TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
markvran

No Video on TIVO after update.

I have a TiVo Series 2 Toshiba SD-H400 box. I only get TV through over-the-air broadcast and an RCA converter box. Everything was working find until Saturday morning when I found the machine frozen. I understand there was a major update overnight. So I did a restart of everything. It rebooted nicely except for one thing: there was no video. I got to that screen that asks "Do you see a picture?", I had no picture (or sound). Just blackness. I have video coming from the BNC connection on the converter box into the TIVO machine. I unplugged it from the TIVO machine and put it directly into the TV and there was video!! I replugged it back into the TIVO and still nothing. I rebooted a couple more times. Nothing! I found TIVO literature on how to set up your machine with a converter box and followed it religiously - even using composite cables now instead of BNC coax. Still nothing! Does anybody know what's going on? What did the update do that could mess this up? How do I fix it? I can still watch TIVO recorded shows just fine. TIVO also downloads the new guide just fine (over WIFI). I'd really really appreciate it if somebody could help. Thank you very very much.

markvran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
jssmcarlo

Just a thought, have you checked to make sure "source input" on the "system info" screen lists the correct input your using to connect the converter box to the TiVo?

jssmcarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
markvran

Yes. The source input line says "composite". This is one of the things I investigated. I don't think you can set this yourself in TIVO. I think it's automatic ... that is, when TIVO senses a change. In other words, I did not change it to "composite" when I started to use composite cables instead of coax. TIVO changes it.

On the other hand, the TV does have a source input setting that the user can access.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:32 AM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Normally, the converter box is set to channel 3 or composite.
Normally, to change from using Channels (3 in this case) to composite, the Tivo box needs to rerun Guided Setup to use composite.

This applies to the regular Series 3 Tivos and not sure of the SD-H400. It wouldn't hurt to try, or you can make sure the SD-H400 is set to channel 3.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to start streaming on Roamio/Bolt!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:41 AM   #5
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Normally, the converter box is set to channel 3 or composite.
Normally, to change from using Channels (3 in this case) to composite, the Tivo box needs to rerun Guided Setup to use composite.

This applies to the regular Series 3 Tivos and not sure of the SD-H400. It wouldn't hurt to try, or you can make sure the SD-H400 is set to channel 3.
I believe you meant Series 2. Series 3 doesn't have composite input nor coax input on a specific channel.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
I believe you meant Series 2. Series 3 doesn't have composite input nor coax input on a specific channel.
Just a slip of the keys.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to start streaming on Roamio/Bolt!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #7
markvran

I didn't know the channel 3 setting strictly refers to coax and has nothing to do with a composite set up. Regardless, before the update I was connected with coax and everything was fine. After the update and the resulting no video problem I reran the guided setup and connected with composite. Still no video. The TIVO system information screen now reads "composite" (and "antenna"). But I see just a black screen still. This couldn't be hardware, could it?

So now I am stuck with viewing TIVO strictly to see the tv guide (on the black screen) to see what's on TV tonight and then bypassing the TIVO to watch TV without recording ability nor pause and reverse capabilities.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #8
mattyro7878

does the tv have a composite input or one of those component/composite co
mbos? maybe your cable is in the a-wrong composite input or b- wrong color of component input or... c- you are using the component input correctly but have chosen a composite input on the tv. this is assuming the tv is a few years old but not too old

mattyro7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
markvran

Thank you for that note. If I'm understanding you right, you are thinking that the problem lies not with the connection from the converter box to the TIVO machine but rather from the TIVO machine to the TV. In other words the TIVO is working perfectly - all I have to do is get the TV hooked up right ... However I think the TIVO to TV connection is working fine for a couple different reasons. When I am viewing the TIVO menuing system everything looks like it should. That is, they are in the correct colors, and displays perfectly. And when I choose the view TV (still through TIVO) then I see problems. First, the screen is totally black and second, TIVO displays a message saying "searching for an antenna signal".

Here is something weird that happened last night. At least to me it was weird. I was watching TV bypassing TIVO. That is, the video signal was coming straight from the converter box to the TV (although the TIVO also was still plugged into the TV but I set the TV source input to watch not the TIVO line but rather the line coming straight from the converter box). Anyway I had previously set the TIVO to record the Kimmel tv show (back when the TIVO was working fine). But again, I was viewing the TV bypassing TIVO, i.e. straight from the converter box. But at 10:35 the tv channel I was watching automatically changed ABC (to Kimmel). And the Kimmel show looked beautiful. But TIVO instead was now recording the black screen! Kinda funny.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #10
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvran View Post
Thank you for that note. If I'm understanding you right, you are thinking that the problem lies not with the connection from the converter box to the TIVO machine but rather from the TIVO machine to the TV. In other words the TIVO is working perfectly - all I have to do is get the TV hooked up right ... However I think the TIVO to TV connection is working fine for a couple different reasons. When I am viewing the TIVO menuing system everything looks like it should. That is, they are in the correct colors, and displays perfectly. And when I choose the view TV (still through TIVO) then I see problems. First, the screen is totally black and second, TIVO displays a message saying "searching for an antenna signal".

Here is something weird that happened last night. At least to me it was weird. I was watching TV bypassing TIVO. That is, the video signal was coming straight from the converter box to the TV (although the TIVO also was still plugged into the TV but I set the TV source input to watch not the TIVO line but rather the line coming straight from the converter box). Anyway I had previously set the TIVO to record the Kimmel tv show (back when the TIVO was working fine). But again, I was viewing the TV bypassing TIVO, i.e. straight from the converter box. But at 10:35 the tv channel I was watching automatically changed ABC (to Kimmel). And the Kimmel show looked beautiful. But TIVO instead was now recording the black screen! Kinda funny.
That would be odd the tivo thought it was getting signal or would not record and say in history not recorded no signal, (at least any I have/had) did you try plugging the composite and coax into tivo when it switched on to ABC to see what happened?

cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:52 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvran View Post
I have a TiVo Series 2 Toshiba SD-H400 box. I only get TV through over-the-air broadcast and an RCA converter box. Everything was working find until Saturday morning when I found the machine frozen. I understand there was a major update overnight. So I did a restart of everything. It rebooted nicely except for one thing: there was no video. I got to that screen that asks "Do you see a picture?", I had no picture (or sound). Just blackness. I have video coming from the BNC connection on the converter box into the TIVO machine. I unplugged it from the TIVO machine and put it directly into the TV and there was video!! I replugged it back into the TIVO and still nothing. I rebooted a couple more times. Nothing! I found TIVO literature on how to set up your machine with a converter box and followed it religiously - even using composite cables now instead of BNC coax. Still nothing! Does anybody know what's going on? What did the update do that could mess this up? How do I fix it? I can still watch TIVO recorded shows just fine. TIVO also downloads the new guide just fine (over WIFI). I'd really really appreciate it if somebody could help. Thank you very very much.

When you say BNC do you actually mean F?

F is the threaded thing almost all cable TV uses, both on RG6 now and the older RG59 back when.

BNC is more of a spring loaded push and turn.

TiVos, here in the US, as far as I know, only offer F connectors, S-Video jacks, and RCA jacks for input/output of audio and video.

Never heard of one with a BNC jack on the back.

You see it (BNC) used (or at least used to) on some high end professional broadcast studio video monitors but rarely on consumer level equipment.

Anyway, make sure that your converter box ouputs on both the RF (which would be the threaded thing, and you have to tune the TV to channel 3 or 4) and the composite (yellow) jack at the same time, or if not, that you know how to select which you get.

Then insert the TiVo into the chain between the converter and the TV and make sure you have a live video signal present on whichever converter box output you choose to feed to the TiVo before you run setup.

You can't just tell the TiVo which input you want to use, it has to sense a signal on it or it won't setup properly.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote