic movie file icons with animated icons containing a few second loop of the actual movie. ( my archos does this, and I think it is cool - even my 5 year old can pick his movies without knowing how to read )

Thanks for the great program!
mustang1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #568
kearygriffin

Streambaby V0.25

Just uploaded streambaby V0.25. Here is the changelog from V0.24.

The most significant (and nice) change is Yoav's patches for HD. This version is very close to the last SVN binary release, but has a couple of display related bugfixes.

===V0.25===
* Force transcoding of MP4's if profile > High or Level > 41
* Internal reorg-- Get icon for display from parsed file type (folder, video, dvd, etc)
* Changed re-interleaving code to work based on DTS (decoding time stamp) rather than PTS (presentation time stamp)
* pytivo-html.xsl supports image : tag with URL to image to use in metadata
* Internal changes to possibly support another MP4 pseudo-streaming module
* added config option hme.res to set hme resolution to use
* Added Yoav's patches to add HD support
* Force transcode if audio is not 44100k or 48000k
* When transcoding force sample rate of 44100k or 48000k
* Change default to HD
* Change default xsl for pytivo metadata to HTML version

I probably need to update the Wiki with new configuration parameters (I'm a couple of releases behind), but will put it off again... The only parameter I will mention here is if you want to switch back to the old 640x480:
hme.res=480
But HD really does look significantly better.

Last edited by kearygriffin : 02-25-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #569
Yoav

Quote:
The only parameter I will mention here is if you want to switch back to the old 640x480:
hme.res=640
But HD really does look significantly better.
Small question, is it really 640 and not 480 for the old resolution?

Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #570
kearygriffin

Quote:
Small question, is it really 640 and not 480 for the old resolution?
Nope, not really :-)

As Yoav points out (and I just edited my previous post) it should be
hme.res=480

For 640x480 mode.