TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
ricsam

Question Tivo connected to another Charter account..Can't activate

Hi,

I bought a used Tivo online. Had a Charter tech over today to install the tuner and card. Charter could not activate my dvr because, they tell me, that this dvr is still registered with another active charter customer. They said I have to contact the customer and ask them to call in and remove the dvr from their account. I've contacted the seller and waiting for a response.

Has anyone come across this problem and know of a work around other than having to be at the mercy of the original owner/seller to take the time to contact Charter?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
ricsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

If this is Charter's equipment, it shouldn't have been sold in the first place. The person renting it should have returned it to them.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:31 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsam View Post
Hi,

I bought a used Tivo online. Had a Charter tech over today to install the tuner and card. Charter could not activate my dvr because, they tell me, that this dvr is still registered with another active charter customer. They said I have to contact the customer and ask them to call in and remove the dvr from their account. I've contacted the seller and waiting for a response.

Has anyone come across this problem and know of a work around other than having to be at the mercy of the original owner/seller to take the time to contact Charter?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
I know there's some US cable outfit (RCN?) that rents TiVos to their cable tv subscribers, but does Charter do this?

On the back of the TiVo, near where the AC power cord plugs in, there's a sticker, and on the sticker is the TiVo Service Number. This number is unique to that one unit, to that box sitting right there in front of you. You can contact TiVo and give them that number and ask them the account status and whether it is/was privately owned by an individual or if it was one they provided to a cable company to be rented out. Also, have you hooked this unit up to your phone line or home network so that it can contact TiVo, Inc.'s servers to download program guide data?

If so, and if it was owned legally by a private individual, you can ask TiVo to transfer that unit to your account with TiVo (if this is your first TiVo you'll need to set up that account and make arrangements for the paying of the monthly subscription fee for the TiVo Service, unless that unit has Service Level 5: Product Lifetime Service) because they will be able to see that the unit has contacted their servers from your Zip Code (and if you had stolen it from someone you'd have just given them your name and address and phone number when setting up the account or transferring the TiVo to your account with TiVo, Inc., so they feel pretty sure you didn't steal it).

What the Charter guy may have meant (if the seller was the legal owner and they have nothing to do with renting TiVo brand DVRs to their subscribers) is that the TiVo is still tied in their database to the cable card the other guy was using. Maybe he didn't turn that back in to them.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote