TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
s4lenzo

Media access key series 1

I just purchased a used series 1 with turbonet card, i registered it in my name and it appears in my account on tivo.com but i cant figure out how to get the media access key to connect it to my other tivo(series 2) or to tivo desktop on computer. I've forced three downloads through inernet and all were sucessful, but no media key shows up yet. it is running 3.0 software. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott
s4lenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Series 1 won't do it. It has no "stock" capability for transferring and no MAK. The turbonet card is a networking modification that is not supported by TiVo.

Also, the format of Series 1 recordings is different from that of the Series 2. You can do some Googling and see what can and can't be done to help you with your dilemma.
TivoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, Galleon, Movieloader, JavaHMO, tivoserver, etc.
unclemoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
ciper

unclemoosh is right. The S1 is essentially a 10+ year old design.

There are hacks to get video in / out of it though.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemoosh View Post
The turbonet card is a networking modification that is not supported by TiVo.
I would consider the fact that Tivo did include the drivers for the turbonet card in the software, as supporting it. It's sole purpose is for making guide data connections without a land phoneline.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
ciper

Scandia101 But you still must remove torx drivers and open the case, which voids the warranty, to install it. It's officially not supported just like the backdoors.

The drivers weren't included to support the Tivonet card, it just happens to have the same chipset as the supported USB adapters.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Not to start anything, but according to 9thtee:

"This product, like most all hacking items, requires some knowledge about networking and the TiVo. ALL technical support will be handled on the SiliconDust Forum. Please post all questions on the forum and lots of people can help. Once again, ALL technical support will be handled on the SiliconDust Forum. Please post all questions on the forum and lots of people can help."(emphasis added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
It's sole purpose is for making guide data connections without a land phoneline.
If all you use it for is guide data, you spent a lot of money for a little benefit. You can do SO much more...

Last edited by unclemoosh : 01-09-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemoosh View Post

If all you use it for is guide data, you spent a lot of money for a little benefit. You can do SO much more...
Are you trying to pick an argument over your opinion? or are you just trying to let us know how great you are because you can hack a Tivo?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Are you trying to pick an argument over your opinion? or are you just trying to let us know how great you are because you can hack a Tivo?
Both, uuuh, Neither

Ego non bardus sum.

Have a nice weekend, scandia101

Last edited by unclemoosh : 01-09-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: semper ubi sub ubi ;)
Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Just to clarify this a little... The Series 1 units do not have any of the home media features that your Series 2 units have. That includes transferring programs between TiVos (aka MRV), transferring programs from your TiVo to your PC (aka TiVoToGo) and play music and photos on your TiVo (aka HME). In it's stock form all a Series 1 unit with a TurboNet card can do is make it's daily call via the internet instead of using a phone line. However if you're the hacker type the TiVo can be modified so that you can pull programs from it, and put program on it, but it's not the same as TiVoToGo so there is no media access key. It also requires special PC software to convert the programs pulled from the TiVo into normal MPEG formats that can be edited or put onto a DVD. The best place for info on that is another forum called Deal Database (Google it) that's where all the serious TiVo hackers hang out and post their info/tools.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote