TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-31-2009, 06:30 PM   #331
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasa View Post
windracer I used your instructions to integrate streambaby with galleon and everything was fine on Kubuntu, then I tried on Vista and it does not work here is error it is giving me
My guess is that you don't have the classpath added correctly to the wrapper.conf file (step 4) or you didn't use the next sequential number in the classpath line (there can't be any gaps).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #332
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
No, it doesn't detect changes, so starting and stopping is the correct thing to do. It sounds like those videos need the reinterleaving for the TiVo to "like" them. Do you have a utility called MP4Box? If so you can try running:
MP4Box -isma <infile>.mp4 -out <outfile>mp4

It should reinterleave the file properly, and I'd be curious to see the results.
Okay, I was able to install mp4box on my Mac and try this out. Running mp4box on the file does indeed solve the problem with the dropped frames. It does reintroduce the "old images/blockiness appears at the beginning of a video" problem; but that's an acceptable tradeoff.

I did find something else out that may be of interest to Mac users - Handbrake's "web optimized" option also muxes the file, in addition to shifting the moov atom. The documentation on that option is nonexistent, but I'd wondered about this based on how Quicktime labels those files in its info window. Re-encoding with this option set also fixed this particular problem.

As a side note: Somebody's put together an unofficial fink package for mp4box - it works well.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #333
bluehz

Ahhh... I haven't tried it yet but it makes sense since I had the streambaby.dir setting pointing to the galleon/hme location thinking thats where it needed to point. I was unaware the streambaby directory was any use after moving the jar and ini files to the galleon location.

I would like to keep it clean, can I move the whole streambaby dir to the galleon dir /usr/share/galleon or is there a more recommended location to move it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I had this too the first time I tried too and it was because I mistyped my path for the streambaby.dir setting. if you check the wrapper.log, you'll probably see something about it not being able to find blue.jpg (the background image which is under the assets folder).

bluehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:15 PM   #334
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
Okay, I was able to install mp4box on my Mac and try this out. Running mp4box on the file does indeed solve the problem with the dropped frames. It does reintroduce the "old images/blockiness appears at the beginning of a video" problem; but that's an acceptable tradeoff.

I did find something else out that may be of interest to Mac users - Handbrake's "web optimized" option also muxes the file, in addition to shifting the moov atom. The documentation on that option is nonexistent, but I'd wondered about this based on how Quicktime labels those files in its info window. Re-encoding with this option set also fixed this particular problem.

As a side note: Somebody's put together an unofficial fink package for mp4box - it works well.
Ok, so in my next version I will get rid of my workaround for the blockiness, which will fix the dropped frames/muxing issue without needing to run MP4Box (or handbrake) on them. Then I'll go back to figuring out why the original blockiness occurs, but I am not really hopefully.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #335
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehz View Post
I would like to keep it clean, can I move the whole streambaby dir to the galleon dir /usr/share/galleon or is there a more recommended location to move it?
Yes, as of 0.20beta this works (I put mine under /hme) and I updated my instructions accordingly. It's a much nicer setup now.

|
Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 PM   #336
bluehz

Excellent - works perfect. I even went so far as to extract the streambaby dir named "streambaby-0.20beta" and then just made a symlink name "streambaby" to it. Then when I upgrade I can keep my old install, and just update the symlink to the new streambaby-0.XX dir.

Quote:
Yes, as of 0.20beta this works (I put mine under /hme) and I updated my instructions accordingly. It's a much nicer setup now.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:56 PM   #337
bluehz

Thx to windracer - I have streambaby-0.20beta up and running on my Ubuntu server under Galleon. I was watching the console tonight while perusing some videos and noticed ffmpeg kicking in on mp4 files that previously played without the aid of ffmpeg. I must say they did look good while playing, BUT,, this Ubuntu server is just a hobby machine built on an old 500Mhz dumpster PC and while the server was keeping up quite nicely with streambaby before, now that ffmpeg has been thrown in the mix - the server can't keep up and you can only watch about 5 secs before the video pauses to stream more. Remember these were videos that played fine before using streambaby.

Why are these videos getting processed by ffmpeg and how can I stop ffmpeg from processing these once acceptable files, while still keeping the ability for transcoding using ffmpeg only when it is TRULY required for playback?
Old 02-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #338
jasa

Quote:
My guess is that you don't have the classpath added correctly to the wrapper.conf file (step 4) or you didn't use the next sequential number in the classpath line (there can't be any gaps).
Can you tell me how to figure out this class path ???????? I also thought that that was only thing coursing problem but decided to ask )))
jasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #339
jasa

Smile

Quote:
Where do you see the resources not available? In the log, or on the screen. (and what color is it if it is on the screen...) It's not a message I recognize off the top of my head.

I'd also be curious to see what happens if you let the TiVo "rest" for a couple of hours, and then go back and try to play one of the avi's that was giving you problems. I have seen problems when doing a lot of playing/positioning/etc with the tivo stop playing streams. I don't know what causes it, but a simple rest seems to take care of it. I get it mostly when I am testing over and over again.
I did not check the log file it was read note on gray screen on my TV it said something about resource being not available or can' t get it((( next time I will take a picture.

About tivo not working properly when we test that has happened to me also but only thing for me is restart of system that fixes it and I have to wait 4 minutes for tivo to boot up (((

I am also doing couple of test and once I will be done i will try to post my results and founding here

--------------------------------------------------------
Also When adding password for just one directory on .20 version direcotry dissapiars on tivo screen and also when setting not to remember passwrod by tivo (this was added new feature on .20) tivo still saves passord so anybody can acsses files once passworded is entered

I do not know if I am only one having this problems and there is something wrong with mysetup or this is just overal bugs ???

Last edited by jasa : 02-01-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #340
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
Thx to windracer - I have streambaby-0.20beta up and running on my Ubuntu server under Galleon. I was watching the console tonight while perusing some videos and noticed ffmpeg kicking in on mp4 files that previously played without the aid of ffmpeg. I must say they did look good while playing, BUT,, this Ubuntu server is just a hobby machine built on an old 500Mhz dumpster PC and while the server was keeping up quite nicely with streambaby before, now that ffmpeg has been thrown in the mix - the server can't keep up and you can only watch about 5 secs before the video pauses to stream more. Remember these were videos that played fine before using streambaby.

Why are these videos getting processed by ffmpeg and how can I stop ffmpeg from processing these once acceptable files, while still keeping the ability for transcoding using ffmpeg only when it is TRULY required for playback?
They're probably not transcoding but using ffmpeg for thumbnails. I good clue is to see how active ffmpeg is when you're sending the video over. Also, you can disable ffmpeg but you have to disable thumbnails and then send it over.
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #341
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
I was watching the console tonight while perusing some videos and noticed ffmpeg kicking in on mp4 files that previously played without the aid of ffmpeg.
Hmm ... I'm seeing this too. I'm streaming an MP4 right now and ffmpeg is chewing up over 80% of the CPU so it's definitely transcoding, not just generating thumbnails. Also, when I exited out of streambaby, the ffmpeg process kept going.

I guess we'll have to try running streambaby outside of Galleon to make sure it's not a Galleon setup thing.

|

Last edited by windracer : 02-01-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #342
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasa View Post
Can you tell me how to figure out this class path ???????? I also thought that that was only thing coursing problem but decided to ask )))
In wrapper.conf there are a series of lines that look like this:
Code:
wrapper.java.classpath.1=/etc/galleon
wrapper.java.classpath.2=/usr/share/galleon/lib/jmdns-1.0.jar
wrapper.java.classpath.3=/usr/share/galleon/lib/*.jar
They tell Galleon where to search for all the different application .jar files. Those are my own lines show above (and I run Linux) so yours might look like C:\Program Files\Galleon\lib or whatever). You need to add a new line, with the next sequential number (it would be 4, using my sample lines above) that points to where you have streambaby installed, so maybe:

Code:
wrapper.java.classpath.4=C:\Program Files\Galleon\hme\streambaby-0.20beta\jbin\*.jar

|
Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #343
kearygriffin

Quote:
Hmm ... I'm seeing this too. I'm streaming an MP4 right now and ffmpeg is chewing up over 80% of the CPU so it's definitely transcoding, not just generating thumbnails. Also, when I exited out of streambaby, the ffmpeg process kept going.

I guess we'll have to try running streambaby outside of Galleon to make sure it's not a Galleon setup thing.
The easiest way to see if ffmpeg is running because of transcoding is to turn of the auto-generation of preview thumbnails:
preview.autogenerate=false

FFmpeg left running after streambaby exits actually points to this being a preview-generation thing. Depending on how streambaby is exited, the preview generation has a known issue where ffmpeg will continue running in the background. I've never seen it left running during a transcode (but it's possible).
Old 02-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #344
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
The easiest way to see if ffmpeg is running because of transcoding is to turn of the auto-generation of preview thumbnails:
That was it. After disabling previews, the same file no longer triggers ffmpeg "transcoding" (or the high CPU usage).

|
Old 02-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #345
jasa

Quote:
In wrapper.conf there are a series of lines that look like this:
Code:
wrapper.java.classpath.1=/etc/galleon
wrapper.java.classpath.2=/usr/share/galleon/lib/jmdns-1.0.jar
wrapper.java.classpath.3=/usr/share/galleon/lib/*.jar
They tell Galleon where to search for all the different application .jar files. Those are my own lines show above (and I run Linux) so yours might look like C:\Program Files\Galleon\lib or whatever). You need to add a new line, with the next sequential number (it would be 4, using my sample lines above) that points to where you have streambaby installed, so maybe:

Code:
wrapper.java.classpath.4=C:\Program Files\Galleon\hme\streambaby-0.20beta\jbin\*.jar

Thanks for help fixed it
Old 02-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #346
doormat

I'm using .20beta, and I started to stream a movie, and then SB crashed in "native code" msvcrt.dll or something like that.

SB .20b
Windows Home Server
Streaming a H.264 video encoded with handbrake (DVD res)
Old 02-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #347
bluehz

Didn't work for me - ffmpeg still spiked the cpu at 92% no matter what I played.

Quote:
That was it. After disabling previews, the same file no longer triggers ffmpeg "transcoding" (or the high CPU usage).

Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #348
Yoav

Quote:
Didn't work for me - ffmpeg still spiked the cpu at 92% no matter what I played.
are you sure it's not spiking it while transcoding? It's not too surprising to have it be at 90%+ while converting a movie to play...

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #349
bluehz

Thats what I am trying to determine here. Previous versions of SB played these mp4 flawelessly, now something is causing them to be transcoded and the ol' server can't handle that sort of load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
are you sure it's not spiking it while transcoding? It's not too surprising to have it be at 90%+ while converting a movie to play...

Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #350
Yoav

Quote:
Thats what I am trying to determine here. Previous versions of SB played these mp4 flawelessly, now something is causing them to be transcoded and the ol' server can't handle that sort of load.
Have you enabled the debugging logging? It usually prints out all the info about an mp4 before deciding to transcode or stream. (change 'Warn' to debug in simplelog.properties)

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #351
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Have you enabled the debugging logging? It usually prints out all the info about an mp4 before deciding to transcode or stream. (change 'Warn' to debug in simplelog.properties)
And also make sure to restart Galleon (I think) after adding the
in streambaby.ini, and also changing the simplelog.properties file. Streambaby probably won't reload its properties otherwise.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 AM   #352
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
And also make sure to restart Galleon (I think) after adding the
in streambaby.ini, and also changing the simplelog.properties file. Streambaby probably won't reload its properties otherwise.
Yes, this is absolutely correct.

|
Old 02-04-2009, 12:36 AM   #353
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklybutsexy View Post
There's no way to get this program to support closed captions is there? It has become my primary mode of adding .srt subtitles to movies using T2sami (very easy and quick ie...no re-encoding).
I have good news on this front. I decided just for fun to try and implement a simple closed captions renderer which reads T2sami .srt files. I am actually quite surprised that for videos where T2sami generates good captions with proper timing it actually works quite well (there were some videos where T2sami did not generate good captions while for others it did a great job).
I have a prototype working in tivostream already and the way it's written should be fairly easy to port to streambaby. So the next day or two I'll work on porting over to streambaby and pass along the code to Keary if he's interested in taking it.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #354
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I have good news on this front. I decided just for fun to try and implement a simple closed captions renderer which reads T2sami .srt files. I am actually quite surprised that for videos where T2sami generates good captions with proper timing it actually works quite well (there were some videos where T2sami did not generate good captions while for others it did a great job).
I have a prototype working in tivostream already and the way it's written should be fairly easy to port to streambaby. So the next day or two I'll work on porting over to streambaby and pass along the code to Keary if he's interested in taking it.
Sounds cool...
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #355
bakerja

This product really shows promise

I installed steambaby last night on an old P4 2.4ghz machine and was pleasantly surprised when I got a file to stream on the first attempt! In fact it seems to handle mpg2 files quite well. I had trouble with mpg4 files encoded with sorenson squeeze. It would play audio but black screen for video. Also TIVO high def files that were saved to the system via tivo desktop could not keep up. They would play for a few seconds and freeze.

All of these files were playing on a RAID5 NAS on a gigabit network. I'm going to try some from the local hard drive tonight to make sure it is not a limitation of the NAS but I suspect the nas is fine.

Do you know what the requirements of the CPU/RAM are? Does it take a dual core or better to stream the mpg4 and TIVO high def files?

Thanks for a great start!
JAB

edit: This is on a TIVO HD

Last edited by bakerja : 02-05-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: add comment
bakerja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #356
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
Do you know what the requirements of the CPU/RAM are? Does it take a dual core or better to stream the mpg4 and TIVO high def files?
My Linux server where I run streambaby is a 3.0GHz Pentium 4 with 1gb of RAM and I'm not having any performance issues streaming MP4s to my HD TiVos.

|
Old 02-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #357
moyekj

Quote:
Also TIVO high def files that were saved to the system via tivo desktop could not keep up. They would play for a few seconds and freeze.
Streaming speeds seem to be same as TTG/TTCB speeds so getting more than 13 Mbps or so under normal circumstances is not possible. Probably if you try and transfer to your Tivo with Tivo Desktop and watch at the same time you would see same problem. One workaround to the issue is if you convert your HD .TiVo files to .mpg (very quick process) then Streambaby has ability to downconvert (throttle) the bit rate on the fly when streaming it to your Tivo, but of course you get lower quality that way. Other workaround is re-encode to H.264 with AC3 audio (lengthy process). That would result in a slight loss of quality but you should be able to play back the result natively to Tivo without any bit rate throttling.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #358
kearygriffin

Quote:
...I had trouble with mpg4 files encoded with sorenson squeeze. It would play audio but black screen for video.
It's hard to know for sure, but the only time i have seen this particular issue (mp4 with's audio but black screen for video) is when the video is marked as being > level 4.1 (a level specifies what kind of decoder is necessary to decode the h264 video).

TiVo only supports <= level 4.1.

At some point I may try work around this by changing MP4 streams that specify level 5 or 5.1 to "lie" to the Tivo and specify 4.1 instead. I suspect (but it is only a guess) that most Mp4 streams that specify level 5 or 5.1 don't really mean it. 4.1 is good to up to 50Mbit where level 5 is 135Mbit/s. There are some other differences, but I don't think they would come into play except in situations with video > 50Mbits/s.

There might be utilities out there to edit the mp4 and the change the AVC level, but I'm not familiar with them.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #359
bakerja

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Other workaround is re-encode to H.264 with AC3 audio (lengthy process)
I am considering this for space saving anyway. Any recomendations on an easy batch render app for windows?

JAB

bakerja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #360
moyekj

Quote:
I am considering this for space saving anyway. Any recomendations on an easy batch render app for windows?

JAB
kmttg
Use tivostream_hd profile for HD encoding (or tivostream_sd for SD encoding).
Or if you don't want to mess with that just use ffmpeg directly with something like following recipe:
Code:
ffmpeg -y -i INPUTFILE -vcodec libx264 -coder 0 -level 31 -r 29.97 -sameq -g 300 -bufsize 14745k -b 8000k -maxrate 16000k -bug "+autodetect+ms" -me epzs -trellis 2 -mbd 1 -acodec copy -f mp4 OUTPUTFILE
(Obviously replace INPUTFILE and OUTPUTFILE accordingly)
8000k bit rate is a little bit of overkill so you may want to reduce that a little.

Last edited by moyekj : 02-05-2009 at 06:00 PM.