TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #511
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Ok just checked into svn a change to support CC text at multiple resolutions. Basically, the old setting had a variable "cc.fontsize" that defaults to 20 pixels. You can still specify that variable as pixels, but now have the option to use a value from
<tiny, small, medium >
which will use a size that is a variable number of pixels depending on the resolution being used.

I tried it with an srt file I pulled off then internet, and seems to be working fine at both hd and regular, so checked in. Please tell me if it seems like I broke something.

Now to figure out the html scaling and use a stylesheet instead of a fixed font size there...
Thanks Yoav, the changes are looking good thus far. I just confirmed the cc font size fix in HD mode.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #512
Clusty

How do I apply the patches you guys are posting?
Clusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #513
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusty View Post
How do I apply the patches you guys are posting?
Checkout the latest SVN and then use Ant to build the distribution or import the whole hierarchy into Eclipse. Unless you are familiar with SVN and Java development this may prove too hard and you are better off waiting for next release by Keary.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #514
jannlinder

Just wondering. Does TiVo have some sort of User Interface Guideline that denotes certain background colors for certain things? I am *LOVING* the HD blue version for StreamBaby now!!! Great graphic guys! Gotta find out how to use a font size that is about 1 size higher than is normal for the description as for smaller HD TV's doing 720p it is kinda unreadable....but beautiful all the same!

J
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #515
jannlinder

ps: any idea why aspect ratio is off for StreamBaby on files that play fine on PyTivoX?

(see my posting about 5 posts back)

J
Old 02-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #516
Yoav

Ok, I have a MAJOR issue with the CSS stuff, figured I'd ask here see if anyone is knowledgeable...

I put in the code change so that it uses a different CSS stylesheet depending on the vertical resolution being used (so right now, something like style-480.css and style-720.css cover the only resolutions we're likely to see). It's all well and good, except I have a HUGE annoyance:

I use css to tell it to 'float' the cover art to the right (instead of using the img attribute align=right). This is all well and good. However, before there was a 'width=30%' setting in the img attribute. That looked fine in 640x480, but at 1280x720 30% looks too big. So I pushed out the width into the CSS sheet. However, now when I specify width=5% (just for testing), instead of properly scaling the image, I get a VERY VERY thin image. I thought adding height=auto, would fix it, but no. I can do things like setting width AND height to fixed numbers, or percentages of the screen size, but all of them stretch the image to exactly that size, and so ignore aspect ratio.

So, is there a way to 'stretch while preserving aspect ratio' using CSS in a way that is supported by the html renderer? Assuming I can't figure it out, would people be 'unhappy' with a 'stretched' image? I can try 'stretching' it to a fixed 'poster-size' aspect ratio.. don't most people use that for their coverart anyways?

(keary or moyekj?)

edit: So I'm going to go with the 'stretched to a fixed size' since I think it will look nicer than 'shrunk to 30% of the width' anyways (some images were causing 'page down' to be needed.. I think it's better to squish those. We can easily back it out. Checking in to latest svn now.

Last edited by Yoav : 02-22-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #517
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannlinder View Post
Just wondering. Does TiVo have some sort of User Interface Guideline that denotes certain background colors for certain things? I am *LOVING* the HD blue version for StreamBaby now!!! Great graphic guys! Gotta find out how to use a font size that is about 1 size higher than is normal for the description as for smaller HD TV's doing 720p it is kinda unreadable....but beautiful all the same!

J
afaik there is no interface guideline controlling what you can use for a background.

As for the font size, unfortunately right now there's only a 'global' font size for things like 'list items' and such. It *is* possible to override it, but would take a bunch more work. I'm assuming that's not the font that is giving you problems since I can see it fine even on my monitor).

If it's only small on certain pages, like the metadata page right before you select quality and hit play, that is fixed with the latest code (it was using a very tiny tiny font size before, now it will pick an appropriate size for the resolution).

Try out the latest svn and tell me if things improved or if it still needs a larger font?

Old 02-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #518
Yoav

Quote:
ps: any idea why aspect ratio is off for StreamBaby on files that play fine on PyTivoX?

J
Saw it, thought of the obvious solution, apparently that's not it, so no clue Is it working fine if you choose a different quality (which should kick of a transcode, which *should* end up doing something very similar to what pytivo does).

IF it really is video only of a certain framerate, it could be that tivo is just confused about what to do with those (or is expecting some additional info about PAR or whatnot just for that framerate). but as I said "no clue"

Old 02-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #519
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
So, is there a way to 'stretch while preserving aspect ratio' using CSS in a way that is supported by the html renderer? Assuming I can't figure it out, would people be 'unhappy' with a 'stretched' image? I can try 'stretching' it to a fixed 'poster-size' aspect ratio.. don't most people use that for their coverart anyways?
In HTML if you just set either just the height or just the width to a fixed pixel size, it will scale the image and preserve the aspect ratio. However you mentioned that you tried this with a percentage and it did not seem to work.

So while it works in HTML, I can not say it will work with the TiVos HTML.

I feel it would be better to resize the image physically via the Java server side code instead anyways, and that way you know the exact height and width before resizing.

Regards,

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #520
cburbs

Please be easy on my ?s here....I have streambaby working with just listing a directory in the .ini file. My question pertains to all the other options and if they are needed -

In question is the stuff mentioned at these two locations -

http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/wiki/StreamBabyIni

http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/...ualitySettings
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #521
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
Please be easy on my ?s here....I have streambaby working with just listing a directory in the .ini file. My question pertains to all the other options and if they are needed -

In question is the stuff mentioned at these two locations -

http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/wiki/StreamBabyIni

http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/...ualitySettings
The only ones you probaby need to get going are:
Code:
ip=<your IP address>
ffmpeg.path=<full path to a working ffmpeg program>
dir.1=<full directory path to where you have movies>
dir.1.name=<name you want to share it as>

Old 02-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #522
cburbs

Quote:
Code:
ip=<your IP address>
I have it working as of right now - I don't know about all file types.

Where should this point to?

IN E:\streambaby-0.24\native there is a ffmpeg.exe and ffplay.exe file -

Is this what you mean?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #523
jannlinder

Quote:
Code:
ip=<your IP address>

Just a question ... does the ffmpeg.path override the ffmpeg jar file that ships with streambaby? or is that jar file just a library that helps it control the ffmpeg you specify in the ffmpeg.path?

Just wondering

Thanks for answering so many questions.

J
Old 02-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #524
Yoav

Quote:
Oh don't bother with that one. I forgot that on windows it will go and fetch an ffmpeg program and put it in the 'right place'.
So that's one less variable for you to set.

Practically speaking, the defaults are 'fine'. So you don't need to set anything else if it works for you. Unless you're trying to do something 'else', in which case, tell us what it is and we can try figuring out the variable for you...

Old 02-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #525
Clusty

Quote:
afaik there is no interface guideline controlling what you can use for a background.

As for the font size, unfortunately right now there's only a 'global' font size for things like 'list items' and such. It *is* possible to override it, but would take a bunch more work. I'm assuming that's not the font that is giving you problems since I can see it fine even on my monitor).

If it's only small on certain pages, like the metadata page right before you select quality and hit play, that is fixed with the latest code (it was using a very tiny tiny font size before, now it will pick an appropriate size for the resolution).

Try out the latest svn and tell me if things improved or if it still needs a larger font?
I'm using SVN-r98 and it's still very small on the metadata page.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #526
kearygriffin

Quote:

Where should this point to?

IN E:\streambaby-0.24\native there is a ffmpeg.exe and ffplay.exe file -

Is this what you mean?
Really the only setting you should have to worry about in most situtations is dir.x to set your video directory. ffmpeg.path will default to using the ffmpeg.exe in the native directory (on windows) so that should be fine without having to set it. And you probably will only have to change the ip= if you have multiple network cards in your PC, otherwise just leave it out also and everything should be all set.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #527
kearygriffin

Quote:

J
No idea, it is interesting that the difference seems to be the FPS for the ones that work vs the ones that don't work.

And just to make sure I understand, the video is 16:9 video and is displaying (through streambaby) "squished" like the tivo thinks its 4:3?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #528
Yoav

Quote:
I'm using SVN-r98 and it's still very small on the metadata page.
Given that the fix went into the latest svn (100) I'd hazard that you haven't yet tried the latest. There should be an 'official' release that includes it soon, but until then you can wait or pull the source from svn and build it...

Old 02-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #529
Clusty

Is there a guide or how-to anywhere on how to build it? What do I need to do that? I'm fairly computer-literate so I doubt it'd be too hard.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #530
kearygriffin

Quote:
Given that the fix went into the latest svn (100) I'd hazard that you haven't yet tried the latest. There should be an 'official' release that includes it soon, but until then you can wait or pull the source from svn and build it...
Just pushed up a build of SVN-r101. (Haven't tried it, just ran my script that compiles and uploads the latest SVN version)
Old 02-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #531
Yoav

Quote:
Is there a guide or how-to anywhere on how to build it? What do I need to do that? I'm fairly computer-literate so I doubt it'd be too hard.
edit: looks like Keary beat my reply with a build. So just get the build . But if you want to try for fun and profit:

Instructions for how to check out the code are at the googlecode source page: http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/source/checkout

(you will need svn).

To build it, just run 'ant' in the toplevel, or use some IDE like Eclipse.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #532
jannlinder

[quote=kearygriffin;7088960]No idea, it is interesting that the difference seems to be the FPS for the ones that work vs the ones that don't work.

Yup... for some reason the 23.9x files that are 852x480 all play at 640x480 (squished).

The 29.97 files that are 852x480 all play at 16:9 (852x480?)

No change in the aspect setting on any of the tivos I have tried (3). All tivoHD's in my house all exhibit the same behavior! They are all TivoHDs. Does this help at all?

Anything else I can help you with to troubleshoot, K?

Jann
Old 02-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #533
Yoav

Can you try just running

ffmpeg -i <filename>

on one of the non-stretched and one of the stretched ones? I'm curious what it reports as the PAR and the DAR for them

Old 02-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #534
Clusty

The version that kearygriffin uploaded fixes the small metadata text problem.

Here's a suggestion, why not use the default TiVo graphics for the folder icons and such?

It'd also be awesome if we could see DVD covers along with the metadata.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #535
jannlinder

Quote:
Can you try just running

ffmpeg -i <filename>

on one of the non-stretched and one of the stretched ones? I'm curious what it reports as the PAR and the DAR for them

Here are 2 files that are not stretched and plays incorrectly:
#1:
Duration: 00:42:29.9, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1642 kb/s
Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264, yuv420p, 852x480 [PAR 0:1 DAR 0:1], 23.98 tb(r)
Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: mpeg4aac, 48000 Hz, stereo

#2:
Duration: 00:43:38.1, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1642 kb/s

Here are 2 files that *are* stretched and DOES play correctly:
#1:
Duration: 00:43:59.1, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1634 kb/s
Stream #0.0(und): Video: h264, yuv420p, 852x480 [PAR 0:1 DAR 0:1], 29.97 tb(r)
Stream #0.1(und): Audio: mpeg4aac, 48000 Hz, stereo
#2:
Duration: 00:42:40.2, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1635 kb/s
Stream #0.0(und): Video: h264, yuv420p, 852x480 [PAR 0:1 DAR 0:1], 29.97 tb(r)
Stream #0.1(und): Audio: mpeg4aac, 48000 Hz, stereo

Does that help?
Old 02-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #536
cburbs

OK I just tried playing a MKV file and it pauses itself every 10 seconds or so. Do I need to do something to fix this issue?
Old 02-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #537
etsolow
Don't Try

TC CLUB MEMBER
Such a cool app! I want it to work with my S2s!
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #538
Yoav

Quote:
Here are 2 files that are not stretched and plays incorrectly:
#1:
Duration: 00:42:29.9, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1642 kb/s
Well, I *think* your files have meaningless PAR/DAR values. a PAR of 0:1 makes no sense (it would be 1:1, or 4:3, or 16:9, or 2.45, or whatnot). Possibly the tivo or ffmpeg is forcing it to a meaningful value, and that value is dependent on the framerate?

I'm wondering, what does 'vlc' do with those files?

Old 02-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #539
Yoav

Quote:
OK I just tried playing a MKV file and it pauses itself every 10 seconds or so. Do I need to do something to fix this issue?
You need a faster network. Are you using wireless? Upgrade to 802.11n.

Your non-improved-speed options are:

1) Leave it paused and let it buffer for longer. It will still pause every 1.1G and you will need to wait again.

2) Before 'play movie', go down to the quality setting, and pick a lower quality. The lower the quality, the faster the movie can transfer to the tivo, but also the worse it looks.

3) use pyTivo to just download the whole movie and not watch it until it's fully downloaded.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #540
Yoav

Quote:
The version that kearygriffin uploaded fixes the small metadata text problem.

Here's a suggestion, why not use the default TiVo graphics for the folder icons and such?

It'd also be awesome if we could see DVD covers along with the metadata.
Glad it's fixed

Actually, you *CAN* see DVD covers with the metadata. You need to have the cover as the image set in the mp4 file (I use metaX, dunno what's a good tool on windows for it). If you're using another format, I think Keary was planning on adding a new .txt tag to supply an image, but I don't think that's in yet.