TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2015, 02:21 AM   #1
mdeck

"volume header corrupt" on TCD652

Hi,

I have a TCD652, lifetime service. A couple of years ago, the hard drive crapped out, so I replaced it with a 1-gigger from DVRupgrade (WD10EURX -- WD "green"). Well, now that one has crapped out, too (GSOD in-between reboots) -- and with a LOT of shows on it. I'd like to get them back.

You'd 'a thunk I would have learned from the previous failure and made a backup, but I didn't. I promise I won't let that happen again!!!

I've got a USB to SATA adapter on a laptop running Win7. I did not let Windows do anything to the drive. I ran WD's extended diags -- it reported no issues.

I can get MFSlive and WinMFS to recognize the drive (/dev/sdb), but msfinfo tells me "volume header corrupt." Partition list looks generally TiVo-like. (It's been many years since I worked in Unix/Linux, but I can try to capture and post here if the specifics are important/helpful.)

The drive is still under WD's warranty, so I may be able to get a replacement -- with nothing on it, of course. Is that necessary/advisable (since it passed diags)? (They'll undoubtedly give me a refurbished unit, and I don't have much faith in refurbs.)

Whether or not I get a new drive: Is there anything I can try to get back my shows (and season passes and all)? I've scoured this forum and other sources for many hours over the last couple of days, haven't found anything else that sounded promising enough to try (mostly because everything involves dual drives, and I don't have that luxury).

I'd rather not spend much money, but if there's something I can buy cheap-ish that would allow me save my shows and is easy to execute, I'll take it. (Not asking too, too much, am I?

Failing "cheap/easy/effective," I'm willing to try anything. (Let me warn you that vacation is coming up soon, so might not respond quickly a few days from now.)

HHEEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!

Tia!

-- mmd

mdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:17 AM   #2
Thom

If you're sure it's the hard drive, try running Spinrite level 2 on it.

Another thing that might work is to use MFSTool v3.2 to copy the problem drive to a new drive.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I just replaced a WD10EADS in my model 652 after it locked up once and spontaneously rebooted once in a 24 hr period (after running for years without doing that). My power supply inspected/measured OK so I assumed it was the HDD which was in operation for almost 6 years.

Details may be found here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...8#post10552958

The removed drive passes the WD diagnostics extended test. MSInfo does not show any disturbing messages such as your case. (So I'm left wondering if the HDD was the problem.)

If you don't want to get a warranty replacement from WD you could use the tools to install a fresh image, such as the ones linked in this post:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...4#post10193644

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
jmbach
der Neuerer

Can you post the output of mfsinfo?

Old 07-01-2015, 12:51 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeck View Post
Hi,

I have a TCD652, lifetime service. A couple of years ago, the hard drive crapped out, so I replaced it with a 1-gigger from DVRupgrade (WD10EURX -- WD "green"). Well, now that one has crapped out, too (GSOD in-between reboots) -- and with a LOT of shows on it. I'd like to get them back.

You'd 'a thunk I would have learned from the previous failure and made a backup, but I didn't. I promise I won't let that happen again!!!

I've got a USB to SATA adapter on a laptop running Win7. I did not let Windows do anything to the drive. I ran WD's extended diags -- it reported no issues.

I can get MFSlive and WinMFS to recognize the drive (/dev/sdb), but msfinfo tells me "volume header corrupt." Partition list looks generally TiVo-like. (It's been many years since I worked in Unix/Linux, but I can try to capture and post here if the specifics are important/helpful.)

The drive is still under WD's warranty, so I may be able to get a replacement -- with nothing on it, of course. Is that necessary/advisable (since it passed diags)? (They'll undoubtedly give me a refurbished unit, and I don't have much faith in refurbs.)

Whether or not I get a new drive: Is there anything I can try to get back my shows (and season passes and all)? I've scoured this forum and other sources for many hours over the last couple of days, haven't found anything else that sounded promising enough to try (mostly because everything involves dual drives, and I don't have that luxury).

I'd rather not spend much money, but if there's something I can buy cheap-ish that would allow me save my shows and is easy to execute, I'll take it. (Not asking too, too much, am I?

Failing "cheap/easy/effective," I'm willing to try anything. (Let me warn you that vacation is coming up soon, so might not respond quickly a few days from now.)

HHEEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!

Tia!

-- mmd
You can save the output of WinMFS's

mfsinfo

as a text file and post it here.

Since you have and know how to use the MFS Live cd, run

pdisk -l /dev/sdb

and see what it says about that drive.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
mdeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Can you post the output of mfsinfo?
"volume header corrupt" is all I get out of mfsinfo. Doesn't matter if I run it through WinMFS or MFSlive.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
mdeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
If you don't want to get a warranty replacement from WD you could use the tools to install a fresh image, such as the ones linked in this post:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...4#post10193644

dlfl, please pardon my ignorance, but is there any way to restore only the parts of the image that are corrupt and leave intact all my recordings, season passes, etc.?

-- mdeck

Old 07-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeck View Post
dlfl, please pardon my ignorance, but is there any way to restore only the parts of the image that are corrupt and leave intact all my recordings, season passes, etc.?

-- mdeck
Maybe, but if so it's beyond my capabilities. Hope someone else can help you. I suspect if your volume header is corrupt it has resulted in corrupting your recordings.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
mdeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You can save the output of WinMFS's

mfsinfo

as a text file and post it here.

Since you have and know how to use the MFS Live cd, run

pdisk -l /dev/sdb

and see what it says about that drive.
mfsinfo:
Code:
volume header corrupt
pdisk:
Code:
Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sdb'
 #:                type name                              length   base       ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                                 63 @ 1         
 2:               Image Bootstrap 1                            1 @ 975246072 
 3:               Image Kernel 1                            8192 @ 975246076  (  4.0M)
 4:                Ext2 Root 1                            524288 @ 975254268  (256.0M)
 5:               Image Bootstrap 2                            1 @ 975778556 
 6:               Image Kernel 2                            8192 @ 975778560  (  4.0M)
 7:                Ext2 Root 2                            524288 @ 975786752  (256.0M)
 8:                Swap Linux swap                        262144 @ 976311040  (128.0M)
 9:                Ext2 /var                              524288 @ 976573184  (256.0M)
10:                 MFS MFS application region            589824 @ 977097472  (288.0M)
11:                 MFS MFS media region               975246007 @ 64         (465.0G)
12:                 MFS Second MFS application region     589824 @ 977687296  (288.0M)
13:                 MFS Second MFS media region        975246007 @ 978277120  (465.0G)
14:          Apple_Free Extra                               2041 @ 1953523127

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=1953525168 (931.5G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Let me know what you think.....

Old 07-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
jmbach
der Neuerer

Sent you a PM about what it would involve.