TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
gdbrowning

Tivo Desktop 2.8 File Transfer Problem

I just upgraded to Tivo Desktop 2.8 on my Windows 7 machine. On my first attempt (and second, and third, etc.) to transfer a recording from my Tivo HD to my PC, the transfer failed with the message "The system cannot find the file specified." The TIVO Desktop server appears to be running properly and all of the recordings on my Tivo are visible in the "Pick Recordings To Transfer" list.

Anyone else run into this issue? Any ideas about how to solve it?
gdbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yes. Uninstall TD from your computer using the remove all option.
Run the Tivo Desktop cleaning utility. http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/ti...topCleaner.zip
Reboot your computer (this may not be required, it's just something I did)
Install TD 2.8
It should work after that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Kevin D42

I have the same problem with the same setup (TD 2.8 and Windows 7 64-Bit). Did the remove, clean and install thing twice, no success.

I reviewed the logs in detail. It appears the MAK is not being retrieved properly prior to requesting the transfer from the Tivo.

Can anyone help? Must be a Windows 7 issue?

Thanks

Last edited by Kevin D42 : 11-07-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Kevin D42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
gdbrowning

Thanks for the reply. I tried uninstalling TD 2.8 using the Remove All option (I didn't pick that option the first time around). Then I ran the cleaner utility, rebooted, then tried the 2.8 install again. The problem still exists. I really like the "one-click" solution that is the promise of Tivo Desktop Plus but, man, this program has caused me so much grief, version after version after version. I guess it's back to the multi-step process of kmttg until Tivo gets its act together.
gdbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
Breadfan

I'm having the same problem since 2.8.
Breadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
johnelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadfan View Post
I'm having the same problem since 2.8.
Me too. 2.7 didn't upload files but it could download. Then after Windows 7 the server was crashing every few minutes. Upgraded to 2.8 over the weekend and now it can't download files.

This is one of the worst pieces of software I've ever used (let alone paid for).
johnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
Simms14

I have the same problem. If I uninstall and run the cleaner. I can reinstall and watch my .tivo files however I cannot transfer and get error message saying I have the wrong Media Access Key. Once I got into File-Set Media Access Key and put it in, I lose the ability to watch any .tivo files and when I attempt to transfer files, I don't get the wrong MAK key message but I cannot transfer anything and it tells me the The System cannot find the file specified. This really sucks! I wish Tivo would fix this software
Simms14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 AM   #8
jasonander

I'd like to chime in with a "me too". Upgraded Tivo Desktop 2.6.1 to 2.8 on Windows 7. Prior to upgrade, transfers were working fine, however I was unable to play back my videos. Trying to transfer after upgrading to 2.8 resulted in "The system cannot find the file specified." I tried uninstalling 2.8, ran the cleaner, reinstalled, and then my programs would play back, however when I tried to transfer it said that I needed to enter my MAK. So I entered it, and then my programs would not play back anymore, and when I try to transfer programs, I get the program listing, but "The system cannot find the file specified" after I initiate a transfer. Blerg. I'm also unable to transfer files from the web interface too.

Anyone find a solution yet?

---

Update:
I uninstalled 2.8 and reinstalled 2.6.1. I now can transfer programs, but can't play back anything again ("Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file"). Ugh.

Last edited by jasonander : 11-11-2009 at 01:36 AM.
jasonander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
RioWilson

FWIW I am having exactly the same problem - very frustrating! I have tried all the same things with no success.
RioWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #10
Bing3000

Ditto. Windows 7 32bit HP, desktop 2.8, 1 Series 2, 1 TiVo HD. Did everything mentioned. Playback and transfers worked for a while, now zip.

TiVo Playlist works fine for transfers, and VideoReDo still works for DVD crunching...

http://tivoplaylist.dyndns.org/

http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

TiVoplaylist is free, VideoReDo is a purchase, but works great...
Bing3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Effinay

Same issue here. Uninstall/Clean/Reinstall doesn't work. Using Win7 32-bit.
Effinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
RichieL

YEP This is a Problem with 2.8 and win7 64 bit

I have had this problem also since the upgrade and have tryed many many different things and nothing works, I know that the WMP is working cause all of my other videos work fine, Any other idears and please the odvious things were already tryed like the uninstall, tivo cleaner this does NOTHING. Thanks
RichieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
sdstang65

Same here. windows7 64bit. Was able to transfer with v2.7 and Vista 64-bit. Upgraded to windwos 7 and TD v2.8 this weekend. Transfers no longer work.
sdstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
RichieL

sdstang65, Let me know if you come across any kind of salution, I will keep you posted as well, I think that I read somewhere the Tivo knows about the problem with their software and that they are going to release an upgrade to 2.8, we shall see.
RichieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #15
carpe_diem

Same problem here - Win 7 x64, cleaned and upgraded to 2.8

No transfers or viewing.
carpe_diem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #16
tivoknucklehead

w7, 64 bit, new pc. after a struggle I got 2.8 to install when I chose "run as administrator". However, like others, I can't transfer anything to my Tivo, in fact none of my videos show up in "now playing" on my tivo, even though my new PC shows up in "now playing" and all my vids show up in "now playing" in tivo desktop 2.8.

I still have my old pc running 2.7 connected and they show up fine in Tivo "Now Playing". Is it maybe you can't have 2 pc's connected to Tivo at once?

note: if I run 2.8 as beacon it won't show up at all on Tivo "Now Playing"

Last edited by tivoknucklehead : 11-18-2009 at 07:52 AM.
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #17
ShadeD1

Same problem here Win 7 64 bit and tivo desktop 2.8
ShadeD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #18
jes91504

On Win7 64-bit home premium (upgraded from Vista 64-bit), I upgraded to 2.8 to fix the problem with broken photos, after using the cleaner utility. It did fix that problem, but as everybody else here is mentioning, I can't play existing recordings ("Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.") or transfer new ones ("The system cannot find the file specified."), though I can see them. I've been prompted a couple times to re-enter my MAK.

What I'd like to add to the discussion is that I installed TDCM, which plays the existing recordings with no problem. I tried setting different combinations of codecs, though the ones listed within the recording were not all available. In addition, when I try to view the MAK within TDCM, I get the message "GetSharingKeys - Error 0x000000EA (234)".

John S.
jes91504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #19
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
w7, 64 bit, new pc. after a struggle I got 2.8 to install when I chose "run as administrator". However, like others, I can't transfer anything to my Tivo, in fact none of my videos show up in "now playing" on my tivo, even though my new PC shows up in "now playing" and all my vids show up in "now playing" in tivo desktop 2.8.

I still have my old pc running 2.7 connected and they show up fine in Tivo "Now Playing". Is it maybe you can't have 2 pc's connected to Tivo at once?

note: if I run 2.8 as beacon it won't show up at all on Tivo "Now Playing"
I suggest uninstalling and trying again. Double-click or choose "open" instead of choosing "Run as".

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #20
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
I suggest uninstalling and trying again. Double-click or choose "open" instead of choosing "Run as".
thanks for the response. I am on Win 7 64 bit. I uninstalled, reinstalled and got 2.8 to "open" properly after I used Win XP service Pack "2" compatability mode (rather than "run as administrator" ) However, the "Now Playing" list on my Tivo is still empty
It does see my new PC though
Old 11-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #21
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Did you use the cleaner after uninstalling?

If you installed using “Run As…”, please uninstall TiVo Desktop using the Remove All option and check the box to “Remove all settings, including Media Access Key and TiVo Desktop Plus key.”

Last edited by TiVoJerry : 11-18-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #22
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Did you use the cleaner after uninstalling?

If you installed using “Run As…”, please uninstall TiVo Desktop using the Remove All option and check the box to “Remove all settings, including Media Access Key and TiVo Desktop Plus key.”
no I did not, I will try that next

update: ok, I uninstalled 2.8, ran tivo cleaner, reinstalled 2.8 normally in Win 7 mode (didn't have to use XP mode this time), , put back in my media access key and desktop + upgrade key into 2.8, reconnected the PC to my Tivo acount and re-created all the shortcuts to my various video sub-libraries in "My Tivo recordings" and under "Add video" in Tivo desktop. finally, I restarted my Tivo and rebooted my PC. I'm using Bonjour and yes the little tivo server icon is in the systray and running

after all this work the "Now Playing list" on my Tivo is still empty and I'm one frustrated user

Last edited by tivoknucklehead : 11-18-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #23
Kevin D42

Tivo Jerry,

I did all that also and still have the issue.

I checked the log files. My read of the logs is the MAK is not being retrieved from the Windows 7 registry properly.

I can send logs if you provide an email address.

Thanks for looking into this.
Kevin D42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #24
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

PM sent with email address.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #25
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
after all this work the "Now Playing list" on my Tivo is still empty and I'm one frustrated user
This may be a stupid question, but are you sure you have at least ONE authentic .tivo file in your My Tivo Recordings folder?

I ask because earlier today my Tivo was showing that my computer had no recordings.
I double checked my computer and even though it had mpeg videos in that folder, it didn't have any .tivo files in there.
Once I moved a .tivo file in there, the list came back up on the Tivo.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #26
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
This may be a stupid question, but are you sure you have at least ONE authentic .tivo file in your My Tivo Recordings folder?

I ask because earlier today my Tivo was showing that my computer had no recordings.
I double checked my computer and even though it had mpeg videos in that folder, it didn't have any .tivo files in there.
Once I moved a .tivo file in there, the list came back up on the Tivo.
not a bad thing to try, and I had no .tivo files in now playing (JUST MPEGS AND AVIS), but even after adding one its still blank on the tivo now playing, and prior versions of tivo desktop didn't require a .tivo file to be in now playing
Old 11-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #27
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Okay, one other thing to try.

Are you running the Desktop server on Bonjour or is it using the Tivo Beacon? (Tivo Server properties under the network tab)

Whatever you're using now, switch it over and see if things work.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 11-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #28
danjw1

I don't use the Windows 7 firewall so I found that I has to open port 5353 for both TCP and UDP, from another thread here. I don't know if this will help or not.

Also, to get Tivo desktop to work on my system, I broke down and ended up doing a clean install. I backed files and settings up on another hard drive in the system and and then just wiped the partition out from the Windows 7 installer and created a new on in its place. The installed to that. This did end up putting a lot of stuff into c:/user/user name/ instead of where I had it. But other than that, every thing just worked, other than the one issue with the non-Windows 7 firewall software.

A clean install is usually the best way to go when upgrading to a new OS. I didn't really want to spend the time to do it. But, in the end that helped get everything working right.
danjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #29
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Okay, one other thing to try.

Are you running the Desktop server on Bonjour or is it using the Tivo Beacon? (Tivo Server properties under the network tab)

Whatever you're using now, switch it over and see if things work.

when I switch 2.8 from Bonjour to beacon the PC disappears altogether from the Tivo "Now Playing" list, even after a reboot, and I tried this twice
nothing seems to work to fix this
Old 11-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #30
tivoknucklehead

I even tried to revert back to 2.7 and kept getting runtime errors. Then I uninstalled, ran cleaner and installed 2.6.2 but could not even get it to open, kept getting "Bonjour service is not running" even though it was running

I'm at wits end here, I've spent hours on this nonsense. I'll reinstall 2.8 and wait for a fix