TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
jdmass

SDV - Charter Communications

It's been mentioned in a couple of threads that Charter is moving to SDV, at least in my area (Massachusetts), and many have received letters about getting a tuning adapter installed. I figured that I'd start this thread for people to report on the results of their SDV tuning adapter install.

I had 2 tuning adapters scheduled to be installed today, and aside from the fact that the installer only brought one, and had to go back for the second, the install went quite well -- much simpler than a cable card install. Installation was simply a matter of connecting the coax and USB cables and calling the cable dispatch office to hit the adapter box.

When the USB connection is made, the Tivo sees the tuning adapter and from the Messages and Settings-->Account and System Information-->Tuning Adapter screen you can test for channels being received through the tuning adapter. My Series 3 responded immediately once the cable company hit the box and displayed channels in the test screen. My Tivo HD took a bit of time and the installer disconnected and reconnected the USB cable several times before the test screen finally was able to display channels. The tuning adapter LED should be solid green when it is in a ready state.

So far so good. The next step is to see what happens in February when Charter actually changes over to SDV
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
szwjunk

Thanks for this post - most informative. I should have read this before I posted my query in the other thread about whether or not Charter has to "hit" the box to kick it into life!

Thanks also for responding to my post in the other thread. I shall call the Tech and/or Charter tomorrow, and get this resolved.

Steve in Southborough
szwjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
billneri

About two weeks ago my tuning adapter (I have a tivo series 3 with two s-cards installed) stopped working, i'm no longer receiving SDV channels from Charter on the Tivo. Charter rolled a truck to my house on Friday 10 July and told me I needed to swap out the two s-cards for m-cards. They didn't have them, so I had to set up another appointment. Over the phone Charter "hit" the tuning adapter but it didn't change anything. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm in Central Mass.
billneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
jdmass

I have the same setup as you: Series 3 and 2 s-cards (I also own a Tivo HD with 1 m-card, as well). Both of my boxes are still working fine.

About a month or so ago, I did have a glitch where both SDV boxes started flashing their green LEDs (instead of solid steady state normal operation). I called charter and they were able to "hit" both boxes and everything returned to normal. This problem hasn't come back.
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
tmrfe

I just received a letter in the mail today informing me of the Charter SDV switchover in Southern California (Burbank, Glendale, etc).

From the letter: "Charter has partnered with TiVo to identify you as a customer using a TiVo Cable Card device. Beginning on or after October 13th, you will need to install a tuning adaptor in order to continue receiving and recording all of your favorite channels."

Here's a couple of questions for the folks in Massachusetts and other areas where Charter's SDV is already in place: what channels (especially HD channels) were added after the transition? Have there been any noticeable changes in functionality, like a lag in changing channels? Is the video quality on the digital stations any better or worse?

I just want to get an idea of what we're getting ourselves into out here.
tmrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
coasterlb

TivoXL stopped working on Tue 7/14

Well I am in So Cal, Long Beach to be exact, and I started having problems with my Tivo. All my basic SD and HD channels come through on the m-card but not extended or premium. I was told by Charter on Tue that they were in the process of upgrading the system. I later found out by a Charter supervisor that they are upgrading to SDV and that might be the problem I am experiencing. Unfortunately I have not received any letter from Charter explaining this transition. I wont know for sure if it is just a cable card problem or SDV tuning adapter issue until Sun when the tech comes out. Either way, it has been a big pain in the a$$!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
hecvil
Hecvil

also in long beach and my premiums have gone out!

it looks like i've lost my hbohd, cinemaxhd and showtimehd! and for some reason, it also looks like certain non-hd channels (bravo, for example) are also out...

my wife noticed it yesterday... is it gonna be a truck roll? charter seems like they never have a clue with the tivo. they always want to say, "well, our dvr wouldn't have this problem."
hecvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
coasterlb

Basically for me, any channel above 31 is out (just shows a grey screen) except local sd and hd channels. I will let you know how my appointment goes on Sunday.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
hecvil
Hecvil

followup with charter tech support

heh heh. well, i just had two calls with charter. the first time i setup a call and was passed to a manager. when i mentioned the sdv and the tuning device, he grunted and hung up on me! no joke.

the second call i made passed me to a floor supervisor named chris in florida. he was understanding enough to give me $20 bucks off my bill and recommend that a senior tech be assigned to my truck roll, otherwise they wouldn't even know what to do.

he also gave me a suggestion that they might need to bring more than one tuner unit-- sometimes it takes trying out two or three units before it works with your tivo.

i still have my old hd box-- i was thinking of hooking it up in the interim-- but i'm worried i might lose my functional cable cards... wait, what am i saying?!?

let me know how it goes, fellow long beach resident!
Old 07-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
GShort

coaster, I have the exact same issue. Just discovered it today. Set up an appointment for Wednesday.

I mentioned SDV early in the call, since I just got the notification letter in the mail yesterday stating the tuning adapters will be required after October 27th, but the guy I talked to wasn't familiar with it, and said, somewhat logically, that it says October, which is some time away.

Anyway, I'll be watching for results from your technician visit.
Meanwhile, I'll call them back and request the adapter for the same service visit on Wed, since that is likely the fix.
GShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #11
coasterlb

Well turns out that I received a call from the technician that was suppose to come out. He told me that they have had a lot of cable card calls and ran out of cards. He asked me to check again to see if I still wasn't receiving the proper channels. He said he reauthorized the card and it might be working now. Well that did it.... I didn't have to remove the card/reinsert it or even restart the Tivo. I tried to get Charter to do this from the get go but the problem is that the people you talk to through customer service don't know what to do and they don't have dedicated technical support people for you to talk to- all they do is read off a troubleshooting script. Get the right person who knows what they are doing then you're problem is solved. BTW, I also got the letter from Charter about the SDV transition. He said I didn’t need to worry about getting an adapter until October and things should continue to work normally until that transition date.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
GShort

I had an outage today for about an hour.. TV and Internet completely out. Called it in, it was a known outage. While on the phone I went ahead and added for them to bring me the tuning adapter so that will be done with as well. I'll just wait for Wed's visit, rather than try calling them and convincing the call taker what needs to be done.

I was hoping the channels would be back after the outage, but still missing.

They did try sending a couple of different signals to my card when I called the first time, but still no good.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
hecvil
Hecvil

well, i called again in hopes that someone in the call center could escalate me to someone who could re-authorize the card. no dice. i guess i will wait till my Wednesday appointment and hopefully the guy can do it then...
Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
ablickle

Any progress in Long Beach?

Did any of you guys get your problem fixed? I have had the same "no channels over 31" issue since July 22. After several calls and alleged card resets, still no luck. Last night the technician told me that his status page showed a problem with digital channels that has been going on for more than 180 hours in zip code 90802.

I don't really want to stay home and wait for a truck roll, since it seems like a provisioning issue. Has anybody been able to get it fixed, and what was the solution?
ablickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #15
GShort

Thumbs up Fixed

Yes, Mine is fixed. Tech came out, made a phone call and requested an RF signal be sent. It was, and the channels came back. He said they were tying in a new node up north or something and that caused the problems on cable cards and some digital boxes. They are sending software updates to the boxes, but I guess the cards don't get the updates? Not real clear on that.

Anyways, in and out in less than 10 minutes.

I asked why the callcenter folks can't send an RF signal, and he said they are centrally located nationwide. There is no more call center for Long Beach area. I guess the RF signal has to originate in the region.

Maybe ask them to just have the tech call for an RF signal to be sent without him actually coming onsite, and you can check it when you get home? Of course, if it doesn't work, it'll be another 4-5 days to reschedule.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #16
ablickle

Thank you! That is very helpful! I will try to see if I can get them to somehow send the signal locally. Beats having to wait for the tech to come to my house... And if they do have to come out, maybe I can get them to bring the SDV adapter at the same time...
ablickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #17
GShort

I tried to do that, too (adapter), when I called about an unrelated outage before my scheduled truck date... told them to add it to the already-open call, but the tech never go the message, so I'll still have to do that.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #18
tmrfe

Charter Tuning Adaptor Install - NOT READY

I don't know about the Long Beach area, but if you're in Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena area, don't bother scheduling your tuning adaptor install, yet.

When I dialed the 888 number listed on Charter's tuning adaptor notice, the CSR was happy to set up an appointment for me. The only problem is that when the time came for the truck roll this morning, I got a call (I believe from the local Charter office) informing me that the tuning adaptors are not ready to be deployed in this area, yet, and the technicians have not been trained on their installation. The appointment will have to be rescheduled for early October.

The only bright spot was that, when I first made the call to Charter, the CSR offered me the HBO/Cinemax package for $1.00/month for a full year. So, if you're interested in that great deal, maybe now is the time to pretend you're calling about your tuning adaptor install.
tmrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #19
cptlapcat

Expediting Tivo Tuning Adapter Installs

Yesterday, I got a call from a Charter supervisor for the Pasadena area and she said the are expediting the roll-out of the free Tivo tuning adapter. She asked when I would like it installed. I said "How about today?". Two hours later and after a very quick install my Tivo was up and running.

The installer said several people are in training and that about 20 units have been installed so far. I don't know if that is just his area or the whole area.
cptlapcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #20
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptlapcat View Post
The installer said several people are in training and that about 20 units have been installed so far.
Training....what is there they need to train about? A tuning adapter has a power plug, coax in and out. They hook it up, call to get the box authorized and you are done. A 10 year old could do it.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #21
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Training....what is there they need to train about? A tuning adapter has a power plug, coax in and out. They hook it up, call to get the box authorized and you are done. A 10 year old could do it.
Well the two (Time Warner) installers I had could have used 5 or 10 minutes of "training". The TA was clearly not something they were familiar with. They fumbled around a couple of minutes and deduced how it had to be connected. I insisted we wait until we had a constant green light -- not sure they would have even worried about that otherwise. They had no idea what channels I was supposed to get on my service and thus obviously couldn't know which ones were SDV. After they left I deduced I wasn't getting nearly all the channels I should and the TA needed to be rebooted (and channels rescanned). They had no knowledge of the DVR and TA diagnostic screens and what to check there to verify TA operation. The TiVo instruction sheet that comes with new TiVos shortchanges these details too -- although the installers would have ignored it anyway if I hadn't been working with them.

There are two ways to re-initialize the TA/TiVo combination: Disconnect the USB cable (or) Power cycle the TA. I don't know if these are equivalent but the installers should know this. I've read that the order of connecting up the power, cable and USB connections can make a difference. Another training topic.

If you have a cable provider that actually takes TiVo installs seriously and trains their installers, feel lucky.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #22
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
What about USB? You forgot that. Installation of a TA is slightly more complicated than a regular STB. Of course training is involved for a brand new device that only works on 2 TiVo models.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #23
rnowicki

Just got my TA in Pasadena yesterday. First truck roll the guys didn't bring a TA, said the work order just specified I needed cable cards. Second truck roll about an hour later was a single worker who had the TA. TA hookup was easy, but the blinking green light wouldn't go away. After several calls back to the office they finally figured out the problem was on their end. Apparently since I am running video and internet, the setup at the office is a bit different than for video only. Once we had the steady green light the tech left. He siad that none of the channels were being sent on SDV yet, but that would start up at the beginning of October.

The TA box itself is a rather large Cisco box, practically as big as a normal cable box that the cable company might deploy. Am I the only one that finds it ironic, that after all the trouble so many people went through to get the cablecard implementations in place and working properly, that the basic structure of the content delivery would change so much as to now require having a separate cable box anyway? I guess the bottom line is that no implementation is future proof.

Robert

Last edited by rnowicki : 08-24-2009 at 02:56 PM.
rnowicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #24
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnowicki View Post
.......The TA box itself is a rather large Cisco box, practically as big as a normal cable box that the cable company might deploy. Am I the only one that finds it ironic, that after all the trouble so many people went through to get the cablecard implementations in place and working properly, that the basic structure of the content delivery would change so much as to now require having a separate cable box anyway? .......Robert
Given the problems (i.e., reduced reliability) with SDV and TA's I would say it goes beyond "ironic"!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #25
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnowicki View Post
Am I the only one that finds it ironic, that after all the trouble so many people went through to get the cablecard implementations in place and working properly, that the basic structure of the content delivery would change so much as to now require having a separate cable box anyway?
I hear you! I loved the fact that cable cards got rid of that big ugly box sitting above my Tivo. Now I will have another ugly box there again using my electricity. WTF?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #26
shrike4242

I really really hope that when SDV rolls out to the St. Louis area, we don't have the huge Cisco 1520 TA and have something more reasonable in size, like the Motorola MTR700.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:49 AM   #27
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
I really really hope that when SDV rolls out to the St. Louis area, we don't have the huge Cisco 1520 TA and have something more reasonable in size, like the Motorola MTR700.
sdv is coming to st. louis?

i hope not. i record most shows from the antenna anyway
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #28
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
sdv is coming to st. louis?

i hope not. i record most shows from the antenna anyway
SDV is coming to most Charter markets by at least next year.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #29
Polekat

Wow, I've been seriously looking at dumping my Charter DVR for TiVo but if I will have to have a big ugly TA sitting on top of my TiVo I may forget it.

Polekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #30
Resist

Even if you have to get that big ugly Tuning Adapter, Tivo is a much easier interface to work with than any Charter DVR.